War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

There are more skins of this series for other planes, too, but I only put them on the P-63 and Yak-3 because they are the "racing" planes (the best planes for air race events that allow tier 3 fighters only). I'll only use them when I play the races or arcade battles (but I mostly play realistic), because they'll just look stupid in RB.

But somehow skins like these bring me luck. When I gave them a first try in RB, I did 4 kills on the P-63 and 3 kills on the Yak-3P. One kill was done using the "idol" sight (see the last screen). :D

These skins also show how deep you can modify your plane (livery, cockpit and now even sights). However, other players won't see it.
I desperately need that Yak-3 skin in my life. :drool: :eek: Those skins are awesome! :D

Tier 5? Man, I've been playing this game for years and am just getting into the first line of tier 2.
Around two or three years ago was the prime time to be playing ground forces. Back then rewards were so much better almost on the same level as air battles. I was able to unlock all tier four tanks in the German line plus the jagdtiger. I should probably put a talisman on my king tiger now seeing that i play it more than the Ferdinand..

I played a lot for about 6 months leading up to the ground forces closed beta. Got in on the closed beta, but was pretty burned out by then and was getting back into racing. I played a bit on and off in that time but only recently started getting serious about the game again. Really looking forward to boats.Anyway, seems I missed the good ol days.
Might get a premium account for a while though. I think I am playing regularly enough right now to warrant it.

I know I'm not playing nearly enough on WT to get one, due to the fact I've spent almost all of my time helping my friend stream on World of Warships and helping his channel grow from the bottom up. I got him into WT and we do sometimes start the streams off with it (planes for now) but focus mostly on the ships.

if you're interested...

I hope that you buy that tank, and not once ever drive it out..
Why? :D It must be worth all of this grinding. This or the IS-4M coming next. Which is even more OP, I heard. :sly:

I bought a russian tank, and i used the crap out of it to grind. then never drove it again. War Thunder raped my wallet :(
The IS-2 "Revenge"? I remember you had one when we played together. Well, I think it's not the best buy, it's not different from the normal IS-2 1944 (well, actually a little is - it lacks the DShK machine gun), but pretty expensive. And if you have one tier 4 tank but no other vehicles of similar BR in this nation, you'll be in trouble once your tank is gone. ;)

Tier 5? Man, I've been playing this game for years and am just getting into the first line of tier 2.
Hm, maybe the amount of battles you had for that time is little?.. What's your ID in the game? I'll see your stats.

I play since spring 2013, but wasn't a really active player from the beginning. When tanks arrived a year later (spring or summer 2014), most of my planes were 1-2 tier (and one tier 3 Pe-3bis, because the game had different leveling system when I started). And this was when I started playing seriously (and almost dumped World of Tanks). Currently, my battle count is 1036 in Arcade, 2368 in Realistic and 136 in Simulator, and my progress is: tier 5 in Japan (two planes for now, Ki-200 and R2Y2 V1), tier 3 in German planes and American tanks, tier 2 in British tanks and tier 4 everywhere else.

When I do spend real money in the game, I do it for something unique. Like premium vehicles. Like I promised, I'll show my collection with a short review on each plane and tank. Here goes part one - my US premium collection (otherwise the post would be too big).

F2A-1 Buffalo (Thach ver.)

Brewster F2A-1 Buffalo (John Thach version) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Bought it with a discount when I had little gold gained on "Golden Battles" wager.
Chose it because it has has lower battle rating than the original F2A-1 (1.3 versus 1.7) so it lets you dominate over the enemy I-15 and He.51. But no more differences from the normal version besides the livery.

My rating: 7/10.

Ki-61-Ib Hien (USAAF ver.)

Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (USAAF version) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Bought it with a discount, about two years ago. After spending most of the eagles from the Invader pack (see below), I still had left enough for this. I really liked the original Hien when I was developing the Japanese tree, so I thought why not to get a premium version.

And that was no mistake. I was playing in Arcade mode mostly back then, and did some nice grinding on tier 2. Also raised the crew skill seriously. And when I started getting into Realistic battles, this plane helped me get used to them. Strong, agile, decently armed (and with good ammo capacity compared to other Japanese planes so you can be relatively trigger happy) and having low BR, the American Ki-61 is forgiving and easy for a novice player to master. In RB mode, most American planes are not suited for highly maneuvrable combat, but the Ki-61 is (not like A6M Zero of course, but still good). So it can compensate your team's bad agility in RB, especially against Soviet or Japanese opponents. However, this version can't carry bombs so it's almost useless in combined battles (tank RBs).

