What changes have you noticed since the update (08/01/08)?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 422 comments
Oh damn, one thing I just noticed, I didn't see it anywhere else on the thread so please to yell at me if I'm repeating but the S-10 event is 725PP now instead of 700PP

I think what happened was too many SIXAXIS guys complained they couldn't drive the powerful RWD cars (you expect to race a sim with a controller?) so PD dumbed them down.

That's a shame really.

Isn't that's what standard physics are for? Why dumb down pro physics....why

Now driving the F40 isn't anything special

That sounds bad. Not had chance to try it yet.
I know TT's are not everyone bag but me and zocker16 did some good times on Eiger in the F40 but its not about the times, for me it was getting that beast to work around there, I'm going to have to try N Tyres.

You could be right though. If they read all the forums or they observe pad players spinning out in pro in online or TT's they might of changed it for the majority who want grip in pro setting. How many threads have we seen complaining. But maybe S2 are a bit more grippy in real life and we should have races on N3 or something.

Back to more play testing.

It is fun seeing so many saying that they dumbed down the physics when I would say not a fraction of us GT5 players have ever driven a F40 or even Corvette Z06.

Exactly what Ive been saying. The cars in this game that i've driven in real life (M3, Evo 9, 05 STI) all handle a lot more like the real life cars. And the new G25 things have made it so that it recompenses smooth driving with less mistakes, just what touring car is about. Overall I give them a B+ for not having any new cars or tracks.

I have neve driven a Z06 but im pretty sure you cant just stomp on the gas in a turn with TT off and not have it snap around.

PD once again did what all counsel racers do, Instead of adding they touch and when they touch they break.

I thought that this could compete with the PC sim's, Im wrong poly is interested in pleasing the masses selling as many copys as they can and beauty before physics.

Well the Jokes on us.....

I have neve driven a Z06 but im pretty sure you cant just stomp on the gas in a turn with TT off and not have it snap around.

As all cars it depends of speed, angle and revs. All I am saying is that people are way to certain about things when they comment about the physics of games. Especially driving games.

I for one highly doubt that Polyphone would "dumbed" down GT5 just to sell some more copies to as people say, "not hardcore" gamers. Just because a car is difficult to drive doesnt mean it is accurate to the real deal.

And another thing people have no right to complain about powershift because the thing you forget is we have to H pattern downshift wich is alot harder and slower then just pushing the whatever button or pushing a stick forward on other wheels.

Like I said you dont like power shift give us realistic damage then you wont see it anymore but it at least will still be there.

So now when there is damage how do we punish people for shifting wrong? The game just dumbed itself down again in that regard. Now all you have to worry about is miss shifting and over rev on the downshift wich im sure poly will fix/dumbed down.

Its BS should have seen this coming.

Why doesnt poly have Standard, Pro, Simulation physics where when you pic simulation it say warning if you dont have a wheel you wont be able to handle the cars, good luck.

As all cars it depends of speed, angle and revs. All I am saying is that people are way to certain about things when they comment about the physics of games. Especially driving games.

I for one highly doubt that Polyphone would "dumbed" down GT5 just to sell some more copies to as people say, "not hardcore" gamers. Just because a car is difficult to drive doesnt mean it is accurate to the real deal.

What are you talking about they all do it. Turn10, Codemasters, EA, Poly, Atari ect....

I judge this game with games like GTR, rFactor, LFS ect... thats what it has to live up to. I agree that the game needed tweaking but this is too much. The tires have way to much grip, AWD cars have way to much grip and down force and RWD cars where too twitchy. Fine tweak it a little dont turn RWD into AWD and make S tires into R tires.

Oh damn, one thing I just noticed, I didn't see it anywhere else on the thread so please to yell at me if I'm repeating but the S-10 event is 725PP now instead of 700PP
I didn't look further back on this thread to see if that's been mentioned, but you are correct....it is now a 725 PP Event. That is all that I have done so far, and I ran one 5-lap race with a total time of 10'11.656" using a Corvette ZO6/Tuned. I beat another Tuned Corvette by 1.425". I believe that the AI, at least in this event, has been upgraded.

I can't wait to try this out tonight.

