War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

@Lion-Face I used to exclusively play Air RB. Whenever I had time, which was, and still is, kinda rare nowadays. Managed to get up to the Yak-9T on the Russian tech tree; the fighter before the FW-190 family on the Germans; the OS2U on the American tree and I haven't touched the others. I used to have the G.55 unlocked but something happened where it lost my progress - I guess it reverted back to the previous save on record on the servers - so I'm back to ground zero on the Italians.

I just grew tired of the unbalanced tier system for Air RB. I put a few modifications on my Yak-1B and I'm facing mk. V Spitfires :lol:

However Tank RB is more rewarding, I feel. Plus I'm accelerating down the tech tree a lot quicker than in Air RB. I've been playing it properly for about three or four hours for the past two days and I'm already at the KV-1. Almost fully researched it. I think I need a few hundred research points and I can buy it.

I don't know why but I really like the Russian tech tree. Love my I-16 Type 27 with 6 mini "Ivans" if we can even call them that :lol:

They do 🤬 all :lol: but I still like need practice.

Also agree on the strategy aspect with higher tiers. But like Air RB I would get uptiered pretty hard. Have faced my fair share of Stugs in my poor derpy T-50.

What I love about lower tier is the new players that either take the default ammo count or take the max ammo they can. Only to get ammo racked by me in my little T-26 :lol: Either get ammo racked and explode instantly or I keep setting them on fire. Which is, I gotta say, the worst way to go out in War Thunder. Whether it is Tank RB or Air RB, fires are the most discouraging thing to happen to a player. You just sit there and watch..

EDIT

Just got the KV-1 :D

Last edited:
@Lion-Face
I just grew tired of the unbalanced tier system for Air RB. I put a few modifications on my Yak-1B and I'm facing mk. V Spitfires :lol:
Modifications do not affect the balancing.
Players are balanced by the battle rating (BR) of their tanks/planes.

Also agree on the strategy aspect with higher tiers. But like Air RB I would get uptiered pretty hard. Have faced my fair share of Stugs in my poor derpy T-50.
When you are uptiered on the T-50, you can't rely on your armor anymore but still can use your speed - the T-50 is fast enough to take good positions quickly and attack the enemies from where they don't expect.

This also means, your strategy should depend on what enemy are you facing, on many other vehicles as well.

What I love about lower tier is the new players that either take the default ammo count or take the max ammo they can. Only to get ammo racked by me in my little T-26 :lol:
There's a challenge popular among Russian players (including Youtubers): to take a BT-5 into a tier V RB match and kill a Leopard 1. :D
The BT-5 is one of the fastest tanks in WT (thanks to the weight, power and the Christie chassis), and the Leo 1 barely has armor.

But recently, there's a new challenge became popular - to kill an Abrams with a T-34-85. Which is more tricky.

Just got the KV-1 :D
Great tank if you don't play against Germans with their long-barrel 75mm cannons. For most other opponents, you are pretty hard to penetrate.
A tip for KV-1: turn the hull a bit to make a bigger angle of the armor towards the enemy so it will be harder to pen you. And while reloading away from cover, turn the turret away - for the same purpose.

I won the Boarhound!
lx-P2-28rHA.jpg

Tested it. A decent machine on its BR, but not when it faces 4.0 opponents (like KV-1B/E).
Good, but not OP.

Features:
57mm M1 cannon with explosive AP shells (same as on SU-57);
smoke grenade launcher;
vertical stabilizer;
recon mode (target spotting mechanics).

Should be fun to play and relax on 3.0 BR. And a nice addition to my collection.

@Rage Racer Nice work! I have one more 2000pt game to win it, hopefully tonight...

I was surprised to see a number of them in a game of mine earlier in the week when only 5 of the 6 achievements had been completed. They do hit quite hard, very cool addition.

I find a lot of complaints like this on the forums, regardless of ground or air battles. I don't mind the 1.0 BR Spread, it keeps you on your toes and makes you find another way around the problem. Although I have always played GF, so I don't know how bad it can be in the Air with only a handful of hours in a bird by comparison. Or is there more to it than that?

