What does GT5 have over FM3?

• Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 1,097 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are both sims, just with different levels of detail. Simulation simply implies imitation or re-enactment, it doesn't have to be spot on. Simulations are constantly evolving so there's no difinitive line that separates sims from arcade games. What we called a sim 10 years ago might feel more like an arcade racer today.

GT5 does driving really well, but sadly it does not do racing well. There is a lot more to racing than just multiple cars driving (poorly) on a track, so I hope they work on this.

Sadly, it seems they are focusing their efforts elsewhere (ie GT anywhere) so hopefully Turn 10 have a better crack at it
Yes, you're correct. I'll retract. What I was saying was more to the point that neither is "the" sim while the other is a game.

I'm glad we can agree on a couple of things dude 👍

The only thing keeping me on GT5 is the driving (well, duh.. What else would it be :lol:), well more specifically the wheel support.
360 pads destroy DS3's in driving games I have to say. I really do feel sorry for those stuck with a pad on GT5.
The only thing keeping me playing is still the "newness" and , up until I realized there was endurance races without save abilities, trying to complete A-spec. That isn't a priority anymore. Now it's just seeing how much fun my group and I can have with the game and some "newness". I'm still keeping the faith that patches will come to take the game further but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Last edited:
I'm barely holding on with GT5 . . . boredom has set in with all of the following . . .
Poor/Dated AI modelling
B-Spec
A-Spec Endurance Races (woulda been fun if we could save and resume)
Trying to Gold the X2010 Red Bull Spec Event (2:07 at Nurb GP/F? Seriously?)
Limited configuration options with online play
Lack of livery editor or auction house

I had quit playing Forza almost altogether when GT5 hit, now I'm back to 50/50.

I hope FM 4 can nail it. I know there setup will be better but i am not sure about the physics maybe if they gave the active steering a on/off switch could help but i would prefer they rework it and refine the track details and feedback like GT's Then they will be the sim racing king without a doubt.
Im all for getting the best sim racing experience possible doesnt everybody want this? Go FM4

I'm barely holding on with GT5 . . . boredom has set in with all of the following . . .
Poor/Dated AI modelling
B-Spec
A-Spec Endurance Races (woulda been fun if we could save and resume)
Trying to Gold the X2010 Red Bull Spec Event (2:07 at Nurb GP/F? Seriously?)
Limited configuration options with online play
Lack of livery editor or auction house

I had quit playing Forza almost altogether when GT5 hit, now I'm back to 50/50.

Same here but i find i am about 60% GT5 40% FM3 for a 1yr old game thats pretty good.

I hope FM 4 can nail it. I know there setup will be better but i am not sure about the physics maybe if they gave the active steering a on/off switch could help but i would prefer they rework it and refine the track details and feedback like GT's Then they will be the sim racing king without a doubt.
Im all for getting the best sim racing experience possible doesnt everybody want this? Go FM4

That's what it's all about. I don't give a damn who makes the game, or what console it's played on.
We're driving game fans and that's it.

360 pads destroy DS3's in driving games I have to say. I really do feel sorry for those stuck with a pad on GT5.

Tell me about it. I'm one of those without a wheel and my hands hurt after a little bit of GT5 using the controller, but I could use the 360 sticks all day with no pain.

Doug, trust me I know. I was there man... I had an intellivision and a 2600, I witnessed the megadrive vs Snes deathmatch, I covered my eyes when the Atari ST fought the Amiga and I stayed right the hell away from the commodores and spectrums full stop :lol:

An old school spirit!! I remember getting bought River Raid on the 2600 and my parents paying about £30! (people reckon games are too expensive now?!?)

I was always spectrum over c64, amiga over st, megadrive over SNES, ps1 over saturn, dreamcast over ps2(until it's premature death) and now I own a pc, a ps3, a 360 and a wii and don't care anymore!! Oh and I forgot I was arcade over everything, wasting my pocket money in 10p pieces into various machines.

Haha, the good old days when a couple of quid would last all day in the arcades :lol:
Most of today's gamers have no idea how good they've got it.

That's what it's all about. I don't give a damn who makes the game, or what console it's played on.
We're driving game fans and that's it.

I agree. The reason I have always been loyal to GT is because it has always been the best, most realistic console racing game. But if FM4 happen to do a better job, I will have no reservations buying an Xbox.

I think PD have become complacent and I hope FM4 gives them the kick in the a#s they need. Then we will see what they can do with GT6.

But in the meantime, I have pretty much stopped playing GT5 all together. I will start again eventually, I've just lost interest at the moment and I'm not even halfway through A-spec. I'm saving to buy the 787B and the thought of grinding just does nothing for me.

