War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

The devs say, the capital ships will be AI-controlled in some modes, and one of the tasks of the players on torpedo boats will be to destroy them. However, they still don't rule out player-controlled destroyers and other ships, this will be decided depending on the results of the closed beta test.

Well, if I want to play something less realistic, but containing Kongou, Yamato, Iowa, etc, I still have WoWS. Might try another F2P ship game I heard of, "Steel Ocean" (right?) sometime, too.

Heard of that too but I thought it's just a copy of WoWS...

Until WT has the same ships that WoWS had on their release of open beta... I'll be fine with warships.

Well, I can understand wanting to test small stuff out first, get everything (at least partially) sorted out in terms of physics/game balance before they move onto bigger stuff.

However, flat-out saying that they don't intend to include the bigger stuff (as player controlled) is a bit... dispiriting, to say the least. I tried WoWS a few months ago and even though I had just started, about 8 or 9 of my first dozen matches (beyond rank 1) were against higher tiers. It was fairly enjoyable (probably because it was something new), but I uninstalled because I didn't want to sink to much time in a game where I have to accept being screwed over by the MM the majority of the time (War Thunder is enough).

It would've been nice to see how they would've incorporated the big sea beasts into WT, at least to get a bit of a comparison between the two, hopefully they'll re-think that... but as it is, I'm feeling a whole lot of MEH about ships now.

@Rage Racer if you do try Steel Ocean out, let me know if it's worth playing over WoWS :)

Anyway, I will give these boats a try (I like the Soviet one with Katyusha launcher, seems cool), but will still concentrate on planes and tanks.

@Rage Racer if you do try Steel Ocean out, let me know if it's worth playing over WoWS :)
Try asking @haitch40 , he played both of them (and left a review on Steam), says he liked Steel Ocean more...
I'll get back home on 23rd of this month, and no way I can try it on my current laptop now. ;)

After a very long hiatus, I've finally returned to WT, and in spectacular fashion, sometimes... I've been having some pretty good success in both air and ground games, even finishing several with double aces and no or only a single death. Of course, there were a few RBs were I couldn't even get enough damage, let alone a kill to spawn another vic. Definitely been enjoying this game again though.
On a side note, anyone play this in VR? Been thinking of finishing my new gaming rig so I can get the hotas out and give VR a proper go.

Sukhoi Su-6 is confirmed for 1.63 update.
(I can feel more whining about Russian bias coming... :D)
su6_1920x1080_logo_com_cad04bab13b55df44004ac2d0fb0ce76.jpg

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4224-development-su-6-chasing-the-leader-en/

Do any of you gents squad up? I've been playing pretty regularly. Be cool too team up in some battles.

I would squad up with a friend of mine but I haven't updated Warthunder for a while. Do you play more planes or tanks in Warthunder.

I've been on a tank kick, trying to get to the second tier of Russian tanks, but I play plenty of both.

I've been on a tank kick, trying to get to the second tier of Russian tanks, but I play plenty of both.

Nice tier two of the Russian tanks are fun since you have the KV1s and the T34s and the first SU-122 I believe which can be a bit OP for their tier.

Hoping so, grinding these tier ones has been rough. The American tier ones are much better. I'm just now getting into the Tier 2s with both. Been having some spectacularly bad games though.

Before anyone starts whining about Russian bias, try the current weekend event - "Defense" in Stalingrad, for tier 2 Soviet and German medium tanks. I played about 7 or 8 times, but only once the Soviets won. In one battle, I did 5 consecutive kills on one T-34 '41 (and one kill on T-34 '42 before, 6 kills in total). But that was my luck and skill, I think. When I was doing this, I was the lone survivor in my team. But I ran out of luck after the 5th kill. Two stupid ricochets from a StuG III F and it sent me home. (I saved the replay, I'll record and share if you like)

Warning: this event is Realistic Battle mode. Some newbies in my team were spamming the chat with "AH WHERE ARE THE MARKERS?! Why am I shot out of nowhere?! What mode is this?". Perhaps that's why they lost so often... :D
(As for me, RB is my most played mode, both on tanks and planes.)

Hoping so, grinding these tier ones has been rough. The American tier ones are much better. I'm just now getting into the Tier 2s with both. Been having some spectacularly bad games though.

Yeah tier 1 Russian tanks are lightly armored compared to the other nations but still pretty good at that tier.