My rating: 9/10.

Bf.109F-4 (USAAF ver.)

Messerschmitt Bf.109F-4 by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Bought with a discount (on Victory Day 2016 sale).
Another captured enemy plane (the story says it was captured by Russians and then delivered to US for testing). The reasons for purchase were:
1. I thought like I need a tier 3 fighter to develop the US tree and train the Mustang crew (I already had the Ki-61, but it's less effective for researching 4th tier).
2. I really liked the German Friedrich (same case as above).
3. I'll buy this and will have the complete collection of premium 109's (already had Japanese E-3 and Romanian G-2).

I also considered getting the XP-50 instead, but I have bad luck on two-engined fighters (except for Bf.110 somehow).

Generally, a good plane. (But it's funny to see battles like American Bf.109 vs German P-47 pretty often. :D) Likely to complete an RB match with 2-3 kills when the weather's good.
But it requires some skill. Less friendly to a newbie (than the Ki-61 for example).

The livery has only two US roundels (and one on the bottom, but it's less visible) so I like covering them with other 109 users'. Was flying with Israeli insignia for some time, now replaced them with Spanish (like on the pic).

My rating: 8/10.

BTD-1 Destroyer

Douglas BTD-1 Destroyer by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Bought with a discount. My latest purchase (summer 2016).
Possibly one of the "must buy" planes, but I still didn't make a well use of it yet.
Carries decent payload, but can also bite back in air combat (thanks to 2x20mm cannons and surprisingly good agility). May be very useful in combined RB's (can carry 2x1000 lbs bombs or 1x2000), but my current kill count is... 4 planes and 0 player-controlled tanks. Bombing tanks is pretty tricky (there's no bomb sight), at least this thing has airbrakes (shouldn't forget to use them, because the plane handles like a stone when diving at high speeds and can crash easily). Another problem is the lack of rear gunner (but there's not much use of it anyway).

Also, it is VERY effective in "Pirate" events (that usually require destroying ships with torpedoes to earn prizes) because it carries two torps (Avenger and Helldiver carry only one. Catalina, H6K4 and Wellington carry two, but the first two are pretty slow and the British torps require very low dropping speed). When you play against a Japanese team in RB, two BTDs can lead the team to a quick victory by destroying all 4 carriers. However, carriers have strong AAA so it's better to use a squad of 3 BTDs in case if one gets shot.

My rating: 8/10 (possibly deserves higher, but I should try some more).

A-26C-45 Invader

Douglas A-26C Invader by RageRacer48, on Flickr

A unique plane that can't be bought in the game shop. Can be acquired via promo codes. I also heard it could be won in some event.
My friend who bought a gaming laptop that included a code (but he doesn't play WT) sold it to me (very cheap, compared to how much it is usually sold). The package also included about 2000 GE and 15 days of premium account so that was a real bargain. However, the plane itself is...

The mighty successor of the A-20 Havoc. Bigger, faster, stronger and better armed. Very fast for a bomber, can evade some fighters if you're lucky. With this speed and 6 fixed .50cal Brownings in front, it can be used to intercept enemy bombers. The defensive armanent is 2 turrets with 2 .50cals in each, which makes it harder for an enemy fighter to shoot you down (I did some kills with those), but there's only one gunner controlling them, and if he dies, you'll lose both turrets. The battle rating is pretty high (6.0) so it gets matched with jets sometimes (I first discovered it when I was killed by a Ki-200 suddenly came out of nowhere).

A bad surprise was that despite of being a premium plane, it doesn't have money & XP bonuses (talisman has to be bought separately) and doesn't come with all modules equipped (like other premiums), they have to be researched and bought.

My rating: 6/10. Still haven't tried it in combined battles though (must reach BR 6.0 in US tanks first).

M2A4 (1st Armored div.)

Light Tank M2A4 by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Currently my only premium in US tank tree. Got it for free when American tanks just appeared in the game.

Well... it's just a premium version of the reserve M2A4 you should know. Just a small money & XP bonus, a little different color and a bonus decal. Nothing special.

My rating: none. Didn't play it often enough to rate it (and I don't play reserves much). Can be useful for "Road of the Brave" event to get just a little more XP and Lions for it.

Next part is my German premium collection.

@Rage Racer Correct, and its Reload Rate is cringe worthy. :lol:
Well, that's how it pays for the firepower. Russians aren't as OP as some people think. ;)

Guess who just bought the Do335 B2.....

