What are performance points?

From the Kaz tweets thread here midway down a guy by the name of SHIRAKAWA Akira who is a reputable Kaz tweet translator has said it is being mentioned in his tweets. It will be included in the update coming the 18th. There is no structure/functions source for this implementation. I'm sure a little searching would bring up GT5P's

I can find a shed load of references to GT5P, but PP is too short a phrase term... I have indeed tried a number of search permutations but to no avail.

Here's hoping it's definitely in!

EDIT: Found his reference to PP, it's on page 87 of the Kaz Tweets thread (blimey!), rather than page 44 as linked.

SHIRAKAWA Akira
From what I read the PP system is also supposed to come back on next update.
But I hope the update will be more than just this and that B-spec GT anywhere thing.

EDIT: Found his reference to PP, it's on page 87 of the Kaz Tweets thread (blimey!), rather than page 44 as linked.
That would be my bad, I have it showing 40 posts per page which skews the pages different for me and you. Sorry about that

Seems that PP points from GT5p are coming in the next update... I just want to ask, does incorporating this system mean that one will be able to REMOVE upgrades now?

One of the things that frustrates me is, once you have made some of the upgrades, they can't be removed. So, if you have x car at y hp, now you go online, there's a race for x car at 20 less hp (or 200 less hp!), and you can't participate. There's rarely enough time before a race to go BUY another x car and upgrade it to the required level (even if you were dumb enough to want to do that) before the race is over, so, there goes your race.

So... will PP system bring back DE-tuning your car?

You can 'de-tune' your car now; especially if you installed all 3 mufflers; turbo ranges, etc. You can reduce your HP to enter a limited HP race online; you just can not de-tune engine upgrades! So you can go back to stock settings if you want (except engine improvements)

All I can say is "Good for PD"...the PP aspect of GT5P was the best online feature...hopefully it will include 'auto-rooms' that will load up on a regular basis based on PP and allow for quick race organization, as GT5P did...

Not at the price of giving up private rooms, however....

No need for 'auto rooms'; create your own public room with PP parameters (when available); or right now create your private room with friends who have the same racing competition goal (stock; race modded; tuned; aero-tuned) 👍

Last edited:
I welcome the idea of PP since in real life they are used for many forms of automotive racing. I do NOT think this will work if PD is simply adding the feature now since it would require more than just tires, weight and HP.

As stated before we would require ballasts or the ability to add weight back onto the car. This isn't even an option now, I don't see it as one in the future.

Secondly we can't even save profiles. Many gearheads (including myself) can easily spend days tuning for corner weight and weight distribution properties. We can't even change the PSI per tire?!? Unless the weight being added is just tacked in overall that's just a poor option.

There is also the question of upgrades and how that can affect the PP. If I recall in the GT Auto section getting rims on premiums states that you get the benefits of a lightened rim; what about the standard cars where we don't have that option?

I am critical of this game because it can be so much better as a driving simulator. It can be a great racing simulator IF they had already sorted this mess out before releasing it.

PP would allow many of us to race with skill vs. an OP machine. Most if the lobbies that I frequent will choose a weight and HP limit and race against each other; nevermind the guy who brought in a JGTC or whatnot.

PP is a great idea. It's just too late in this game and given GT5s track record will only murky the waters instead of clearly it.

I will like the idea of PP if it's just an additional pull down menu that can be selected in Online. I will dislike it if it replaces the current system of being able to restrict by power, weight, tires, etc. IOW, it could be a great compliment but by itself raises alot of balance questions.

PP isn't perfect, but it's better then nothing. It just better be in addition to current options and not at the expense of. Hopefully this will also lead to online seasonal events like GT5P had where you entered a 700pp on X track and raced against others.

I too didn't play GT5P but based off what earlier posters and threads have been saying, I'm guessing PP will affect online "shuffle racing" the most.

As an avid shuffle racer the one complaint from a first timer is why do we get this slow and crappy car here or can you increase the HP ratio. I've hoped the update would enhance shuffle racing the most as it seemed to be a very unrefined aspect added to the online environment.

Hope this is just for online because i really do enjoy grinding on aspec with the x2010

Adding a PP measurement can only be good, even if it will not be perfect.

If just added as a performance limiter of online, like wieght/HP is today, it just gives another possibility for interesting racing. If you don't like it, turn the PP limitier to max, and its the same as we have today.

A-spec is so increadibly boring without a perfromance limiter. If a PP is set right for each event, I couls see myself going back and redo them. Just as the first seasonal events was really fun. The following became just a creadit collection thing.

What would be really good is if together with a PP system made it possible to vary the weight/HP my lets say +/- 5%. Today the aero setting is a now brainer as there is no PP or speed pemalty to put it on max. If a PP system the aero tuning will get into the decision equation again. Tuning your car would be much more interesting.

