What are performance points?

I suspect the "total" conditioin of you car will have bearing on the PP value.
most likely cars that you own/use (especially tuned ones) may have to be broken down (upgrades removed) and then re-installed in order to become more compliant withe the new measurments.

For example, if you have stage 2 trubo installed. After the update, remove said trubo, and re-install. Perhaps that will affect the points. Just a thought, I have no idea what is actually going on.

However, this much is true. These cars have quite a few variables built into them.
One of which is mechinacal wear. Think about it. That along with other things could very well affect how points are applied.

As far as other changes, I love the gears ratio being adjustable once again. And the fact that most racers will be on an level playing field. Driving skills will make a difference not just stuffing all the power upgrade you can find into a car.

Hopefully something has been done to discourage idot drivers. You know, the jerks who ram, and cut off people. Who play the game like it's bumper cars.
The people you hope are not behind the wheel of a real every day.
Please Kaz, banish them to archade mode.....forever.

One question for me? What will happen when the cars are actually updated to preimum? If you already have a standard car that you have tuned, and that is one of the cars that is updated. Whats gonna happen to your ride?

Before we condem the changes, let's see what they are or are not first.
Yamauchi San is a pretty cool dude. And he's trying to make it better.
Thats more than I see a lot of other CEO's doing.

PP=useless IMHO. I dunno but i find it kind of hard to believe people could not equally match their cars for online play...

2 days ago i made a lounge and raced the Tokyo R246, i had my Ferrari California and 1 other guy with a Toms Supra joined the lounge. i waited a couple mins and nobody else joined so i started the race, the whole race (5 laps) we were VERY closely matched neither one of us being able to make any significant ground on the other.
I ended up pushing my car beyond its limits and went wide of the racing line on the last bend just before the home straight and lost by a nose...

that was before this useless PP addition, and if a rank armature like me can make, find and join races with others that are evenly matched...what does this say for the online community...

I'm sorry but i just don't see the point of it and i find it annoying, i wouldn't have minded the option to turn it off.

I have 8 X1s and they all have the same HP and weight, but there are 3 different PP values among them. WTF?
My FGT collection is even more skewed on PP, where HP and weight are identical.

It isn't calculated purely on tyre/weight/hp, tune has a lot to do with it. A LOT.

This is totally out of wack??

I thought the point of a pp system is that if two cars have similiar numbers, they should produce similiar lap times on a balanced track?

oh my game the GTR Spec V is one point less than a go kart and only one point above a 69's corvette.......how is that possible?

I also have two S2000s, both stock but one had been run in and thus has 7 hp more, however it somehow has 7 less pp?

PP=useless IMHO. I dunno but i find it kind of hard to believe people could not equally match their cars for online play...

2 days ago i made a lounge and raced the Tokyo R246, i had my Ferrari California and 1 other guy with a Toms Supra joined the lounge. i waited a couple mins and nobody else joined so i started the race, the whole race (5 laps) we were VERY closely matched neither one of us being able to make any significant ground on the other.
I ended up pushing my car beyond its limits and went wide of the racing line on the last bend just before the home straight and lost by a nose...

that was before this useless PP addition, and if a rank armature like me can make, find and join races with others that are evenly matched...what does this say for the online community...

I'm sorry but i just don't see the point of it and i find it annoying, i wouldn't have minded the option to turn it off.

you didn't matched up the cars, you just happen to have unmatched cars that balanced out the mismatch between you two's skill level.

We never knew exactly how PP was calculated in Prologue, and we won't ever know exactly how it's calculated in GT5 (my prediction)

But we do know that for the things we can adjust it's weight, aero, power curve, and tires. Maybe other non-adjustable variables.

Changing Tyres on my Ferrari 458 doesn't change PP (well, in the menu, at least)

Changing Tyres on my Ferrari 458 doesn't change PP (well, in the menu, at least)

Seems to be a bug in the new system. If you change tires the PP does change. You just don't see it in the menu until you change something else or exit.

Is there any point in this PP system? ... it doesnt really make any difference does it?

All i know is when i buy parts i have to wait an extra second for the PP change to go to BHP change :/

What's REALLY weird is that if you sort your garage by PP then a brand new X2010, 0 miles, that needs an oil change ie. down on HP...

