What are you watching?

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 4,841 comments
NCIS: New Orleans

I don't watch the show, but I just saw the opening to an episode the mumz is watching and didn't want to start a thread for this.
The episode kicks off with a Nissan Z chasing a Mustang on a closed track. Drivers talking back to each other on radio.
"Why you still on my bumper."
"'Cuz I'm drafting you."
This coincides with the cars cruising around a corner doing about 20mph.
"Not for long." The character suddenly realizes she has more throttle and decides to use it.
"What's wrong?" As she looks in the mirror.
"I can't brake!" This is said as the screen shows the cars accelerating out of a corner.
The characters all start showing their worry as he mashes on the brakes, even though the footage keeps showing them going down a long straight at about 40 tops, until suddenly he goes straight into a wall at the corner and flips through the air.
I just can't stand when drama tv shows try to have anything about cars or motor racing.

Sonic Boom.
Very underrated cartoon IMO especially since the games weren't that quite well recieved and Cartoon Network has tried hard so desperately to bury the show that it is now stuck on Boomerang.

Probably one of the most self aware shows today especially during Season 2. It knows its concept is stupid and Sonic has become nothing but memes at this point so it embraces while giving some brilliant political, society and life commentary without much bias to feel like there is a hidden agenda. It knows not to take itself seriously although it will change gears like when Sonic fights Metal Sonic and Shadow.

There are some really well written episodes too, the Robots in the Sky "arc" was one of the best multi-part episodes I've seen in awhile with a relatively nice twist for anyone who watch the entire series. They just had 2 episodes which were basically the same scenario but one was the perspective of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles on a road trip while another was the perspective Amy and Sticks staying back trying to have time to themselves with snippets of each others episode crossing over each other which I thought was brilliantly put together.

Voice acting I think is great, it is the same as the ones from Colours but I feel like the actors enjoy their roles by the way the play their characters, especially Mike Pollock as Eggman some episodes IMO are some of his greatest work.

Locked Up.
I'm watching it on all4, in the world drama section (Walter Presents). I'm around eight episodes in and it's really good.
Every show I've watched so far from Walter Presents' selections has been brilliant.
The original (Spanish) title is Vis A Vis.

The Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode "Mayhem of the Music Meister!" (yes, the exclamation point is necessary). It's just a fun musical episode.

Saints & Strangers, which is very interesting mini series. It tells the story of the Pilgrims, whom went to the New World in 1620, establishing New Plymouth.

Yesterday and today (saw the second and last episode about one hour ago), I immediately started to search for information about the true story and people, both Pilgrims and Native Americans. I tend to do this when I'm intrigued.

Finishing up a series I DVR'd a while back called America in Color. They colorized old video clips, home movies, etc. and go through historical events from the 1920's thru the 1960's, pretty cool series.

Tonight is the finale of S03 of Twin Peaks. The whole season was an insane rollercoaster, a well worthy successor of the original two seasons from 27 years ago. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this (and not in a bad way). Kyle MacLaghlan is absolutely brilliant, playing three different characters. Amazing stuff!

Tonight is the finale of S03 of Twin Peaks. The whole season was an insane rollercoaster, a well worthy successor of the original two seasons from 27 years ago. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this (and not in a bad way). Kyle MacLaghlan is absolutely brilliant, playing three different characters. Amazing stuff!

And how did that finale work out for you?

And how did that finale work out for you?
Absolutely mind-blowing. It was to be expected that we would be left with more questions than answers. If David Lynch wanted to make a piece of art that provokes emotions, he certainly succeeded; I was left with several at the same time after the finale. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pull something like this off on TV or on the big screen.

You watch the season too? How'd you like it?

Absolutely mind-blowing. It was to be expected that we would be left with more questions than answers. If David Lynch wanted to make a piece of art that provokes emotions, he certainly succeeded; I was left with several at the same time after the finale. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pull something like this off on TV or on the big screen.

You watch the season too? How'd you like it?

For the most part I thought S3 was properly incredible, it was riveting from the outset and highly emotional in places.

I can't lie though, as far as the finale goes, I didn't like how events unfolded after Laura had disappeared from the 1989 timeline. I don't need huge amounts of exposition, happy endings and fan-service pay-off, but I also don't think it was necessary to leave everybody with quite such a bleak, drawn out ending - especially when there were still quite a few other ways to provoke the viewers emotions already within the narrative of the story. I doubt anybody got anything from knowing that Jerry Horne was safe - but I'm sure most people wanted a few more clues as to Audrey's fate, for example.

