Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,475 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see what was wrong with that maneuver. Lowndes never forced Kelly off the track, infact he left him room the whole time. If there really wasn't any room Kelly would have been spun out early on. Maybe Kelly expected Lowndes to cut him off hence he went onto the grass. Regardless, no foul play there :)
 
No I can't say for sure, well done, you can pick out I'm not Rick Kelly.:rolleyes: And just who are you to tell me what I do and don't like? Say hello to my ignore list, I don't have to read this fanboyish defence of Lowndes.

And you're calling me fanboyish, Well La di da. Why don't you go off in your Holden and cry.
 
Wow PMS Express Plane landed here. I'm a Holden Fan through and through. However Phillip Island in '06 or was it '07 Kelly took either Lowndes or Whincup out on turn 2 Pay back's a b****.....
 
That was for the championship too.... It meant Garth Tander claimed it if my memory is in average condition
 
Garry Rogers Motorsport are my favourite team, they haven't disappointed me yet! :D
 
No I can't say for sure, well done, you can pick out I'm not Rick Kelly.:rolleyes: And just who are you to tell me what I do and don't like? Say hello to my ignore list, I don't have to read this fanboyish defence of Lowndes.

And you're calling me fanboyish, Well La di da. Why don't you go off in your Holden and cry.

Knock it off, girls. This is tedious to listen to.
 
Changing the subject completely, what does everyone think of the Townsville circuit? It's obviously new for 2009 and while Will Davison seems to like it, I'm having a bit of trouble warming to it myself:

T400map_large.jpg


I can see what they were going for here: Adelaide-esque with half of the circuit on public roads and the ohter half built from scratch. There's a definite Silverstone vibe in there as well, with the square bottom half and a little bit sticking out to the side before the finish, but I can't help but feel it's going to be yet another claustrophobic street circuit, especially across the back section. They've somehow managed to squeeze thirteen corners into it, I can't help but think there's going to be no space to open wide on the throttle out of one corner and into the next after the second bridge all the way back to the Start/Finish Line.
 
2.8km is so short. I just can't stand the abundance of short circuits in Australia. :indiff: I'll try and remain positive otherwise, but considering how bad their last street circuit was, I'm not all that confident.
 
They can hardly build a five-kilometre Grand Prix-worthy circuit with limited space and funding, especially if it would only be used once in the year for the V8s.

And if you're referring to Homebush, I think it could be a surpise: long straights, evenly-spaced corners that are fairly consistent, close racing and the end of the season could mean it becomes the V8 equivalent of an oval.
 
They can hardly build a five-kilometre Grand Prix-worthy circuit with limited space and funding, especially if it would only be used once in the year for the V8s.
Yeah, I know the chances of a brand new 4-5km circuit are slim to none, but I can always dream. :sly:

And if you're referring to Homebush, I think it could be a surpise: long straights, evenly-spaced corners that are fairly consistent, close racing and the end of the season could mean it becomes the V8 equivalent of an oval.
I was referring to Hamilton, but I do agree that Homebush does look pretty good, actually.
 
I was referring to Hamilton, but I do agree that Homebush does look pretty good, actually.
I don't think it's that bad. Nice and fast in places, a few uneven surface changes, but the start line is in the wrong spot! I tihnk the first corner is too dangerous to be a first corner. They should cut out the chicane entirely and replace it with the Start/Finish Line; the pit entry could be down the left ride of the roundabout. It might be the worst stret circuit (unless we count Canberra, that was just dangerous in places), but it's by no means the worst circuit full stop. That (dis)honour goes to Queensland Raceway, followed closesly by Barbagallo (which could be saved by an upgrade and an extension).

As for Homebush, the only change I'd make is to the final turn. There's a concrete concourse right next to it, so I'd make the tenth corner a blind double-apex by running the exit out a little further.
 
So Townsville 400 in just one more day. Can't wait to see the V8's screaming around a new street circuit.:D Any predictions to who will be running towards the front? I personally just think the usual suspects, 888 Racing and Holden Racing Team. The best teams and drivers normally adapt to new circuits the best. Come on Holden, bring us home a few more wins.:D
 
I can see some serious boof and barge happening at turn 2.
Maybe team Cheataphone will rub HRT
 
I can see some serious boof and barge happening at turn 2.
Maybe team Cheataphone will rub HRT

There you go, a colour we can see.:D:lol:

Yeah, I agree. Turn 2 could be quite ugly, by the look of the track map it reminds me of turn 1 and turn 2 at Hamilton.;)
 
Townsville, eh? Will the Powerpuff Girls be making an appearance? :dopey:
 
I would have prefered you use BLUE, its a much better colour than red. :sly:

:lol: Well RED is my favourite colour, but you're not wrong. Holden is getting smashed this year which is pretty bad for us Holden fans.:( I thought last year was bad but 888 has really taken the bat to everyone at the start of this year unfortunately.
 
