Wednesdays TOYOTA 2000GT 20:30-21:30 GMT- Congratulations Champion PimikiFinished 

Maybe I could have held up @Zolon32 in the first 10 minutes?

I don't remember being held up by anyone Ben, thankfully. When I was following Pimi closely, for the first half a lap, I found it almost impossible to find my braking and turning points. How anyone ever makes an overtake at MP I've no idea. Even if someone makes a mistake there's very little room to squeeze past, especially if they're bouncing off walls.

I did begin to sweat a little when you climbed into fourth, I expected to see you right on my tail after a couple more circuits. That last third of the race always either goes way too slowly, because you're happy with your position, or way too quickly, because you're not!

Cheers, Zo.

By the way, Sick, my colour is metallic gunmetal 4.

Last edited:
@BenMillard

[USER=149998]@SolidSnake7735
was driving a Mercedes 300 SL 1954 nicely on CM tyres at Autumn Ring Mini when I took over the test room.

A couple more drivers dropped by. I'm not sure what their GTP account names are, though.[/USER]

Thanks for the heads up Ben. @Benny44 used to race with us on Sunday afternoons - unfortunately we had to switch to week nights because of disconnection / capacity problems with PSN at weekends and the new time of our meetings is not convenient for Benny, however he is welcome to join us when he is free.

@SolidSnake7735 is also welcome to join us if the time and date suit him so I will send an invitation.

[QUOTE="Benny44, post: 11605608, member: 140839"]I was hoping to get a couple more laps with that 2000GT to see if I could at least give [USER=246980]@BenMillard
a run for his money once I got used to those cm tires. Love that car and really wish I was free for the series![/QUOTE]

Hi Benny - it is difficult to give @BenMillard a run for his money because he is fast - too fast for me! Glad you like the Toyota 2000GT - one suggestion - if you tune it up to 463PP with the sports exhaust so it sounds good then undo the weight saving mods it drops back to 450PP and at this level it will dominate any of the 450PP Seasonal events while still being a great fun and sounding drive in cockpit view - a nice way to earn extra credits!

Round 7 from Mount Panorama
Qualification Race - I think I started from 8th in the Qualification Race, but soon slipped down the order. My car seemed to lack acceleration compared with other peoples cars. I was surprised to find some of the fast drivers behind me, but I find that if I leave the track for any reason it puts me in last place. I caught up with Tarnheld who was struggling to control his car and aimed for the clear bit of track, but unfortunately he moved onto that bit of tarmac and I couldn't avoid a collision. I delayed a bit and tried to give the place back, but his car was more spending more time on the grass than off. The faster guys got past so I started the main race from, I think, 10th.

Feature Race - Difficult to believe that I actually did some practise for this event, because my pace was so slow compared with not only the front runners, but the rest of the field. I did the Qualy race using Daytona Road gearing, but as I struggled with acceleration I lowered the gearing for the main race which was an improvement. I did one lap which matched my best offline practise lap and appeared to be catching Sutsagrd and Tarnheld, but unfortunately my mind wandered onto thinking about lap times and I missed my braking marker - the shade of a tree and braked by the shade of another tree, probably two or three trees later and the car ploughed head first into a wall, which in real life, circa 1968, pre HANS would have been fatal, but just lost me 21 seconds.

For some reason as I sit here typing this, drinking my free coffee - courtesy of complaining about unwanted eggshell in my McMuffin - I can't help remembering the song 21 seconds!

Next Round 8 from Cote Dazur[/user]

I caught up with Tarnheld who was struggling to control his car and aimed for the clear bit of track, but unfortunately he moved onto that bit of tarmac and I couldn't avoid a collision. I delayed a bit and tried to give the place back, but his car was more spending more time on the grass than off. The faster guys got past so I started the main race from, I think, 10th.

