Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,032 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I hope not. When I go to my first V8 race, I wanna see V8 drivers.
With the Car of the Future regulations coming into effect next year, there are going to be twenty-eight current-generation V8 Supercars with no home. Some of them have already been sold on to the Development Series, but perhaps VESA should consider purchasing them and leasing them out to American teams and give them unlimited testing so that they can enter as wildcards for the event. Failing that, they could commission the construction of Cars of the Future and have them built to suit American drivers (ie drive on the left, everything measured in imperial units), but that would be more expensive.

I'm just concerned they going to go for another bloody stupid gimmick like the Gold Coast 600. The problem with the race in Surfers' Paradise is that it counts for championship points, so the guest drivers are reluctant to push too hard for fear of crashing. The end result is that they trundle around in a procession for thirty-odd laps before handing the cars over to the regular drivers. You occasionally get good racing, like Whincup and van Gisbergen going toe-to-toe over the final laps a few years ago, or James Moffat's charge up through the grid last year, but for the most part, it's a marketing gimmick.
 
R1600Turbo
Me either. I already figure hotel + rental car will run me near $1,000 for the weekend.

I'm trying to get a game plan too. So far I have about $500 or so in travel, hotel who knows and tickets I bet $100. I'll glad take cheaper seats though but I don't know if COTA has grass sections for fans like general admission.

I'm still super stoked about them coming over period and hope for many years!
 
What a great first day of Bathurst!
 
A shame we can't see it live without streaming it.

Was there any reason why Speed never came back this year? I thought last year was awesome.
 
So who's up the mount now? Camping etc I canping 7 years in a row XD
 
Even though it looks like YET ANOTHER 888/possibly FPR lockout just like every race so far this year, I'm still gonna tune in...if I can find it? Doesn't appear to be on Motors TV like last year?! Or is that just me being thick :confused: :dunce:

Also, love the retro liveries. FPR's is probably my favourite :drool:
 
Even though it looks like YET ANOTHER 888/possibly FPR lockout just like every race so far this year, I'm still gonna tune in...if I can find it? Doesn't appear to be on Motors TV like last year?! Or is that just me being thick :confused: :dunce:

Also, love the retro liveries. FPR's is probably my favourite :drool:

motors tv dont have the rights to show it live.
 
Gah :grumpy: Shame. Tried staying up thru the night last year watching it live on Motors. Who's showing it in the UK then, if anyone? Not that I mind using that YT stream (thanks a bunch for that heads up btw), just seems a shame if noone is showing it on TV in the UK.
 
noone in the is 2 choices are the youtube stream or from the v8 supercar site
 
Wouldn't mind seeing Altimas, E63s and 6s going toe to toe with Falcons and Commodores, for the sport's sake I hope a Mazda switch does happen :)
 
Thank you very much 👍 The race actually starts live in about 21 hours?
The race starts at 10:30am, Australian Eastern Standard Time. Which translates - unless I'm very much mistaken - to about 8:30pm your time.
 
I'm sceptical. I think it would be a bad move, and for two reasons:

1) The first thing I thought of when I read about FinanceEzi is that is sounds a lot like Motor Finance Wizard, which comes across as a very shady - to the point of loan sharking, though I've never heard anything of that ilk about them - business. Admittedly, I don't know much about FinanceEzi, but something does sound amiss.

2) Secondly, and more importantly, Pickering's push to introduce Mazda to V8 Supercars seems to be intended simply to get plenty of media coverage for him and FinanceEzi with the annoucement, and then DJR are stuck with the cars. They've said that they are looking for manufacturer support, but Pickering's plan won't come with it, because Mazda aren't looking to get formally involved.

DJR should by lobbying for Chysler to get involved. They were interested earlier, and they are rumoured to be back in talks with GRM. But DJR have what GRM don't: an extra REC. As a three-car team, they would give Chrysler more of a presence on the grid. They could use that support to buy up the Triple F and Paul Morris RECs, streamlining the structure of the team and allowing them to employ whoever they wanted to drive.
 
I'm not really keen on the idea of Paul Morris bring in a car starting in one of the top 10 positions... Let alone on the grid at all.
 
Few people are, but it's far more likely that Steve Owen will start the race.
 
I'm curious without doing much reading, what are range of ticket prices to races?
 
Wilbur
I'm curious without doing much reading, what are range of ticket prices to races?
My turn 1 grandstand ticket (all four days) for the Clipsal 500 this year was $230. General admission though is about $40 for Thursday, $60 for Friday and $80 for Saturday/Sunday, add about $10 if you're purchasing at the gates. It is a lot of money but if you're a real motorsport fan it's worth it with all the support races and off-track events (live bands, rides, car shows, etc.). That's just Clipsal though, I can't speak for other events.
 
Hmmmm. I'd be all for that. New 6 is sexay.

Indeed it is and just imagine how it would look as a V8 Supercar. :drool:

But prisonermonkeys pointed out the reason's, why it's highly unlikely to happen.
 
Cap'n Jack
My turn 1 grandstand ticket (all four days) for the Clipsal 500 this year was $230. General admission though is about $40 for Thursday, $60 for Friday and $80 for Saturday/Sunday, add about $10 if you're purchasing at the gates. It is a lot of money but if you're a real motorsport fan it's worth it with all the support races and off-track events (live bands, rides, car shows, etc.). That's just Clipsal though, I can't speak for other events.

Those prices aren't too bad honestly, probably within ballpark of what I'd guess. Just hope they don't jack the prices for the race like F1 is.
 
Last edited:
Another great day at Bathurst!!
I was on the edge of my seat watching the Top 10 shootout and seeing how close the battle for pole was with Davison's and Whincup's times being so close!:drool:

It's going to be a great race tomorrow!! :D
 
Oh, that V8 supercar anthem played by that cowboy was very cringeworthy.:yuck:

The cars are on the formation lap now. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back