War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

When you fly a Yak-3 and shoot down 3 planes in one match... or down a jet (Ar.234)...
Soviet Air Force anthem intensifies.

Do you guys know how I can bind the range zeroing to my keyboard? I'm on PS4 so it's telling me to find to an axis. I can assign a button, but I want to assign it to the L brackets.

What do you guys use?
Range zeroing? You mean the tank's scope mark setup?

Got 4 kills in the P-40 after upgrading it. It is a worthy plane. Stock, this plane is crap :lol:

Flying out the P-400 so I have a worthy back up in Tank RB. I don't really like its armament setup but I'll get used to it. Managed to get a kill in it.. the controls become too stiff once you get under 280 km/h; almost as if there's no input at all. However a notable improvement is my ability to WEP for longer without worrying about overheating anything.

I had to burn my P-40 quite a lot during engagements

@Rage Racer Yes. I want to have the ability to set my scope at a certain range.

Last edited:
I use the scroll wheel on my mouse for that. I imagine you use it to control zoom? I use shift for full zoom and the mouse to adjust sight elevation since i really only ever use full zoom.

So, I finally decided which premium vehicle to take by the discount.
Vive la France... said a pilot of a Russian plane.

Yakovlev Yak-3 (French Air Force)
by RageRacer48, on Flickr

@Rage Racer Yes. I want to have the ability to set my scope at a certain range.
I don't use this feature at all. I use my eye to apply the distance correction. The adjusted sight can mislead you when your tank is tilted.

Scope ranging would be useful if you were playing on PC with community-made historical sights installed.

Also, I tried the marketplace. With the 8 gears I earned on the event, I crafted two decorator boxes. What I got from them were Lee-Enfield and Gewehr 41 rifles, that I already owned. So I sold them at the marketplace. And for the GJN recieved, I bought a skin for the T-34-85.

T-34-85 (Polish winter livery)

A historical winter livery of a tank from the Warsaw batallion.
Unlike user skins, this will be visible for everyone. However, when I loaded for the first time, my game crashed. So I worry for other players that will have to load it, too...

Last edited:
Decided to just do it manually. Been working just fine.

Also I need to start playing with some GTP members. At least I know y'all are competent. Tired of dealing with really stupid and incapable players.

Also battle mode is a joke. All game modes are, in fact. It's just a race to push the other team to their spawns and then spawn-camp. It's not fun for either side.

The "Kyuu-maru" - Mitsubishi Type 90 - is announced. A modern Japanese MBT.
https://warthunder.com/en/news/5499-development-type-90-the-lightweight-heavy-hitter-en
Another reason to contunue the Japanese tank tree.

Also battle mode is a joke. All game modes are, in fact. It's just a race to push the other team to their spawns and then spawn-camp. It's not fun for either side.
It is your team's fault when you let the enemy reach your spawn. That should not happen if your team plays properly, and it's not that easy for the enemy to break through. Plus, since the last patch, the enemies who are near your spawn are displayed on the minimap. And you have a handicap (invulnerability time) to take the campers down.

The "Kyuu-maru" - Mitsubishi Type 90 - is announced. A modern Japanese MBT.
https://warthunder.com/en/news/5499-development-type-90-the-lightweight-heavy-hitter-en
Another reason to contunue the Japanese tank tree.

It is your team's fault when you let the enemy reach your spawn. That should not happen if your team plays properly, and it's not that easy for the enemy to break through. Plus, since the last patch, the enemies who are near your spawn are displayed on the minimap. And you have a handicap (invulnerability time) to take the campers down.
Yup, but, as is often the case in games like this, everyone is playing their own game. In my experience, if people arent squaded up, they tend not to communicate or pay attention to communications. You might get one or two people that try to coordinate in chat, but typically they go ignored.

I find if you're the first to engage in some friendly banter, the entire team opens up and starts talking. I've had matches that were fun and hilarious; even got the enemy team in on the banter.

I've had a game where all I did was pull this Japanese tier 1 tank like a sled in my M8 because he flipped. I couldn't flip him over again so he just shot from underneath the map as we drove our tanks to the enemy spawn and, ultimately, Valhalla :lol:

EDIT

I'm gonna take a nice long break from this game. I'm done for the day.

It is so enticing and so easy to just say "HURR DURR RUSSIAN BIAS! EHHRR GERMAN BIAS!"

