War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Just downloaded this. It really seems like my kind of thing... And I finally got to try out the ds4 touchpad.

Mean elf, were you just playing on the "foggy Albion" map? :sly:

Just downloaded this. It really seems like my kind of thing... And I finally got to try out the ds4 touchpad.

Mean elf, were you just playing on the "foggy Albion" map? :sly:
Yup, made a terrible showing of it too :embarrassed: I'm a bit hung over...actually judging by the time of your post, that was a better match for me. I think I ended with the Blenheim - great map that. In fact, they're all pretty stupendous.

EDIT: Found out that you get a hundred or so Eagles for completing the tutorials, and after that I think it's special events or buying them is the only way you'll get more.

Last edited:
Is there a free mode where I can just fly poorly and not worry about kamikazes or ace pilots?

Is there a free mode where I can just fly poorly and not worry about kamikazes or ace pilots?

Yeah, just choose test flight. That mode has no enemies except one destroyable truck parked on a nearby field and ones own stupidity.

Yup, made a terrible showing of it too :embarrassed: I'm a bit hung over...actually judging by the time of your post, that was a better match for me.

I thought so. I started tailing an enemy plane and saw your name pop up. It's always nice when you end up randomly playing against/with someone you know, even if it's just someone from a forum. I normally ignored online last gen, but I've had plenty of memorable online experiences so far this gen.

I thought so. I started tailing an enemy plane and saw your name pop up. It's always nice when you end up randomly playing against/with someone you know, even if it's just someone from a forum. I normally ignored online last gen, but I've had plenty of memorable online experiences so far this gen.
Indeed - I never look behind me enough in this game (that function is a bit too twitchy), so the first clue that I'm being tailed is a stream of tracers :)

I've noticed in spectator mode, that if anyone is flying a Blenheim low enough for the biplanes to tangle with it, they'll invariably try to ram the bomber as those are faster - just a heads up for anyone taking the Blenheim up for the first time.

Well, if by live you mean "it entered close beta with a 50$ buy-in", then yes, it did :lol: Either way, I'm really looking forward to getting 1.37 on the PC. The new tiering system looks kinda nice, at least with the most recent additions. Getting DX11 support is also :drool:

Not sure why, but I'm not looking forward to the tanks too much. Never been into tanks, so it's somewhat natural, I suppose, but everybody is giddy with excitement and I'm like
pokerface.jpg

Well, if by live you mean "it entered close beta with a 50$ buy-in", then yes, it did :lol:
Ahh, the article I read didn't mention any buy-in, just that it was available. Sorry about that.

And you really have to like heavy armour to get excited about it - truth is, outside of PC games there haven't been many serious tank sims around...not that I think this one will be a full sim in style, but it's a lot closer than all of the arcade offerings I've seen so far.

@MeanElf No need to aplogize, really. Gaijin hasn't been advertising the price of the buy-ins too much, I suppose. I mean, you could still get into the closed beta if you managed to complete most of the Ground Force HQ tasks - which I did practically none of, but whatever :D Open beta for ground forces shouldn't be too far off, either way. Rumour has it that it'll open up somewhen early next year or something. No clue about how accurate that is, though.

But, yeah, it's going to be kind of unique, especially on consoles. Knowing Gaijin, I'd say that Arcade Battles aren't going to be much of a simulation, Historical and Full Real, though, those might qualify as sims (the latter, at least) 👍

I downloaded this yesterday and I love it. It reminds me of Janes WW2 Siulator on pc back in the days. I've been playing with my Ps3 controller. It works pretty good.

Well, if by live you mean "it entered close beta with a 50$ buy-in", then yes, it did :lol: Either way, I'm really looking forward to getting 1.37 on the PC. The new tiering system looks kinda nice, at least with the most recent additions. Getting DX11 support is also :drool:

Not sure why, but I'm not looking forward to the tanks too much. Never been into tanks, so it's somewhat natural, I suppose, but everybody is giddy with excitement and I'm like
pokerface.jpg
I am the same really. I am waiting for ships so when I am a high enough level I can go trolling in the Yamato.