TO ONLY FIND OUT THERE'S GOING TO BE FRICKIN DISCOUNTS IN 72 HOURS.....
I have somthing similar. Although I almost never buy anything premium without a discount. ;)
On Monday, I won a 30% discount for the British Hellcat. The price became 910 GE, and I already had 827 (most of which were won). Next day, I farmed one golden wager with a guy in a squad and won 150 more, and bought the Hellcat without paying any real money. What a bargain, I thought. But a day later, I see this. :banghead:

Not only that I could have this Hellcat at 50% of the price, but they'll also give out 500 GE to everyone who had bought 5000 and more GE earlier. Which means that I could get something better than this Grumman (like the BV.238). Damn.

Well, anyway, there's nothing I could do about it (I forgot that WT's birthday is on November, 1st). So, I'll probably get the Canadian tank (Ram II aka M4A5, I'll have just enough for it if I grind a little more gold.). Or, maybe, give the Snails a present for the birthday of their game and buy some more eagles for the BV.238. Or even something better.

Well, that's how it pays for the firepower. Russians aren't as OP as some people think. ;)

I have somthing similar. Although I almost never buy anything premium without a discount. ;)
On Monday, I won a 30% discount for the British Hellcat. The price became 910 GE, and I already had 827 (most of which were won). Next day, I farmed one golden wager with a guy in a squad and won 150 more, and bought the Hellcat without paying any real money. What a bargain, I thought. But a day later, I see this. :banghead:

Not only that I could have this Hellcat at 50% of the price, but they'll also give out 500 GE to everyone who had bought 5000 and more GE earlier. Which means that I could get something better than this Grumman (like the BV.238). Damn.

Well, anyway, there's nothing I could do about it (I forgot that WT's birthday is on November, 1st). So, I'll probably get the Canadian tank (Ram II aka M4A5, I'll have just enough for it if I grind a little more gold.). Or, maybe, give the Snails a present for the birthday of their game and buy some more eagles for the BV.238. Or even something better.

My old squadron pushed me to get it, so i did. It helped so much grinding up, but then I've realized how was i even good in this thing :lol:

I took part in a couple of races yesterday. The tank ones are a lot of fun, and since most people are busy fighting tanks, not racing, I found it pretty easy to come in first in those races. Felt like driving one of the SEMA muscle cars in GT6. Heavy as hell and always wagging the tail. Really fun.

Decided to throw some duckies at Gaijin and pick up in of the vehicle packs. Got the KV 1E and IL-2M with some gold and a premium membership. Going to pick up the Russian naval pack Monday.

I took part in a couple of races yesterday. The tank ones are a lot of fun, and since most people are busy fighting tanks, not racing, I found it pretty easy to come in first in those races. Felt like driving one of the SEMA muscle cars in GT6. Heavy as hell and always wagging the tail. Really fun.
TFW War Thunder has better physics than GT6 :lol:

Decided to throw some duckies at Gaijin and pick up in of the vehicle packs. Got the KV 1E and IL-2M with some gold and a premium membership.
I got too. A good offer. 4000 eagles alone are cheaper than buying them normally (so the KV, IL and premium account are a gift).
Right now (when the sale is going on) is the best time to spend these eagles. I think I'll spend them on BV.238 and... still debating between T-34-100, Yak-3 VK-107, Panzerwerfer and Porsche Tiger (Pz.Bfw.VI). I'll watch some reviews and decide.

Already tried the KV-1E and it's very good. It usually gets killed in two cases: 1) bomb from a plane; 2) when surrounded by many strong enemies, after continuous shelling. The vitality is really great. In my first RB match on it, I've been hit many times, they damaged my engine an even set me on fire twice. But all 5 crew members were alive. And I surivied to the end of the battle, winning it and having 3 or 4 kills.

Too bad I haven't won the Finnish version of it (when there was an event). But I put a Finnish sign on this one and a custom skin.
KV-1E (Finnish camouflage) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

I've had no issues taking out takes in one to two rounds with the KV 1E. It is a great tank, and the Avenger is absolutely amazing as well. My second time out I took out 7 planes in AB, would have gone a lot further but some SOB on my team decided to take out my ailerons and rudder for some reason. Real cool guy.
Spent some of my eagles buying up some of the tier 3 tanks and building up my yak and lagg lineups. It's crazy how fast RP and SL stack up when you are playing on a premium account too. Which is a good thing since I went from well over 300k SL to 30k in about 5 minutes....

