vtec ???????????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Valve Timing
  • 77 comments
  • 5,939 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't, please enlighten me :rolleyes: I made two seperate posts, for *GASP!* two seperate people instead of putting them into one! Shocker eh? :eek:
 
Honda fans like to act like it's the cat's nipples, but having driven VTEC cars it seems to me more like the car comes off the "economy" cam rather than on to the "power" cam.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
Honda fans like to act like it's the cat's nipples, but having driven VTEC cars it seems to me more like the car comes off the "economy" cam rather than on to the "power" cam.
You're right, I hate ricers :mad: Anyways, you're perfectly correct. The whole purpose of Honda implementing VTEC on most of their engines is solely for fuel-economy purposes. In a race-application, VTEC actually hinders the performance of the engine, because below a given rpm range, the engine is not using the performance cam-profile, thus not making the most of itself, and is in "economy mode." That's one of the reasons that one of the best modifications you can do to a Honda engine is to replace the camshafts with aftermarket ones which use the more aggressive profile even in "economy mode." Most Honda fan-boys seem to think since they have VTEC in their engines, that they will "OWN" everything on the road. I mean afterall, if you add a VTEC sticker on your car, you've got 50 whp right away! :lol:
 
So neon duke, what kind of VTEC equipped cars have you driven? That would make a big difference. A VTEC engine in one car is not the same as another. In some of the models, it will definitely feel like a 'power' cam.
 
I've never driven a VTEC Prelude, but I've driven VTEC Civics and an Integra GS-R.

Don't get me wrong, they are nice pleasant cars to drive and I would be happy owning the Acura. But to hear the fanboys talk about VTEC, it's like the boost finally coming in on an old Group B rally car. In reality it feels a lot more like my Neon does when it comes into the sweetspot of the intake manifold around 3,500 rpm.
 
Yeah I know what you're saying. I personally cannot feel VTEC kick in on my 1.7L SOHC I4, but that's because it is, afterall, more tuned for economy rather than power (plus it's only 127hp/114 lb-ft). I think you would probably feel it on a car like the NSX, but not an economy-oriented engine like the D17A2 that is in my EL.
 
Well it sure gives you a rush from the B18C5 in my Integra Type R. Definitely the sound change makes you feel like there is more power than there is, but it's still a decent amount of power. Especially when you can take it up to 8400 revs!
 
Hey man, a question came up on s2ki.com. The `00 to `03 S2000s were capable of staying in VTEC while shifting through gears. But with the rearanged setup in the `04, is that still possible? The assumption is that "duh, why would Honda do something dumb like have it dropping in and out of VTEC ..." ... but stupider things have happened. Do you know anything about this?
 
Originally posted by Majarvis
Ok firstly, it's spelled, say it with me, VTEC, not V-Tech, not VTECH, but VTEC :) Secondly, the EL is only sold in Canada, and it is the same as a Civic EX Sedan, but with more options. It doesn't use i-VTEC, just normal SOHC VTEC, and I get about 450-500 km to the tank :)
Pshhh... my truck gets around 450kms to a tank. Of course it's an 85 Litre tank.:lol:
 
"so i hope to be driving a '91 CRX Vtec in GT4 within 2 months from now"

1971 Mini... B16A2. Muhahahaha. :) Same engine as our '99 Civic Si, but 1/2 the weight.

Hopefully I can take care of this project this year. Will be quite the sleeper!
 
I think you're going to wait longer than two months. Sorry, GT4 wont come out until late Summer, or early Fall, here in North America.
 
Originally posted by Latka
"so i hope to be driving a '91 CRX Vtec in GT4 within 2 months from now"

1971 Mini... B16A2. Muhahahaha. :) Same engine as our '99 Civic Si, but 1/2 the weight.

Hopefully I can take care of this project this year. Will be quite the sleeper!
There's a compnay that does this in real life. I believe they use the front subframe from a Morris Minor to replace the original Mini subframe, allowing room for the bigger Honda mill. The engine is a close fit, and the front wheels need a big negative offset to stay under the front arches, but it appears to fit neatly and work quite well.
 