I have one more 2000pt game to win it, hopefully tonight...
The easiest way to get 2k points is to use an aircraft. Like the P-40E if you play for the Americans. If you die in a tank and get enough respawn points to switch to a plane, you can use it to farm points (the aviation does it quicker than tanks). The P-40E carries 3 bombs and .50 cal Brownings that rip the Panzers' roof armor like cheese. And shooting down enemy birds is greatly rewarded, too. Once you hit 2k points, bail out and switch to a tank before the battle ends (so the game will count the achievement for tank battles, not air).

@Rage Racer Thanks, but I'm terrible at aircraft, so I'm doing it the hard way. It depends on the map, sometimes they lend themselves to 2k points easy in tanks, and others are easier to get 6 kills. So I will hit either one of those (ideally both) and then fill out the tasks with 40kills/10wins which are a given provided you play enough.

Had one hell of a game and managed to finish both 6 kills and 2k points with 10 kills, but one guy had a plane kill and 6 less tank kills blitzes me for points! I'm guessing a tanks BR has an effect on how much points you can earn from a kill, with lower BR paying out more for killing a higher BR tank? I had never paid attention to this difference until this event.

shot 2018.04.26 20.34.41.jpg

I really gotta stop buying every vehicle the instant I research it :lol:

I just bought the 1940 T-34 :lol: *facepalm*

Also, the KV-1 is a BEAST! Bouncing shots left and right

Last edited:
I am going to sound dumb here.

How do I aim on ships? My shells seem to go miles past the target I am aiming at.

I am going to sound dumb here.

How do I aim on ships? My shells seem to go miles past the target I am aiming at.
Highlight the target (CMB by default) and you’ll see the distance that your guns are aiming at. In RB, you can adjust it using mouse wheel by default. In arcade, it’s adjusted automatically after a shot.

Quick question. I've unlocked all the shell types for my T-34 but I only see 4 on the spawn screen. Is there a way for me to get the other shell?

EDIT

NVM found it :D

Been hitting a streak of bad luck.... The highest time I've spent alive was 2:35min. That was my travel time to the objective only to get sniped by a Firefly or King Cobra

EDIT 2

What I absolutely hate is the fact that my shells will disappear if I fired them moments before I died.

Last edited:
EDIT 2

What I absolutely hate is the fact that my shells will disappear if I fired them moments before I died.

That I believe is lag/latency. Since I live in NZ, my average ping is 350ms. In a tight moment where I am facing the enemy and we both press fire, I will lose as I am behind and in reality they have already taken the shot. The server believes you died before you shot, so your shot disappears. It's a disadvantage for sure, but only happens on occasion so doesn't bother me, mostly cos there isn't anything I can do about it so it's not worth worrying about.

Finally unlocked the M4A1.... was excited because of the history of the Shermans and all the movies, etc.

So far I've been absolutely destroyed every round :lol:

Happens alot with a new tank. You will learn how to play it and extract performance out of it. I think when you get into the first shermans the american tree becomes a lot more fun. I didnt enjoy the 1.0-3.0 gameplay of the americans

Finally unlocked the M4A1.... was excited because of the history of the Shermans and all the movies, etc.

So far I've been absolutely destroyed every round :lol:
Welcome to playing Shermans in War Thunder. The experience won't change.
Shermans are good. After the update when the stabilizer mechanics has been implemented, the Shermans became much better.
When you encounter an enemy and slow down, your aim won't bounce up and down. Your gun will be pointed immediately where you want, and the first shot will be yours. The explosive AP shells of American tanks are very powerful, capable of one-shotting most of the enemies on their BR. Thus, Shermans have the upper hand in mobile head-on combat at close-medium range (e.g. city combat).

The M4A3E2 becomes an ultimate killing machine when it's matched with its own BR (4.7), almost impossible to penetrate by most of the opponents from the front. However, you still have to watch the sides.

P.S. One more victory in the WW2 Chronicles and I'm done with this. :crazy: The Lorraine 155 will be mine.
The Pakwagen (Sd.Kfz.234/4) that I won last summer really saved me in Normandy.

Last edited:
@Rage Racer that's the Jumbo right? And there's two versions, no? One at 4.7 and the other at 6.0?

@Lion-Face Oh it has become a bit more enjoyable. I really liked my M8 and still rock it in my line-up. I liked the run and gun style of 1-2 BR battles :lol: Full of derp moments and the grind for tanks isn't that bad.