I just got assaulted by four BF-109s in my P-38. All I did was climb.. I wasn't hurting anybody I didn't provoke... :(

But for real, BF-109... bull:censored: plane to play against. He was flying level, 2 km above me... He dives, I slowly pitch up. He misses... He then pulls off a high G turn and is on my twin derrière in under 5 seconds.

At this point he's 1 km below me. I pitch up to force him to stall. Lo and behold, a kilometre above my damn face is the rest of the enemy team consisting mainly of BF-109s

giphy.gif

The BF-109 that's behind me, not only is pitching up higher than me, he's gaining. At no point did he stall. The team above me dives on me and let's just say what happened next is NSFW.

🤬 the BF-109.

Last edited:
🤬 the BF-109.
It's a good plane but it has weaknesses, too. It's not newbie-friendly.
It's less agile than Soviet fighters and tends to get tight to steer when diving at high speeds.

The Russian players, most often, complain about Spitfires being OP. They are both agile and fast, well-armed (20mm Hispanos rip everything that flies in front) and very hard to counter.

Also... after a short break from the game, I'm having fun with light vehicles with recon mechanics, like ASU-57 and the Japanese M24 (the American Chaffee is no different, but I'm working on the Japanese tree now).
Marking the targets should be helpful for the team... Should. The problem is, the team rarely gives a damn about the targets you mark.
In the last battle, I did 6 kills on a single M24 and marked some more targets, but my team still sucked like vacuum.

The ASU-57 is a troll machine. :D
I should take it to Rank 5 sometime (so it'll meet its historical rivals).

Ive recently gotten back into WT. Been playing japanese tanks, mainly the Ho-I and Chi-He as i grind for some rank IV tanks. Fairly stout tanks when angled, its got to be said. The heat rpubds in the Ho-I one shots most things in this BR as well, but i did struggle to take down a B1 ter. Heat was doing nothing, and I am not quite good enough to trap shots at distance. I had to disengage as other tanks started to take shots at me. As i took care of them the B1 moved up, forcing a little game of ring around the roses around a rock. I took advantage of my speed and was able to hit his cupola. Two rounds there and the B1 was down. Most fun Ive had the WT in a while.

The main reason to keep playing War Thunder. :D

"UNBELIEVABLE ricochets #9" (language warning)

edit: I got a T-54 ('47). It was reported to be OP a year ago, but now it's nerfed (BR raised to 7.7). But still decent. In the last match, I could do a lot more than 2 kills if I had the fire extingusher (a Leopard set me on fire). But I haven't unlocked it yet. :ouch:

Last edited:
So they have announced two Tier V premium tanks. Both prototypes of the M1 Abrams (one by GM, one by Chrysler).

The GM one will be available on PS4/PC.

The Chrysler one will be an Xbox exclusive.

The GM version is incredibly fast. RIP realistic battles at 9.0 BR. You won't need to research the Abrams if you can just buy it now.

Another announce (a premium Rank V tank) is Centurion AVRE, a British engineer tank with 165 mm demolition gun.
5gup84lRz-c.jpg

- We need a British tier V premium.
- Tier V?
- Tier V.
*scrolling the Sekrit Documents*
- There are early Chieftains, Sho't Kals... would look good among other premiums.
*a photo falls out of the folder*
- What is it?
- Ah, this is Centurion AVRE, doesn't suit well for our game, a combat engineer vehicle. 165 mm cannon, HESH shells for destroying fortifications and stuff like this...
- It has a bulldozer blade!
- Yes. I said, it's an enginee...
- That's all, it has a blade, INTO THE GAME, NOW!
- But... it doesn't even have a stabilizer!
- Then make the version with explosive reactive armor!
- But...
- BLADE!!!

That Centurion actually looks quite menacing.

In other words, I’m assuming that the Xbox version is nearing completion (considering they already announced a premium for it). This means I can get back into WT, but I don’t then I’ll have my progress. I believe crossplay between Xbox/PC is a thing though. Who here still plays regularly?

I play fairly regularly on the PC. I tried the ps4 version but didnt like the joysticks for controls and setting up a keyboars mouse everytime and finding a surface to use them on was to much of a hassle.
Are they planning on making all three cross platform?