Sorry for that, wasn't in control as i crashed into a wall before and had rear suspension damage. That and my mistake of applying too much throttle too soon caused my car to spin out and become a road block. Thanks for trying to wait for me but it's me who is to blame for the crash. :guilty: :)

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_26.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_27.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_28.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_29.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_30.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_31.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_32.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_33.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_34.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_35.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_36.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_37.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_38.jpg

I plan on doing some proper tuning today. So I'll let you know my top speed when I find out.
I had a chance to do a handful of laps yesterday, but I couldn't get into a rhythm, and my tune from Mt P. Doesn't work so well here. I don't remember my top speed but I never hit 5th gear and my best laptime was 2:00.

175km/h. 1.000 5th gear with 4.000 final for me. Finally got into 1:58s online using 5 5 brake bias. :D @Harsk100 best in yesterday's session was 0.5 faster than that. :scared:

Are you on the correct track? It's Monaco not Monza. Top speed doesn't matter here.

Monaco Tune

I got my best time using these settings. Note: wheel user. Settings are a mixture from different sources.

RH 96 / 75
SR 6.06 / 4.66
DC 2 / 2
DE 2 / 2
ARB 3 / 3
Camber 0 / 0
Brakes 8 / 8
LSD 12 / 30 / 15
Transmission - to preference (mine is 124mph and evenly spread, 1st fully to the right NB I don't bother with the transmission flip).

Good luck everyone!

It was a great race, despite of me being gutted with the result! If I hadn't misjudged a corner trajectory for braking too early, Pimiki wouldn't have overtaken me and I would still have won the race! Ah well, need to work harder next time on the part of defending, as my defending today was a bit poor....

Anyways, I'm 25 points behind Pimiki, so I need desesperately to win the following rounds to take the lead. :(

Monaco was a track I've never understood, so I put a lot of testing time into it. 30 minute sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I was into the 1:58s after starting in the 2:01s! Within sight of @Harsk100 with the same setup and DS3.

The glamour of the hotels, the bright sunshine reflecting off the premium interior textures. Dials from an era of refined typography instead of garish LEDs. A relaxed meeting of ladies and gentlemen. Or so it should be...

I was getting lots of track space, sensible drivers letting me by or ghosting themselves as they recovered from crashing. It was top quality, considerate play from every driver I saw.

After a few tweaks and changes to the setup, I went to the Daytona/Bathurst tune but wih 4.000 final drive instead of 3.500 and it felt nice again. I qualified 2nd on the grid!

At the start @Harsk100 got a lot of wheelspin. I was alongside, then in front for turn 1! Got the apex and drove out into the lead! I was so pleased.

[...]

Due to a couple of hits from behind which the assailants took advantage of, I retired. (To get the replay I stayed in the pits.)

@Sick Cylinder gave the 1 minute countdown as I returned to the room. Jumped into the entry list in the hope of having some entertainment, far away from the leading pair.

Well it was a much cleaner race. I have to apologise for the numerous bumps and wobbles and I had near other cars. Obviously, I never took an advantage from it. Made sure I dropped back a bit before resuming the chase. Generally speaking I was getting enough track space in the first third of the race.

@simba seemed to get scared off the road by me in the downhill right before the hairpin! They were taking a very wide entry to a very late apex. The better line is to surf the favourable camber around the inside, like real cars on this track. This gained me a lot of distance and I got an unexpected overlap.

Really heads-up driving from Simba saw this and immediately opened the steering. But it didn't seem like a fair move as our lines would have crossed in a collission; I didn't have any overlap in the braking zone. So I coasted down the hill on Simba's outside, giving way at the hairpin.

@buybon55 got past me at some point, possibly near here. I'll have to check the replay. The phrase 'rolling roadblock' would be unkind as he wasn't exactly slow. But it was holding me up by a second or two through the middle half of my race! Some defensive lines and the natural varation from lap to lap we all had, trying to keep this slippery car on the straight and narrow!

