War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Well. 7-0 with the Fiat in Realistic Battle. The 200k SL was nice, same with the 20k RP. Love this plane.

32482b597d.jpg

Been playing ships like crazy this weekend. They have a capture the zone style arcade and destroy the cargo ship style realistic. Definitely feeling good about this mode now. Arcade is mostly smaller PT boats and gun ships. They seemed to have nerfed the boats a lot so it doesn't take a year to shoot down a boat anymore. And ammo shots are a real thing now too.
Realistic also got the same all around ship nerf. Or maybe it's ammo buff. Either way it has helped game play a bunch. Ship handling feels about the same, however, the sights seem to track a straight line better. It does feel like it struggles to get on a line you want though. For me it tended to not take my fine adjustments very well, when trying to adjust up or down, almost locking into a groove somewhere just a touch to high or to low. Did I mention that shooting the ammo rack is a thing now? I had a destroy get wrecked about 10 seconds after joining the fight. A couple well placed rounds took it out in short order.
Overall, there is still a lot of polish left. I think the aim mechanics need a bit more work, but have been getting progressively better. A bit more fiddling with the boats "hit points" and a few others and I think this may end up being better than some people thought. Given that destroyers have been added, it also seems Gaijin maybe have been listening to the player base too. A lot of the complaints I've heard seem to be getting addressed in a generally positive way.
I wonder if we will see helicopters or modern tanks coming soon after the get the boats update out.

Planes in the other hand. Those have gotten mildly frustrating. I can tag a bomber heavily with my C-61 and it doesn't even get a critical, but one buzz from the rear mount 50 and my plane folds up like a taco. Grrr.

Last edited:
So, I bought the T29 on the sale. There are now lots of them in ~6.7 BR matches. American teams in RB consist of T29's in a large part. :D

20170701153940_1.jpg

Well, it's not a completely pay-to-win machine, but for a somewhat skilled player, the T29 is very comfortable to play (until you face another popular premium heavy tank - the IS-6). The bundle also included M3A1 USMC (useless), Grant Mk.1 (decent, but I already had the British one), 22 days of premium account and 3000 eagles, so it was worth it. I didn't spend the eagles yet, but I'll get the He.219 or wait for a good discount to drop.

(I'd like a discount for T-34-100 or T-44-122... Like when I was lucky with Bfw. Jagdpanther with 75% off.)

I have a question. How important is trimming in simulator battles? I've just started playing sim after playing realistic for about a year.

I have a question. How important is trimming in simulator battles? I've just started playing sim after playing realistic for about a year.
Important? It isn't really defined like that.

Trimming is just stabilising the lift of the wings so it doesn't go up or down or roll when the stick is dead centre. It doesn't really affect performance.

So, I bought the T29 on the sale. There are now lots of them in ~6.7 BR matches. American teams in RB consist of T29's in a large part. :D

View attachment 657902

Well, it's not a completely pay-to-win machine, but for a somewhat skilled player, the T29 is very comfortable to play (until you face another popular premium heavy tank - the IS-6). The bundle also included M3A1 USMC (useless), Grant Mk.1 (decent, but I already had the British one), 22 days of premium account and 3000 eagles, so it was worth it. I didn't spend the eagles yet, but I'll get the He.219 or wait for a good discount to drop.

(I'd like a discount for T-34-100 or T-44-122... Like when I was lucky with Bfw. Jagdpanther with 75% off.)
I think for the last few months now actually it's been like that with the T29 and T34 tanks. Overall they just fit that BR too good.

Trim is like a quality of life improvement. It's nice to have but not necessary. And it only really helps once in level flight/steady climb. Once you get into a fight you should just reset trim all the trims back to zero and commence the fight.

If you're playing the ground forces in a plane though, using trim is nice (once you've made sure there are no enemy planes) to get into a circling pattern over the battle and help your team out. Essentially being a spotter plane.

Annnd i bought an IS-6... Throwing my Credit Card at Gaijooble literally.
:D I don't have it, but from what I've heard, it's a pay-to-win. But only if the player isn't completely pincer-handed, of course. And decently skilled opponents know how to counter it. Russian WT bloggers say it will probably be nerfed in coming updates.

Meanwhile, I finally got my first kill on the MiG-9 (RB mode). Downed a Me-262 after diving on it at ~900 km\h. The MiG-9 is useless when it comes to horizontal maneuvers but has decent straight-line speed, so it's good for boom'n'zoom tactics.

Also, I unlocked the RS-132 rockets for Su-6 and tried it in combined battles. Great. Not only that ten 132mm rockets can work on enemy tanks very well (they're not as accurate as the American HVARs, but you can launch few in a row), it can also kick ass in air combat.

Oh, if only such machines as Su-6 and I-185 were launched into mass production... The war could be won quicker and a lot of lives could be saved.

:D I don't have it, but from what I've heard, it's a pay-to-win. But only if the player isn't completely pincer-handed, of course. And decently skilled opponents know how to counter it. Russian WT bloggers say it will probably be nerfed in coming updates.