Originally posted by StevieMo
Pshhh... my truck gets around 450kms to a tank. Of course it's an 85 Litre tank.:lol:
lol, well there ya go then! :p Mine is only a 50L tank ;)

Oh yeah, if you guys wanna see a nice Honda engine swap into something, check this out.
It's a Lotus Exige with a JDM K20A (DC5 Integra Type R - 220hp stock). This is an amazing car, I can't wait until they finish swapping the F20C1 (S2000) into another Exige ;)
GRAPH5.gif

GRAPH6.gif
 
This is how you can hear the Vtec on your Integra or S2000 In GT3, the S2000 seems to hear the loudest, just modified everything then put on a semi muffler or stock, then when you accel, just accel slowly and when the RPM hits 5 to 6 thousand, the Vtec Turns on and you can hear it with the Semi Muffler i think thats what its called, so Try it and you will love the VTEC....
 
Get it right,
SOHC VTEC is not the same as DOHC VTEC.

Click to learn about VTEC

I doubt there is a big kick in feel for a SOHC engine. If it ain't DOHC, then your not really seeing the excellence in the engine. You have to consider a DOHC engine to really notice the VTEC change over, and if you haven't driven a GSR, SI, Type R, Type S, S2000, NSX, then I doubt you will experience what honda loyalist are talking about when they talk about feeling VTEC. When the VTEC engages, your senses tell you something has happened, the tone coming from your engine changes to a more aggessive tone and you can feel the difference in the trottle response. The engine definately feels more torquey and responsive with the touch of the trottle when you are driving in 6000 to 8000 rpm range. So if you haven't driven in a DOHC VTEC in the high rpm vtec range, then you wouldn't understand.
 
I never once stated that you wouldn't feel a difference in a DOHC VTEC engine. I simply stated that I, personally, didn't feel that much difference in my car (equipped with a D17A2) because of the fact that it is designed for fuel-efficiency, rather than high-horsepower output, thus the nature of the SOHC VTEC engines (unless it's a V6 found in the Accord, or TL).
 
Originally posted by BreakerOhio
Get it right,
SOHC VTEC is not the same as DOHC VTEC.

Click to learn about VTEC

I doubt there is a big kick in feel for a SOHC engine. If it ain't DOHC, then your not really seeing the excellence in the engine. You have to consider a DOHC engine to really notice the VTEC change over, and if you haven't driven a GSR, SI, Type R, Type S, S2000, NSX, then I doubt you will experience what honda loyalist are talking about when they talk about feeling VTEC. When the VTEC engages, your senses tell you something has happened, the tone coming from your engine changes to a more aggessive tone and you can feel the difference in the trottle response. The engine definately feels more torquey and responsive with the touch of the trottle when you are driving in 6000 to 8000 rpm range. So if you haven't driven in a DOHC VTEC in the high rpm vtec range, then you wouldn't understand.

Don't forget the venerable Prelude VTEC!! :D
 
race cars don't use vtec, there is no need fo ir, vtec is intended for a street engine, so that one can get really good gas milage and reliability in the lower rpm's and have a "race" engine in the high rpm's.
But one can buy cams such as Toda VTEC killer cams, which eliminate vtec, so it's like your always "in vtec", no matter what rpm

So in gt4 they should incorporate vtec in the stock cars, but after a upgrade such as level 2 NA upgrade, they should eliminate it....
 
"But one can buy cams such as Toda VTEC killer cams, which eliminate vtec, so it's like your always "in vtec", no matter what rpm"


Huh? How does that work? I would love to put this cam on my GSR!
 
They always had it in Acuras and Hondas, or else I will murder those people who made those mistakes!
 