With several mistakes from both of us most laps, the gap was always growing and shrinking. Eventually he got broadside at the marina chicane. I saw he had entered wide so I positioned myself for a very tight cutback. Got alongside, to the inside of the middle section. Threading the needle! The momentum of his spin nudged his car into the left side of mine. I turned right to give more room so he could straighten up. We drove off the corner carefully, side by side. About halfway down the straight, he lifted to give me the place.

That's the classy driving I joined this series for - you spin into the side of someone, they give you space to recover, you give them the place. Sportsmanship. 👍

If you'd given way earlier I might have dragged you up to @simba and @gu1tar3r1ch ! They were right with us when we started contesting our mid-field place.

Finishing the race with a 1:58.7 then a 1:58.6 felt great. On pace with my qualifying time and the track felt like it was coming towards me. Until the final chicane, when I clipped a wall and nearly span. :lol: Thankfully I'd built a gap over @buybon55 and held onto whatever place it was.

The final result didn't matter as I was starting at the wrong end of the grid. I got the entertainment I was looking for.
I need desesperately to win the following rounds to take the lead. :(
Nobody in this series should think like that. It explains a lot. 👎

Last edited:
Nobody in this series should think like that. It explains a lot. 👎
I was just sad, sorry. I'm just struggling with the Toyota, needing to practice more.

I was very busy with GRC, so, that's why I haven't practised that much in this week. However, I will be back to normal in next week, as the GRC has ended in that time...

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the main race keeping Ben behind. Yes it was costing us a little time, but my lap times were all in the 2.00.xxx bracket, very consistent for me at this track. I put in a best lap of 1.59 something so turns out it wasn't costing me that much time after all!

I have to say Ben was very fair throughout, and was clearly faster. Would have been easy to get the red mist being stuck behind a slower car for so many laps but he raced cleanly the whole time. Impressive stuff

Is there a signup required for this?

Hi Death and welcome - I will send you a message regarding how to sign up to this series and our Friday one - hopefully the times and dates fit with your schedule.

Note to: @BenMillard @Harsk100 @Pimasz - some incidents in the last race have been reported and are currently being considered by the Stewards. We will respond to you privately before the next Wednesday meeting. Please refrain from raising incidents / criticising other drivers in the thread - incidents which you believe warrant investigation should be reported to the Host privately via GT Planet or PS3 message. Please refrain from sending text messages during races.

Round 9 at Willow Springs was another track I usually hate. Never found the groove here until a touring car series visited it and never found it again since! Didn't do any testing until about an hour before the event, got 100km on it.

@Harsk100 was straight into the 1:31s while I slipped and slid into 1:32s if I was lucky. Decided to make a couple of tiny changes to the setup to stop the outside rear spinning up so easily, as I kept losing control.

This definitely gave me more control. Some time ago there was a NASCAR seasonal TT here and I watched ImmortalPilot best lap quite a few times back then. Started trying his early entry, ultra tight lines. Sure enough, like so many tracks, Kaz has slapped loads of grip tape down on this 'aesthetic' racing line! Even though it isn't the natural racing line.

With the car more stable and the secret grip discovered, I started being able to put laps together. The track still felt slippery but I could stay in control.
Same as my Daytona/Bathurst tune with 3 small changes in bold.

Stats (should be the same for everyone)
463pp
276bhp
937kg
29.4kg/m

Suspension
100 70 (+5mm nose, -15mm tail than my last tune, to create more mid corner rotation and because most of the fast driver cars looked even more 'jacked up' than my previous tune)
min min (-0.04 front than my last tune)
1 1
1 1 (instead of 4 3)
6 4 (instead of 7 4 because @Zolon32 car looked very soft and he set amazing test times)
0.0 0.0
-0.05 0.12 (was using 0.10 at Monaco and 0.07 at Daytona and Bathurst - thanks to @MadMax from WRS for suggesting this after a few laps at Madrid some weeks ago)

Racing Brakes
3 5 (was using 5 5 instead of the original 8 4 at Madrid when I noticed @pimisz gets a lot of rotation on turn-in, think he may run rear bias and that's why he uses a LOT of gas overlap with brake to maximise the ABS?)