Look at the gun. And imagine its ballistics. It will be useless on maps with large open areas. I wonder what the reload time will be like.
Being a more modern tank, I hope that it wont be much more than 7-10 seconds, but, chances are at least 20 seconds i imagine. That said, ive seen Phly and Slick throw down some distance shots with the Brummbar and the KV-2. Long range clearly wont be its forte as round velocity and accuracy will likely be crap, but i wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of that round no matter the distance.

I play fairly regularly on the PC. I tried the ps4 version but didnt like the joysticks for controls and setting up a keyboars mouse everytime and finding a surface to use them on was to much of a hassle.
Are they planning on making all three cross platform?

I will say, having the DS4 on all the time is a bit of a hassle. Many times my DS4 would turn off mid fight resulting in no throttle input.

My plane would revert to idle during a crucial loop where it needed to WEP a little more to do the manoeuvre. Or my tank would just keep going in a direction, usually into a house or tree, because cruise control has been enabled and it does not recognize any steering input.

Being a more modern tank, I hope that it wont be much more than 7-10 seconds, but, chances are at least 20 seconds i imagine. That said, ive seen Phly and Slick throw down some distance shots with the Brummbar and the KV-2. Long range clearly wont be its forte as round velocity and accuracy will likely be crap, but i wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of that round no matter the distance.
The Centurion is a late '40s era tank, and this cannon (Royal Ordnance L9) was also used on Churchill VII AVRE just after the WW2. It's reloaded by a human loader (not an autoloading system like on T-64 or MBT-70). So, there's no major progress. I'd give it similar rate of fire to the Brummbar or ISU-152. However, the reload time is a balance-affected stat in WT. So, it's up to the devs to decide.

But, 40 lb of C4 in one shell is no joke. So when it hits, it should hurt.

I feel like being cannon fodder tonight...should it ever finish with updates. I'm not very good, but thankfully that's not a mood-killer for me with this, and it makes getting shots on someone that much more enjoyable.

The P-47s will lose the air spawn in 1.79 update. There's still some time left to take advantage of it.
DONALD TRUMP REMOVED AIR SPAWN OF P-47
SUICIDE RATE DROPPED TO ZERO | SALES OF XM-1 MAKE AMERI...
GNBM9GPwk8o.jpg

Hi there. I’ve been thinking about downloading War Thunder for my PS4, but I have some questions:

1: How steep is the learning curve for beginners? I love flying in games, but have yet to learn dogfighting maneuvers.
2: How much grinding is involved to unlock new aircraft or upgrades?
3: Do you have to purchase aircraft or are they unlocked at certain levels?
4: If I purchase a fighter from one country, will I get an equivalent if I can’t use it in a match? Let’s say I bought a P-51. If I’m placed on the German team, will I get something of that level for the match if I can’t use my purchased plane?
5: Can I make my own skins for aircraft on the PS4 version?
6: I’ve heard that repairing and re-arming aircraft can be expensive, and getting shot down is even more costly. How much money can I expect to lose per match?

Dan
Hi there. I’ve been thinking about downloading War Thunder for my PS4, but I have some questions:

1: How steep is the learning curve for beginners? I love flying in games, but have yet to learn dogfighting maneuvers.
2: How much grinding is involved to unlock new aircraft or upgrades?
3: Do you have to purchase aircraft or are they unlocked at certain levels?
4: If I purchase a fighter from one country, will I get an equivalent if I can’t use it in a match? Let’s say I bought a P-51. If I’m placed on the German team, will I get something of that level for the match if I can’t use my purchased plane?
5: Can I make my own skins for aircraft on the PS4 version?
6: I’ve heard that repairing and re-arming aircraft can be expensive, and getting shot down is even more costly. How much money can I expect to lose per match?
1: There are three battle modes: Arcade, Realistic and Simulator. In Arcade, you have an "instructor" that prevents you from stalling, you can maneuver however you want without damaging your plane, your engine won't overheat, you resupply your ammo in the air when you run out, you have aiming reticle enabled on the enemies, so this is the most newbie-friendly mode. In Realistic battles, the instructor is still there, but the flight and damage models are more realistic. Your aircraft can be ruined by flatter if you dive too fast, sometimes it may be damaged by turning too tightly at high speeds (today I tried to turn onto an enemy when diving on my Ki-200 and broke my wing :banghead:), your engine will overheat if you abuse the WEP, the ammo can be reloaded on the airfield (or carrier) only, no reticle on the enemies to aim, and so on. And in Simulator battles, there's no instructor, stalling works, no markers on the enemies, cockpit view is the only available, and it's recommended to play with proper flightsim equipment. I prefer Realistic mode, it's the most fun IMO. But I recommend to begin in Arcade. Generally, WT has complicated mechanics but it's actually easy to learn.