This game is amazing! I downloaded it from the PSN on launch day, and I haven not stopped playing it since! I have always been a fan of the IL-2 series, though without a lead indicator, I could not hit a cows ass with a banjo! :lol:

Some of the early planes are amazing. The Blenheim is one of my favorites, I use it in on bombing runs, and ground attack. You can often find me swooping down on the enemy base, taking out the triple-A. I like the Beaufighter too, the cannons on that plane are positively lethal. It is also a tough plane, if a little cumbersome in the turns.

I find the DS4 controls to be a little bit iffy though. On the larger planes, the behind the plane view often pans ridiculously from the planes flight path, and can cause unintended crashes or collisions. The dog fight button, is a great feature, though again, over reliance on it, can lead to inadvertent crashes.

One thing I would like to see is the use of the touch pad, to control the view, instead of holding down on the d-pad. It should at least be an option. This is a fantastic game with a deep level of progression and customisation.! 👍

One question, what do the multipliers do? What does RB(x3), SB(x6) mean?

Edit: I am starting to get hacked off with all the over the shoulder shooting in this game. There was always an unwritten rule in IL-2, that discouraged this kind of behavior, but there is no such rule on the PS4.

I have lost count how many kills I have lost because of people hoping in front of me, or hanging just behind me, and claiming a target I was stalking. What amazes me is that despite the fact that I have dropped the most lead on the target, these kill campers seem to get the reward, whilst I only get an assist.

Last edited:
One question, what do the multipliers do? What does RB(x3), SB(x6) mean?

Edit: I am starting to get hacked off with all the over the shoulder shooting in this game. There was always an unwritten rule in IL-2, that discouraged this kind of behavior, but there is no such rule on the PS4.

I have lost count how many kills I have lost because of people hoping in front of me, or hanging just behind me, and claiming a target I was stalking. What amazes me is that despite the fact that I have dropped the most lead on the target, these kill campers seem to get the reward, whilst I only get an assist.
Maaaaaaan I hate when a sucka *** pilot watches me have a dogfight with someone then swoop in twords the end and steal my kill. I always write, "Wtf? Why did you steal my kill". They respond," Oh, you took to long to kill him" or something like that.
A lil video I made. Good action. I play on my laptop. So, sorry for bad graphs.

Last edited:
Maaaaaaan I hate when a sucka *** pilot watches me have a dogfight with someone then swoop in twords the end and steal my kill. I always write, "Wtf? Why did you steal my kill". They respond," Oh, you took to long to kill him" or something like that.

Some planes, particularly the multi-engined heavy-fighters/bombers can take a while to destroy. They soak up the damage like a sponge, and if they are piloted properly, it can be a right bugger to pull them out of the sky! :lol: I frequently have a trail of two or three fighters trailing my Blenheim, and Beaufighter, when I go on runs. I am quite the pilot in those aeroplanes, and can evade destruction for extended periods of time.

I have noticed too that the small caliber 7.7mm guns are very poor, when it comes to dealing damage, though I do not have many issues with my Beaufigher, and it's 20mm cannons. A quick squirt, and BOOOOOM!!! Even in that short space of time, some pilots will sneak in and try and steal a kill. I know I should not, but I plow down any friendly that gets in my line of fire, it is their fault, not mine... honest! :crazy:

Oooh
Some planes, particularly the multi-engined heavy-fighters/bombers can take a while to destroy. They soak up the damage like a sponge, and if they are piloted properly, it can be a right bugger to pull them out of the sky! :lol: I frequently have a trail of two or three fighters trailing my Blenheim, and Beaufighter, when I go on runs. I am quite the pilot in those aeroplanes, and can evade destruction for extended periods of time.