Gearbox
(Same as other tune, just longer final drive.)
Max: 180km/h
1: 2.500
2: 1.800
3: 1.450
4: 1.200
5: 1.000
Final: 4.000 (was using 3.500 at Daytona because of the fast oval sections and potential for long time in slipstream)

Differential
5 5 5 (5 5 5 then 5 6 5 at Daytona because inside rear was spinning in the 4 very slow hairpins of Daytona)

Power (should be same for everyone)
100%
All parts except NOS
Sports Exhaust
Oil Change

Body (should be same for everyone)
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour - I'm not a ricer)
Window Weight Reduction
No ballast
No downforce (although you lose some braking grip in slipstream...The Real Driving Simulator™)
Standard chassis

Suspension
Toe: -0.05 0.12 (was using 0.10 at Monaco and I think 0.08 at Daytona and Bathurst)

Brakes
5 (instead of 5 5, so I could stay on the track even if I entered a little too fast and had to trail-brake slightly)

Drivetrain
5 5 5 (originally 5 5 5 until Daytona, where the inside rear kept spinning in the 4 very slow hairpin turns, so I used 5 6 5 at Daytona and Bathurst)
When we changed rooms I did my oil change, to be sure I would make it through the event. @Sick Cylinder was running a bit late so I thought there might only be a lap or two to set a time. Pressure!

Got into the room, straight to track and drove sector 1. Into sector the 2, the technical turns on top of the hill, the track felt great! Maybe a tiny bit more grip than our test room? Or maybe it was the brighter, lower sun making the track more beautiful.

Quite soon I set a stonking 1:31.6 I think and nobody beat it. It was quite a long session in the end. Quite a few people were going off and @Sick Cylinder made sure everyone had a fair shot at the grid.
Starting from pole position, I got nicely hooked up at the start and reached the first corner first. At the end of pre-qualifying I had done a test start and knew lifting off the gas was enough to guide the car around the corner from the start line. Sure enough, I got around neatly. Things were looking great!

Unfortunately I lost my mojo in the technical section and ran wide. My tyres looked clean by the downhill left but the sand piled up in the car body. It all fell out under braking! There was a lot of understeer and I barely stayed on the tarmac.

@Harsk100 had stayed close enough to seize this birthday-and-Xmas gift and drove past!

For the rest of the race I could keep with him and gained a lot in places. Got close enough to try a move into the start of the technical section but couldn't balance the brake well enough to hold the tighter line. Perhaps another driver would have seen the move and left a bit more space. In any case, it didn't feel like a clean move so I dropped behind to try again.

There wouldn't be another opportunity until the final lap. A half-chance as @Harsk100 got sideways exiting the technical section. But as I tried to carry more speed the tyres couldn't stand it and I lost traction. Counted my blessings it kept facing the right way and settled for a very fine 2nd place!
Front row f the grid proved crucial here. Just like Monaco I got a very nicely hooked up start and got ahead into turn 1. In fact I was well ahead and was shaking with nerves. If I span the car now, I would be hidden behind a plume of smoke while the other 11 cars stampeded towards me!

@Harsk100 seemed to bog down badly at the start. It was like Hamilton losing out to Rosberg! @richroo had nowhere to go on the tight grid and lost all his speed to avoid damaging both cars. Sad for him, awesome qualifying and entered turn 1 several positions below where he deserved to be.

Lap 2 was a dream for me. I set a 1:31.422 and the car felt fantastic. Those tiny change give away some agility but added so much stability in the never ending 90% gas corners.