Meanwhile, I finally got my first kill on the MiG-9 (RB mode). Downed a Me-262 after diving on it at ~900 km\h. The MiG-9 is useless when it comes to horizontal maneuvers but has decent straight-line speed, so it's good for boom'n'zoom tactics.

Also, I unlocked the RS-132 rockets for Su-6 and tried it in combined battles. Great. Not only that ten 132mm rockets can work on enemy tanks very well (they're not as accurate as the American HVARs, but you can launch few in a row), it can also kick ass in air combat.

Oh, if only such machines as Su-6 and I-185 were launched into mass production... The war could be won quicker and a lot of lives could be saved.

I mean if you use it right, it literally bounces everything.. almost.... But its great to grind out the tree lol.

I won a 75% discount for the American FW-190A-8. Now that's what I'll spend the eagles on! And even have some remaining...

I'm using the binoculars in War Thunder, how can I fire the gun, I watched a video but doesn't say.
Have to go back to gunner view to fire.

I'm using the binoculars in War Thunder, how can I fire the gun, I watched a video but doesn't say.
Have to go back to gunner view to fire.
On PC, I switch to binoculars, find the target, point on it, press LMB (fire button), and the gun points there. Then I switch to the gun sight and it's already pointed where I want, and I can shoot immediately. This is useful because the binoculars have higher zoom (not on all tanks, some have the scope zoom higher) and higher point of view, so it lets you shoot through a visual cover (e.g. bush or fallen tree). Or adjust your fire: shoot, then quickly switch to binoculars and see closely where your shell is flying.

Just bought a Strv-81, i now have premiums in all tree's.. Minus Japan. :dopey:
I have premiums in all trees (including Japan), but not tier IV premiums in all trees. Most are cheaper tier II or III. And there are some I got for free (won in events or got for warbonds), like Matilda F-96 and Wetmore's P-51D-10.

I heard the Strv 81 is good, and I'll buy it too. But not now. Later.

@Rage Racer

Currently i have

German Tree: Ru 251, Tiger II, P-47, FW 190 D-13
US Tree: P-51 D-20, T29, also the stupid 1.0 BR F2A-1, and the F3F-2
Russian Tree: P-47, LaGG-3-23, Yak-9M, IS6, IS-2
British Tree: Wyvern, Mustang MK 1A, Strv-81, ACIV Thunderbolt.

@Kitten

Alright, my current collection is:

USA: F2A-1 (Thatch), Ki-61-Ib, Bf.109F-4, BTD-1, Fw.190A-8, P-51D-10, M2A4 (1st Arm.Div.), M3A1 (USMC), M8A1, LVT(A)-4 ZiS-2, Grant I, T29.
Germany: He.51B-2 Hydro, CR.42CN (Marcolin), BV.238, Bf.109G-2 (Romania), Pz.II H, Pz.III N, Panzerwerfer 42, Kpfpz. Churchill, KV-1B (75 mm), Bfw. Jagdpanther
USSR: I-153 (Zhukovsky), LaGG-3-23, P-39K-1, Il-2M "Avenger", B-25J, Yak-3 (VK-107), T-26 (1st GTB), SU-57, T-III, BM-13N, Matilda (F-96), ZUT-37, SMK, KV-1E, T-34-57 (1943), Type 62
Britain: Wirraway, D.520, DB-7, Mustang Mk.IA, Hellcat Mk.II, A13 Mk.I (3rd RTR), Grant Mk.I
Japan: Bf.109E, Ki-44-II otsu, Fw.190A-5, A6M5 Kou, Ha-Go (Commander), Chi-Ha (120 mm), Tiger No.6
Italy: CR.42CN (Marcolin).

Last edited:
@Kitten

Alright, my current collection is:

USA: F2A-1 (Thatch), Ki-61-Ib, Bf.109F-4, BTD-1, Fw.190A-8, P-51D-10, M2A4 (1st Arm.Div.), M3A1 (USMC), M8A1, LVT(A)-4 ZiS-2, Grant I, T29.
Germany: He.51B-2 Hydro, CR.42CN (Marcolin), BV.238, Bf.109G-2 (Romania), Pz.II H, Pz.III M, Panzerwerfer 42, Kpfpz. Churchill, KV-1B (75 mm), Bfw. Jagdpanther
USSR: I-153 (Zhukovsky), LaGG-3-23, P-39K-1, Il-2M "Avenger", B-25J, Yak-3 (VK-107), T-26 (1st GTB), SU-57, T-III, BM-13N, Matilda (F-96), ZUT-37, SMK, KV-1E, T-34-57 (1943), Type 62
Britain: Wirraway, D.520, DB-7, Mustang Mk.IA, Hellcat Mk.II, A13 Mk.I (3rd RTR), Grant Mk.I
Japan: Bf.109E, Ki-44-II otsu, Fw.190A-5, A6M5 Kou, Ha-Go (Commander), Chi-Ha (120 mm), Tiger No.6
Italy: CR.42CN (Marcolin).

