Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,056 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.51 car is getting a new driver for Townsville, and guess who it is!
1997 Formula 1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve is the shock fill-in for Greg Murphy in the Pepsi Max Crew Commodore at next month’s Sucrogen Townsville 400.

The Canadian will take the wheel of the #51 Commodore and make a cameo appearance, replacing the four-time Bathurst winner in North Queensland who recently underwent surgery to fuse two vertebrae.

“I feel for Greg Murphy having to miss a number of races in the championship as there is nothing worse for a race driver than sitting on the side lines with an injury and not being able to accumulate points in the series,” said Villeneuve from his home in Montreal.

“When this opportunity came up only one week ago, the stars all aligned and thankfully my commitments with the NASCAR Nationwide Penske team in America and Porsche Supercup in Europe allowed me to grab the Pepsi Max Crew seat for the Townsville race in an instant.

“I have checked out the whole Pepsi Max Crew Graffiti concept and it looks wild.

“I also understand if time permits that the guys are thinking about a specific livery for the Townsville race for me which will be cool. Like all drivers though, I am planning to first and foremost be competitive in the car as quickly as possible.

“V8 Supercars is a spectacular race series and I had a great experience on the Gold Coast back in October 2010.”

Villeneuve last sampled a V8 Supercar at the 2010 ARMOR-ALL Gold Coast 600 when he shared The Bottle-O Falcon with Paul Dumbrell.

The 1995 Indy 500 winner paired with Dumbrell to finish 22nd on Saturday after being involved in a lap one accident. They returned to finish fifth in the Sunday race.

The Canadian is one of only three men to have won the Formula 1 World Championship, Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar Series, joining Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi in the rare club to have won the ‘triple crown’.

“It’s real coup for North Queensland to have an international motorsport legend the calibre of Jacques coming to racing in Townsville for three days,” said V8 Supercars CEO David Malone.

“This will be the first time an ex-Formula 1 World Champion has driven a V8 Supercar in a stand-alone event which makes history for our sport. For Townsville this is huge news, he is a household name worldwide.”

Queensland Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey said attracting such a big name would raise the profile of the Townsville event and attract worldwide attention to the region.

“The Sucrogen Townsville 400 is already a highlight on Queensland’s motorsport calendar,” Minister Stuckey said.

“To have Jacques Villeneuve, a world champion from multiple categories, race in Queensland, is a big win for the event, and a big win for the state.

“The 2011 event was a huge success for the region, with more than 150,000 people attending; delivering an economic boost of more than $18 million. With great talent like Villeneuve in 2012, the event is expected to again deliver fantastic results.

“The Sucrogen Townsville 400 will be followed by the ICC Cricket World Cup in August and the NRL test in October, which demonstrates the Newman Government's commitment to hosting major international events in Queensland.”

Villeneuve is competing this weekend at Road America for Penske Racing in the first race of a two-race road course deal, driving the team’s #22 NASCAR Nationwide Series entry.

He will again step behind the wheel of the Penske-run entry on August 18 in his home city of Montreal after he competes in Townsville.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champ...spx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
 
JV has also talked up the idea of competing full-time in 2013. I'm not holding my breath, since he did the same thing after the Surfers Paradise race in 2010.
 
Well he can take over Murph's seat full time as I don't think he'll be around next year with the Kelly gang going to Nissan. As he's made mention before he's not going to be driving for any other manufacturer ie Ford
 
Murphy probably won't race in 2013 because of his back.
 
Oooo, Marco Andretti and Nick Heidfeld are going to run at Surfer's Paradise. Marco's going to be with Todd Kelly at Kelly Racing and Heidfeld's running with David Reynolds in FPR.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100547

I love this line from Andretti: "In terms of results, I definitely want to be competitive. I expect to run in the top 10" Todd cant even run in the top 10 consistently let alone Andretti :crazy: :lol:
 
I wonder if V8 Supercars really are as popular in America and Indycar as Andretti makes them out to be. Because although SPEED broadcast Bathurst live last year, nothing has been said about it this year ...
 
Did you notice how the article you linked to made no mention of V8 Supercars?