Lap 8 was a rude wake-up call! My lead had been 1.5 to 2.5 seconds but I lost my mojo in that technical section again. This time I was super careful in the downhill left and got a half-decent exit. By the start line the gap was barely half a second. :nervous:

There was almost nothing in it as we went through the technical sector. Again, I lost my line and put a wheel on the sand! For once my throttle stick skillz were up to the task - I rejoined the track still a few car lengths ahead. Braked firmly before the downhill left, the exhaust spitting flames as if telling @Harsk100 to keep behind! We both got a solid drive off the corner and hurtled to the ultra fast final turns. Jut 0.4s between us.

I was on the ragged edge through the last turn, outside front screeching and burning as I tortured it in the fiery hell of DS3 stick mashing. But it paid off and I pulled a couple of tenths by the line - with 2km/h more speed, too.

@Harsk100 was keeping ultra tight and smooth around the first part of the long right at turn 2. But the car couldn't hold the line and he was losing out mid corner. These subtle differences now gave me a 1.2 second lead. Our middle sectors were dead level, fastest on track. My final sector was a couple tenths better, consistent pace.

My advantage was nearly 1.4s now as we started lap 11 with 9:30 left to go.

Entering turn 1 cautious I got hooked up on the inside kerb. It nearly span the car and I lost a lot of speed! With a scruffy line through the technical section, the gap was again just half a second. This time the outside left could take no more, I slid off Kaz's grip paint all they to the outside of the final turn. I kept 2 wheels on the track by the smallest of margins but was 20km/h slower than @Harsk100 off the turn.

An easy pass and I tried to refocus. Just wanted to hit my marks for the remaining laps. If I could do that, my pace advantage might create enough pressure to crack the leader. But @Harsk100 immediately put in a great sector 1 but I finally did a neat sector 2, restoring the gap at 0.5 seconds.

I got a strong entry into the final turn, V-shaped middle and drove off strong. @Harsk100 was on a great line and holding huge speed. He hit the apex slightly too hard! The car shimmied away and scrubbed sideways, going half onto the sand at the exit!

The different in exit speed was just enough for me to regain the lead as we crossed the line. To keep 1st place I had to keep my nerve and not mess up sector 2. The lap was far from perfect but it was good enough, under pressure with slightly worn tyres. The timer ticked down to 0 just a few seconds before I crossed the line.

An unexpected win! If we had gone to another lap, I honestly don't think I could have held it all together. :nervous:

EDIT: Thank goodness I didn't get disconnected like last time I was leading.

Now that everyone knows my tuning adjustments, I look forward to being back in the mid-pack with lots of overtaking at the next round! :lol:

Last edited:
Great racing tonight everyone:tup:

Max try Sick's tune, I have found my car handles a lot better using it:)

Most of the credit for that tune should go to @Zolon32 - I partnered his suspension settings with my brake bias and Limited Slip Differential settings. I know that some people use an open Diff (5 / 5 / 5) or similar, but my theory is that in order to drive forwards, rather than sideways on these slippery tyres, wheel users need a strong diff setting hence 12 / 30 / 25 which puts force onto both wheels. My theory is that DS3 users can get incredible speed out of the car on open diff settings because they can more easily save the car when it is very sideways. I find the wheel can't be moved quick enough to recover the car when it goes beyond a certain point (however it obviously takes incredible skill and perfect timing to be able to do this with a DS3).

I did a couple of practise sessions at the weekend using one of the races in the game - from memory International B contains a 10 minute race at Willow Springs, which is quite enjoyable and earn 83,000 credits. The AI cars are at 530PP on Sports Hard and for me the Toyota was quite well matched - faster drivers like Ben and Harsk would need to use the power limiter to get a more competitive race.

I also did a few practise sessions in the Jaguar XJ13 - you can practise for Shelby v Chevy in the International A Dream Car Willow Springs Race. The AI cars are up to 700PP on Race Hard. I wasn't able to win, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

The practising paid off and I did quite well in the Qualification Race - until the first corner where I spun off and rejoined in last place. After concentrating hard I managed to claw my way back to second to last place.