I have noticed too that the small caliber 7.7mm guns are very poor, when it comes to dealing damage, though I do not have many issues with my Beaufigher, and it's 20mm cannons. A quick squirt, and BOOOOOM!!! Even in that short space of time, some pilots will sneak in and try and steal a kill. I know I should not, but I plow down any friendly that gets in my line of fire, it is their fault, not mine... honest! :crazy:
I can't wait to unlock these planes you speak of. I think I'm a decent pilot, considering the mistakes I make(I haven't played a PC flight sim in more than 10 years).

Oooh
I can't wait to unlock these planes you speak of. I think I'm a decent pilot, considering the mistakes I make(I haven't played a PC flight sim in more than 10 years).

Yes, the 20mm cannons turn the game on its head for sure. In one match, I had seven kills with my Beaufighter, with accurate fire I was 'one-popping' Gladiators, and Hurricanes, like they were going out of fashion!

I have lost count how many kills I have lost because of people hoping in front of me, or hanging just behind me, and claiming a target I was stalking.
It does suck, but you'll have to deal with it. Thing is, most planes that lack cannons (most US planes, basically) suffer from that sort of stuff. You can out round after round after round into an enemy plane and he won't go down. Blast someone with a pair of (or four) 20mm hispano cannons and he'll go poof! in seconds.

As such, whenenver some BF109 (or whatever) swoops down to "help" you with the kill, chances are, it's gonna deal more damage than you did, sitting behind the enemy for several seconds, spraying it with .50 cals or whatever :indiff:

On the Beaufighter: Don't expect that thing to be in any way indicative of higher-tier planes. It's grossely overpowered, in my opinion... But, hey, I main Britain, so whatever :D

It does suck, but you'll have to deal with it. Thing is, most planes that lack cannons (most US planes, basically) suffer from that sort of stuff. You can out round after round after round into an enemy plane and he won't go down. Blast someone with a pair of (or four) 20mm hispano cannons and he'll go poof! in seconds.

I have had a moment of clarity with the lead indicator, it is just that, an indicator. I always assumed that it was the only place that you could hit, to land lead on your target, but it is not. From my understandings thus far, I have figured that the lead indicator just indicates the direction that the center-line of the plane is flying. On larger planes, like bombers, you can aim to the left and the right, and still score hits. That Is how I figured out how to knock out the engines of bombers, after reading the advice on the loading screens. 👍

On the Beaufighter: Don't expect that thing to be in any way indicative of higher-tier planes. It's grossely overpowered, in my opinion... But, hey, I main Britain, so whatever :D

I am eagerly flying towards the second Beaufighter, with cannons AND machine guns. It appears to be similar to the first Beaufighter, but with significantly more firepower. I am mindful of your input, and I will not build my hopes up 'too' high, though I am prepared to be amazed! :lol:

I finally got an fighter with a 20mm cannon, the HE 112 A-0. It kinda sucks cause its only a single cannon. It's hard to get a hit with a single barrel but, when I do. BOOM. Bogey down.

I have had a moment of clarity with the lead indicator, it is just that, an indicator. I always assumed that it was the only place that you could hit, to land lead on your target, but it is not. From my understandings thus far, I have figured that the lead indicator just indicates the direction that the center-line of the plane is flying. On larger planes, like bombers, you can aim to the left and the right, and still score hits. That Is how I figured out how to knock out the engines of bombers, after reading the advice on the loading screens. 👍
Yup, the lead indicator basically shows the center of gravity of the plane in question, if I remember correctly. Leading the lead indicator slightly or aiming to its left or right will, as such, usually grant better results. That'll allow you to hit weaker structural parts such as the wings, cockpit, engine or whatever instead of a well armored fuselage 👍 And I just love ripping someone's wings straight off with my Spitfire's hispanos :lol:
I am eagerly flying towards the second Beaufighter, with cannons AND machine guns. It appears to be similar to the first Beaufighter, but with significantly more firepower. I am mindful of your input, and I will not build my hopes up 'too' high, though I am prepared to be amazed! :lol:
I don't like the Beaufighter Mk. X as much as the Mk. Vc. The Mk. Vc is more agile and the 50. cals (soon to be changed to 303., I believe) really don't add much, especially since they're wing mounted. Biggest difference is that the Mk. Vc gets to stomp around with the tier 4 and 5 planes. The Mk. X has to deal with tiers 6 and 7, so you'll face enemies with cannons and stuff more often - which, in turn, takes a lot of the legendary durability of the Beaufighter away... In short, you're effectively losing durability and maneuverability and gain basically nothing in return :indiff:

