War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Can someone please explain to me how this works? There seems to be 8 million types of currency in the game and the menu's are impossible to navigate, help!

I'm playing on PS4

Can someone please explain to me how this works? There seems to be 8 million types of currency in the game and the menu's are impossible to navigate, help!

I'm playing on PS4

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/forum/424-faq-and-useful-topics/ I found these useful., especially the video guides - gives a peek ahead at what the current ground forces closed beta is like too. Okay, those are PC instruction vids but the principle is the same.

I am currently loving the N1K Shiden from the Japanese tier. I knew it was a good plane before so I put all my effort into the Japanese tier to get this 1 plane. In my opinion only jets beat it.

And I haven't paid a single penny yet. Just spent 3 quarters of a year trying to get it.

Last edited:
Good work. I have been distracted by Borderlands 2 and GT6 for the past four months but intend to get back in there next week.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has managed to do something to the controls on the PS4 that will allow barrel-rolls and loop-the-loop - it keeps automatically righting me whenever I attempt these moves. It's also a pain as I'd like to do the flying upside down mission, but can't because of this.

I mean, there is probably a way via the control layout to disable that function, but try as I might, I just can't seem to find it. Any help therefore will be much appreciated.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has managed to do something to the controls on the PS4 that will allow barrel-rolls and loop-the-loop - it keeps automatically righting me whenever I attempt these moves. It's also a pain as I'd like to do the flying upside down mission, but can't because of this.

I mean, there is probably a way via the control layout to disable that function, but try as I might, I just can't seem to find it. Any help therefore will be much appreciated.
There should be an option in the controls saying instructor. Uncheck it.

Excellent - thanks for that.
I actually couldn't find an option to turn off the Instructor on PS4 (the menu options are limited compared to the PC version), but I did go for the simulator layout controller scheme, which is more akin to what I used in BoS and BoP and it has taken the' Instructor' tag from the HUD.

I'll be experimenting a bit further today.

Am I the only one here who plays with all nations?
Takes a very long time to level them all up though.

No. Depending on the event that day I switch. I just focus on Japan. I haven't shown much love for the Russians or Americans though so it is more a cycle through UK, Germany and Japan.

Which difficulty does everyone play? I mostly play realistic once known as historical battles.

Last edited:
I switch around all of the time, though I'll need to start focusing on the German planes as I haven't progressed very far with them.

As for difficulty, I'll probably be moving up to realistic shortly as Arcade is exactly what it says on the tin.

Am I the only one here who plays with all nations?
I play all the nations; recently just begun Germans, rank 1-3 for other four... :P

Which difficulty does everyone play? I mostly play realistic once known as historical battles.
I play most arcade with a tad of realistic, which seems to be what most people do (progression from arcade to realistic). I've brought with me some bad habits though...

I'm planning on buying the Soviet P-39-K-1 (1000GE, BR 3.3) Soon™ and I want to know your opinions on this plane. Just opinions, no suggestions for other planes, please? Thanks! :)

I mostly play arcade, as it's just some quick fun.
Do the realistic battles pay out more ?

I mostly play arcade, as it's just some quick fun.
Do the realistic battles pay out more ?
I found it purely depends on how you do. If you last the match then generally yes. If you get shot down without a kill to your name then you can actually lose money from what I have seen due to the repair costs. That might be because my N1K is expensive to repair though.

This game can be so beautiful at times.

1978311_10202625905040186_7252070695392906519_o.jpg

This game can be so beautiful at times.
It can indeed. It was what attacted me to the earlier titles. It'll probably reach a new level of wow with the land forces update. I hope that comes to the PS4 soon - maybe by the full release in the summer.

1.39 is out!

Major additions
  • New aircraft and missions
  • Squadron battles in Events mode, squadron duel rating
  • Players’ rating (“ladder”)
  • User generated content support
  • Progression system has been adjusted: new aircraft of the same rank take less time to unlock
  • “Schräge Musik” available
  • Separate fire control for the weapons of different calibres
  • Significant improvements for AI behaviour
Player stats and leaderboards will be reset to zero when the update comes out, but your stats will be restored in the next few days.
Ground Forces events for the CBT players will become available shortly after the update is released.
New planes

Great Britain

• Spitfire F Mk 24 (flight model not finished yet);
  • Spitfire F Mk.22 (flight model not finished yet);
  • Mosquito Mk.XVII;
  • Avenger Mk.I

USSR

• La-15;
  • I-16 type 24;
  • I-16 type 27;
  • La-174 (special, available for a limited time);
  • Spitfire Mk. IX (special, premium, available for a limited time)

