War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Wow, those tanks look a lot better than I'd been expecting. I can't wait to see how it'll play with air, land and sea all in play at once, even if I do suck at actually playing the game...

Had my hands off WT for a long time, thanks GTA V and the news of GT6. :D
The commentary is in Russian but some great tank gameplay here. Also shows a bit of plane and tank interaction.

It's a video from the IgroMir 2013 game show in Moscow.
I've visited that show, and there was a big Gaijin Entertainment area, and they were showing the PS4 version, but I almost didn't watch anything - I was busy with the GT6 demo.

Good to see the tank trees, I'm glad of the fact that there are no prototypes, experimental tanks or other 'wunderwaffe' that WoT is full of.
KV-2, hell yeah! :dopey: I'll beat the **** out of anyone with that 152mm howitzer. :mischievous:

I'm looking into getting into a Free MMO, I usually like to play rpgs (never played one online before) and this was in a list of the top 20. So since my winter break is coming up from the University, can someone clue me in on how good this game is and what I might need to play it to have a good immersed experience (e.g. joystick)

Wasn't playing this for more than a month, but today, I made a comeback - took down three enemy birds in an Arcade battle. Didn't unlearn flying completely :sly:

...and comparatively slow turret rotation speed, I bet :sly:
In WoT, turret rotation speed wasn't the biggest problem.
Accuracy and the reload time were. First - BOOM!, then - HIDE!, and don't show up within 22 seconds. And before that - 'FFFUUU-' if you miss. :D

So since my winter break is coming up from the University, can someone clue me in on how good this game is and what I might need to play it to have a good immersed experience (e.g. joystick)
I recommend you getting a joystick. I use a 'mouse joystick' controlling mode and it's not very comfortable for engaging in air combat. But it's still more realistic than the default 'mouse aiming' mode and makes it easier to land.
Joystick control would be perfect. I'm planning to buy one myself with my next paycheck.

In WoT, turret rotation speed wasn't the biggest problem.
Accuracy and the reload time were. First - BOOM!, then - HIDE!, and don't show up within 22 seconds. And before that - 'FFFUUU-' if you miss. :D
I saw an English commentary of the Gaijn tanks gameplay where the commentator noted during the IL-2 tank bombing bit that not all enemy targets would automatically be flagged, you needed to spot them yourself from reasonably close range. I remember that from BoS online and it was a good feature. Interesting to see if that applies to tank vs tank also.

I suppose it'll be a case of weighing up the various vehicles' characteristics, just like in reality. I shall definitely be getting this when we score ourselves a PS4.

I saw an En glish commentary of the Gaijn tanks gameplay where the commentator noted during the IL-2 tank bombing bit that not all enemy targets would automatically be flagged, you needed to spot them yourself from reasonably close range. I remember that from BoS online and it was a good feature. Interesting to see if that applies to tank vs tank also.
Sure thing, WoT is the same thing.

Also, I didn't watch that GE's stream video completely, but I guess that what you could think is "IL-2 bombing" and "tank & plane intarction" is actually an artillery fire (when the tank player has a camera with a far view and a crosshairs on the groud looking like a plane's arcade bomb sight). The commentator said so, and he was pointing the artillery from his tank.

Yeah, I saw the artillery support mode bit - the thing I mentioned though was actually an IL-2 (or an IL-10) scouting the terrain and chasing down a few enemy tanks trying to sneak up on the capture point. The vid was a compilation, about 26 minutes long and this was about 14 mins into it. I'll go and find the link and add it here shortly.

EDIT:

I recommend you getting a joystick. I use a 'mouse joystick' controlling mode and it's not very comfortable for engaging in air combat. But it's still more realistic than the default 'mouse aiming' mode and makes it easier to land.
Joystick control would be perfect. I'm planning to buy one myself with my next paycheck.

Thanks, this, world of tanks, SWTOR and a couple other mmo type games for free are what I've been looking into.

A friend of mine told me to install the beta, and I've got to say that I wasn't very tempted to do it! I had seen lots of ads no Facebook about this game, so I thought this was a major farmville-like game on Facebook! But I was really wrong! I have IL2: Birds Of Prey and it was great fun, and I just started to play this one, and they're quite close in terms of physics! I'll be trying this thing out for a couple of days!