Added the KV 85 to my line up last night. Got a full lineup of rank 3 tanks and a bomber now.
Speaking of, I enjoy flying the Russian planes more than the American planes. Even though the yak and lagg don't necessarily have faster turn rates, they seem to match my flying styles and altitude better. I think the I-16 will be the last vehicle I pick up before returning running out of GEs and going back to the ol grind mode. Probably will keep keeping a premium account going though, and definitely picking up a boat pack.
Question, how do the wage cards work? I got 4 for my day 4 reward.

Was choosing between T-34-100 and T-44-122... But picked neither. Bought Yak-3 VK-107 instead. First, I spent 400 BO points for the test drive (got it for 3 hours) and I liked how it handles.

Yakovlev Yak-3 (VK-107 ver.) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

An upgraded version of one of my favourite WWII fighters that was built but never saw combat IRL.
Basically, it's Yak-3P with engine of Yak-9U and one cannon removed (Yak-3P carries three 20mm Berezin B-20 cannons, this one has two), probably because of bigger engine. Awesome climbing rate, incredible agility (but dependent on the crew skill, an unskilled pilot often gets knocked out on a high-speed turn that is easy for this plane) and power\weight ratio that allows it to accelerate very quickly and outspeed even a FW-190 or F8F Bearcat after turning (Klimov VK-107 was one of the most powerful Soviet fighter engines and Yak-3 was one of the lightest fighters of WWII).

However, the flight abilities are great, but the armanent is not. The Berezin cannons have bad ballistics (but better than Japanese cannons or German MG FF as I feel) and the ammo capacity is low, like on all Yaks - 120 rounds for each gun (3P has the same capacity per cannon, but there are 3 of them so there's bigger salvo power), so it needs careful aiming (for me, it's enough to down two fighters then go home to reload). Also, the engine is new, but the wings are old, and they tend to break at speed over 720 km/h that this plane reaches easily. So diving and boom-zooming require caution.

The battle rating is fairy high (6.0) so it gets matched with jets sometimes. But it doesn't suffer from encountering jets too much, I shot down one P-80 Shooting Star during the test drive (my first jet kill on a Soviet plane).

Great machine, but not for a novice player. Requires skill. At least in RB.
With this plane, I'll reach the MiG jets quicker. Already finished researching another machine of the Lavochkin lineup - the La-7. I used the decals to make a replica of Ivan Kozhedub's plane. Close enough. :sly:

Lavochkin La-7 by RageRacer48, on Flickr
1328978557_1_2_b3.jpg

Question, how do the wage cards work? I got 4 for my day 4 reward.
https://support.gaijin.net/hc/en-us/articles/202602201-How-to-use-wagers

Do it Kitten, do it while the deals are still good!

Took the KV85 out today a managed to get a survivor award and an ace! It is so slow but it hits like a ton of 85mm bricks! Managed to survive a few shots and pair of bombing runs as well. Great round. Helped Stoke me up as I have been running in bad game after bad game.

Make War Thunder great again! :D
T6rvu2R-r64.jpg

And here (see 1:20) :lol:

P.S. These aren't custom skins. There's a German decal containing word "Trumpf" so everyone in the game can see this.

I bet Putin is happy! It's probably the one positive thing about Trump, we wont have to worry about a war with Russia. Not sure how that would have turned out with Clinton.

TFW you randomly check how much WT has taken up on your SSD....

View attachment 605721

View attachment 605722
Hmm... perhaps you have too many screenshots, or replays, or custom skins?
Mine is 26.4 GB and can't say I have little extra content.

Also... the devs say the Japanese tanks are "on the finish line". Some more announced machines:

Type 2 Ka-Mi. An amphibious tank, but it won't swim in the game (the pontoons are detached). Like the M551 Sheridan.
type_2_ka_mi_01_1280x720_b0a0077a4a59c7d769712ebd1a8e7fc6.jpg

Type 97 Chi-Ha. The base version of the Shinhoto ("new turret") Chi-Ha revealed earlier.
type_97_chi_ha_1920x1080_logo_ru_e6f1a840472839dd9d1c340296411dce.jpg

Type 3 Chi-Nu. Never fought during the WWII, but the units deployed to defend mainland Japan were equipped with it. It was even used in the JGSDF afterwards.
type_3_chi_nu_05_1280x720_ccbbcc78d1603ac0149e770586c9f42e.jpg

ST-A1. A post-war prototype armed with a US-made 90mm cannon (same as used in the M46 and M47). The concept later evolved into serial production tanks (e.g. Type 61).
sta_1_08_1280x720_53f5091ecc2c22284f5ff1fe8073d487.jpg

Back