War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

...A question, if you do not mind answering.I have an old usb joystick somewhere, will it work with the PS3 version of this game? I am not a fin of the dualshock controls, as they are a little bit problematic. 👍
Hop over to the Gaijin forums - I'm sure someone will have some advice concerning which flight-sticks are supported.

I don't like the Beaufighter Mk. X as much as the Mk. Vc. The Mk. Vc is more agile and the 50. cals (soon to be changed to 303., I believe) really don't add much, especially since they're wing mounted. Biggest difference is that the Mk. Vc gets to stomp around with the tier 4 and 5 planes. The Mk. X has to deal with tiers 6 and 7, so you'll face enemies with cannons and stuff more often - which, in turn, takes a lot of the legendary durability of the Beaufighter away... In short, you're effectively losing durability and maneuverability and gain basically nothing in return :indiff:

I have to say that my initial sorties with the Mk. X have been very positive. It is a more lethal plane, and whilst the MK.Vc was never the most agile, I find the Mk. X to be acceptable.

The DS3 controls are starting to bite me now too. At times, and in third-person mode, the camera is hopelessly pointing in the wrong direction, and it makes flying a plane with compromised control surfaces, a nightmare to control. Sometimes the camera will be facing the plane as I am flying it, that is not right. Perhaps I have missed the option, but I would like to lock the third-person camera behind the plane, it would make things a lot easier.

One thing that I have noticed, particularly when I set a plane alight is that I will get criticals, even when I am not shooting at the plane. What is that all about? Other than that, I am loving the game. I regularly finish in the top three, with rewards ranging from 10,000 to 25,000. 👍

@magburner Have you tried the Spitfire Mk. 2b? It's my favourite. Went 10 - 0 in it yesterday :D

As far as the critical hits go, if you set a plane afire, it'll slowly burn down and that'll cause more and more damage it.

Everyone's up in arms about the new matchmaking and the progression system, it seems... I can understand why, the progression system is incredibly convoluted and a huge mess. As for the matchmaking, it doesn't seem any more broken than it did before, so...

You know what I like about the German planes? The fact that their cannons are nose mounted! Downright awesome!
Not only German... Many Soviet fighters (I-15, I-16, MiG-3, LaGG-3, La-5/7, Yak's...) have nose-mounted guns, too. As well as American rear-engined fighters (P-39 Airacobra, P-63 Kingcobra) and some Japanese (A5M, A6M, etc.)

This is my favourite - Bell P-39Q Airacobra (Soviet lend-lease). The only fighter I donated for. Not easy to control, but the firepower is great.
sfagiqfrk0Y.jpg

Not only German... Many Soviet fighters (I-15, I-16, MiG-3, LaGG-3, La-5/7, Yak's...) have nose-mounted guns, too.
I'm in the process of unlocking some more Russian fighters 👍 They're actually pretty great. The La5 and the MiG 3-15 BK are outstanding at Tier II and I'm looking forward to creating a nice Tier III roster with the LA5FN, the I-185 and the Yak 3P :D

Not only German... Many Soviet fighters (I-15, I-16, MiG-3, LaGG-3, La-5/7, Yak's...) have nose-mounted guns, too. As well as American rear-engined fighters (P-39 Airacobra, P-63 Kingcobra) and some Japanese (A5M, A6M, etc.)

This is my favourite - Bell P-39Q Airacobra (Soviet lend-lease). The only fighter I donated for. Not easy to control, but the firepower is great.
sfagiqfrk0Y.jpg
The P-39 AiraCobra is my favorite plane. Its like a MR2 of the sky, with a 37mm.

So I bought my self the thrustmaster flight stick since i started doing Realistic battles(my ps3 controller is not cutting it). The reason is I have to use simplified controls cause the ps3 controller is inadequate for anything above Arcade battle. I always go into a crazy flat spin and die. So I'm excited.

A fun battle I did the other day. I got my Thrustmaster T.Flight stick X on New years eve, so I've only had a few days of practice with it. I had fun making this video. It only took about 40 mins to do and I didn't try too hard. I love the Ki-64 Otsu Hien. It's fast, maneuvers good and it has good firepower(in my opinion). At one point, you can see the A.I. pilots frozen with fear as I closed on their 6'o clock......lol not really. My name is Rollingzoku on WT, so add me and we'll fly together. Thanks for watching, enjoy!

I'd love to get into the more realistic battles, like RB or even SB... But I love the fast-paced, stupid action of Arcade way too much :D

Also, gotta say, I just passed the 120 hours mark in War Thunder. That's a lot of time, for me. I usually tend to not stick around a single game that long - celebrated that by buying 2500 Golden Eagles. Gotta support good developers, eh? ;)

Read some deflating news over at N4G, about this game not coming to the States! Can anyone tell me if this is true or not.

PS. That would be for the PS4.

So now the Japanese get a F86. The Japanese planes look brilliant.

The KI43 is brilliant in tier 1.
The A6M2 for tier 2.
The A6M3/KI84 こ(ko)/ KI102 for anti bomber for tier 3.
N1K Shiden for tier 4.

And now the F86 for tier 5.

It is in the planned tree iirc. Also an ace plane.

Japan really did produce some truly world class planes towards the end of the war. Had they been able to put them into large scale production I think America would have had a huge problem.

Just a match I had the other day that went decent for once. This I usually get blown out the sky in Tier 4 matches for various reasons. The most frequent one is I get shot down before I can attack somebody. I'm using a Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X. I usually get shot down in WT. The joystick can be a limiting factor(even though it shouldn't. A beat to death subject on the forums.)in WT but, sometimes I get lucky and have a good match. Even if i only get 1 or 2 player kills.

Another one of those "lucky" RB matches I have every few thousand years when the planets align in our solar system. I love the cannons and the mineshell round. It's pretty agile too. It was nice to have some time to line up a shot. Normally I get blown out the sky as I maneuver myself into position to shoot. I'm using the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X. I cut the video short cause at the end the A.i used its Arcade FM to shoot my aircraft and force me to land over my base. And I wasn't repaired..
*Just uploaded*

A nice battle I had the other day in WT. I took 3 Zeros down in this sortie. I never had this much fun in a RB match. The last Zero chasing my teammate was the hardest to kill. It was hard to acquire a shot with my teammate so close. I was hoping my stray shots wouldn't hit him/her. I like how there was allied and enemy a.i planes flying around with AAA fire all around. Made it quite interesting. I'm using a Thrustmaster T.Flightstick X. Hope you enjoy. By the way, the design on my plane looks pretty cool. Even though its simple.

Last edited:
Back