WDS12: Pull Out Your Pocket Rockets! - Locked by BL

Vote for your two (2) favourite videos.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys relax a bit? I know my run wasn't a very good one, I said so when I posted it...

About the judging criteria, there will always be "subconcious" stuff that affects your voting.. stuff like camera angles, video quality etc... Just as some people think voting on a run because it uses a certain whatever is justified, other people have different opinions.

Quite a few people here seem to only vote for tire compounds and DFP displays without even considering drift angle and impact, yet I don't see you coming down on those comments... There's been way too much attitude around this series lately...

So, if we can try to outline some basic criteria when introducing the new themes, it might take away some of the "confusion". Maybe having a discussion on what makes a good entry in a separate thread will shed some light on this as well?

Ske
Can you guys relax a bit? I know my run wasn't a very good one, I said so when I posted it...

About the judging criteria, there will always be "subconcious" stuff that affects your voting.. stuff like camera angles, video quality etc... Just as some people think voting on a run because it uses a certain whatever is justified, other people have different opinions.

Quite a few people here seem to only vote for tire compounds and DFP displays without even considering drift angle and impact, yet I don't see you coming down on those comments... There's been way too much attitude around this series lately...

So, if we can try to outline some basic criteria when introducing the new themes, it might take away some of the "confusion". Maybe having a discussion on what makes a good entry in a separate thread will shed some light on this as well?

if your talking about me(I'm pretty sure I'm one of them, i know I've mentioned tire compound in the past) for voting for tire compounds, thats not true. i take everything into consideration when voting. but if two people have very identical runs(esp on lower powered cars), and one uses n3 and the other uses n1 or n2, ill obviously vote for the guy using n3 seeing as its harder to get the same angle while maintaining a good line as the guy with harder rubber. i really don't care about the music choice, but I've gotta be able to see the car in at least one of the views(meaning if its too dark to see the wall/car/ground that video doesn't get a vote, but usually ill view it more than others to make sure before i throw it out for being too dark. i have'nt seen many of them yet.)

yea well ill end this by saying you took my statement about the music out of context, I should have pm med that to him.

sorry for any confusion

edit:
also the statement about the real life thing was not needed. sorry for that also. but in browsing around the forum, some of the things i read just makes me think because some people blur the line between reality and virtual

well how bout we just eliminate music and extra drifts...only show the section that is competing....if anything extra, such as AI which hides the car being judged, that entry is out....simple enough. O and if you enter you can't vote. But hey its not my comp....I run xdgp...where its a true battle of skills on one run.

Well, if those rules are added I would probably quit this comp, it's just not fun having too much restrictions. It's one of the reason why I never joined the GTPDC.

Well, if those rules are added I would probably quit this comp, it's just not fun having too much restrictions. It's one of the reason why I never joined the GTPDC.

how is that too many restrictions? no music, traffic, or extra drifting... its not like it would make this harder to do.

how is that too many restrictions? no music, traffic, or extra drifting... its not like it would make this harder to do.

Well, all those things you listed are restrictions, and I don't see how it will improve the competition. There's only so many ways to drift, but there are a lot more ways you can make a drift video. If you want a comp with strict rules, just go join the GTPDC.

Well, all those things you listed are restrictions, and I don't see how it will improve the competition. There's only so many ways to drift, but there are a lot more ways you can make a drift video. If you want a comp with strict rules, just go join the GTPDC.

it will improve it by making the voting more pure hopefully. as some people might vote for music type, game mode type(ie with ai in the video), and extra corners could make or break a tie between 2 videos.

it will improve it by making the voting more pure hopefully. as some people might vote for music type, game mode type(ie with ai in the video), and extra corners could make or break a tie between 2 videos.

Well, it'll be Boundary Layer's decision to make.

LOL about the tires Suzuki, I entered a 182 HP AE86 and Had N2 tires, it wasn't very easy to slide with.

try it with n3....I bet you its a lot harder to do then n2....which is harder then n1....well that's determined by style I suppose....

