War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

With P-39.. well, depending of the oppinent, both BnZ and dogfighting works. From further away (400m) I'd use the machine guns, and up close the 37mm cannon. Although, with P-39, I usually go for ground targets..

That might be the quickest I've seen a fire go out on a plane.. ever. Hit a MiG-3 with shots from my P-39 which set it on fire, in the brief moment I looked away to set up for another BnZ, when I looked back to gauge where I needed to position myself, the fire had gone out.

That might be the quickest I've seen a fire go out on a plane.. ever. Hit a MiG-3 with shots from my P-39 which set it on fire, in the brief moment I looked away to set up for another BnZ, when I looked back to gauge where I needed to position myself, the fire had gone out.

That's the impervious Stalinwood for you.

I've just now started to get into the air battles now after tanking for a good while. I'm thinking I'll do the americans and the fighter category. The only thing I notice right now is that when you get say 200 +/- feet to the ground, it's as if all power is lost and the ground pulls you in. Every time this happens with me and the P40, I don't get it...

I've just now started to get into the air battles now after tanking for a good while. I'm thinking I'll do the americans and the fighter category. The only thing I notice right now is that when you get say 200 +/- feet to the ground, it's as if all power is lost and the ground pulls you in. Every time this happens with me and the P40, I don't get it...
How fast are you going?

How fast are you going?
I started the dive at about 3,000 feet to strafe a strip of artillery bunkers, going down at around 250, 25% throttle or less, and speed was climbing to about 280-300 (MPH) or near to that range. I don't directly dive, it's more of a 45 degree angle and about 500 feet down from the first bunker, so I have more time to set up for the next bunkers. After I punch the first one I'm at about 1,800 feet, still within 280 by twenty over or under, and able to get the second one. For the last one though, that's where the problem comes in. I'm doing only about a 10-25 degree pitch down, and that kills speed with no throttle, and it drops near to 180 (at least below 200). Now I'm anywhere below 500 feet, most of the time 300 feet. Then after hitting the third bunk I pull up, still at 180 or so, and nothing happens. It's essentially stalling, but I don't pull back hard enough to induce that to happen.

The only reason I think it stalls is that it's not a very agile aircraft, and then the wings feel light and the weight goes to the tail, and that's when I drop. I'm always checking my instruments (no different than I do when I'm flying a real plane) at least every three seconds before dive, and then after I strafe a bunker I check again, probably once every second when I use the 12.7 mm with the ground selected rounds.

It happens every single time I go sub 500 feet. With the P36, it never happens. Hell, I even fly with the wings vertical through the trees to clear my tail off, but the P40 won't ever be able to do that..

I started the dive at about 3,000 feet to strafe a strip of artillery bunkers, going down at around 250, 25% throttle or less, and speed was climbing to about 280-300 (MPH) or near to that range. I don't directly dive, it's more of a 45 degree angle and about 500 feet down from the first bunker, so I have more time to set up for the next bunkers. After I punch the first one I'm at about 1,800 feet, still within 280 by twenty over or under, and able to get the second one. For the last one though, that's where the problem comes in. I'm doing only about a 10-25 degree pitch down, and that kills speed with no throttle, and it drops near to 180 (at least below 200). Now I'm anywhere below 500 feet, most of the time 300 feet. Then after hitting the third bunk I pull up, still at 180 or so, and nothing happens. It's essentially stalling, but I don't pull back hard enough to induce that to happen.

The only reason I think it stalls is that it's not a very agile aircraft, and then the wings feel light and the weight goes to the tail, and that's when I drop. I'm always checking my instruments (no different than I do when I'm flying a real plane) at least every three seconds before dive, and then after I strafe a bunker I check again, probably once every second when I use the 12.7 mm with the ground selected rounds.

It happens every single time I go sub 500 feet. With the P36, it never happens. Hell, I even fly with the wings vertical through the trees to clear my tail off, but the P40 won't ever be able to do that..
You are going at 180 with 0% throttle? That will be why.

You are going at 180 with 0% throttle? That will be why.
Well, I'm going 180 down before 0 degree pitch, after I pull back I set throttle to WEP, and at least a 10 degree pitch to climb out. But when it doesn't climb after a few seconds I pull back even more, and that's when I crash (duh).

The problem is that speed isn't increasing, but I'm still dropping. It happens so far with the P40, and both P36's. Not sure of others.

Well, I'm going 180 down before 0 degree pitch, after I pull back I set throttle to WEP, and at least a 10 degree pitch to climb out. But when it doesn't climb after a few seconds I pull back even more, and that's when I crash (duh).

The problem is that speed isn't increasing, but I'm still dropping. It happens so far with the P40, and both P36's. Not sure of others.
The p40 doesn't have that much lift for it's weight. If you ever played the pearl harbour event and tried turning to bomber group b on take off you will realise.

Alright... maybe Monday night (next time I'll be on my laptop again) I'll try it out at speed. I just don't like diving down more than one time, as then I risk being a target that other will clearly see diving and climbing..

So uh... Tried the p40 (at grandparents for a while) again and it still happens even all the way down with WEP.. I pulled up plenty high enough, at least 700 feet from the ground, and it still sucks me down, and can't get any speed..

Yeah, normally I try to find spots where I can see the entire map but close enough to knock out all tanks with one shot. The towns are hard though. No rotating turret, and forever traverse rates.

Berlin is only good for tank destroyers if you spawn on the south side of the area. There's an elevated spot where you can see all the way across the map with the only blind spots being the trench running through the middle of the map.

Poland you can stay out in the fields on either side of the town although you lose a lot of visible space due to the town.

Eastern Europe is more difficult, although moving up the higher elevation on the north side of the map is a possibility. Lots of visibility on almost the entire map there. Though except for one mode layout, you're pretty far away from the main battle.

So yeah, just got back in the P40, and started to tail someone, leads me to the ground, and wham, I loose all lift, and it's like the ground reached up and pulled me straight down...

So yeah, just got back in the P40, and started to tail someone, leads me to the ground, and wham, I loose all lift, and it's like the ground reached up and pulled me straight down...
Just did a test flight. Went within about 50m of the ground and nothing happened. I could pull up normally.

My speed was 300mph and 100% throttle.

I'll test fly the P40 later when I get the opportunity to do so.

Now... the A36 Apache on the other hand... that plane isn't that great either. Can't keep level flight when stock.

I just took it out for a test flight, used various control settings and couldn't replicate what you've explained, even with no improved modules on the plane.

Latest Posts

Back