Ah i forgot Italian Tree the G.55S

On PC, I switch to binoculars, find the target, point on it, press LMB (fire button), and the gun points there. Then I switch to the gun sight and it's already pointed where I want, and I can shoot immediately. This is useful because the binoculars have higher zoom (not on all tanks, some have the scope zoom higher) and higher point of view, so it lets you shoot through a visual cover (e.g. bush or fallen tree).

Issue I have with this is that the gun sight will often re-align itself elsewhere instead of where you have it pointed in the binoculars because of said bushes or trees... Extremely annoying.

So, I got 6 tanker medals on the event, and won some decorations - Arisaka Type 44, M1 Carbine and Panzerfaust 60. One more and I'll have Sd.Kfz.234/4 armored car (the Puma with 75mm PaK40 cannon).
However, some Russian streamers already got it and posted reviews. I don't know when any reviews in English will be out, but you can take a look at these vids:

"Alconafter" nicknamed this car Alpha-Puma. It has 3.0 battle rating, but plays well even at 5.7.

So, rank VI for tanks is definitely going to be a thing... M60a1 (RISE), MBT-70 (as well as a west-german variant) and the T-64A have been unveiled at Gamescom, which introduces tanks featuring reactive/composite armor. The plan is to flesh out out rank 6 while adding/moving various tanks around (ATGM's possibly moving up in BR), and thankfully the new additions won't be even worse to grind, as I seem to remember one of the staff confirming on the t-64 comments (since hidden) that they will be similar in RP costs to the current rank V vehicles. In fact, he also mentioned that in time (soon) the RP costs for rank 4 + 5 tanks would be lowered, similar to what happened with late props/early jets.

Personally, that can't happen soon enough for me; at the time of writing I'm currently at 2.3 with the Japanese (still), 6.7 with the Brits, 6.0 on the US tree and 7.0/7.3 with the Germans and Soviets respectively. The American tree in particular is a bit silly (imo), every single tank at 6.7 is 200k+ to research... and then there's the 7.0 black hole effect. I've been playing with Cent Mk 3 and the FV4 at 6.3 but it seemed 3 out of every 5 games would be a full up-tier (with the almost inevitable clubbing being delivered). If the above BR changes help to de-compress things a bit (especially at the current 6.7 bracket) that would be a huge boon.

So, rank VI for tanks is definitely going to be a thing... M60a1 (RISE), MBT-70 (as well as a west-german variant) and the T-64A have been unveiled at Gamescom, which introduces tanks featuring reactive/composite armor. The plan is to flesh out out rank 6 while adding/moving various tanks around (ATGM's possibly moving up in BR), and thankfully the new additions won't be even worse to grind, as I seem to remember one of the staff confirming on the t-64 comments (since hidden) that they will be similar in RP costs to the current rank V vehicles. In fact, he also mentioned that in time (soon) the RP costs for rank 4 + 5 tanks would be lowered, similar to what happened with late props/early jets.

Personally, that can't happen soon enough for me; at the time of writing I'm currently at 2.3 with the Japanese (still), 6.7 with the Brits, 6.0 on the US tree and 7.0/7.3 with the Germans and Soviets respectively. The American tree in particular is a bit silly (imo), every single tank at 6.7 is 200k+ to research... and then there's the 7.0 black hole effect. I've been playing with Cent Mk 3 and the FV4 at 6.3 but it seemed 3 out of every 5 games would be a full up-tier (with the almost inevitable clubbing being delivered). If the above BR changes help to de-compress things a bit (especially at the current 6.7 bracket) that would be a huge boon.
Yeah, T-64A is a real surprise. The first tank in WT to have composite armor. But I'll have to unlock T-44-100, T-54 (they'll be united into one pack so only the first one will be necessary), T-62 and T-55A first.

Some more vehicles are announced - BMP-1 and BTR-152A.
bmp_1_1280x1024_logo_ru_098d6d986bbebc0141a2ac6ec553bb7b.jpg

btr_152a_1280x1024_logo_ru_93d3ac6b93993ce170493e79656fb89c.jpg

The latter one is cool. I've been behind the wheel of a real one. (Never drove it though.)

There are also planes with large caliber cannons coming (XA-38 Grizzly and Ki-109), I suppose they'll be useful in naval battles.
I also like the new map, Fulda Gap. Reminds of Wargame: European Escalation.

More notes from the devs:

• Some tanks will be moved to tier 6;
  • Tier 5 premium tanks will come;
  • No tier 6 planes in 1.71;
  • Helicopters are possible, but not confirmed, they'll undergo testing by the dev team;
  • The devs will test Vietnam war era planes with missiles;
  • Apart from the Fulda Gap, there's another new map coming ("very beautiful scapes", something Japan-related).
  • Over 20 new vehicles in 1.71.

Back