Of all the stuff I have read here and with a byline of "The Real Driving Simulator", I can't honestly believe that PD would "dumb" down anything - either the car handles that way or it doesn't. If they made the Ford GT handle different in the game than it does in real life then they should change to the "The Easy & Fun Driving Simulator". Or, Ford should start changing out the steering wheels in their cars for sixaxis controllers.

I just started racing online this week at the Pro level and somehow I have to believe that the good racers are still gonna find a way to be better than the rest of us with these new "features". Its all about how you play the game - if you don't like it, then don't play.

Let's Race!

so far i have noticed that the wind noise is greater at lower speeds, also noticed that when you top the gears out especially in the lower ones...the rev bouces off the limiter much faster...much more realistic now.

btw,i use the middle one and it raised the hairs on my neck today!!!:crazy:awesome dudes....

spyrrari.
Yeah sounds amazing! :)

Yep physic's are dumbed down and tire grip is just..... well S2 now feels like the old R2.

I think your right to many people complaind so they dumbed it down. Maybe the old physics will come back and you will have standard, Pro, Simulation physics.

Any ideas on how we can get them to give us back are old physics?

Well I think I'm going to shelf this game for a while and go back to GTR where they dont dumb down physcis because its to hard. Enjoy your arcade all.
LOL GTR is way too easy imo ;)
I think GT is just about right now, they just removed the advantage for wheels I think which is only FAIR :) 👍

guys you keep saying its mikey mouse handling etc...i think the handling is perfect now. remember that most RWD on the road are on n1-3 tyres. my mate has driven a F430 and he says that it handles perfectly now...he hated it before! simulator doesn't mean the harder it is the more of a simulator it is. PD know they got it wrong, thats why they've changed it.

Job Done PD!! Well Done!

now we just need Nurburgring and Le Sarte :lol:

Yeah sounds amazing! :)

LOL GTR is way too easy imo ;)
I think GT is just about right now, they just removed the advantage for wheels I think which is only FAIR :) 👍

They should have an advantage you shouldnt even be able to drive these cars without a wheel.

Like I said Standard and Pro for controllers and Simulation physics for wheels that would be fair.

Wheels should be faster then controllers in a "Real Driving Simulator" they should just seperate us is all. I liked this game because its not like forza where the controllers are just so much faster then the wheels, I like the fact the they are the same or that wheels have the advantage. Now I fear its going to change.

Like I said have Stardard, Pro, and Give us back the old physics and make that Simulation.

I want physics so when you try and take that jump at edgar your lands breaks the suspension flattens the tires spins and flips the car. I mean the way you can take that jump is a joke. Its just funny you land and your car just keeps going straight? Like I said they need Standard, Pro, and then add one that is Simulation where they say "we just added this to show you what we can do its very hard and your all going to suck." And that did not come out right at all:ill:

i think with the new tyres it feels like you can throw the cars into a corner as fast as you can and it sticks to the road instead of coming out the other side in an ambulance due to understear or overstear.
ive got the F2007 but i havent tried the new R2 tyres on it yet, have any of you guys tried the new tyres on the F2007 yet? and if yes what does it feel like?

Yep physic's are dumbed down and tire grip is just..... well S2 now feels like the old R2.

I think your right to many people complaind so they dumbed it down. Maybe the old physics will come back and you will have standard, Pro, Simulation physics.

Any ideas on how we can get them to give us back are old physics?

Well I think I'm going to shelf this game for a while and go back to GTR where they dont dumb down physcis because its to hard. Enjoy your arcade all.

You mean the same GTR'2' thats feels the polar opposite of the original 'ultra realistic' GTR, and is slagged off by fans of other 'sims'?

Anyone who's experienced PC sims/mods will be well aware that one mans 'realistic' sim is mocked by others, it never stops, no one ever agrees.

The only thing I will say is that high performance/race cars are nowhere near as difficult to drive as some would have you believe.

They should have an advantage you shouldnt even be able to drive these cars without a wheel.

Like I said Standard and Pro for controllers and Simulation physics for wheels that would be fair.

Wheels should be faster then controllers in a "Real Driving Simulator" they should just seperate us is all. I liked this game because its not like forza where the controllers are just so much faster then the wheels, I like the fact the they are the same or that wheels have the advantage. Now I fear its going to change.
Sorry, but that's the most ignorant answer you could give, why should wheels have an advantage, its a videogame?? Pads and wheels should have no advantage over another, that would be like cheating! I m sick of getting cheated, now get real and try to beat some people without having an advantage over them, geez :mischievous:

You mean the same GTR'2' thats feels the polar opposite of the original 'ultra realistic' GTR, and is slagged off by fans of other 'sims'?