USA

• Lockheed F-80A Shooting Star;
  • North American F-82 Twin Mustang
  • Republic F-84 Thunderjet;
  • F4U-1A USMC;

Germany

• Fw.190A-1;
  • MiG-15bis of GDR;
  • Canadair CL-13A Sabre Mk.5 of Luftwaffe;
  • Me.262C-1a
  • Do.217N-2;

Japan

• F-86 F-30 of the Japanese Self-Defence forces;
  • A6M2 mod.11

Gameplay

• Squadron events and duel rating of the squadrons (calculated by the ELO system in the squadron battles in the Events mode) - preliminary version for the future Squadron Battles
  • Separate fire control for different calibres on the planes. From now on a player can adjust separate controls for MGs and cannons with different calibres, as well as for gun pods on German fighters
  • PvP player rating added (“ladder”) based on Silver Lions earned in battles.
  • Dynamic campaign available for a squad (temporarily not limited to premium account)
  • Record tables significantly reworked - the data should be the same as in profile (leader boards will be updated every day)
Many of AI improvements

• Bots use FM similar to one of the player - both on undamaged and damaged aircraft
  • After attacking ground targets bots can switch to players
  • Bots do not go to the end of the map while chasing one another
  • Bots use more correct torpedo attacks
  • Bots evade air collisions more correctly
  • Modifications’ effect on aircraft performance in Arcade Battles is fixed.
  • F4F-3 and F4F-4 moved to rank 2

Economics and progression system

• Research system and speed to unlock new planes has been changed: to unlock ranks 2, 3, 4 and 5 player has to unlock 6 planes, but RP needed to unlock a new aircraft for ranks 2, 3, 4 and first aircraft of rank 5 is decreased by 25% or more. That means that all planes can be unlocked 25% faster.
  • Costs for purchasing all aircraft modifications with Golden Eagles reduced by 5-10%
  • RP conversion costs to research planes and modifications reduced by 12.5%
  • Rewards for hits and kills reworked (in general they became higher); repair costs (in general) became lower.
  • Battle rating adjusted for several planes for better balance.
  • BR for US P-63A-10 set to 4.7
See details in the Dev blog

Interface

• Significantly accelerated display of the map and the statistic screen in the battle
  • The vehicle screen is reworked (repair/modifications/crew)
  • Slightly changed the controls options interface (reset of the control theme to default and selection of the control presets now merged with option helper)
  • You now can see player squads during the battle in the statistic screen
  • Fixed the queue display in the events
  • Added graphics options in the in-game options
  • Gained RP display is fixed
  • Performance characteristics displayed in game menu updated for certain planes
  • Internet radio available from game menu
  • Game menu fonts improved

Graphics and models

• Significantly optimized render on processors with 2 or less cores
  • Improved and accelerated grass rendering
  • Improved and optimized particle rendering
  • Improved and optimized rendering of the landscape on Dx9/Dx11
  • Improved OPENGL render
  • Accelerated water rendering
  • Accelerated cloud rendering in Dx11 (now not slower than in Dx9)
  • New images for loading screens added

Sound

• Several errors fixed:
  • Multichannel mode fixed;
  • Sound when engine stops for Messerschmitt aircraft is synchronized with animation
  • Sound added for Mollins M 57mm cannon
  • New engine sound for Lancaster Mk.III

DM changes

• Engine DM fixed for A5M4, F1M2, Fiat Cr.42, Gladiator Mk.II, He.51 (all modifications), I-15 (all modifications), Nimrod Mk.I, Fury (all modifications), P-26 Peashooter (all modifications);
  • Several fire outbreaks that would not go out at high speed fixed
  • Correct DM for all new aircraft of the update
  • Using flaps at high speed will tear them off
  • DM fixed for Ki-102 and Ki-96;
  • DM fixed for La-7 and La-7B-20;
  • DM fixed for Hs.129B-2, Hs.129B-3;
  • DM fixed for He.162A-2 flaps;
  • Change in ammo rack or controlling wing guns when wing is torn off depends on where the ammo rack is situated, where guns are situated and where the wing was cut off.

