What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,315 comments
Hah, double jalapeño cheese piece of crap White Castle

B74B8F11-E108-4D92-8753-64CC987B1E1F.jpeg

Last weekend I bought 48 cans of Dr Pepper (tax-free across the border) because I had fond memories of trying it. Anyway, I just had one but cannot decide whether I like it. Some sips are ok while other sips taste like something way past its expiration date. Cannot wrap my head around it.

I used to consume litres of Dr. Pepper daily. I haven’t had one for years. Now I want one again but they’re so expensive here.

Made a version of Johnny Chiodini's Rainy Day Special Mega Beef Bowl from Persona 4, but I subbed out the beef for a chicken breast and onion.

Last edited:
I’ve never tried a mead. What’s it like?
Very sweet and high in alcohol. There are a lot of fake Meads which are just alcohol drinks flavoured with honey.

The mead I drink is Moniack, it’s based on an old recipe.

I find it very comforting drink and perfect for autumn and winter in the UK.

Last edited:
Could never find this on the west coast. I move to the east coast and it’s in every mom and pop store.
it’s a world class pale ale deserving of it status in the beer world.
Ive been through several sixers in the past month.

Attachments

• 42C5F497-C3F4-4256-B6FE-8E9C489C35F9.jpeg
    42C5F497-C3F4-4256-B6FE-8E9C489C35F9.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
This is what you get when you can’t read Spanish menus at a Mexican food truck outside an auto salvage parts shop.

567D82EE-779E-4A1A-87EE-70AC223B4548.jpeg

It was (I thinka Torta with fried porksteak, hotdog, avocado, Mexican cheese, etc… one of the most horrendous foods I’ve ever had.

That said, since I was in San Fran for a bit, I went to El Farolito and got a proper burrito goodbye.

D11630DD-379A-48D4-B41F-7A73CBF96248.jpeg

FE350534-6110-49F3-B111-13DA64992AA1.jpeg

****ing IMMENSE.

Also Mexican food truck fare, however I deliberately ordered a couple of lengua tacos and a hibiscus agua fresca. Plus a sparkling water from a machine in the building.

Also Mexican food truck fare, however I deliberately ordered a couple of lengua tacos and a hibiscus agua fresca. Plus a sparkling water from a machine in the building.
What you got sounds infinitely better.

I was so excited when I got the sandwich. I hadn’t eaten until the afternoon that day. I picked it up and the paper plate bent from the heft.

I bit into it and it just taste greasy. I hate to waste food, but I threw the rest away after struggling with it for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Lengua is good stuff. Cabeza and tripas are also good stuff. I tried ordering in Spanish one time at the food truck that I have had all three of those at and it did not go well. I tried, messed up and the kind lady thought I knew more Spanish than I know, and I quickly changed back to English.

Was the sparkling water a Topo Chico? I miss Topo Chico. I basically have not seen any in months.

What you got sounds infinitely better.

I was so excited when I got the sandwich. I hadn’t eaten until the afternoon that day. I picked it up and the paper plate bent from the heft.

I bit into it and it just taste greasy. I hate to waste food, but I threw the rest away after struggling with it for 20 minutes.
I have never had a torta, but it is not something I have really ever had the desire to order from a taco truck.

Last edited:
Lengua is good stuff. Cabeza and tripas are also good stuff. I tried ordering in Spanish one time at the food truck that I have had all three of those at and it did not go well. I tried, messed up and the kind lady thought I knew more Spanish than I know, and I quickly changed back to English.
That's not bad, better than the time I ordered a Spanish omelette and got a spinach omelette. It was before work, so I just enjoyed my spinach. I probably wouldn't have changed it either way.

Was the sparkling water a Topo Chico? I miss Topo Chico. I basically have not seen any in months.
No name. There's a dispenser in the cafeteria at work.

I enjoy basically all taco fillings so long as they're prepared well. Tripas and buche can be hit and miss from trucks, but lengua, cabeza and cachete are often just as good as your carnitas and pastor.