Oh by the way they have to seriously fix their mistake on the Type R from GT3. On the GSR which is one grade down from the Type R I can do 100MPH on 3rd gear, yet in GT3, the Type R as stock barely does this and yes I've driven a Type R and GSR and have noticed there's a HUGE difference in the driving experience from a GSR. First, I gotta say the Type R for some seriously strange reason is so hard to drive. I know how to drive stick and to prove that yes you rev the engine before letting go of the clutch, but when driving the Type R the whole car just peels out each time. What's up with that? The Type R IS pretty damn fast and scared me when the owner during one test drive revved the car up to redline and I was sitting there closing my eyes because of the feel of the speed. I ended up with the GSR for its ease of use, but yes one day I will own a type R as soon as I can drive it without peeling out.
 
If you had to close your eyes due to the acceleration of the Type R then I don't think you're even ready for the GSR, only 25hp difference. Not that HUGE.

And the Type R will not get to 100mph in 3rd gear, more like upper 80's. This is due to the shorter gear ratios from the GSR which helps it accelerate better. The mistake in GT3 is that they got the redline wrong, should be 8400rpm.
 
I own a 2001 GSR coupe. The GSR is okay in terms of being fast when you hit that 4440 RPM although its kinda weird when I tried out the older 96 GSR and comparing it to this one it felt the older one felt a little faster. I'm going by feel and compared to the Type R they are 2 very different cars. The type R is really loud while the GSR is only loud when the VTEC hits. The Type R feels a lot lighter when you drive it. The seats, my gosh do my back hurt after riding in the Type R. The seats in my GSR are a lot different. Hmmm... maybe its just the seats that make the Type R feel a lot faster. But My god, dude, I swear the Type R I test drove was hella fast for me. When driving it seems like the engine wants you to drive the car fast. Yeah the extra 25 HP is not huge, but it surely feels huge!
 
Well, you see, there actually is a big difference between the GSR and Type R. The reason that the Type R feels quicker, and louder, is because, well... it is! :P You see, the Type R has ALL sound deadening material removed, has different suspension components, and, of course, a more powerful engine. Comparing the GSR and Type R would be like comparing the current RSX Type S to the JDM Integra Type R (the RSX Type S is a replacement for the GSR, not the Type R). Of course, I forgot to mention that the Type R is quite a bit lighter than the GSR due to its lack of sound deadening material, has a LSD, and better gearing for acceleration. The chassis is also quite a bit stiffer with its reinforced cross brace, etc...
 
Well I've never driven a GSR, only my Type R. But 0-60 times are only about 0.5 sec faster for the Type R. It's a significant difference, just not HUGE. The bigger difference between the two cars is the handling. Why did the seats hurt your back? Feel great to me. I think the increased engine sound makes you feel like you're going even faster.
 
Huh? How does that work? I would love to put this cam on my GSR!

Ugh! The fact that you can feel VTEC kick in means that your engine is putting out less power than it could before you feel VTEC kick in. All VTEC does is give you good gas mileage. Seriously. If you get a single-lobe performance cam then you will maximize power, but you'll get crappier gas mileage in low-RPMs.

VTEC = Gas saving mechanism for consumers, nothing more.
 
Damn this thread's getting repetitive. Please read the whole thread before posting.
 
Originally posted by Bradrifter
Ugh! The fact that you can feel VTEC kick in means that your engine is putting out less power than it could before you feel VTEC kick in. All VTEC does is give you good gas mileage. Seriously. If you get a single-lobe performance cam then you will maximize power, but you'll get crappier gas mileage in low-RPMs.

VTEC = Gas saving mechanism for consumers, nothing more.
 

Attachments

  • 0394.jpg
    0394.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 47
My rare DB2 Integra GS-R's 'old school' VTEC [B17A1], has a very smooth VTEC sound after it hit 5700 rpm. Even by just the sound of it makes you want to melt and drool at the same time. And it also have some engine power difference [micro-boost] between non-VTEC and VTEC mode.

Gosh, I hope that the 1992 Integra GS-R will be in GT4, I'll be so happy if they did. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back