As for the "restrictions" it was just an idea since there have been flames about music etc....Kindof like a vauge reminder of what is being judged...The drifting of that particularly laid out section. I mean I don't want to have to watch 3 minutes of extra stuff diluting what is really supposed to be judged....and have that extra entry get votes for the editing etc...unfortunatly it happens...I am sure bl won't change anything....to discourage people from participating....BUT extreme extras should definatly be counted out...OTherwise I would just give a full lap...

BTW NO VOTE TAMPERING AHEM....seems to me that #1 is campagnin ..... reason is that he didnt' link anything yet is still getting votes....there are cars up there that are more deserving..The voting seems out of place this week...just what I am seeing...

try it with n3....I bet you its a lot harder to do then n2....which is harder then n1....well that's determined by style I suppose....

As for the "restrictions" it was just an idea since there have been flames about music etc....Kindof like a vauge reminder of what is being judged...The drifting of that particularly laid out section. I mean I don't want to have to watch 3 minutes of extra stuff diluting what is really supposed to be judged....and have that extra entry get votes for the editing etc...unfortunatly it happens...I am sure bl won't change anything....to discourage people from participating....BUT extreme extras should definatly be counted out...OTherwise I would just give a full lap...

exactly what i was going to say. if people are going to vote for extra drifts, then why not submit a full lap. i mean what if someone did submit a full lap, but did absolute horrible on the weeks section? will they get first because of the 'extra drifts' or will they not get a vote because they did the section really badly? i know i would look somewhere else if they did horrible, but i dont know about others.

Let's keep any accusations of cheating out of this thread please. If you believe you've spotted something questionable, please just let me know about it by PM and I'll deal with it.

Vote tampering is the one thing I have no patience for in these events (as a few select people know). I do my best to watch the results closely and will contact entrants the second anything looks amiss.

Now with regards to the rest of the conversation:
As of right now, based on the points brought up, I do not believe any changes to the rules or the structure of the WDS is necessary. I have to side with nos2's view of things here.

About traffic:
Anyone on any given week could decide to toss a few AI obstacles on the track, it's just a matter of if you're in a creative enough mood to do it. I fail to see why it's a problem if people suddenly decide to vote for that video.

About music:
Music stays - it lets people add a little personality to their video, and I think that does definitely have a place in the WDS. It is your choice, as an entrant, whether to add music or not.
I find it hard to believe that anyone here would hinge their their decision entirely on the music in a video. That was just Suzuki looking a little too deep into an innocent comment/compliment.

About extra drifts:
Depending on the theme it may be necessary to show an extra turn or two before the section starts so that the loading screen will be visible so I can check that the entered vehicle has met any criteria limitting power output or tire compounds. The instant I take that away you'll all start accusing each other of mating a false loading screen to a clip that starts half way though a lap.
As for extra drifts after a run has supposed to have ended, I may be persuaded to do something about that if it is still seen as a problem in future weeks. We'll leave that open for now.

About dking's comments ...'a true battle of skills':
Lets mosey back to September when the WDS was just some idea in my head.

me
There'll be much less emphasis on the line/angle/smoke/control type criteria used in the GTPDC in the voting - it'll just be a poll for 'which do you like the most'. You are, of course, free to use GTPDC categories to decide which you like most if you want... whatever matters to you. Personally, because the sections will only consist of a few corners, creativity is going to be a bit important in getting my vote.

So ya, that's the plan. Hopefully it becomes a popular idea. I think it'll serve as a great way to get people interested in friendly competition here without too much pressure. And because the sections are short it'll be easier to get adventurous, it should be quick to get an entry, and on the whole the challenge is less daunting than a full course GTPDC. Additionally, it'll be a great way for new/struggling drifters to get tips (much like I hope the BDC was). Everyone has a week to attempt the section, and then when the poll is put up new drifters will be able to see how others tackled the secton and take notes from that, and continue to practice it on their own.

The intent of the WDS was never to offer an accurate assessment of one's skill. The GTPDC has that covered, and the XDGP has it doubly covered for xlinkers. The WDS is meant to be a low-pressure fun competition with quick turn-around, and a place to show a little creativity outside of what is normally permitted in the GTPDC. You can also read from that quote that I'd hoped it'd be a decent learning environment for less experienced drifters.