FM changes

• Error with incorrect trimmer position at respawn fixed
  • Control stiffening with mouse aim control fixed
  • Control stiffening with joystick control changed - effective joystick movement range when controls are stiffened is increased

USA

• F8F-1 - completely corrected according to datasheets
  • F8F-1b - completely corrected according to datasheets
  • TBF-1C - adjusted according to data sheet
  • Aircraft of F-86, F-80, P-63 series have preliminary adjusted FM. F9F-2 and F9F-5 have preliminary adjusted FM.
  • Aerodynamic characteristics and overall controls improved for BTD-1, XP-50, P-38G, B-25
  • F4U-1a has correct horizontal speed according to datasheet

Japan

• A6M2-N – completely corrected according to datasheets
  • A6M2 — completely corrected according to datasheets
  • A6M2 mod.22 — corrected according to datasheets
  • A6M5 (all modifications) — adjusted according to datasheets
  • Ki-61 (all modifications) — adjusted according to datasheets
  • Ki-84 (all modifications) — aircraft power plant errors fixed, FM adjusted according to datasheets
  • Ki-43 II Hayabusa - completely corrected according to datasheets
  • F1M2 - adjusted according to datasheets
  • Ki-45 - adjusted according to datasheets
  • N1K2 -adjusted according to datasheets
  • Ki-96 - adjusted according to datasheets
  • Ki-102 otsu - adjusted according to datasheets

USSR

• Yak-1b — preliminary corrected according to datasheets
  • Yak-9K — preliminary corrected according to datasheets
  • Yak-9T — preliminary corrected according to datasheets
  • Yak-7b – completely corrected according to datasheets
  • MiG-15, MiG-15 bis, Po-2 have preliminary adjusted FM
  • I-185 FM for corrected
  • IL-2 adjusted according to datasheets
  • IL-2M adjusted according to datasheets
  • IL-10 adjusted according to datasheets
  • LaGG-3-8 i 11 adjusted according to datasheets
  • MiG-9 (all modifications) have been preliminary adjusted
  • Thermodynamics and roll rate fixed for La-5 and La-7 series

UK

• Hurricane Mk.I — completely corrected according to datasheets
  • Fury Mk.I – turn time and engine overheat corrected
  • All Gloster Meteor aircraft have preliminary adjusted FM
  • Polar curve for Tempest Mk. V has been corrected
  • Mosquito Fb. Mk 6/18 - adjusted according to datasheets

Germany

• FM of Bf.109 of the F- series fixed
  • Bf. 110 C-4, Fiat Cr. 42, Me. 262 have preliminary adjusted FM
  • FW-190 D overheat fixed

Modifications and armament

• Schräge Musik available for aircraft that actually used it (Do.217N-2, Ki-45 tei)
  • Anti-g suits added for following fighters:: F9F, F-80, F-84, F-86, Meteor, Vampire, F8F-1, F8F-1b, P-51D-5, P-51D-20NA, P-51D-30
Weapon reload time for MGs and cannons now depends on calibre, the higher the calibre the longer the reload:

• 7.62 mm - 15 seconds
  • 12.7 mm - 20 seconds
  • 20 & 23 mm - 40 seconds
  • 30 mm - 60 seconds
  • 37 mm - 60 seconds
  • 45 mm - 60 seconds
  • 47 mm - 60 seconds
  • 57 mm - 60 seconds
  • 75 mm - 60 seconds
(* given reload time is true for new untrained crews)

All torpedoes have been tuned according to maximum speed of drop:

• Mk.13 early modifications- 204 km/h
  • Mk.13 late modifications - 519 km/h
  • Type 9 mod. 2 - 481 km/h
  • Type 9 mod. 3 - 648 km/h
  • LT F5w - 300 km/h
  • 45-36 AH - 250 km/h
  • Mk.XII early modifications - 280 km/h
Torpedo reload speed in arcade lowered from 80 seconds to 60 seconds

• A6M3 mod22 ko - pylon available for research added
  • Ki-49 - navy bombs Type 97 replaced with Type 94 army bombs
  • Meteor F.8 - 8x RP-3 rockets armament added
  • Ki-45 - turret changed from Mg.15 to Type 98, cannon Type 97 replaced with Ho-3
  • A6M5 otsu - correct 7.7 MG implemented - Type 97
  • Rockets added for Bf.109F-2
  • F-86 - MG ammo capacity is fixed - from 425 to 300
  • F2A-1 - ammo capacity adjusted. Now it’s 600 rounds for 7.62 mm machine guns and 200 rounds for 12.7 mm machine guns
  • BTD-1 - Mk.13 early mod. Is replaced with late mod.
  • SM.79 mod. 1936 - side turrets changed: instead of Breda Safat 12.7 to Lewis 7.7
  • SM.79 mod. 1943 - ammo capacity for rear turret MGs Breda Safat 12.7 changed from 500 to 350
  • F6F-3 - Tiny Tim rockets added
  • Do.217 series E, K, M - external pylons and respective bomb load added
  • B-17G -external pylons and respective bomb load added
  • Armament modifications fixed for DB-7
  • Fire rate for MGs fixed for P-47D and P-51D
  • Torpedo drop order changed for BTD-1, H6K4, PBY-5 - torpedo drop is separate for both Realistic and Simulator Battle modes
  • Modifications’ durability fixed for P-63A-5 (USSR)
  • La-9 - has option of separate cannon controls for wing mounted and nose mounted cannon ?
  • Rocket armament added for Me.262A-1a
  • Cannon pods’ positioning influence on the gun spread fixed
  • Ammo fixed for Ki-96’s 37 mm cannon