I got a good start in the Feature Race, despite having to back off to avoid hitting a slow starting car in front on the grid. As people slip off into the scenery I found myself in a respectable seventh place and lapping about three seconds slower than @BenMillard and @Harsk100 who were setting a blistering pace. Sutsagrd recovered and his pass was inevitable - I tried to stay with him, but this led to a spin and while recovering a pass from SimbaLora. I was unable to regain my former rhythm and lapped an extra second slower for the rest of the race with the result that Sutsagrd and SimbLora vanished into the distance, but fortunately I was able to stay ahead of Buybon, John and Max for a safe ninth place.

Round 9 Points.jpg

Last edited:
I know that some people use an open Diff (5 / 5 / 5) or similar, but my theory is that in order to drive forwards, rather than sideways on these slippery tyres, wheel users need a strong diff setting hence 12 / 30 / 25 which puts force onto both wheels.
Open diff would be 0 0 0 and 5 5 5 actually has quite an effect. With a truly open diff, the inside rear would spin on every corner exit, at any speed. Daytona was giving me a little inside wheel slip at 5 5 5 but was cured by simply going 5 6 5 that's how big an effect these numbers produce!

Harsk was using my 5 6 5 tune and it was making the outside rear tyre slip at Willow Springs: Big Willow corner exits. Going 5 5 5 balanced the grip again for me. A stiffer diff would prevent both tyres working in my ultra soft, reverse rake, TRL seasonal event style setup.

Pimiki uses a strong reverse rake setup but probably has stiffer springs and dampers to make it less twitchy with a wheel. He shared some ideas about his tune after Daytona, I think. You would need to see the whole tune for everything to balance out though, it looks quite extreme!

LSD 10 5 5 or 10 5 15 might work for wheel users. (Replace 5 with 6 at slower tracks.) Check the lower left corner of the screen and see which tyres go orange first, at different stages of the corner.

Brake bias and how you blend off the pedal (or R2 in my case) affects initial túrn-in massively. 5 5 was great at Daytona with the heavy braking around quite tightly curved approach sections. Willow Springs has much straighter braking zones. But I needed to adjust speed quite deep in the turns at times. So I went 3 5 to avoid over-loading the front tyres when correcting mid-corner.

Brake bias 8 4 at Laguna and Madrid worked best for me as I was struggling to control the car. That might help wheel users keep stability at initial turn-in. You can turn the wheels more than DS3 and possibly over-steer the car while it is loaded forward.

My theory is that DS3 users can get incredible speed out of the car on open diff settings because they can more easily save the car when it is very sideways. I find the wheel can't be moved quick enough to recover the car when it goes beyond a certain point (however it obviously takes incredible skill and perfect timing to be able to do this with a DS3).
If we were snap counter-steering with DS3 all the time, we would lose several seconds a lap on CM tyres. That's how I drove much of the season so I know it's slow. :lol:

Prevention is better than cure.

Check our replay in chase view around the long right at turn 2. Make sure all instruments are shown. We are playing with 75% to 90% throttle and tiny adjustments to steering. Check the driver's left arm through the rear window. We aren't steering to the left, we are pushing the steering stick 75% to 100% to the right.

With that said, we only have about 1cm of movement to go 0% to 100% throttle. Or from straight wheel to edge of front tyre grip. So we make mistakes that probably could not be recovered with a steering wheel. Simply because it's hard to position both thumbs that precisely for 20 minutes at a time.

The fastest wheel users in seasonal events and racing car GTP series use basically the same tune as DS3 players. @MadMax was on my Madrid pace using my Laguna tune using wheel. He suggested the rear toe increase in my Willow tune and that helps settle the car on acceleration. Perhaps 0.25 instead of 0.12 might work for wheel.

Hope to see a bit more "sharing tips and information" from the wheel users. 👍

Back