I see no evidence that Vodafone's review of their McLaren sponsorship has anything to do with Vodafone Australia ending their sponsorship of Triple Eight. Especially since Vodafone Australia is a subsitary of Vodafone, and has no ability to influence its parent company.
 
prisonermonkeys
Did you notice how the article you linked to made no mention of V8 Supercars?

I see no evidence that Vodafone's review of their McLaren sponsorship has anything to do with Vodafone Australia ending their sponsorship of Triple Eight. Especially since Vodafone Australia is a subsitary of Vodafone, and has no ability to influence its parent company.

Unless Vodafone Australia was reacting to pressure from the home office.

I wouldn't be surprised if FT didn't mention V8s -- the series doesn't have all that high a profile outside Oz, not among the general public at least.
 
Unless Vodafone Australia was reacting to pressure from the home office.
There has been nothing to suggest that. If anything, they have been reacting to public pressure, since they are notorious for bad coverage down here, and the money is going to be spent on upgrading their systems instead of sports.
 
prisonermonkeys
I wonder if V8 Supercars really are as popular in America and Indycar as Andretti makes them out to be. Because although SPEED broadcast Bathurst live last year, nothing has been said about it this year ...

I think it has a decent following but it's just limited what we can find out at times. Once they run over here, It will change.
 
SPEED is suppose to have the Bathurst race live again, as well as the Gold Coast race just like last year.
 
Really?

I haven't heard a word about it.
 
Though it is based off his helmet design as was for the last round (Murphy's helmet)
 
That doesn't mean it looks good. Didn't you read the part about eye-vomit?

Anyway, since you're a Kiwi, you'll appreciate this (if you didn't already know): the V8s are returning to Pukekohe for five years starting in 2013.
 
Thankfully that livery is not as bad as his music... though for that to happen it'd have to look like this. :lol:
 
It's great to see Pukekohe returning. That along with the Circuit of the Americas and Eastern Creeks return is good news, I was getting sick of these new street circuits popping up.
 
Great news that the V8s are returning to Pukekohe - while Hamilton was a decent track it could never provide the sheer spectacle that a high-speed track like Pukekohe could. Welcome back to the spiritual home of tintop racing in NZ, V8SC :)
 
Thankfully that livery is not as bad as his music... though for that to happen it'd have to look like this. :lol:

oh-god-why.jpg
 
You and me both. My god that's horrid.
While he doesn't specifically mention the livery, here's Sinead O'Connor's thoughts on racing in Townsville:



Great news that the V8s are returning to Pukekohe - while Hamilton was a decent track it could never provide the sheer spectacle that a high-speed track like Pukekohe could. Welcome back to the spiritual home of tintop racing in NZ, V8SC :)
Not so far - I'm hearing talk that a chicane could be installed somewhere along the back straight.
 
I imagine that idea would be shot down fairly quickly by the drivers...
 
They may not have a choice in the matter. From what I've heard - and I'm still trying to track down a reliable source - including the chicane is part of the upgrade the circuit will get, and the circuit cannot host the race without the upgrade. I remain sceptical myself, since I don't really see why a chicane would be necessary, but if this is true, then there is no doubt a method to the madness. I would object if it was a Hamilton-style tyre bundle chicane, but I probably wouldn't mind if it was more along the lines of the chicanes on the Mulsanne at La Sarthe. Sure, they slow the cars down, but at least they have a flow to them. That said, I have no idea where there would be space for a chicane, because most of the circuit is hard up against the horse racing track, and the only places where there would be some open space to build a chicane is too close to the hairpin.
 
Would have to be a very shallow chicane. The only place is towards the horse track on the inside unless they put in a railway crossing:lol:
Just reminded myself of the RC track I used to race at just half a K away from the circuit:D
 
Frosty on pole for Race 1. Starts in 10 minutes. :D
 
Jaques Villenuve and Greg Murphy? Sweet 👍
 
Mac K
Jaques Villenuve and Greg Murphy? Sweet 👍

Better watch for some crap moves being made! Granted I think V8 drivers are a little more rough around the edges.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back