By the way, I have a major problem in the menus with the written stuff, the words are all strange, it must be something with the graphic options, but still, anyone else noticed or had a similar problem?

Got the game a few days ago. And, damn, it's properly awesome! Don't even remember how I got to know about it. Or rather, why I never got around to playing it earlier, given that I'm quite in love with aircrafts from the World War II era. Just being slow, I suppose.

Either way, I started out recently, loved the game a lot, bought the Steam Pack for twenty bucks because I thought the devs earned themselves a good bit of support. Right now, I'm using mustly American aircraft, working my way up through the tiers. Really looking forward to some of the more iconic planes. Mostly the F4U-1C, being a bit of a corsair fanboy and all. Still got a lot to learn, however.

Also managed to talk quite a few of my friends into playing War Thunder with me. We're forming a bit of a squad, right now 👍 So much more fun than most other F2P games I've played in the past... And so much better looking, to boot.

Yeah, it's a mystery to me why Gaijin went the F2P route - their games are very atmospheric and I hope they include some of the iconic maps from the past games, especially the Korsun and Ardennes maps as well as Dover (which pretty much includes all of Kent.)

Getting the game on Friday :)

Yeah, it's a mystery to me why Gaijin went the F2P route - their games are very atmospheric and I hope they include some of the iconic maps from the past games, especially the Korsun and Ardennes maps as well as Dover (which pretty much includes all of Kent.)

Getting the game on Friday :)
Yeh they have included those maps.
The reason they went F2P is because money. They turned a niche game into one that 5 million people play.

Yeh they have included those maps.
The reason they went F2P is because money. They turned a niche game into one that 5 million people play.
That would make sense :)

Thanks for the map confirmation - I guessed they probably would have.

I am guessing you play arcade then? Match making for the more realistic modes can take an age sometimes.

I really want to get a ps4 to play this. Then I can stop using this awful input method known as my mouse.

I am guessing you play arcade then? Match making for the more realistic modes can take an age sometimes.

I really want to get a ps4 to play this. Then I can stop using this awful input method known as my mouse.
Not sure how true this is, but I did see a whinge over on the PS forums from someone on a PS4 saying that the menus were like thay'd been ported from the PC version and so not suited to the PS4. The relpies jokingly suggested he connect a mouse to his console.

Fingers crossed, I'll have a PS4 today and so will be dabbling with WT later (after sleep, I'm just back from night shift) so I can let you know either way.

The touchpad on the DS4 acts as a trackpad, so is basically a very unintuitive PC-like menu with a cursor on it.

That said, I'm yet to see historical battles, and the structure is a bit different from PC. However it plays better and it feels better than PC.

The touchpad on the DS4 acts as a trackpad, so is basically a very unintuitive PC-like menu with a cursor on it.

That said, I'm yet to see historical battles, and the structure is a bit different from PC. However it plays better and it feels better than PC.
I played it today for the first time. I only played four matches but it was quite a lot of fun. The one thing I don't understand really is the relationship of research to buying planes. I only have the freebies for two countries at the moment and a Blenheim which is being researched. I'm sure I'll work it out, but it seems a bit odd just now.

Flight feels very different from BoS and BoP with the cursor method, but it does work quite well. I also had a game crash, yet it remembered and credited me with my kills and reward - now that's a big bonus over the previous games :)

Got it sorted with regard to my question - research is so that you can unlock and then buy the majority of planes in the game for free. There are just a few that are purchaseable only. You also unlock the single missions and Dynamic campaigns from BoS as you progress - so you can play those in SP or MP form. In effect, you are getting BoS in a more smooth and exciting form, for free and with new maps added. I think the microtransactions (most of which aren't so micro...:sly:) are there for the impatient. In other words, it doesn't feel like a rip-off model and I'm having heaps of fun.

So far I've unlocked all countries (giving me two free aircraft per nation) and have just bought me a Blenheim IV after thirty missions - so I can now go bomb those enemy airfields 👍 instead of just being limited to strafing runs in a biplane :mischievous:

Is anyone not getting any Eagles awarded at the moment. I seem to be earning them but they don't show up after the matches...

Back