Missions and maps

• New location “Kursk” added:
  • 4 single missions for “Kursk”
  • Dynamic campaign for “Kursk”
  • RB and SB mission [Operation] Kursk added
Bugs and balance fixes for existing missions

New missions added for low ranked aircraft in RB and SB with light vehicles and shorter distances:

• Latish Convoy
  • Bastogne
  • Honolulu
  • Last Battle of Khalkin Gol
  • Counteroffensive
  • Mozdok
  • Yoo Passage
  • Port Moresby
  • Essen
  • Consolidation of positions on Sicily
  • Wake Island
  • Henan Province
Single Mission “Misty Coast”

Misc

• Support for user generated content
  • Support for the user generated skins (only stored and seen on client computer, should be available for all aircraft)
  • Support for user created single player missions
  • Support for user created locations
  • Support for the user created planes
  • Support for user localization of the in-game texts

New decals

• National flags decals added (194 decals)
  • Number decals added (unique for each country)
  • "Hell's Belle" pin-up, 401st Bombing Squadron, 91st Bombing Group, 8th Air Force
  • "Bomb Babe" pin-up, 866th Bombing Squadron, 494th Bomb Group, 7th Air Force
  • "Wolfess" pin-up, 364th Bombing Squadron, 305th Bombing Group, 8th Air Force
  • "Blue Sakura" personal victory marking of Saburo Sakai
  • Blue-white roundel used by British and Commonwealth aircraft in the Far East
  • Squadron Leader Pennant, No.242 Squadron RAF
  • Wing Commander Pennant, Royal Air Force
  • Personal motif of Pilot Officer 'Willie' McKnight, No.242 Squadron RAF
  • "ROYAL NAVY" text applied to the rear fuselage of aircraft from the British Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm
  • Flt Lt 'Johnnie' Johnson, No.616 Sqn RAF: "Bader's Bus Company Still Running" in honour of the recently shot down and captured Douglas Bader, summer 1941
  • 'Swallow' victory markings of the 12th Kokutai 5, 15, 30 pcs.
  • Roundel of the Royal Yugoslav Air Force. 1929-1941

Historical Board Decal Competition winner decals

• "Hell's Angel" pin-up by Jej 'CharlieFoxtrot' Ortiz
  • "Flying Tiger Gal" pin-up by Colin 'Fenris' Muir
  • "Werner Molders' 100th Victory" marking by Mathieu 'Iznogoud' Clairoux
  • "Samurai Spirit" pin-up by Colin 'Fenris' Muir
  • "The Regal Seagull" pin-up by J. L. 'ColorCopycat' Yeh
  • "The Red Banner of Victory" pin-up by J. L. 'ColorCopycat' Yeh
Updated:
  • The Spitfire Mk IX (USA) price has changed to 6900 Golden Eagles with a temporary discount of 70%. The discount will be discontinued two days after the Update is released.
  • Korean jets BR has been increased to 8.7 (they are much less likely to meet lower ranked aircraft in a battle)

No wonder the update is so big. The download is just about to finish, but I'm going to sleep right after.
Maybe i'll test it tomorrow.

You should be able to, it equals up to 4x20mm cannons shooting upwards.. Just make sure that it isn't a yankee bomber as they *will* shoot you down with the ball turrets..

You should be able to, it equals up to 4x20mm cannons shooting upwards.. Just make sure that it isn't a yankee bomber as they *will* shoot you down with the ball turrets..
Yeah, I was think more of strafing the incoming fighters from below - first I'll need to get me a BF-110 though...

For that you would need to fly behind and below of the friendly bomber stream, and hope that the fighters won't go for you instead.

Or the Japanese G8N. And that will shoot cannon shells not .50's.

It looks like the damage model has changed a lot. Or I didn't notice my landing gear falling off before.
Enemy planes caught fire quickly when I was shooting at them with my beaufighter, although that could be a coincidence too.

For some reason there's a slight visual freeze when I'm in bombing view and releasing bombs.
Not that nice when you're trying to hit an enemy base with 18 bombs in 1 run.

As I was shooting that P-40 down, it started playing in my head. I had to do it. It got even better when the the last of my team strafed their airfield. I finished this match with 5 kills and got the assist for the Welly. As always, I'm using a Thurstmaster T.Flightstick X. This video was made for fun in about 7 minutes. I don't own any of the material in this video.

Back