Looking forward to the PP system nomatter how its implemented.

I think it has a lot of potential. I look forward to some high power vs low weight races.

It's easy to worry about balance issues, but that's not really the point of racing a field of different cars. When you race with different cars you're finding the fastest car/driver combination within the limits of the regulations. Part of racing in real life is developing the fastest car within the rules of whatever series you competing in. It'll be the same here. Some cars will emerge as the best at certain PP levels, in the same way they do in the time trials. That'll be annoying for skillful drivers, where fractions of a second count, when they're looking for an interesting field of cars to race in, but I'm nowhere near consistent enough for that to matter. So I'm alright. :-)

Same-car races are the way to test driver skill in isolation, by the way.

Grinders and dupers are very disturbed by this patch...

Why would they be , can you explain what you mean ? Why would Power Points affect anyone duping or grinding, when grinding is just playing the game constantly for xp gain in either A or B-Spec. What are you on about ? Power points would only mean you compete against the AI in a less powerful car but it is still capable of winning. So where is there any credit in your comment ?

Why would they be , can you explain what you mean ? Why would Power Points affect anyone duping or grinding, when grinding is just playing the game constantly for xp gain in either A or B-Spec. What are you on about ? Power points would only mean you compete against the AI in a less powerful car but it is still capable of winning. So where is there any credit in your comment ?

Because PP points may alter the balance of grinding doing it a little harder, and the "large savegame patch" may affect duping.
Yes, two big "may", I know :sly:

jaycee_xr3 :- Because PP points may alter the balance of grinding doing it a little harder, and the "large savegame patch" may affect duping.
Yes, two big "may", I know

Power points are for use online as i understand it like they were in GTP not in A-Spec or B-Spec races, as for large game saves files brought about by reading musuem cards that then somehow attached itself to the game save file , you imply that fixing this "bug" will now effect "gifting" cars. Ok i see thank you for clearing that up.

jaycee_xr3 :- Because PP points may alter the balance of grinding doing it a little harder, and the "large savegame patch" may affect duping.
Yes, two big "may", I know

Power points are for use online as i understand it like they were in GTP not in A-Spec or B-Spec races, as for large game saves files brought about by reading musuem cards that then somehow attached itself to the game save file , you imply that fixing this "bug" will now effect "gifting" cars. Ok i see thank you for clearing that up.

I think you're mixing your inferences and then trying to produce some biting sarcasm for a big finish. You're also mixing Gifting functionality up with the act of Duping.

From the previous posts I think that people are saying;

a) IF a PP limit were imposed on A-Spec races it could make current grinding techniques impossible
b) Dupers may find their activities thwarted by the 1.06 patch (possibly as part of the large savegame part of the patch)

We don't code for PD, we don't know exactly HOW the patch will affect the program source... but the assumptions are perfectly reasonable.

Ok so trying to figure out exactly what is going on with the performance points. I didn't play GT4 so this is new to me. It appears that the system for rating this is either severely flawed, or I'm just being a noob. I have several models of cars that I own two of... and the performance points are way off. Couple of examples... Fully tuned max mod 2008 Dodge Viper ACR 303 mi 1031hp/1257kg - 635 PP. No tune max mod 2008 Dodge Viper ACR 0 mi (yes zero) 999hp/1257kg - 682 PP. No tune max mod 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe 194 mi 1012hp/1268kg 719 PP!!!! WTF? Fully tuned max mod 2009 Corvette Zr1 RM 495 mi 905hp/1100 kg - 671 PP. No tune max mod 2009 Corvette Zr1 (NO RM) 141 mi 899hp/1221kg - 711 PP. WTF? Obviously a pattern sticks out... tuned cars decrease in performance points over stock settings. Is this jacked, am I just being a noob, or what?

Does performance points win me anything? Or is it just a number saying how awesome my car is?

Good question. I don't know yet as I haven't been able to go on GT5 since the new update but I am pretty sure it's like a quick tune. For beginners like me 👍

I had a feeling this would be an issue just simply because of the millions of variables available in A spec cars. was fine in prologue and worked great.

I have 8 X1s and they all have the same HP and weight, but there are 3 different PP values among them. WTF?
My FGT collection is even more skewed on PP, where HP and weight are identical.

I have 8 X1s and they all have the same HP and weight, but there are 3 different PP values among them. WTF?
My FGT collection is even more skewed on PP, where HP and weight are identical.

I believe down force, tires, HP and weight all have something to do with the pp values. Make sure that they are exactly alike in all areas before making conclusions.

DAVE

Tires made no difference with my X1s. The aero was what made the difference.
It appears that 999 is the max though, as the number went up to there, but additional enhancements made no increase over 999.

Back