It called me a bad player! :irked: I may have a 48% efficiency rating and a 1.1 KD ratio, but I'm not bad.

Edit: ... Soooo, that was my arcade battle rating, just noticed what my realistic rating is... :banghead: 28%...

The devs announce something interesting on the IgroMir game show in Moscow. Not only that I'll be able to play GT Sport demo there, but also this... :cool: Nice.

The fleet gameplay, maybe?..

So, I took a free flight on the Moscow map, which is currently not avalable for MP air battles (however, the Volokolamsk map for combined battles is basically the same map, but the combat area is pretty far from Moscow city), only for single & coop missions (and training mode), and headed to Moscow itself, to see how the Snails recreated my city of winter 1941/42, the time of Battle of Moscow.

Heading to the center. Flying along the Moskvoretskaya Embarkment. Approaching Kremlin.
Polikarpov I-153 over Moscow by RageRacer48, on Flickr

When I first got close to Kremlin, I thought: "What the... What's with these textures?"
Moscow Kremlin and Red Square in 1941 by RageRacer48, on Flickr
Moscow Kremlin and Red Square in 1941 by RageRacer48, on Flickr

But then, I remembered. The fortress and other historic buildings (including the Saint Basil's Cathedral) were painted to blend in with civilian houses and confuse the Luftwaffe pilots who bombed Moscow occasionally, bright attachments like ruby stars or gold crosses were removed or covered, and roofs were camoflaged.

Polikarpov I-153 over Red Square by RageRacer48, on Flickr

^The Red Square was partially covered with false houses so it didn't look like a square anymore. The Mausoleum is covered, too.
(In First Squad anime movie, which also takes place in WWII Moscow, they failed to depict all of this :D)

^The State Historical Museum is visible here (if you know where to look, haha). It also can be seen that many houses have their windows stuck with paper tape, like I've read it was in reality.

So, I decided to cosplay Mathias Rust and land on the Red Square. (First time didn't go well :D)
I-153 on Vasilyevskiy Spusk square by RageRacer48, on Flickr

I-153 on the Red Square by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Saint Basil's Cathedral by RageRacer48, on Flickr

I could also fly some more and try to find some other historic sights around the city (or even my university - it was built in 1903 so it should be there), but that would probably take a lot of time.
Instead, I flew northwest and found the Moscow River where it flows close to the district where I live. However, my district wasn't yet built in 1941 so I found a small village and forest on the rest of its place.
Polikarpov I-153 "Chaika" by RageRacer48, on Flickr

^These fighters are flying just over the place of the game show I'll go tomorrow to (Krasnogorsk area). :cool:

Well, Gaijin did a nice job anyway. (Too bad we can't see it in MP.) Let's see what they show tomorrow...

I've been away from the game for a week, because of hardware problems (first power supply, then graphics card), now seems like I fixed it (reassembled the card and changed the thermal compound - no more crashes), so I'm back. (Too bad that I can't play my PC account on my PS4 when my PC gets screwed like this.)

I chose a tier II plane for the comeback to air battles (RB mode that I play most often) - the A6M2. And... I rammed two enemy planes in one RB match. :lol:
Mitsubishi A6M2 "Zero" (model 21) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

First, I tried attacking an American Bf.109F head-on (I know it's a bad idea, but somehow I wanted to try). No hits, and time to turn away... but he turned away in the same direction. Contact... And his plane crashes, but mine gets away with just little damage. LoL. And that's Zero, one of the lightest fighters in the game.

Next, another head-on attack. The enemy hits me badly and it counts him a kill, but I manage to lift my burning plane up and he crashes into it, so I took him with me. Technically, I neutralized two enemies, but the game doesn't count these as kills.

That's Kamikaze spirit. :D

Last edited:

There are more skins of this series for other planes, too, but I only put them on the P-63 and Yak-3 because they are the "racing" planes (the best planes for air race events that allow tier 3 fighters only). I'll only use them when I play the races or arcade battles (but I mostly play realistic), because they'll just look stupid in RB.

But somehow skins like these bring me luck. When I gave them a first try in RB, I did 4 kills on the P-63 and 3 kills on the Yak-3P. One kill was done using the "idol" sight (see the last screen). :D

These skins also show how deep you can modify your plane (livery, cockpit and now even sights). However, other players won't see it.

Back