Welp, Nurburgring just got announced.

You using a wheel or controller? I use the controller and just cannot be that smooth with it, it is just too jerky for me. I hardly move it and it seems the car jumps and it is just magnified with the faster cars. This is one area that I really prefer GT, it seems their steering logarithm for the controller is much less touchy.

@vwpilot I am using the Thrustmaster TX wheel, but I can do the same on the controller. Have you adjusted the games controller deadzones? Setting the steering inside deadzone to 0, and the outside deadzone to 100 really helps with the amount of control on a gamepad. It is also a good idea to do the same with the throttle and brake as well.

You using a wheel or controller? I use the controller and just cannot be that smooth with it, it is just too jerky for me. I hardly move it and it seems the car jumps and it is just magnified with the faster cars. This is one area that I really prefer GT, it seems their steering logarithm for the controller is much less touchy.
That can be alleviated to some degree by messing with the steering dead zones. I'm guessing you are using simulation steering though, that is something that I recommend not using if you are on a pad.

EDIT: didnt know you already had a reply, whoops. I think the brake is necessary, its just way to black/white at default. I havnt tried the throttle, but i've been fairing well without messing with that. I'll give it a try later and see how that goes.

Sim steering on the pad is just a nice learning curve. Definitely can't take too many liberties, but it feels really nice when it goes right.

VXR
Sim steering on the pad is just a nice learning curve. Definitely can't take too many liberties, but it feels really nice when it goes right.
I wouldnt doubt it. I, however, like to time-attack and hot lap so I never really saw it as an advantage if I wanted to set the fastest times I can.

I've adjusted the dead zones to 0-100, I have tried using both normal and simulation steering and use normal. I just do not find it easy to make any fine adjustments or find balance when doing sweeping turns. When you watch my replays you can see the car jerking right and left because I just cannot get it right. Long turns I can not find a balance, its push just a little and its too much, let off just a little and its too little. I was better with F4, but still found it much easier with GT.

Every now and then I get it right, but I find it too hard to do consistently. I can end up posting ok times, usually 2-4% with the 1% here and there, I have no dreams of being a top 100 guy, I just find it irritating and it sometimes make driving a drag. As I said, I'm fine up through A, good with many S cars, but once I get above that, I find it very difficult and takes any fun out of using the higher end cars, which I'd really like to.

There also seems to be some kind of adjustment the game does automatically. Sometimes when I'm in a long turn and have the stick pushed all the way and am trying to control the steering using throttle, all of a sudden the wheel will turn more and the car darts to the inside. It doesnt seem to stay static.

I've adjusted the dead zones to 0-100, I have tried using both normal and simulation steering and use normal. I just do not find it easy to make any fine adjustments or find balance when doing sweeping turns. When you watch my replays you can see the car jerking right and left because I just cannot get it right. Long turns I can not find a balance, its push just a little and its too much, let off just a little and its too little. I was better with F4, but still found it much easier with GT.

Every now and then I get it right, but I find it too hard to do consistently. I can end up posting ok times, usually 2-4% with the 1% here and there, I have no dreams of being a top 100 guy, I just find it irritating and it sometimes make driving a drag. As I said, I'm fine up through A, good with many S cars, but once I get above that, I find it very difficult and takes any fun out of using the higher end cars, which I'd really like to.
I think the fact that its just not what you are used to is what you are explaining(EDIT:well actually, you said you were better at FM4. I did have a feeling like I was relearning how to play again with this game), or skill level. Do you tune your car? or do you just put modifications on it and leave it as is? I have no problem finding balance, but I only use normal steering. I'm no top 100 guy either, but I'm definitely not slow. I'm leaning more toward your finesse with the control, because 2-4% times can be relatively low on the leaderboard. Hell all my times are in 1% and I'm ranking anywhere from 1000-3000

There also seems to be some kind of adjustment the game does automatically. Sometimes when I'm in a long turn and have the stick pushed all the way and am trying to control the steering using throttle, all of a sudden the wheel will turn more and the car darts to the inside. It doesnt seem to stay static.
I have not encountered this, I'll check it out next time I'm on.

