War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

To be honest, if it can be utilized on the ps4 you're far better off using a mouse and keyboard. On the PC, if you are playing AB or RB, you're at a pretty big disadvantage when it comes to firing accuracy. With a stick you bounce around a lot making lining up a shot tough. The mouse is a lot more point and shoot. Not as immersive, but definitely an advantage.

SO... I got the T32...

Seems to be fun, definely a step above the T26 (which is what the armor should work).

Unfortunately every Panther 2 has hit my lower glacis tonight...

The 1.67 update is coming tomorrow.

New vehicles:
http://warthunder.com/en/news/4573-development-update-1-67-assault-digest-en/

I may consider buying the IS-6 if it will be as OP as the T29. Hehe.

Also, they added exhaust flames for planes 👍

Don't unless you actually like the Russian tank line.

It's a bit overpriced if I'm being honest and it's not gonna be as good as the RU sooo....

Anyways, once the A26 comes out I'll be grinding that and put a talisman on it most likely. SO EXCITED!!!

Don't unless you actually like the Russian tank line.
Well, Soviet and German tank lines are my most developed. I'm about to get the IS-3.

I have the Type 62 (bonus Chinese tank in the Soviet tree), but it doesn't have premium XP and money multipilers. And it's pretty weak until you unlock the HEAT shells.

According to reviews from the Dev server, IS-6 is basically IS-3 with weaker armor (and one step lower BR). So... I don't think I'll buy it. I'll rather get the T-34-100 if I want a tier IV Soviet premium tank.

Anyways, once the A26 comes out I'll be grinding that and put a talisman on it most likely. SO EXCITED!!!
I already have it :P
A-26C, the bundle one. Good if you know how to use it.

April 1st event will include modern tanks (Leopard 2 and T-90) and... HELICOPTERS! :drool:

Gameplay stream by Russian youtuber, Alconafter:

So, I tested all 4 vehicles exclusive to this event (T-90A, Leopard 2A5, Apache (under fictional name "GM-64") and Mi-35). Took some screenshots.

McDonnel Douglas AH-64 Apache by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Mil Mi-35M "Crocodile" by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Mil Mi-35M "Crocodile" by RageRacer48, on Flickr

T-90A Vladimir by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Leopard 2A5 by RageRacer48, on Flickr

The T-90 has better cannon (which is able to fire ATGMs), but the Leo seems to be protected a little better.
The helicopter mechanics is quite primitive, and the controls are reeeally uncomfortable. But still, they're incredibly fun to play.

Also, the Snails finally added the smoke screen mechanics (as you can see on the last 4 screenshots). I guess this event is also a test of the new feature, it is yet to be polished and added to the game later. War Thunder has plenty of tanks equipped with smoke grenade launchers but they don't work yet.

I have to disagree with the better gun. I think overall the Leo wins hands down in every category.

Turret traverse: Leo
Reload: Leo
Penetration: I believe equal but bias says Leo
Armor: Leo (angling your armor works incredibly effective. I was bouncing shots like I was in the T29).
Speed: Leo + 1 due to reverse speed.

Yes, the Leo only has 2 ammo types, of which I think the APDS FS works best, whereas the T 90 has 4. I found the ATGM to be nearly useless as I can snipe you with my APDS FS before your slow ATGM hits me. The HE (or it may be APCBC) shell it gets seems to do okay against Leos, but shooting at other T90s is a joke. The other two rounds are shared I believe, but IIRC the Leo gets the better pen value.

I like the event, and I like what OrangeDoom has to say about him wanting to see it stay, so would I. There's a definite place for this stuff and I wish that it wouldn't be a grinding thing, but rather a new category if nation selections with more modern equipment.

Helicopters though are incredibly OP. I don't like them one bit. Driving out of spawn and being killed across the map by yet another ATGM is just so boring...

Late to the game here but holy crap was that an awesome April 1st event! I loved every aspect, including the heli's. Rumor mill, and changes this last minor patch seems to indicate that modern tanks will be coming, and probably sooner than later. But, I really really hope that the heli aspect is very similar to boats, in that this was a bit of an alpha test. Being an early adopt to the ship program, having bought the Russian PB, I would much rather seem them ditch that effort and focus on building helicopter trees and continue with events similar to the April 1st event.

Edit: to add to this. I also preferred the T90, I used the ATGM to take out the heli's and apds for everything else. What I didn't like about the Leo was how easy it was to hit the ammo in the turret. I killed more Leo's that way, than any other tank in the game.

