Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,032 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
While waiting for F1 and the tennis, I tuned in for the last hour and was impressed by the racing. That overtake by Lowndes (spell?) was top drawer. Good stuff, well done Australia. 👍
 
Argh, Reynolds! Why didn't you have a crack at Whincup? You could have got him!

And yes, that's how you spell Lowndes.
 
Wow, looks like an absolute belter of a race! Even if the predictable team won, at least they were tested for the win. If only Reynolds had had more experience at the front and more bravery to go for it, but you can't begrudge a guy who's probably as amazed as all of us to be at the front at Bathurst! Looking through the top 10 there's a lot of surprises in there - Caruso 5th, Webb 6th, and my man Moffat 10th!

Anyone know where the full race is, in lieu of not being able to Sky Plus it on TV? Really hoping the V8SC Youtube channel upload the full race pronto.
 
Soooooo much better than F1 and NASCAR... *puts on flame suit*
 
Soooooo much better than F1 and NASCAR... *puts on flame suit*

V8s are definitely better racing than NASCAR. F1, depends on circumstance.
 
you can't begrudge a guy who's probably as amazed as all of us to be at the front at Bathurst!
It didn't surprise me - he'd been looking strong all weekend, and a lot of people think it will only be a matter of time before he takes his first race win.
 
Argh, Reynolds! Why didn't you have a crack at Whincup? You could have got him!

And yes, that's how you spell Lowndes.

Yea, I was hoping for the same. But the Holden had better drive out of the first corner and out of the Elbow, which is what really prevented a clean pass by Reynolds.

He would have had to have a Hail Mary somewhere, which may very well have ended in tears. I don't doubt he had more pace and it would have been a great win, but (begrudgingly) Whincup was able to snuff out any clean overtake attempts pretty well.
 
For anyone that missed it (or if you just want to watch it again), here's the last lap of the 1000.



Still think Reynolds, could/should have taken a "Hail Mary" dive at Whincup under brakes at Forest Elbow. Anyway, an amazing finish for the second year in a row and as much as it pains me to say it, great job Whincup. :indiff:
 
I hate but love watching that last lap haha I was screaming at the tv for Whincup!

Honestly, I thought Dave wouldve easily passed Whincup and very surprised he didnt. Whincup was short on fuel, Dave was told to turn his engine up about 6 laps prior to the end so I thought that was it.. yet Whincup was hanging on every single lap. The more he stayed in front the more I thought he would just run out of fuel, but he made it! Amazing finish
 
I hate but love watching that last lap haha I was screaming at the tv for Whincup!

That doesn't surprise me, one bit. :lol:

Really sucks that Courtney had tyre issues at the end. For a while there with 20 or so laps left, he was on a big charge and looked like he could possibly win the thing. Oh well.
 
I was THERE!! Haha, it was so freaking awesome, got there Wednesday arvo after a 12hr drive (and we were passing people heading to Bathurst the WHOLE way). What a great weekend and great race, really appreciated the lack of safety cars for the majority of the back end of the race making it a real race. I've NEVER been a Vodafone fan, I was about as likely to cheer for them as I was for Ford, but being at Bathurst may have finally brought me around, as a die-hard Holden fan I was happy to see Whincup on the top step if it meant preventing a Ford being there, as deserving as Reynolds was. I needed to take a leak for the last 20 or so laps, but be damned if I was leaving the track for a second!:lol: Goodbye "Project Blueprint" V8 Supercars, thanks for the memories.:cheers: I can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight :lol:, I only just got home, and for those who've never been, it is freaking cold on the Mount!
Also sending mad props to the Touring Car Masters and Dunlop series (race 2 was intense with Percat and Mostert!), great show.
 
Very jealous of you, my step brother was there also. I went to Bathurst in 2004 but it was only for the Sunday, experiencing all four days would've been fantastic!
 
Last edited:
When I go to Austin for the race here, planning on being there the whole weekend. Going to have fun taking it ALL in. :drool:
 
When I go to Austin for the race here, planning on being there the whole weekend. Going to have fun taking it ALL in. :drool:

Have a great time when you go man. I'm supremely jealous of you guys getting a V8s race. I WISH they'd come to the UK - although I just know now the FIA are involved with running the series, they'd take it straight to Silverstone, which in it's new format I despise (and my ill feeling hasn't been helped by the fact they've now demolished the Bridge section making it even LESS recognisable than it was anyway).

But even so, I'd perhaps lump it if it meant I saw V8s in the UK. Although considering the narrower tracks they go to in Oz, I'd love to see them give Donington or Brands Hatch a crack. Or maybe the tiny Knockhill, as the UK's equivalent of Symmons Plains? I'm dreaming now...:drool: haha!
 
1 lap with commentary, 1 lap without.

 
I was THERE!!

*snip*

I'm very jealous of you as well. I've attended Bathurst three times. (03,04,06) Never camped there up on the mountain though, all three times I went, I've stayed in motel's (because, I'm hardcore like that :lol:)
When I go to Austin for the race here, planning on being there the whole weekend. Going to have fun taking it ALL in. :drool:

You will mate, nothing beats seeing the V8's live in person. You'll have a real blast.👍
 
For anyone that missed it (or if you just want to watch it again), here's the last lap of the 1000.



Still think Reynolds, could/should have taken a "Hail Mary" dive at Whincup under brakes at Forest Elbow. Anyway, an amazing finish for the second year in a row and as much as it pains me to say it, great job Whincup. :indiff:


But as they kept saying in commentary at the time, Reynolds was too slow out of the dipper, therefore was never really close enough at Forest Elbow. Look how close he was at the elbow when he made the pass for 2nd a few laps earlier.
A hail mary dive would have likely taken them both out. A hail mary at the Chase would have been safer, but no more likely to succeed.
I normally cheer for Holden, but wanted Reynolds to make the pass for the sheer excitement of it.

Also, the 888 car looked awesome.
 
A hail mary dive would have likely taken them both out.

On second viewing. You're right, a hail mary dive would have only ended in tears, for the both of them.

Still think though, there was a opportunity for reynolds to at least have a look at Whincup at the elbow on the last lap, he seemed to get a much better run out of the dipper that lap than previous few. Anyway, as much as don't I like him, Whincup did a fantastic job.
 
Top 10 shootout has been posted on YouTube.

 
Not much longer to find out ticket prices for V8 supercars at COTA!
 
Will there be some sort of live stream for the Gold Coast 600 next weekend? I'm interested in watching it for a bit, and the Bathrust live stream on Youtube was fantastic.
 
Look for PigBoy's stream on Justin.tv. He's usually got one up, and there's usually another one too.

Edit: Going to post this here too in case anyone missed it from the COTA thread.

v8scaustin.jpg
 
R1600Turbo
Look for PigBoy's stream on Justin.tv. He's usually got one up, and there's usually another one too.

Edit: Going to post this here too in case anyone missed it from the COTA thread.

Wow tickets are ALOT cheaper than expected! I am going to have to find a way to go.
 
I'm so curious ... when you click "Learn More About V8 Supercars", where does it take you?
 
R1600Turbo
Yeah I'm purchasing mine at the end of the week. 👍

Edit:

HERE

I wish I could afford to, I will see if I can pull some strings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back