...has a HIGHER PP than one with 0 miles and an oil change, or one that has been run in a few hundred miles!!

The 1.06 upgrade gives us several real improvements (ballast, power restrictions, camera position choice in online replays (for judging race incidents)).

Unfortunately, PP is a missed chance.
I'm preparing a production car Group N competition:
- only normal cars (no race, RM, concept, etc.)
- max 246 BHP; 1200 kg; hard sports tires

I tested 7 or 8 cars on Cape Ring inside: they all are very close: about 1 second difference between the fastest and the slowest. But in PP, there are serious differences and the fastest car has a lower PP than several other cars of the group.

Other problem: I took a stock BMW of 432 PP and a Group N prepared Audi S3 with the same PP. On Deep Forest, the Audi was 3.5 seconds faster than the Audi.

Conclusion: if you want to create equality of chances for online races, use tire, power and weight restrictions, but not PP restrictions.

The 1.06 upgrade gives us several real improvements (ballast, power restrictions, camera position choice in online replays (for judging race incidents)).

Unfortunately, PP is a missed chance.
I'm preparing a production car Group N competition:
- only normal cars (no race, RM, concept, etc.)
- max 246 BHP; 1200 kg; hard sports tires

I tested 7 or 8 cars on Cape Ring inside: they all are very close: about 1 second difference between the fastest and the slowest. But in PP, there are serious differences and the fastest car has a lower PP than several other cars of the group.

Other problem: I took a stock BMW of 432 PP and a Group N prepared Audi S3 with the same PP. On Deep Forest, the Audi was 3.5 seconds faster than the Audi.

Conclusion: if you want to create equality of chances for online races, use tire, power and weight restrictions, but not PP restrictions.

It's not that cut and dry.....

My Race Modded Vett is faster on the Indy track on Race Hard tires vs. Race Soft.... why?

Because the grip is so intense with the Race Softs....I can't accelerate all the way through the corner, despite being floored - the extreme grip still scrubs off speed. While the Racing Hard compound slips more, allowing me to actually accelerate through the corner (vs. scrubbing speed) which equals to a second or two faster lap times easy.

Also, is that S3 AWD? If so I'm not surprised you were able to edge out a RWD on a tight circuit like that - if you were able to take advantage of it's acceleration out of the many corners.

It's not that cut and dry.....

My Race Modded Vett is faster on the Indy track on Race Hard tires vs. Race Soft.... why?

Because the grip is so intense with the Race Softs....I can't accelerate all the way through the corner, despite being floored - the extreme grip still scrubs off speed. While the Racing Hard compound slips more, allowing me to actually accelerate through the corner (vs. scrubbing speed) which equals to a second or two faster lap times easy.

Also, is that S3 AWD? If so I'm not surprised you were able to edge out a RWD on a tight circuit like that - if you were able to take advantage of it's acceleration out of the many corners.

I agree with you. Very good explanation of the tyre parameters and a nice example in the case of the Indy track. Shows how the sticky track tyres would slow you down on say Indy as you mentioned. Good point! Also as you say things are not that 'black & white'. Depends on the track design in conjunction with what cars are used...

So I have 3 Citroen GT by Citroen Race Cars... 2 that were bought, 1 that was won in B-Spec. All 3 are 0 miles. The 2 that were bought are identically modded: 3 compounds of race tires, 3 compounds of sports tires and a high rpm turbo. The third has 3 compounds of race tires and a high rpm turbo. The third has a PP of 702, the other 2 have 651. Hmmmm...

you didn't matched up the cars, you just happen to have unmatched cars that balanced out the mismatch between you two's skill level.

Nothing to do with skill level, neither one of us were smashing into the barriers and accelerating out of the bends neither one could make up any ground on the other, even slip-streaming failed to give either one of us any benefit so closely matched were the cars. i tried to make up ground on the last bend by braking late but misjudged and pushed to hard. the other racer started creeping up on me because he held the line and as i said, he beat me by a nose....i could have played dirty and blocked him but but don't consider that very sporting. i would rather loose a match that close than win with "dirty" tactics.....

PS, I hope PD give us an "off" button for this ****e, or at least have both values separate, i REALLY HATE this alternating value.

Just to throrw this out seemed like the right forum to post in.

Gran Turismo needs to be able to search in online lobby based on PP when available. It just makes life so easy :D

Back