Go ahead and add me and I'll check out your replays and maybe I can see what your talking about. Add me "LimarobotL"

Last edited:
It is just finesse with the controller, that is what I have a hard time with.

When I used to play GT, I had no problem or complaints.

I found FM4 to be worse than GT but got used to it.

When I got FM5, I found it to be very difficult. I recently went back and played a few races with FM4 and found it instantly easier to control. Went back to FM5 and had difficulty.

I dont upload replays so no need to go there, I do tune my cars and generally tune them to understeer a bit as I find that easier to control with the new controller. I also think that T10 are unrealistic with some of their physics, I've driven several cars in the game at speed and they do not oversteer nearly as much as in game. Of course, that could also be the steering issue coming into play as just barely moving the stick sometimes feels like jerking a wheel to full lock at speed, which is never good.

The best example of having difficulty is the carousel turn at Road America. On FM4, I have no issue finding the right spot on the controller to take that turn smoothly and when it tightens near the end, I can easily ease on the steering or off the throttle to keep a smooth exit that goes right out to the rumble strip.

In FM5, I'm jerking through that turn, I cannot find the sweet spot, I'm either giving too much or too little input and the car is going back and forth through the turn from inside edge of track to outside edge.

I dont know if its a just a different logarithm in FM5 or what it is, just finding it much harder.

Anyway, we've gotten off topic, just something I've noticed and wonder if a wheel would help and if its a little less sensitive than the controller sticks.

Easier said than done, because Motorsport has to be rock solid 60FPS again.

They have one extra year of development (at least) to make it happen, and they don't need to load a game area as big as Horizon's (not to mention the lack of traffic, etc.).

They have one extra year of development (at least) to make it happen, and they don't need to load a game area as big as Horizon's (not to mention the lack of traffic, etc.).

Where are they getting this one extra year?

Forza 6 comes out next year.

Exactly. I don't think much work would be needed (because again, Motorsport has a shorter draw distance and has to render a lot less objects), but I guess that if they want they can get rain and a day/night cycle running at 60fps in a year. After all, Playground Games's Ralph Fulton talked about how they're debuting this new system, which apparently won't be exclusive to Horizon but may also be adopted by Forza Motorsport.

Well, only time will tell, I guess.

In fairness, next year goes all the way to December 31st, 2015 so given today's date is June 23rd, 2014, his statement wasn't exactly off the mark depending on when Turn 10 has FM6 ready, not to mention you would be silly to think work has not already begun on it probably as early as late 2013 or early 2014.

Here you go, somethink I've work really hard this week, a homage to the Ring in all Forza Motorsports, including a mix video with real-time comparations :)

Sorry for the few technical problems, including a few mispellings...I hope you like it though!

The mix video:

¡Buenas curvas! I missed out on FM1 but from the looks of this video it was a pretty amazing game. How did you get the original Xbox to output in widescreen Jorge? Is there an option in the game?

Last edited:
TBH, I'm not really sure. A friend of mine also wondered that. I connect both my 360 and my One to my PC via Capture Card with a HDMI cable, that's the only difference I can see between any other setup...

And yes, FM1 is amazing! Too bad I wasn't able to buy it when it was new, since I didn't own the original X-Box, but after reviewing all 5 games, I would say FM1 still carries the most part of the DNA Forza was born with, it's sad how FM2 lost more things than gained...

I think FM2 as superior to both 3 and 4, best multiplayer racing game on 360 for years.

I've enjoyed every Forza game for what it was. I don't recall any of them being a dissapointment. I bought the orignal Forza when it was new and I loved it. You can still play it on the 360, its backwards compatible but the audio has some minor glitches. I knew from the original Forza that Gran Turismo had a serious contender. Each version of Forza has improved some things and lost some things, nothing new there.

TBH, I'm not really sure. A friend of mine also wondered that. I connect both my 360 and my One to my PC via Capture Card with a HDMI cable, that's the only difference I can see between any other setup...
You can still play it on the 360, its backwards compatible but the audio has some minor glitches.
Thanks, that explains the widescreen output.

Back