What are you watching?

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 4,832 comments
drop zone 1994.jpg

Not sure how accurate this is, he's still taking orders from Uncle Bill in the movie (sadly for the last time).

First Strike.jpg

Drunken Master (1978)

Screenshot_20220801-234632_Chrome.jpg

Dance Of The Drunk Mantis (1979)

DanceoftheDrunkMantis.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting to be discharged from the hospital, I am watching Battle Bots.

Did not know this show was still a thing.

This movie is off the charts insane. The pirated krautrock soundtrack just adds to the incredible atmosphere but I suspect we'll never see a remastered Western release as a result.

master_flying_guillotine.jpg

Hmm, I might need to go on a Jackie Chan and assorted old kung fu flicks marathon soon. Well, there goes my weekend. Thanks a lot, UKMikey! /shakesfist

In the meantime, I quite enjoyed:

Prey-movie-film-2022-Predator-prequel-Amber-Midthunder-poster.jpg

I'm fixing to watch Terminator Salvation, that one where the robots took over the world, and some of the scenery looked like it was in a desert. It was released in 2008 I believe.

Literally the best thing about that movie for me:

ezgif-2-380cbcdb45.gif

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
MV5BNjFiMWQ5ZGItMDk3ZS00ZTJhLTg4ZjQtM2MxYzhiMzY4MjU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

This is detailing the careers and relationship of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Ethan Hawke is the creator of the documentary and features prominently in it. The source material is from a series of audio tapes that Newman had collected over the years for a planned memoir about their lives that never happened. So he burned the tapes. However the tapes had been transcribed and one of Newman's children had given the box to Hawke. It's this huge box filled with interview after interview with a real who's who of Hollywood. Gore Vidal, Sidney Lumet, Elia Kazan, Newman's first wife Jackie McDonald, and many others.

This documentary appears to have mostly been made during Covid lockdown as Hawke is shown coordinating over Zoom with the people that will be the voices of the characters, ala Ken Burns style. George Clooney is Paul Newman and Laura Linney is Joanne Woodward.

I'm only through episode 1 now which details how Paul and Joanne met and how their respective careers were going at the time. Paul met Joanne while he was still married to his first wife at the time. The affair lasted 5 years before Paul divorced Jackie and married Joanne. One of the things that was revealed in the transcripts is just how much Paul and Joanne were shall we say "infatuated" with each other during those early years. Paul describes the frequency and the locations of their rendezvous and let's say they were a very adventurous couple. Energizer Bunnies is what comes to mind.

I'm looking forward to the other five episodes as I was a fan of Paul's work.

@UKMikey nice to see appreciation for Jackie Chan and some quality Chinese Cinema. Check out 88 Films and Eureka as they have some really great films. I’ve currently got Police Story trilogy and Dragons Forever on order in 4K. So high hopes for his other movies at some point down the line.

Criterion also have some excellent Chinese and Japanese cinema titles too.

While it isn’t a film, I’ve just finished watching this YT Doc on Masayoshi Takanaka.

Back