War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Russian streamers testing ALL boats currently available.

Can't wait till the rest of us can play it.

I was a bit shocked at Baron yesterday though. Using AP rounds in the big guns against wooden or very thinly armoured torpedo boats? Wat?

Can't wait till the rest of us can play it.
Well, to be honest, I'm interested too (I sent a request for CBT access and now waiting for response), but I'm not fond of the small boats much. I'll still concentrate on planes and tanks. What I can't wait to play is Japanese tanks.

Also, I was collecting the November warbonds and spent them on this toy:

M8A1 75mm Gun Carrier by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Was debating between this and the TB-3 bomber. But chose the M8A1. The TB-3 is beautiful and historically attractive (the "flying aircraft carrier" of Project Zveno, and the civilian version, ANT-6, that was used for Arctic expeditions in the '30s), but it's a purely collectible vehicle - in the game, it's absolute pain to play (~220 km/h top speed and 170 km/h average, you can have a dinner while flying to the target). While the M8A1 is both rare (before, it could only be won in 2015 New Year event) and fun to play.

Tupolev TB-3 by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Last edited:
Could be worse... You could be the nose gunner on the Japanese dragon during a water landing lol.

I wish they'd do another A26 challenge... I'd get back into the game then.

So, I've decided to skip the debate and simply ask forgiveness... Just picked up the USSR boat pack. Looking forward to some surf and turf.

I picked up the USSR boat pack in time for the early test and had a lot of fun! i guess the big ship battles are what we aspire for, but the little boats are great fun, fast paced and quite different to both planes and tanks. Looking forward to getting more time in on the sea.

Really want to see tanks/planes/boats in a battle, would be a blast! Cant wait to see what gaijin bring in the future with the introduction of boats

Really want to see tanks/planes/boats in a battle, would be a blast! Cant wait to see what gaijin bring in the future with the introduction of boats
You know the 'world war' mode which has been greyed out since the game launched but in the settings drop down menu where you select custom battles from as well?

This is what it is.

Think they might ever get infantry? I believe after they do, and grey all working well together, that's when we will get the world war option.
Any of you guys managed to be on when they had a boats test session going?

Think they might ever get infantry? I believe after they do, and grey all working well together, that's when we will get the world war option.
The infantry is present in the game resources and can be added to a custom single mission through War Thunder CDK tool. It also exists in some single missions. When I was playing one on a Ju-87 (it was a ground attack mission), I saw a British soldier running on the ground and even shooting his rifle at me.
Anyway it's not player-controllable. And TBH I woudn't like if the Snails tried to make another FPS game of their vehicle action.

What I would like if they add more variety to tank battles. All you have to do there now is to destroy enemy player tanks and capture points. There are also some AI-controlled tanks and side objectives like destroying the "commander" AI tank and picking up cargo. Kursk map also has artillery. What I'd like to see is missions like where one team raids a convoy of trucks and APC's (Hanomag Sd.Kfz.251 please), the other one defends it. Or assault missions where tanks have to destroy bunkers and firepoints (this is where anti-concrete and high-explosive shells would be very useful, tanks like KV-2 and IS-2 were historically developed for destroying fortifications in the first place).

UPD. Finally, they're making cockpits for ALL planes, including bombers.
DHraxUxUsbY.jpg

tRQxO_CaKek.jpg

JseSQn3uptE.jpg

The "X-ray" mode functionality will be expanded, you'll be able to see the engine specs.
NO_FGA0YEa8.jpg

^"Klimov VK-105PF, V12, liquid cooling, 1271 hp, mass: 600 kg"

Patch Notes on that^
@Swagger897

Major updates for aircraft

3D-Cockpit for all aircraft
In update 1.65 we plan to introduce one of the most anticipated features in Simulator battles: 3D cockpits for all aircraft that do not have them at the moment. Due to the absence of cockpits SB bomber pilots did not have proper immersion on the one hand, and had superior view with the virtual cockpit on the other. This is why we are introducing 3D cockpits - for the majority of multi-seat aircraft in most cases this means a dimensional cockpit model - a simplified cockpit, that takes real aircraft topography into account, as well as pilot allocation and provides a sufficient set of instruments to fly. The decision was made to implement cockpits in this manner for a very good reason. The creation of one bomber cockpit can take as much time as that of an entire fighter aircraft with cockpit! To put that in perspective, to create complete cockpits for all bombers in game would equate approximately to an entirely new nation's complete aviation tree.

Check a few examples of new cockpits:

Changes in the gameplay of bombers
Besides cockpits, there will be another interesting and long anticipated feature - changes in bomber gameplay. Firstly, according to popular demand in Realistic air and combined battles we are switching off the arcade bomb aiming circle, which on one hand will make dive-bombers and attackers more important and on the other hand it will make flying level bombers more interesting and skilfull - players will have to plan their attack and it will encourage them to use bomber view. Secondly, we plan to introduce an option to control bomb doors thus making it possible to drop numerous bombs at once which will make bombing more efficient - at the moment a player has to take the time needed for automatic bomb door opening into account, otherwise bombs usually miss the target.