However, you'll get Spitfires carrying two 20mm hispanos. And those little buggers sure make short work of wings and stuff, especially while turn fighting 👍

I finally got an fighter with a 20mm cannon, the HE 112 A-0. It kinda sucks cause its only a single cannon. It's hard to get a hit with a single barrel but, when I do. BOOM. Bogey down.

Yeah, yeah, I love those cannons! There is nothing more satisfying that flying through the debris of a plane you have taken down, and imagining the other guy looking at his screen wondering WTF just happened. It is even more satifying when they are not expecting the hit! :lol:

I don't like the Beaufighter Mk. X as much as the Mk. Vc. The Mk. Vc is more agile and the 50. cals (soon to be changed to 303., I believe) really don't add much, especially since they're wing mounted. Biggest difference is that the Mk. Vc gets to stomp around with the tier 4 and 5 planes. The Mk. X has to deal with tiers 6 and 7, so you'll face enemies with cannons and stuff more often - which, in turn, takes a lot of the legendary durability of the Beaufighter away... In short, you're effectively losing durability and maneuverability and gain basically nothing in return :indiff:

I know I wax lyrical about the Beaufighter, but it does have its limitations. It is slow in the turns, and too cumbersome to out manoeuvre some of the more agile fighters. It is an excellent plane for boom and zoom though, if you can catch an unsuspecting fighter nearer the ground. I also like to use it on the point-capture maps to strafe the runways.

I am not a fan of the reload times for the cannons, they take far too long. It can be tricky stalking a target at the best of times in the Beaufighter, due to it ungainly nature, doing so with an empty magazine, just invites temptation from the opposing team. This is especially true in the turns, as this plane banks heavily, it presents an inviting broadside, that is hard to resist. 👍

However, you'll get Spitfires carrying two 20mm hispanos. And those little buggers sure make short work of wings and stuff, especially while turn fighting 👍

I do not just fly the Beaufighter, I am in the first of the Tempests, almost into the second armed with cannons, and I am in the second A and B model Spitfires. I love both of these planes, they are very maneuverable, and capable. The Hurricanes are good too, though I am a little miffed at the reload times for the second bomb-variant Hurricane. Six-odd minutes to reload two bombs is a bit of a joke, where as the bombers I have trained only take on average 90 seconds. 👍

A question, if you do not mind answering.I have an old usb joystick somewhere, will it work with the PS3 version of this game? I am not a fin of the dualshock controls, as they are a little bit problematic. 👍

@magburner
I honestly don't know a thing about the PS version of War Thunder :indiff: USB mouse and keyboard are supposedly supported, though, so it might just work. Joysticks seem to be generally infarior to M&K, too, at least in Arcade Battles, from what I've been hearing.

On the Beau: Yeah, that thing is quite... Well, sluggish when compared to a fighter. For a two engined heavy attacker, though, it's quite agile. I just love it when an enemy BF109 tries to turn away from my Beau V - I can usually keep up long enough to blow 'em up :dopey:

My new favorite plane i unlocked last night is the Bf-110 C-4. It's pretty fast, agile, and heavily armed. I was blastin' fools out the sky with my cannons and guns. All I need is to unlock bombs for it and it will be my ultimate weapon.

Latest Posts

Back