Last edited:
A new branch of 'German Doner Kebab' opened this week right next to Glasgow Uni and in a very handy spot for a bite to eat after a few pints in the West End, so I thought I'd try it out for lunch today while it was quiet...

0_DonerKebab.jpg

I was a bit confused from the outset, however, as the girl on the till asked me 'Beef, chicken or mince?', and I literally thought she had misheard me when I asked for the 'German Doner Kebab' (their flagship product), and she repeated it more slowly as if I was a cretin, only for me to realise she said 'Beef, chicken or mix'. I was still a bit confused, since none of that is 'doner' in my book, and she explained that while most kebab shops use lamb, they only use beef or chicken. OK, so I got the 'mix'.

At £5.99, it's quite reasonably priced, but there's two major problems with it. 1. It isn't a doner kebab. Sorry, but beef and chicken ain't doner. I know most kebabs around where I am don't have any lamb in them either, but at least they taste and feel like doner meat, even if it is actually some unholy concoction of animal scrapings made to taste like lamb doner. 2. There's nowhere near enough meat. The 'Extra Meat £1.50' sign hints at the fact that there's not enough meat in the base model to start with.

So - not a doner, and not enough of it. Will it cut the mustard at £7.49 for an 'extra meat' version after a few pints? In a word, no way. £5.99 with the 'extra meat' in it, perhaps.

It was quite good for what it was, however, but having been to Berlin recently and sampled some real 'German Doner Kebabs', these are not in the same league, and by some distance.

Last edited:
I’m heading to German pub on Saturday, I’ll see if they can accommodate for a “doner”
If I want beef and chicken I’ll buy a burger & nuggets.
Lamb only for my cardiac arrest in a wrap, please.

In fact, the best kebab I’ve had was not in Europe, although I’ve had some mean kebab in Cyprus, but in Tokyo of all places.

Tonight my wife took pity on me and bought me a McDonald’s. I can’t even eat it as I’ve lost the use of my chew function. I had to wait for the fries to dissolve in my mouth and then try to swallow them. What a waste of the first fast food I’ve had in months. :(

Last edited:
@Touring Mars

Donër kebabs are one of my favorite foods.

The fact that it didn’t have meat bursting out of the bread is a shame. With the real ones, all the filings spilling out is enough to make another meal.

The things I’d do for a Donër right now…. :drool: Hopefully I can pay Berlin a visit next year.

@Touring Mars

Donër kebabs are one of my favorite foods.

The fact that it didn’t have meat bursting out of the bread is a shame. With the real ones, all the filings spilling out is enough to make another meal.

The things I’d do for a Donër right now…. :drool: Hopefully I can pay Berlin a visit next year.
Berlin is well worth a visit, some amazing bars and the kebabs are worth the visit alone. We did a couple of great pub/kebab crawls, and I would love to go back. My mate and I ended up in some Turkish place (there's quite a few...) in Kreuzberg, where he ordered 4 kebabs (for the two of us) and two enormous pastries for dessert (my mate's a fat bastard), and it was just a crazy amount of food, esp. for about 1 o'clock in the morning. We ended up with one entire kebab that we didn't touch, so took it with us and tried to give it to a homeless person (there's quite a few of those too...), but no-one would take it.

A really well done doner is something to behold, and even the chicken kebabs in Germany were excellent. I stumbled into a kebab place in Saarbrucken after a conference a few years back at about 1 am, only to find it had just opened that week. The guy behind the counter was the proud owner and gave me a guided tour of the place, while asking me my opinion on everything from the decor to the presentation of the chicken kebab he (eventually) made for me. He seemed genuinely happy to have a bona fide drunk Scotsman in his shop to sample his wares. It was amazing, although I must admit that most kebabs taste pretty good after the amount of beer I'd had that night. He asked me to tell everyone at the conference about his place, but alas it was the last day the following morning and everyone had gone by lunchtime.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back