Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,135 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you guys both enjoy it!!

But of course! Hopefully they bring merchandise with them, need some FPR swag!

Edit: Just got an email from COTA to do a survey for them, then put in my email to win V8 tickets for May.

I never win anything though. :(
 
Last edited:
But of course! Hopefully they bring merchandise with them, need some FPR swag!

Hopefully you'll be able to pick up 1 or 2 FPR 1.64's to add to your collection. 👍
 
Spacegoat
Hopefully you'll be able to pick up 1 or 2 FPR 1.64's to add to your collection. 👍

That's my goal, hell I might pick up some other teams if price is right considering how much they are normally! Glad I'm not only FRP fan here but I do like Tander.
 
Dunlop Series Champion Scott McLaughlin confirmed as Michael Caruso's replacement at GRM next year.
Dunlop Series champion Scott McLaughlin has been confirmed as Michael Caruso’s replacement at Fujitsu Racing/GRM for the 2013 season.
The 19-year-old will drive with the Dandenong-based team on a multi-year deal.
It has been a stellar year for McLaughlin, who won the inaugural New Zealand V8 SuperTourers title, before claiming the Dunlop Series at Sydney Olympic Park last weekend.
McLaughlin’s Dunlop Series success makes him the youngest ever champion of the class.
 
That's just confusing, although I understand how it will work, but I agree. It's a mish-mash of rules taken from different series. Plus, as this years Abu Dhabi round has shown, short sprint races determining championships is just wrong.
 
Last edited:
Can someone explain that in normal terms?! I didn't watch any of Abu race but I do agree 12 laps is pointless in a series like this or hell any series period.

Atleast now I have some sort of idea for Texas! Now to buy new camera or extra battery for the race.
 
There will be two races on Saturday, each being 60km in length, and with a fifteen-minute break in between for the teams to work on their cars. It appears that the intention is to phase out double-stacking in pits, and encourage drivers to push hard instead of conserving fuel and tyres.
 
Stupid format change, what the heck they thinking.
 
I posted late, got stuck awhile. I'm using mobile and the connection is slow..
 
Just read this on Speedcafe, Scott has really been a standout.

Especially at such a young age, the guy has a seriously bright future ahead of him.
At least now I have some sort of idea for Texas! Now to buy new camera or extra battery for the race.
Nice, be sure to share some of your pictures with us. 👍
 
prisonermonkeys
There will be two races on Saturday, each being 60km in length, and with a fifteen-minute break in between for the teams to work on their cars. It appears that the intention is to phase out double-stacking in pits, and encourage drivers to push hard instead of conserving fuel and tyres.

Well now that seems um...random. I thought everyone hated those sprints and yet they make that something new.

What good could even come of this? Qualifying matters more but more mistakes from pushing harder. I didn't see anything wrong with the racing last year even with the domination by 888.
 
I thought everyone hated those sprints and yet they make that something new.

I don't mind sprint races at Barbagello, but that's because it's such a short track. Unfortunately, the way support events are run for Formula 1 races, the Abu Dhabi round had some of the shortest races of the season on a track that did not show to be conducive to close racing, with the full 300 points for the round being awarded.

The problem I have with the sprint races is how the points will be allocated. I don't want a championship to be determined by a sprint race, where everyone is racing like the qualifying race at Sandown this year.

Also, just imagine if at the second last race at Phillip Island, a championship contender is taken out, with the car written off, through no fault of his own, during a non-points qualifying race?
 
Also, just imagine if at the second last race at Phillip Island, a championship contender is taken out, with the car written off, through no fault of his own, during a non-points qualifying race?
It would be roughly the same as if a championship contender was taken out in a points-paying race on Saturday through no fault of their own, and written off so that they could not take part in a Sunday race.

This "60/60 sprint format" is simply designed to allow everyone to race the full distance without needing to make a pit stop.
 
This is still rather hard to stomach though, V8's have been doing long-ish races with pit stops for so long that it's strange.

In any case if they want to prevent "fuel racing" that damages engines, isn't it just enough to get rid of that trim switch, which they have already done?

Also the 15 minute turnaround window is worrying...
 
if it's to remove the chances of double stacking, why not just say. "No double stacking" As for the economy of the cars I think there should be parameters set where the cars have a maximum of how rich or lean they can be. To make it even more interesting I don't think the drivers should have that control. Should be done in a pitstop.. Just saying
 
if it's to remove the chances of double stacking, why not just say. "No double stacking" As for the economy of the cars I think there should be parameters set where the cars have a maximum of how rich or lean they can be. To make it even more interesting I don't think the drivers should have that control. Should be done in a pitstop.. Just saying

Exactly, or having a pit window is possible too. Maybe have a control ECU.
 
if it's to remove the chances of double stacking, why not just say. "No double stacking"
Because if the safety car is deployed and everyone rushes to the pits, only the first car from each team will be able to pit - the second car will have to do an extra lap and be at an incredible disadvantage. That's why they double-stack in the first place - because the few seconds they lose waiting their turn is less of a disadvantage than doing a whole extra lap.
 
It would be roughly the same as if a championship contender was taken out in a points-paying race on Saturday through no fault of their own, and written off so that they could not take part in a Sunday race.

This "60/60 sprint format" is simply designed to allow everyone to race the full distance without needing to make a pit stop.

I don't buy the need to jazz up the races. V-8s were already plenty jazzy. Arguably they featured the best racing of any series worldwide this past season and the races at Barbagallo in particular were epic.
 
It would be roughly the same as if a championship contender was taken out in a points-paying race on Saturday through no fault of their own, and written off so that they could not take part in a Sunday race.

True. But the fact that it's a non-points paying race would be the sticking point for me, as technically, besides grid positions, the race doesn't count for anything significant, and I, as a fan, would feel ripped off if (insert non-championship contender here) influenced the outcome of the championship in a race that doesn't count for much, except grid positions, which, I admit, is important for doing well in the second race.
 
Need help for a project!

Anyone know where I can find great photos and/or mock ups of current (2012) liveries from most of the Ford teams?
 
Because if the safety car is deployed and everyone rushes to the pits, only the first car from each team will be able to pit - the second car will have to do an extra lap and be at an incredible disadvantage. That's why they double-stack in the first place - because the few seconds they lose waiting their turn is less of a disadvantage than doing a whole extra lap.
True, good point.
 
There will be two races on Saturday, each being 60km in length, and with a fifteen-minute break in between for the teams to work on their cars. It appears that the intention is to phase out double-stacking in pits, and encourage drivers to push hard instead of conserving fuel and tyres.

Which is stupid because thats why the brang in the 75L fuel tanks.. to encourage fuel stops. Why not just bring back the 120L tanks permanently if they want to stop it instead of splitting up the races?? Stupid format IMO
 
Because the cars would still need to pit for tyres - they won't last the full 120km.
 
And yet no points are awarded for the first race, only the second. If they gave points for the first one aswell then I wouldnt mind it but as it is, its crap
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back