2: I'd say, the leveling in WT is better than in Wargaming projects (World of Tanks/Warplanes/Warships), but slower than in Armored Warfare (or so I feel). You can unlock the Rank 2 (P-40, P-39, F4F, A-20G, B-34 etc. in the USA tech tree) pretty quickly, maybe in the first day of playing, but reaching the jets (Rank 5) will be much longer.

3: Both. The system is generally similar to the WG games - each nation has a tech tree that you progress on, you have to research a vehicle then buy it for Silver Lions (the in-game currency earned in battles) and pay for training a crew for it. But it's also different in a good way. You can skip a vehicle you don't like and research the next one on the other vehicles of this nation. For example, you purchased the P-51 (early model) and you want a P-47D that goes next in the branch, but you didn't like the P-51. Then you can research the P-47 by playing on F6F-5, F4U-1, SB2C, and more. But if you play on the P-51, you'll unlock the P-47D 10% quicker.
There are also premium vehicles that don't need to be researched/unlocked but they're available for Gold Eagles (currency normally bought for real money) or in packs from Gaijin Store, or as event rewards (like my NC.900).

4: In Arcade battles, there'll be no "German team": both teams will be mixed, consisting of planes from various nations. In RB and SB, where teams are matched as different nations, you will not play for Germany on American aircraft (unless you use a German captured P-47D, which is premium).

5: No. Custom skins can only be used on PC (AFAIK) and they're not visible to other players.
But you can customize your plane using in-game decals (up to 2 or 4 with premium account). Here, I made an approximate replica of Ivan Kozhedub's La-7:

Lavochkin La-7

And this - Brazilian roundels on my B-25J:

North American B-25J-20 Mitchell

Some planes have additional liveries that can be unlocked or bought for GE.
This is a Polish livery on my Il-10 I got after playing a lot on it:

Ilyushin IL-10 (Polish Air Force)

6: The repairs are expensive for jets and some late Japanese aircraft, like A7M2 and Ki-84, because they have high win rate. But there is "free repair" feature, not all players know about it. If you turn off the auto-repair and leave your damaged vehicle with a crew, it will gradually repair for free, while you don't play the game. This can save a lot of SL if used regularly.
But it's not quick for a new player to reach these planes so you don't need to worry about it yet. :P

Re-arming isn't expensive at all. Except, perhaps, some Ju.87 or Pe-2 with heavy bombs but even they won't eat your Lions too fast.

Last edited:
1: There are three battle modes: Arcade, Realistic and Simulator. In Arcade, you have an "instructor" that prevents you from stalling, you can maneuver however you want without damaging your plane, your engine won't overheat, you resupply your ammo in the air when you run out, you have aiming reticle enabled on the enemies, so this is the most newbie-friendly mode. In Realistic battles, the instructor is still there, but the flight and damage models are more realistic. Your aircraft can be ruined by flatter if you dive too fast, sometimes it may be damaged by turning too tightly at high speeds (today I tried to turn onto an enemy when diving on my Ki-200 and broke my wing :banghead:), your engine will overheat if you abuse the WEP, the ammo can be reloaded on the airfield (or carrier) only, no reticle on the enemies to aim, and so on. And in Simulator battles, there's no instructor, stalling works, no markers on the enemies, cockpit view is the only available, and it's recommended to play with proper flightsim equipment. I prefer Realistic mode, it's the most fun IMO. But I recommend to begin in Arcade. Generally, WT has complicated mechanics but it's actually easy to learn.

2: I'd say, the leveling in WT is better than in Wargaming projects (World of Tanks/Warplanes/Warships), but slower than in Armored Warfare (or so I feel). You can unlock the Rank 2 (P-40, P-39, F4F, A-20G, B-34 etc. in the USA tech tree) pretty quickly, maybe in the first day of playing, but reaching the jets (Rank 5) will be much longer.