I'll be disappointed if Mark Frost's Final Dossier is required reading in order to tie off major plot points. It should be supplemental, not fundamental.

.. but yeah, overall it's possibly the best thing that's been on TV ever, along with the first two series.

it was riveting from the outset and highly emotional in places.
The scene with the log lady saying the words "I'm dying" brought tears to my eyes.

As for the finale: I'm still stumped as to what really happened, there are so many theories and ways it can be interpreted. But I guess that's the whole point. I loved the way the finale was filmed/edited: some parts were deliberately slowed or reversed to give it that dreamy look. Kyle MacLaghlan's subtle changes in character also made you really doubt about who he really was in those final scenes. Or where. Or when. :lol:

The scene with the log lady saying the words "I'm dying" brought tears to my eyes.

As for the finale: I'm still stumped as to what really happened, there are so many theories and ways it can be interpreted. But I guess that's the whole point. I loved the way the finale was filmed/edited: some parts were deliberately slowed or reversed to give it that dreamy look. Kyle MacLaghlan's subtle changes in character also made you really doubt about who he really was in those final scenes. Or where. Or when. :lol:

Given Catherine Coulson's close working relationship with Lynch that must have been an absolute killer on set. Given the passing of Doc Hayward (Warren Frost), I also found Trumans line "keep fishing the sunny side of the river, doc." quite powerful, it kind of feels like a message written by Mark Frost to his father upon his passing.

As for what actually happened in the finale, I've only seen it once and I've not really had time to catch up on the theories out there.
I can kind of make sense of the final scenes, I think the where and the when is easy... it's Twin Peaks, and it's now - just in a world where not only was Laura never killed, but may have never existed... the confusing thing might be the who. I've got a feeling the link between Cooper and Diane, and Richard and Linda, and Laura and Carrie is maybe now the most significant thing. Did Special Agent Dale Cooper ever exist (now)!

I watched Five Came Back over this last weekend. I finished catching up on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. I have now started watching The League. I am up to the start of the fourth season. The show is fantastic. I have also started watching Bojack Horseman.

I have since finished The League. I stopped watching Bojack Horseman, but may pick it back up at some time. After finishing The League, I watched all of The Office (US) and started Happy Endings. I am a handful of episodes away from finishing Happy Endings.

I have also been watching Breaking Bad at a much more regular pace. I am about half way through the fourth season of the series. I should have it wrapped up in the next few weeks.

Will always be in my Top 5 films and always will have the best soundtrack of any film ever (Ennio Morricone ❤️)
CBF9A3DA-F95D-4939-A544-5FD5ECBBB5AA.jpeg

Currently going through all of the Quentin Tarintino movies that are on UK Netflix right now. Saw Pulp Fiction on Wednesday and just finished Kill Bill Vol.1 last night. Both of which were incredibly good, possibly up there as some of the greatest films I've ever seen. Will try and see either Kill Bill Vol.2 or Inglorious Basterds tonight.

I also finished Wynnona Earp Season 1 on Tuesday which was way better than I was expecting it to be.

Watched the second part of Channel 4's documentary Trump: An American Dream

Great series with interesting footage and testamonials from people who have come into contact with him over years, both enemies and friends. Most of the stuff is well known but its been put together really well.

Channel 4 has an obsession with the man! Been about 5 documentaries about him already.

Travelers. thousands of agents/soldiers from the future, assume the bodies of people, moments before they are about to die. All working to change the future, a future that has wiped out most of humanity. Just started on Episode 2. Seems pretty decent.

I joined Netflix after a couple years away and just finished GLOW. Narcos will be the next show I watch.

Travelers. thousands of agents/soldiers from the future, assume the bodies of people, moments before they are about to die. All working to change the future, a future that has wiped out most of humanity. Just started on Episode 2. Seems pretty decent.
Yeah, Travellers is well worth it, keeps you busy, though I liked Continuum more for that kind of story. Travellers second season is on now.

Just started Altered Carbon - that's one smoothly made and interesting future-look series. It will probably suffer from people moaning about the Blade Runner look to the ground level streets - I quite liked the nods to Brink or William Gibson's Virtual Light with a container city on the Golden Gate bridge.

EDIT: completed it now - very much inspired (in concept, at least) by Zelazny's Lord of Light.

Dark, a series from Germany is quite gripping and bloody well better get a second series.

Twelve Monkeys season three completed and that was excellent too.

Last edited:
Back