:lol: Well RED is my favourite colour, but you're not wrong. Holden is getting smashed this year which is pretty bad for us Holden fans.:( I thought last year was bad but 888 has really taken the bat to everyone at the start of this year unfortunately.

Yes they have and I know from a competitive racing fan's point it sucks. However, my aussie mates, since the morons at Ford Motorsport of Australia only are giving cash to SBR and FPR... 888 is sending a very clear message. Don't 🤬 with us.. because we will 🤬 y'all up. :sly:👍 --- Randy
 
... 888 is sending a very clear message. Don't 🤬 with us.. because we will 🤬 y'all up. :sly:👍 --- Randy

And boo who too anyone who gets in their way.

Just the way I like it.:sly:
 
:lol: Well RED is my favourite colour, but you're not wrong. Holden is getting smashed this year which is pretty bad for us Holden fans.:( I thought last year was bad but 888 has really taken the bat to everyone at the start of this year unfortunately.
Yes they have and I know from a competitive racing fan's point it sucks. However, my aussie mates, since the morons at Ford Motorsport of Australia only are giving cash to SBR and FPR... 888 is sending a very clear message. Don't 🤬 with us.. because we will 🤬 y'all up. :sly:👍 --- Randy
Sounds like "Road Rage - V8 Supercars style" to me.:D
 
Just a few videos I found on youtube of the Townsville 400.👍



I also downloaded the Work in progress version of the track for rFactor today and I thoroughly enjoyed driving it.👍 Seems like a great track to me.:)

Davison was fastest in practice today with 1'13.052. 2nd was Caruso and 3rd was Jason Richards. 4th was the Team Vodafone car of Jamie Whincup.
 
After seeing that slow lap - very slow lap, actually - I think there's a real Circuit Gilles Villeneuve vibe to it.
 
After seeing that slow lap - very slow lap, actually - I think there's a real Circuit Gilles Villeneuve vibe to it.
Same and there's a bit of an Adelaide look to it as well. It looks like it might be better than I first thought.

Also, those blue skies look great, I'm so jealous. :grumpy:
 
Same and there's a bit of an Adelaide look to it as well. It looks like it might be better than I first thought.
And Silverstone: turns two and three are reminding me of Stowe to The Vale and Club if only for the effect they have on the circuit's shape, while the last sequence of curves looks very Priory-Luffield-Woodcote to me.
 
Results after Friday's Practice session;👍

Practice top 10

Will Davison Commodore 1:13.0524
Michael Caruso Commodore 1:13.0588
Jason Richards Commodore 1:13.1433
Jamie Whincup Falcon 1:13.1557
Tony D’Alberto Commodore 1:13.3002
Shane Van Gisbergen Falcon 1:13.3257
James Courtney Falcon 1:13.4067
Fabian Coulthard Falcon 1:13.4294
Mark Winter bottom Falcon 1:13.4589
Steve Richards Falcon 1:13.4709

I personally think Whincup will find more speed from the Falcon, so it will be interesting to see the results after this mornings 35 min Qualifying session...:sly:

Lowndes-
“Like Jamie, our practice tyres weren’t the best and we didn’t think it was viable going to a green set so early in the weekend.

“Today was about learning the track and being patient, we didn’t want to spend the session chasing setup as the track changed,”
 
Last edited:
He's right. Friday practice sessions aren't worth anything. You could win them all, but there's still nothing in it. Just ask Nico Rosberg.
 
Here is the link to the Live V8 telecast on bigpond if you're interested in watching qualifying. They're about to start leg 2.;)

Live V8's telecast
 
So once again Team Cheatafone gets away with murder! With Cortneys and Holdsworths retirements from threating positions and to get away with taking out Perkins without a penalty c.lap 37 and slowing down on the last safety car lap and all without even a slap on the wrist is BS yet Patrici gets one for having a door open sometimes you just have to wonder

anyway bring on race 12
 
So once again Team Cheatafone gets away with murder! With Cortneys and Holdsworths retirements from threating positions and to get away with taking out Perkins without a penalty c.lap 37 and slowing down on the last safety car lap and all without even a slap on the wrist is BS yet Patrici gets one for having a door open sometimes you just have to wonder
Jack Perkins has a history of racing for position when he's a lap down and should yield for it. He did it at Winton and nearly look Lowndes out and I daresay he's done it before. If he had been on the lead lap - and given his miserable performances, I seriously doubt that - then Wincup would have been penalised.

Anyway, I'm underwhelmed by the Townsville circuit. The first half is good, but turn seven feels like a chicane purely for the purposes of having another left-hander because at the moment there's only three of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back