Further improvements to the "X-Ray" mode
Another useful feature will be expanded functions for the X-ray mode in the hangar, in this mode, information about the nodes and component characteristics will be displayed, in particular - the model and power of the engine depending on the chosen game mode and unlocked modules.

As well as all this, we have concentrated on fixing a lot of different bugs, the list of these fixes will be published in the final change-log in the upcoming major update.

Last edited:
They should've done it a long time ago. They've only essentially upgraded textures from their old IL2 and Wings Of Prey games, with new(ish) aircraft getting new cockpits (ie: P47N, still looks bad).

Can we go B29 bombing again?

Interesting fact, you can rip off the canopy in mid flight in the P61 if you open it :P

065cb8e75c.png

It would be neat, if as BarronVG suggests, they added helicopters. But, I could see some serious issues with planes. Copters would be the proverbial sitting duck, without the benefit of terrain. But it would also be cool of they could allow a few more people per team, and add some more depth to the battle as you mention @Rage Racer. Allowing player tanks and spaa on the air battles that require destroying the ground units. Then the kv2 could be used for attacking enemy pill boxes which could be manned by AI infantry. Perhaps that will be the idea behind the world war game play.
As for the cockpits, that is awesome. That's going to be particularly nice for VR, where it looked quite a bit like a really well painted piece of cardboard. Now if only they would take the time to smooth out the controls when using a flight stick. The mouse aim is just way to much of an advantage not to use in AB and RB.

So, the other day I felt a bit like Latrine when the Sheriff was catapulted into her room... Logged in to see a naval event notification on the screen!!! Clicked the tab just to find the event already had ended... I was this close! I touched it's winky....

Woah...

Hydropneumatic suspension in War Thunder

Behind a complex definition hides a very useful combat ability to change the angle of the tank’s hull in all directions or the ability to ‘hunker down’ the vehicle, seriously reducing its height. Of course, only on vehicles that use this type of suspension.

Hydropneumatic suspension in battle.
Japanese tankers will be the first to try this new mechanic in battle on the Type 74 and STB-1 top-tier tanks. Full freedom of action! By default, you will be able to control the suspension with a numeric keyboard, and the tactical opportunities will amaze both the driver and his enemies. Add hull angling to the usual weapon angling toward the opponent and attack them while remaining practically untouchable to return fire. Settle the tank down and use even low cover to safely hide your vehicle, then suddenly, without showing your hull, jump out and take your shot.

Get to grips with this new technique in full and figure out new tactics in battle.

Japan’s top tanks will become truly interesting vehicles that are worth striving to obtain, and they will add a new dimension to the locations you’re used to in War Thunder.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4380-development-hydropneumatic-suspension-in-war-thunder-en/

Interesting... I don't know that any American tanks utilize this. I know for a fact the Bradley and Abrams don't (I was a mechanic in 5-1AD) don't know about other countries but it sounds like this may be a Japan only thing even in the long run.

Woah...

Hydropneumatic suspension in War Thunder

Behind a complex definition hides a very useful combat ability to change the angle of the tank’s hull in all directions or the ability to ‘hunker down’ the vehicle, seriously reducing its height. Of course, only on vehicles that use this type of suspension.

Hydropneumatic suspension in battle.
Japanese tankers will be the first to try this new mechanic in battle on the Type 74 and STB-1 top-tier tanks. Full freedom of action! By default, you will be able to control the suspension with a numeric keyboard, and the tactical opportunities will amaze both the driver and his enemies. Add hull angling to the usual weapon angling toward the opponent and attack them while remaining practically untouchable to return fire. Settle the tank down and use even low cover to safely hide your vehicle, then suddenly, without showing your hull, jump out and take your shot.

Get to grips with this new technique in full and figure out new tactics in battle.

Japan’s top tanks will become truly interesting vehicles that are worth striving to obtain, and they will add a new dimension to the locations you’re used to in War Thunder.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4380-development-hydropneumatic-suspension-in-war-thunder-en/
I don't play tanks but nice.

Japan really had the best stuff. They just didn't have the resources to make it. Hence why a lot of stuff is consigned to the history of prototypes.

It's like infantry weapons. People say they were rubbish but they weren't in early war when they were produced with some quality. The type 38 produced very little muzzle flash. The type 99 was very powerful, they were running experiments of semi autos. The type 100 was poor but the experimental model 2 was great but they were so rare that you had to be a very notable officer in the right area to have one. I think only about 200 were produced.

Interesting... I don't know that any American tanks utilize this. I know for a fact the Bradley and Abrams don't (I was a mechanic in 5-1AD) don't know about other countries but it sounds like this may be a Japan only thing even in the long run.

From my research the Challenger 2, i think the K2 Black Panther, then of course the Type 74.

Back