What does GT5 have over FM3?

• Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 1,097 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicano3000X
Chicano3000
I always hear what FM3 has over GT5, but I wanna hear honest opinions from FM3 players who played both games.

Go-karts? Create a track? So many Skylines that people can count? D1 Drift cars? Jeff Gordan.

• open wheel cars
  • dynamic weather
  • dynamic time of day
  • my lounge
  • custom public lobbies
  • active aerodynamics
  • better animation of suspension movement
  • an affordable steering wheel is available
  • steering via gamepad feels more direct
  • license tests
  • special events
  • better lighting
  • up to 16 cars on track (but frame rate suffers)

Last edited:
Native support for 900 degree steering wheel and H-gate shifter and clutch?

Does FM3 support the Fanatec clutch and 6 speed shifter?

A game that doesn't look and drive like a cartoon, amongst other things. Although, to be fair, I have to say that both products have so many unforgiveable flaws it's genuinely difficult to make a case for either of them.

If you're looking for a comprehensive answer, look at my post below.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4131342#post4131342

Apologies if some things mentioned there have been omitted from the game.

Last edited:
Someone doesn't know the difference between "shipped" and "Sold". That article is actually wrong. Sony announced that they had "shipped" 5.5m copies.

Source? I can't think where you've pulled this frankly bizarre 2.90m figure from. :odd:

Not yet it hasn't:

FM3: 3.73m

GT5: 2.90m

But I expect GT5 will probably overtake it in a month or two.

Not that sales matter. Wii Fit sold 15m and it's still crap.

It doesn't matter to me, but to a lot of people it does.

Oh I remember something else. You can pick the color of your racing uniform in GT5.

A game that doesn't look and drive like a cartoon, amongst other things. Although, to be fair, I have to say that both products have so many unforgiveable flaws it's genuinely difficult to make a case for either of them.

Wow.:rolleyes:

Not yet it hasn't:

FM3: 3.73m

GT5: 2.90m

But I expect GT5 will probably overtake it in a month or two.

Not that sales matter. Wii Fit sold 15m and it's still crap.

GT5 has exceeded the 6 million mark and is now the best selling PS3 game.

Driving physics and car control free very different form each car in GT5

while Forza 3 some cars feel the same, and the permanent driving aid makes it feel arcady.

Graphics, animation are better in GT5.

GT5 has exceeded the 6 million mark and is now the best selling PS3 game.

Okay people - really. You need to ignore Sony's numbers, as they are bragging about SHIPPED games. That means they have produced and shipped that many games - but doesn't mean that many people have actually BOUGHT the game. Sold (bought) units is more like 2.9 million.

...and back to OP's question. GT5 has dynamic weather, rally cars, open wheel, NASCAR, karts, track creator, and slightly better pyhsics IMO.

Forza has much better real world track selection, better looking tracks (looks like actual racing takes place on them - tire marks, etc.), better menus, better tuning options, vastly better online experience, the auction house, livery editor, you can change wheels on all cars, better car selection of cars you actually care about, 700 cars that all look really nice (vs. 200 nice and 800 crap in GT5)....and Porsche!

They both have strengths - I am glad I have both games and the Fanatec wheel which works on both systems. Can't wait for Forza 4 - my bet is Turn 10 is paying very careful attention to the feedback on GT5 and will come to the table with a product which will be very competitive!

Last edited:
Forza has much better real world track selection, better looking tracks (looks like actual racing takes place on them - tire marks, etc.), better menus, better tuning options, vastly better online experience, the auction house, livery editor, you can change wheels on all cars, better car selection of cars you actually care about, 700 cars that all look really nice (vs. 200 nice and 800 crap in GT5)....and Porsche!

:indiff: This doesn't really apply to the topic. You are turning it into a GT VS FM discussion. The topic is more focused on facts not opinions, where most of those are opinions.

9 Opinions
4 Facts
1 In both games

Okay people - really. You need to ignore Sony's numbers, as they are bragging about SHIPPED games. That means they have produced and shipped that many games - but doesn't mean that many people have actually BOUGHT the game. Sold (bought) units is more like 2.9 million.

...and back to OP's question. GT5 has dynamic weather, rally cars, open wheel, NASCAR, karts, track creator, and slightly better pyhsics IMO.

They both have strengths - I am glad I have both games and the Fanatec wheel which works on both systems. Can't wait for Forza 4 - my bet is Turn 10 is paying very careful attention to the feedback on GT5 and will come to the table with a product which will be very competitive!

But some of which are not very well recreated. The Degnar Curve at Suzuka in FM3 is practically flat when compared to the real life and that of GT5. And even the trackside details like the distance between the grandstand (at Suzuka) and the ferris-wheel are completely off and not by mere metre but hundreds of metres.

The real deal:

5255449639_6ff37b04e3_b.jpg

The somebody forgot to calibrate the GPS version (or better known as "we'll just leave it the way it was in the last game"):

5255449551_0f39f20ab0_b.jpg

And the "it's in our backyard" version:

5255449737_7339f624a2_b.jpg

And of course the inaccuracies does not end at Suzuka. But I don't have all day and have to cook dinner.

Better photomode for some cars in GT.
16 cars online.
You can smash into a wall and not scratch your car.
Rubber banding helps you if you fall back.
Plenty of time to make a cup of tea in between loading screens.
You can enter a vastly overpowered car into most races for an easy win.

You won't have to tell your grand kids about the game, they'll be around when your still grinding.

Obviously some benefits are a point of view.

Here is my honest opinions and facts on why Forza 3 is better and why Gran Turismo 5 is better!

FORZA 3
  • More Tracks (Including Variations)
  • All 400+ cars have damage, cockpit view, and customization
  • Livery Editor
  • More and Better tuning options
  • More online modes and easy match making in online

GRAN TURISMO 5
  • 1000+ Cars!!!
  • Graphics and Sound are authentic and very realistic
  • Car Physics are much better than in Forza 3
  • Special Events such as NASCAR, Top Gear Test Track, Kart Racing, and B-Spec
  • Photo Travel Mode
  • 16 Player races
  • Dynamic Weather and Day Night Cycles

If you're a casual racing fan, I think it would be a better choice for Forza 3 since you can easily jump into a race quickly and it offers many assist and a rewind feature. If you're really into cars, racing, and realism, than GT5 is hands down your better choice.

If you're really into cars, racing, and realism, than GT5 is hands down your better choice.

It really depends on the type of racing you are looking for. GT5 doesn't really have that many of the newer racecars represented.

GT5 is more of a car collecting game than it is a simulator, IMO. It's great if you like racing more of the "average" cars though.

Well GT may be a car collecting game but so is Forza, but in a whole different way. The cars you collect, or buy are unique, very unique sometimes.
The ability of the livery editor and upgrading/tuning along with the storefronts and Auction House puts Forza in a whole different realm imo when it comes to car collecting. I mean you can own cars like anyone of these four made in the game. Most likely if you have seen pictures of some awesome looking race cars with great paints on it or some kicking drift cars, they have probably been replicated in Forza and you can own them.

i played both fm2&3 and gt1-5 and i like both games ,but fm cant compare as far as realism goes (the damage on both games sucks ... but i dont care i try not to hit things anyways) .. i like that i can use g27 on gt ... and the main reason gt is better is because i didnt go trough 3 systems just to play a game ... 1 ps3 > 3 xbox360's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back