What are you paying for fuel? **NOT AN AMERICA HAS CHEAP FUEL THREAD**

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joey D
  • 1,041 comments
  • 38,981 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the UK. Cheapest station near me is selling at roughly £1.06 per litre, which is currently $2.08 per litre.

One U.S. Gallon is 3.79 metric litres, so I'm currently paying $7.88 a gallon. Blimey. Could be worse, I live in the North of England. Fuel prices in London are much worse. UK fuel prices are expected to go up soon again because one of our only three refineries is closing.

I drive a 1300cc Ford Fiesta such as the one below (my car), and I currently average 45mpg (UK), which in U.S. gallons is 37.5mpg. My driving takes in around-town commuting and longer motorway journeys where I usually cruise at 80mph. I have managed 55mpg UK on a tank before, which works out as 45.8mpg US.

My car
n61206378_37289741_3336.jpg
 
Well, oil hit $126 a barrel this afternoon... I think thats for July delivery. Looks like $4+ a gallon seems like it will happen sooner than later in the mid-west.
 
It's $4.09 for premium around here already.
 
Regular is floating around 3.90-4.00, depending on where you go

Diesel is 4.50-4.60, and B99 is 4.79
 
Gas is sooo bad now that I've automatically, subconsciously started doing gas saving tactics...
 
New record : 1.66 EUR per litre = 2,57 $ per litre = 1,32 GBP per litre


9,72 US $ per gallon ( 6 GBP per British gallon )

Premium 100 Octan gas btw

Nice. Especially when driving an STi...
 
Once again it's hardly fair to convert it into USD since it keeps falling against the Euro.
 
Once again it's hardly fair to convert it into USD since it keeps falling against the Euro.

True, nevertheless the difference is huge. But I have to agree, that the price increase in the States is massive, if you consider that some time ago you only paid like what, 1,50 for a gallon ?

Also do not forget that the gas in Europe would be even more expensive if the Euro wasn't that strong... it's hard to mix that with currency conversion and get to a comparable result.

Whatever, this kinda sucks. Especially since most of the money I pay at the gas station are taxes. Could get it for half the prize, and the government still would get its share...
 
A year an a half ago, so January 07, the price for regular was $1.77 per gallon. Even then last summer prices were in the mid $2.00 range.
 
I'm currently paying €1.44 per litre here. For standard 95 octane gas, the 98 and/or premium is over €1.50, I don't even touch it.
"Kinda" sucks when you have a wage that, even being slightly above the average for the country, it's still less than €1000. So €150 every month, just for gas, IS a lot.

Plus, main oil companies around jack up the price the moment oil goes up, but even when it drops (use to drop, better said), they wouldn't touch the price, saying "we're still selling you the oil we bought at the more expensive price".

Bastards, they're increasing their profit by about 40% or 50% every semester (sp?) and they still give us crap like that.

Speaking of which, how much does each state/country/government takes on the gas you buy?

Over here, for every litre of gas I get on my car, 70% is taxes, nothing else. How about where you live?
 
Michigan takes 54.4 cents per gallon on petrol and 60.3 cents per gallon on diesel. This does not include the 18.4 cents per gallon on petrol or 24.4 cents per gallon on diesel the feds take.
 
In town: $3.56/gal
Closest station: $3.55/gal
Diesel: $4.09/gal

:crazy:
 
premium for me is like 4.09. its ridiculous. to get a full tank i pay like almost 50 bucks lol
 
$1.34 per liter in vancouver today for low grade.

that's ok, i only work to ensure that exxon and mobil set profit records.
 
to get a full tank i pay like almost 50 bucks lol

To get a full tank I pay the equivalent to around +100 bucks. Not-lol.
 
To get a full tank I pay the equivalent to around +100 bucks. Not-lol.

Full tank for that Fiesta at the top of the page for me is the equivalent of around $80 :indiff:
 
Diesel just hit 4.89

5 bucks a gallon is just around the corner
 
Once again it's hardly fair to convert it into USD since it keeps falling against the Euro.

Shouldn't our prices increase as well if the dollar keeps falling? Or does it falling mean that we are actually not paying as much as it looks like?

A year an a half ago, so January 07, the price for regular was $1.77 per gallon. Even then last summer prices were in the mid $2.00 range.

I'm glad we're using Alaska and Canadian oil. We're at $4.15 per gallon for premium in the Seattle area, up 20 cents in the last month. Up only 40 cents in the last year. Yay for relatively stable gas prices.

Michigan takes 54.4 cents per gallon on petrol and 60.3 cents per gallon on diesel. This does not include the 18.4 cents per gallon on petrol or 24.4 cents per gallon on diesel the feds take.

Washington only has to pay the federal tax on gas. Which means that what you guys are paying taxes included is roughly what we would be paying without taxes.
 
$4.10 a gallon yesterday. Mini fillups are ok considering my S gets 33-35 mpg. Trucks another story, V6 Quad cab Tacoma TRD, 17 mpg if im lucky, put premium in it the other day to test for MPG difference, about $62 for 15 ish gallons. Im drivin the cooper more :)
 
It's up to $3.99 now... FAIL
 
$3.86/G

I usually pay about $30 to fill up the tank for 6 gallons which usually gives me about 130 miles.
 
Shouldn't our prices increase as well if the dollar keeps falling? Or does it falling mean that we are actually not paying as much as it looks like?

Good question, I'm not sure.

Washington only has to pay the federal tax on gas. Which means that what you guys are paying taxes included is roughly what we would be paying without taxes.

I've always wondered why the west coast is so much more expensive then the east.

$4.10 a gallon yesterday. Mini fillups are ok considering my S gets 33-35 mpg. Trucks another story, V6 Quad cab Tacoma TRD, 17 mpg if im lucky, put premium in it the other day to test for MPG difference, about $62 for 15 ish gallons. Im drivin the cooper more :)

Aren't MINI's awesome :D
 
Shouldn't our prices increase as well if the dollar keeps falling? Or does it falling mean that we are actually not paying as much as it looks like?

They are increasing.
 
Shouldn't our prices increase as well if the dollar keeps falling? Or does it falling mean that we are actually not paying as much as it looks like?
I believe that is the main reason why it has shot up so much in the past two months.
 
I was referencing Joey's saying that the exchange rate makes comparing US and European gas prices difficult and I questioned that if their prices in USD are going way up because the dollar is falling that our prices should also be going up proportionally as the dollar falls.

If that wasn't why our prices are going up, then our gas would in fact be getting cheaper and all that other money we are paying at the pump would be going somewhere else.
 
Out of idle curiosity, why is the dollar falling?
 
Many reasons and you'll get many different answers. I personally think it was over valued to begin with.
 
well, now that, that question has been solved lets get into a broader view of it.

you might be able to get more vague by just saying: "because", but that would be rather difficult to pull off.
 
Out of idle curiosity, why is the dollar falling?

I think a major reason is the huge deficit that has been piling up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back