3: Both. The system is generally similar to the WG games - each nation has a tech tree that you progress on, you have to research a vehicle then buy it for Silver Lions (the in-game currency earned in battles) and pay for training a crew for it. But it's also different in a good way. You can skip a vehicle you don't like and research the next one on the other vehicles of this nation. For example, you purchased the P-51 (early model) and you want a P-47D that goes next in the branch, but you didn't like the P-51. Then you can research the P-47 by playing on F6F-5, F4U-1, SB2C, and more. But you play on the P-51, you'll unlock the P-47D 10% quicker.
There are also premium vehicles that don't need to be researched/unlocked but they're available for Gold Eagles (currency normally bought for real money) or in packs from Gaijin Store, or as event rewards (like my NC.900).

4: In Arcade battles, there'll be no "German team": both teams will be mixed, consisting of planes from various nations. In RB and SB, where teams are matched as different nations, you will not play for Germany on American aircraft (unless you use a German captured P-47D, which is premium).

5: No. Custom skins can only be used on PC (AFAIK) and they're not visible to other players.
But you can customize your plane using in-game decals (up to 2 or 4 with premium account). Here, I made an approximate replica of Ivan Kozhedub's La-7:

Lavochkin La-7

And this - Brazilian roundels on my B-25J:

North American B-25J-20 Mitchell

Some planes have additional liveries that can be unlocked or bought for GE.
This is a Polish livery on my Il-10 I got after playing a lot on it:

Ilyushin IL-10 (Polish Air Force)

6: The repairs are expensive for jets and some late Japanese aircraft, like A7M2 and Ki-84, because they have high win rate. But there is "free repair" feature, not all players know about it. If you turn off the auto-repair and leave your damaged vehicle with a crew, it will gradually repair for free, while you don't play the game. This can save a lot of SL if used regularly.
But it's not quick for a new player to reach these planes so you don't need to worry about it yet. :P

Re-arming isn't expensive at all. Except, perhaps, some Ju.87 or Pe-2 with heavy bombs but even they won't eat your Lions too fast.

First off, thank you for your detailed answer! Second, can Golden Eagles be earned through gameplay or are they solely a purchased item? Third, are there any planes that should be avoided by new players? Finally, what are the most important things that I need to know/what do you wish you knew before playing?

There is one thing that irritates me about this game, and that's how often my pilot gets killed with a perfectly good plane versus me having to spend 2000 rounds and maybe damaging something vital eventually. 3/4 of my deaths be enemy are just straight 'Pilot knocked out', meanwhile I'm peppering people and no one goes down a smidge...My carp luck I'm guessing.

Dan
Second, can Golden Eagles be earned through gameplay or are they solely a purchased item?
Technically, they can. But it's a rare opportunity.
You can also win some GE using the "golden battle" wagers. Two years ago, they were dropping as a random daily log-in prize (every 14 consecutive days) quite often. But now, you're much more likely to get a free "test drive" (a premium vehicle given to you for a short period of time, 1 to 24 hours AFAIK) than a golden wager.

And, GE can be acquired through promo codes (that are won in contests in the official communities on social media, etc), but that's normally for PC players.
For example, you can win GE by winning in Thunder Show (sending your video to be featured in an episode).

There are also bonus codes for WT that come with some gaming hardware (headsets, MSI laptops, etc) or some other goods.
And an Android app for farming a little amount of eagles by watching ads.

Dan
Third, are there any planes that should be avoided by new players?
There may be, but I can't remember anything exact.
Generally, the American planes are most newbie-friendly with their .50 cal Brownings with good accuracy and ballistics - simply push before the enemy is done. The Germans require some skill, especially the Fw.190 series. And if you start playing Realistic battles, keep in mind that Soviet and Japanese (and some French) fighters have low ammo capacity so you can't be too trigger happy.

Dan
Finally, what are the most important things that I need to know/what do you wish you knew before playing?
First, set the controls properly for your own comfort. The default ones are far from perfect. Especially on PS4, I heard. I play on PC so I can't help you here but there should be some guides on YouTube (or other sources) about setting the controls on PS4.

Second, the HUD settings. You might want to enable the ammo counter (so you'll always see the remaining ammo) and change the ground speed to IAS (useful in RB to avoid being destroyed by flatter).

Third, the crews. Their training and mechanics. Kinda long to explain, but I think you'll understand it yourself when you start playing (or again, you might try looking for some guides).

Latest Posts

Back