Last edited:
I won the Sturmgewehr 44 decoration. :P

Type 62 (Norinco WZ-131) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Kugelblitz by RageRacer48, on Flickr

M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Not sure if I'll have free time on the next week for this event, but if I'll do, I'll try to get 2 more medals in the event (if you're unaware: http://warthunder.com/en/news/4648-special-war-thunder-chronicles-en/) and I'll have one more gun decoration (Type 100 please :rolleyes:) and the premium Matilda with Soviet F-96 cannon).

I fully missed that they were decorations! I thought the guns were just stickers. I'll have to have a closer look. I'm 6 from 6 so far with the chronicles event, gunning for the A33 Excelsior! First event I've really taken part in and I'm really enjoying it.

So, I got 6 medals of the "Chronicles" event and won the Soviet Matilda (same model as the British Mk.II but with re-armed 76mm cannon identical to the one on T-34 1941) and another decoration (Japanese SMG, Type 100). And that's enough for me on this event. Don't need the Excelsior (and I don't have that much time). I'd like the Yak-3T but I absolutely do not have time for 11 pilot medals.

Now, my collection of vehicles I won in events is:

Pz.III N (2014 "Summer Madness")
T-34-57 1943 (2014 "Summer Madness")
Bf.109E Japanese ver. (some event in 2014)
T-26 1st Guards Brigade (a short event in 2014)
Po-2 (Haloween 2014 event)
B-25J Soviet ver. (an event 2014 or so)
He.51 Hydroplane (2014 or 2015, not sure)
DB-7 French Air Force (anniversary event, 2014 or 2015, not sure)
LaGG-3-23 (some event in 2015)
A13 Mk.I 3rd RTR (2016 New Year present)
Grant Mk.I British ver. (2016 "Operation SUMMER")
Ha-Go commander (2017 New Year present)
LVT(A)-4 ZiS-2 Chinese mod. (2017 New Year Marathon)
Type 62 (2017 New Year Marathon)
Matilda Mk.II F-96 Soviet mod. (2017 "WW2 Chronicles")

I think I'm done with WT for this month.

...or not?

The Snails announced Italy to be the new nation in War Thunder. First, only planes. (But tanks may probably come later). Two fighters are available for pre-order.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4671-italian-aircraft-in-war-thunder-update-1-69-regia-aeronautica-en

Look what I got! :P

BM-13N Katyusha by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Very challenging to play in AB mode and almost useless in RB (in realistic mode, MLRS can only be reloaded on a friendly base, in arcade, you can reload anywhere). So it's purely a collector's item.

But it was worth it. The "Katyusha challenge" isn't as hard as I thought it would be. So the premium vehicle is mine, completely for free.

Thats very cool @Rage Racer, I haven't had the chance to do that challenge yet, I'm trying to finish off the chronicles to get the British tank. The switch to US vs Germans has thrown me as the US is the tree I have ignored the most, and trying to play the Germans you end up in queue for a long time.

How did you do the challenge? Arcade or RB?

How did you do the challenge? Arcade or RB?

Arcade. There's no multipiler for RB or SB modes, so it's better to do in arcade. Not only that you can reload anywhere in AB, you can also gain kills by attack planes and bombers.

A few advices:
  • The BM-8-24 you're given for the challenge can call artillery strikes. They're very effective against enemy BM's and other lightly armored vehicles (Flakpanzer I, Marder III, etc). Use them (and aviation) one you get access to them.
  • Buying a "backup" (extra respawn, not sure how's it called in English version) for 20 gold eagles (for the BM-8-24) will make the task twice easier.
  • Use covers to fire rockets over them (you can correct your fire using binoculars of the "hit cam" when you hit an enemy). This will allow you to fire with less risk of being hit and it's just more fun.
  • Aim for light targets first. Vehicles like StuG III or T-34 will take a few more than one hit to kill so it's better to ignore them if there are easier targets nearby.
  • If you fail to do 5 kills on the BM-8-24, just leave the battle to save the rental time and try again.
Good luck!

Last edited:
@Rage Racer So you don't have to do it in the event 'rocket science' ? You can just do it in regular arcade battle?
Yes. Just random battles.

EDIT. Oh, they added a special mission for the BM-8? It wasn't there yesterday. Well, I don't know if you can do it in random battles now. But it's propably even easier in this new mission. Plus you can respawn even without a backup.

Last edited:
I've had no luck with the BM-8 yet but will give it another go today.

But I have finished the Tank WW2 Chronicles!

shot 2017.05.08 09.16.49.jpg

I have all Japanese jets except Keiun Kai V3 and F-86, but no jets on other nations. Well, MiG-9 is currently in research. I'll get it after some more flights on my Yak-3 VK-107...

Back