Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,090 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest batch of rumours that I've heard about the series next year:

- Shane van Gisbergen will move to Charlie Schwerkolt's FPR satellite team with backing from Monster.
- Dean Fiore will no longer drive the #12 car, even though he controls the REC for it.
- James Moffat and Alex Davison will join Kelly Racing, with Norton expanding its sponsorship to two cars.
- James Courtney will leave the series entirely to join the DTM. Michael Caruso had been linked to the vacant HRT seat.
- Scott MacLaughlin has four contracts on offer, with Tekno Autosports moving heaven and earth to get him, but they face stiff competition from Garry Rogers.
- There is at least one existing REC that is still available for a team to acquire, though there is no word on which one that might be.
- Crimsafe is tipped for major sponsorship at DJR next year.
- Paul Morris has sold (not rented) his REC to Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport.

This is the first time that I've heard any of this, though, so I have my doubts about all of it.
 
Shane van Gisbergen leaving V8's all together is surprising to say the least.

Best of luck to him though.
 
Read the article.

Apparently, he's had enough. He's not enjoying racing full-time anymore, so he wants out.

I did read the article. My post still stands.

Seriously, I'll gladly take his spot. Please and thank you.
 
R1600Turbo
I did read the article. My post still stands.

Seriously, I'll gladly take his spot. Please and thank you.

I'll be you biggest super fan too! It shocks me he is leaving too but atleast he is honest about it. I'd respect that then hanging on because you feel you have to. I guess I won't be meeting him next year!
 
Whincup wins the 2012 V8 Supercar championship!

(In case you haven't seen the race yet.)
 
Didn't see that coming.

(sarcasm)

Come on 2013...
 
Shane van Gisbergen will quit V8 Supercars entirely:
:( Oh well.

For those who don't know Van Gisbergen competed in round 1 of d1nz (drifting). Did pretty well too even though the car is definately a handfull..
5g5ai0ab.gij.jpg



Good stuff from Lowndes and Whincup though :)
 
Whincup wins the 2012 V8 Supercar championship!

(In case you haven't seen the race yet.)

Thanks, I didn't bother to watch either race on the weekend. But you really didn't need to use spoiler tags, I think everyone knew it already. :lol: :sly:
 
great drive brighty. Unfortunately not able to "Giant kill" like last year at winton
 
Hope all is alright, shame though he was one of my favourite drivers in the current field.
 
Mac K
Hope all is alright, shame though he was one of my favourite drivers in the current field.

I wonder if he just got burnt out in general?

He was one of guys I liked too.
 
SBR pulled the switch from Ford to Mercedes with out his knowledge. He's had enough of all that jazz. Tim Slades manager isn't happy either
 
It just sounds so sudden, he's completely done with the series and is moving back home, that's why I feel something is up..
 
It might be something with the whole doesn't care to talk about it but I can respect that too. It sucks all around but it's his life to do as he wishes. I doubt this will be last we see of him in the series though.
 
Wilbur
It might be something with the whole doesn't care to talk about it but I can respect that too. It sucks all around but it's his life to do as he wishes. I doubt this will be last we see of him in the series though.

Basically what I was getting at :p
 
According to the Sydney Morning Herald he's feeling burnout, the article also says that he may return as soon as 2014.
 
It just sounds so sudden, he's completely done with the series and is moving back home, that's why I feel something is up..
Just like his V8 Supercar debut. To me THAT was sudden
 
Maybe he's not enjoying the racing anymore or wants to do other things whatever it is he'll be back in a top level drive sooner rather than later
 
So having not watched V8's for some time, whats different with the 2013 car? Is it like DTM in having standardized parts? From the outside it looks pretty similar to the new one...
 
Furi you can watch full races on youtube as i'm up to the 2nd race at queensland
 
So having not watched V8's for some time, whats different with the 2013 car? Is it like DTM in having standardized parts? From the outside it looks pretty similar to the new one...

Pretty much. Standardized chassis mainly. Cars still sort of have their own body work, manufacture specific engines.

Edit: Were the Mercedes cars supposed to be unveiled at the end of November? Or is that something else I'm thinking of?
 
So having not watched V8's for some time, whats different with the 2013 car? Is it like DTM in having standardized parts? From the outside it looks pretty similar to the new one...

Basically what R16 already said, here's a basic run down.

Car of the future specs
-Chassis design and specification will now be fixed. All chassis to be dimensionally identical, but different accredited vehicle builders can construct them.

-Engine is mounted 100mms further back and down. Protects engine in case of frontal impact and improves weight distribution.

-Increase in wheel and tyre size to 18-inch provide by Dunlop. Bigger brakes can therefore also be fitted.
-
Windscreen becomes polycarbonate. It’s 250 times stronger than glass.

-Collapsible steering column with collapsible section in the engine bay, rather than the cabin.

-Different transmission, moving to a transaxle, which incorporates the differential and gearbox in one assembly.

-Adoption of IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) with control pickup points and a control specification of uprights and wishbones.

-Fuel cell moved further forward in the car to protect from rear impacts.
Edit: Were the Mercedes cars supposed to be unveiled at the end of November? Or is that something else I'm thinking of?

Could be, I've not heard anything though. Isn't the Nascar Holden Chev SS being unveiled at the end of November? Maybe you're thinking of that?
 
Last edited:
^^^ Ah yeah, the SS might be it.
 
Only thing I like is the wheels!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back