Anyone who's experienced PC sims/mods will be well aware that one mans 'realistic' sim is mocked by others, it never stops, no one ever agrees.

The only thing I will say is that high performance/race cars are nowhere near as difficult to drive as some would have you believe.

? I dont have GTR2 I have GTR

Hate to say it but seems like Yamauchi's crew has finally put their asses on the right track and ended up getting something right, at last: post-update I'm actually having fun driving the most powerful RWD cars around Suzuka without getting the dreadful "brb, landing the Apollo 26 on Mars" feeling. My once maltreated and underreckoned, sparkling F40 finally acts the way it's expected to do in RL and handles just fine even with just a mere Sixaxis.

I guess I'll be enjoying this game a whole lot more from now on, definite green light from me and an overdue refit for the last incarnation of such a glorious gaming franchise.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's the most ignorant answer you could give, why should wheels have an advantage, its a videogame?? Pads and wheels should have no advantage over another, that would be like cheating! I m sick of getting cheated, now get real and try to beat some people without having an advantage over them, geez :mischievous:

When you call your "game" the "Real Driving Simulator" then have a controller be faster then a wheel I find it funny. Last time I checked we drive cars with wheels on controllers. Like I said it should be impossible for you to even be able to handle the cars with the controller, But the game corrects things and dumbs them down so you can use them.

Also I said that wheels and controllers should be seperated so there isnt an unfair hardware advantage.

What are you talking about they all do it. Turn10, Codemasters, EA, Poly, Atari ect....

I judge this game with games like GTR, rFactor, LFS ect... thats what it has to live up to. I agree that the game needed tweaking but this is too much. The tires have way to much grip, AWD cars have way to much grip and down force and RWD cars where too twitchy. Fine tweak it a little dont turn RWD into AWD and make S tires into R tires.

Long post coming :)

So what good sim racing games to Codemaster, EA, Atari etc. have? Please inform me of some of the SIM games they have dumbed down? And Polyphony has always been about racing game and they are passionate about it. When was Codemaster, EA, Atari etc passionate about making a racing game?

And I am so tired of hearing about how great GTR, rFactor and LFS is. I have played all and I do like them. My favorite is actually LFS. But also those three play very different and if you go into the forums covering those games you will see so many people talking bad about GTR saying that rFactor is the best. Another forum says LFS is the king of simulation racing and rFactor, GTR is not even close.

In LFS there are no real cars except maybe the BMW F1 car and the BMW FB02. So we pretty much assume that a RWD with this much horsepower would feel like this. rFactor anybody can make a car by just typing in some figures and the simulator will magiclly drive like the real car in the real world. I very much doubt so.

No racing game is ever going to be perfect but I feel that GT5 is the best getting the feel of a car and how it would appear on a racing track to the player. The best racing game would actually be if they only had 1 car in the whole game as they could put all their development resources into making that car feel perfect.

I am way to tired to keep on writing. Will go drink a beer and maybe continue later :)

Sorry, but that's the most ignorant answer you could give, why should wheels have an advantage, its a videogame?? Pads and wheels should have no advantage over another, that would be like cheating! I m sick of getting cheated, now get real and try to beat some people without having an advantage over them, geez

I think it's reasonable that wheels would have an advantage over pads - I'm not sure that they actually DO - but it would be reasonable. It would be more remarkable if they were able to design the game so that there was NO difference between the two types of controller.

Driving a car fast IRL around a race track with a pad would be interesting...

*Put's his wheel back in the closet*

We had a good run, wheel, but now I can be just as fast with a controller and I can lounge on my couch instead of sitting up in a chair, so farewell! :nervous:

I just noticed my G25 wheel would go side to side about 45 degrees & would keep on..& keep on...& keep on till you stop it. The driver also does that to. Another thing I noticed was that for the people switching gears on H without the clutch, from 2nd gear it would switch to 4th & quickly back to 2nd gear.

also noticed the cars have a nice idle sound now. when staying still. and when dropping down the gears, it gives a nice heel and toe sound...love it!

Back