I'm currently stuck trying to research the P-40. I'm sitting with three Pea Shooters and an OSU. I'm so tired of the plane grind. I need another 7k or so RP to unlock it and it's taking so damn long. As soon as I overcome that BR 1.0 hump in the tech tree it'll be smooth sailing.

I will say though, the ammo placement/storage in the Sherman is weird. I only take around 25 rounds anyway because the rounds are usually short plus I never need more than 30 rounds. However I asked some players and they said 45 max if you don't want any in the turret, but 38 was the magic number. Tried that out and I didn't really like it so I stuck with 25.

I've never been ammo racked but I've been shrapnelled to kingdom come.

@Rage Racer that's the Jumbo right? And there's two versions, no? One at 4.7 and the other at 6.0?
Jumbo is the unofficial name, but yes.
I mean the early one (at 4.7), because its armor is useful at this BR. The one with 76mm cannon gets punished by Tigers and Panthers badly.

P.S. The Lorraine 155 is mine. Finally, I'm done with this.
Now I have something to progress on the French tree with.
Qjd--uwOQUo.jpg

And the Pakwagen saved me on this stage (Ardennes) again. Had a fun moment when I blasted two M18 Hellcats alone head-on. :D
Got 3 kills on it and 3 more on Panther A. The Sd.Kfz.234/4 is useful even on much higher BRs than its own (3.0). If it becomes available to win again, you should get it. It was totally worth it.

My friends also helped me with "Fire support" achievements in a squad.

Nice work @Rage Racer. I have seen how useful the Sd.Kfz.234/4 has been, am gutted I missed it now! I'll keep my eyes out for it in the future through warbonds or these 'build your own' things they are running now. Bit harder for me being on PS4 and not having access to the marketplace.

I enjoy these events, just got mine. I missed the 10th one, so have just finished the 12th to pick up the french tank. This last one I finished within an hour and a half. Most of them take me closer to 5 hours over the 2 days. This one was 5 games, couldn't believe I smashed it out so quick.

There are now discounts for all Allies vehicles, including premium ones. I have 1164 GE and now debating between getting the French Yak-3 or paying a little more and buying the Australian tank (AC IV, in the British tree).

I like the Yaks, but I already have a French premium plane of Rank 3 - NC 900, a clone of Fw.190A-8. However, I’m not very lucky on it (I’m not so good at boom-zoom tactics, I prefer turn fighting). Too bad I missed the chance to buy the French Yak-9T...

Got the P-40E and the M4. P-40 has been... an experience :lol: The plane feels very floaty. It's not very confidence-inspiring.

As for the M4, nothing much to say about it.. it's another Sherman. Same as the M4A1; same armour and same penetration capabilities. Still don't quite get the BR jump, maybe I'm missing something.

I'll keep trudging onwards until I reach the P-47N.

P40 is very... very bad when stock lol. Upgraded is a whole different animal.

It's also where you start to really learn US side-climb and Boom and Zoom. The Allison engine just doesn't have enough power for level flight and then to pull up into loops/immelmans at medium/high alts.

Got the P-40E and the M4. P-40 has been... an experience :lol: The plane feels very floaty. It's not very confidence-inspiring.
The P-40 is a :censored:ing curse to the enemy in ground battles at BR 3-4. That's why I also bought the Soviet premium version.

As for the M4, nothing much to say about it.. it's another Sherman. Same as the M4A1; same armour and same penetration capabilities. Still don't quite get the BR jump, maybe I'm missing something.
The M4A1 has cast armor, which is weaker (0.95 coefficient is applied to the thickness).

Last edited:
Playing the WW2 Chronicles. On Skies of Berlin RB.

Got my first ever snipe with a Yak-9T. Off the cuff, cool snipe. I was so excited I was too busy typing in the chat with the player I had just killed to see a FW-190D come up my rear. Try to do a head-on fake but was too slow to roll.

Didn't matter though. The other player and I had a laugh about it. Was jamming to this afterwards:

Note: NSFW language.

In addition to what @Rage Racer said, the M4 does have greater armour. If you look on the stat card, they have the same thickness, but using the armour viewer, the armour angle is greater, thus thicker than the M4A1. There is more armour over the tank than the stat card suggests, also goes to explain the 6ton weight gain over the M4A1.

Do you guys know how I can bind the range zeroing to my keyboard? I'm on PS4 so it's telling me to find to an axis. I can assign a button, but I want to assign it to the L brackets.

What do you guys use?

Back