You may also have noticed that the idea was to have people vote for the video they like most, and not necessarily the one that has the best drifting. I think it's great if people are focussed primarily on the drift quality, but that is not a requisite for tossing your two cents in. People can vote for videos for any reason they see fit to vote for it, apart from being asked to vote for it by a friend. There's no big money on the line, and how you finish is no definite statement about your drifting skill.

If any of that is not what you were bargaining for, then by all means go and do something else. As nos2 suggested, petition Swift or Sheron to get another GTPDC up if a solid analysis of your drifting performance is what you're looking for.

You guys are all starting to take this thing a bit too seriously, methinks.

...oh, and if you're going to reply to this post of mine, please don't quote the whole thing. You'll make a mess.

Great post BL, + rep. 👍

I agree with you BL, the WDS is great as it is and I don't think that anything should be changed.

As for the voting, people vote for a clip for many differnet reasons. Personally I vote based on the drifting. If I still can't decide, then I vote for the video I enjoyed watching most. Music never accounts for my vote since I usually always watch the videos late at night, I have my speakers off.

It's all good fun, so don't take it too seriously. :)

If your saying vote for the best video, which I have no problem with, then people need not complain that voting seems out of wack and no need to complain that the best drift is not winning.

I agree with Boundary Layer, this competition allows creativaty and I think that's part of the reason why it's so popular. If all the videos have the exact same format, and no music allowed, it will grow stale very quick.

My misake for thinking this was about drift quality...Judging habits are hard to break. If its about vids i have no problem....edit on people....

Btw I hate being misquoted I never said test i said battle...LOL jk just givin you a hard time bl:dunce:

I merely suggested no music etc without knowin what this thing was about...And If it were truly for fun no entry should EVER be dqed....for whatever reason....It was when my tandem entry got dqed I thought Oh is this serious?...

Maybe it wasn't dq'ed for the tandem, maybe it was just the wrong type of car or the chase cam view missing?

No, it got dq'd because you already had a co-winning individual run entered that week and I didn't know how to enter it into the spreadsheet. I tried to make that clear in the caption below the results. It was a logistics thing ;)

Normally, the only reasons I'd leave a video out of a poll is:
If it displays the entrants username
If it does not meet the theme's car criteria
If it is missing the chase view + display
If it is an HM
If it contains excessive profanity or content not suitable for the forums​

Maybe it wasn't dq'ed for the tandem, maybe it was just the wrong type of car or the chase cam view missing?

how was it the wrong type of car? we only showed track cam and chase cam twice because you cant save xlink replays, therefore we could only record 2 views, which we asked bl before hand and he gave us the ok. and bl if i would have known that, i would have just entered it myself. but oh well. no worries from me.

so like i got a question. in WDS 12.5 im planning on have 2 screen video like Nos2's video something like that, but different in some ways. can i?

How do u know which one is his?....and I think the answer is yes....
Even if you look at youtube....I don't see his name.....

dude... i looked at youtube -_-

oh so your voting based on whos video it is and not the quality of the video?
i know i vote on the quality, but i clicked on that certian video and i didnt see a name with nos2. therefore i guess you guys are close friends huh?

Thanks guys, but let's drop this issue here. I've been watching the voting all week, and made note of the post, and there's just too many things going on in the polls from week 9 forwards to be purely coincidence.

Another entrant has also noticed a few iregularities and was in contact with me about it earlier this week.

I'm locking the thread for a few hours just so things don't get any further out of hand here.

A large group of you should be expecting PM's tomorrow morning about this.

Merry Christmas.

Videos 1, 3, and 5 have been disqualified from the results for vote tampering.

Based on past results, and peculiarities in the voting and comments this week, I've determined that at least 3 votes for video 1, 4 votes for video 3, and 2 votes for video 5 were prearranged.

Apologies in advance. I actually knocked the voting system, and im guilty of voting for buddies. I will not be competing or voting anymore. ill just be an regular video submitting member.

thank you

i voted for stuff that i could actually see how can you judge a video where the quality is so poor you can barely even see anything -.- pisses me right off.

alright guys thanks for all the fun ^_^ i had fun in this competition, and oh yea BL take me off the err... spreadsheet thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back