It's going to be a long wait til Forza comes out in October

Unless you're happy to grind it out, I'm happy to shoot you a 787B in about ten minutes.

Of course, that's if I'm not assassinated by the holy league of anti-dupers directly after posting this...
Pm me if you want it mate.

But in the meantime, I have pretty much stopped playing GT5 all together. I will start again eventually, I've just lost interest at the moment and I'm not even halfway through A-spec. I'm saving to buy the 787B and the thought of grinding just does nothing for me.

It's going to be a long wait til Forza comes out in October

Man, don't stop!! Just dupe if you don't want to grind. A combination of seasonal events and duping and even begging on the marketplace will get you what you want. If you're playing GT for the love of driving cars don't let anyone convice you not to. I treat myself to something expensive every day.

It's a long time until Forza!

Yeah you're probably right. When I play now I usually just do a few laps of the Nordschleife, but I just want some good cars without having to grind for days.

FML

Isnt it the American Top Gear though in which it's pretty pointless and it will be rubbish!

There's an American Top Gear?

They are teaming up with Top Gear UK. PD's pathetic attempt to incorporate TG leads me to believe that Top Gear saw what they were doing with it and jumped ship during the development process to start work with T10.

Smells like yet another failure as a result of PD's quest for quantity over quality

They are teaming up with Top Gear UK. PD's pathetic attempt to incorporate TG leads me to believe that Top Gear saw what they were doing with it and jumped ship during the development process to start work with T10.

Smells like yet another failure as a result of PD's quest for quantity over quality

You seriously need to settle down.

WOW...you guys really need to chill out over this...it's just a game, Polyphony is phenomenal with it's detail, which is mostly under looked.

Haha, just telling it how it is.

But really I hope T10 do a better job

Nah. What you're doing doesn't make sense if you don't actually play Forza. Forza has just as many and possibly more severe,(depending on viewpoint) problems as GT5. It's like you're willing to marry a woman you've never even seen just because you're displeased with your current lady.

I hope Scaff closes this thread because this isn't a discussion. It's another bash GT5 thread posing as something else. On a side note, I go to other GT forums and Forza is rarely mentioned.

Really hope it is the British TG 👍, sure i read on the Forza forums that it was the American one they were teaming up with! 👎

That wasn't trollish, just hilarious 👍

I hope Scaff closes this thread because this isn't a discussion. It's another bash GT5 thread posing as something else. On a side note, I go to other GT forums and Forza is rarely mentioned.

And in response to this, we have been discussing the differences between GT and Forza, namely with regards to the affiliation with Top Gear. Of course Forza is mentioned, did you not read the title of the thread? :dunce:

No one said you had to agree with others' opinions, if you don't like it go to another thread instead of clogging up this one with unrelated posts. And we don't need any more heros telling us when threads should be locked (except the mods).

I will let the monkeys pass though :)

Really hope it is the British TG 👍, sure i read on the Forza forums that it was the American one they were teaming up with! 👎

I just did a google search and it definitely says they are teaming up with UK Top Gear. I haven't seen American Top Gear, is it any good?

It would have to be better than the Australian version ha

That wasn't trollish, just hilarious 👍

And in response to this, we have been discussing the differences between GT and Forza, namely with regards to the affiliation with Top Gear. Of course Forza is mentioned, did you not read the title of the thread? :dunce:

No one said you had to agree with others' opinions, if you don't like it go to another thread instead of clogging up this one with unrelated posts. And we don't need any more heros telling us when threads should be locked (except the mods).

I will let the monkeys pass though :)

And that's the point you fail to comprehend. Forza has rights to the American version, not British. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Edit: the symbol used to advertise Forza 4 was from the American version. Based on this link Turn 10 has had affiliation with the BBC show in the past.http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/forza-motorsport-3-ultimate-collection/1124804p1.html

Last edited:
I mostly agree with you, but:

Better tracks in general though Forza has some good ones that are not in GT5

Seriously disagree here, but this is something highly based on opinion. To me, the track surfaces are better modeled in GT5, but as far as overall good track selection and aesthetic appeal FM3 takes this for me.
No ability to set the AI to easy and rewind if you make a mistake.
GT5's AI are as difficult to beat as FM3's AI on medium....so I would prefer multiple options to always being easy.
No Hoppers
I actually liked the hoppers. I can see why some people wouldn't, but I would have preferred to have both. I just hate having to guess at what I'll find online. Sometimes I like to pick a car with certain restrictions and just jump into a race without having to search for a lobby that matches the car I want to use.
Harder career mode races though still to easy.

I found this last part funny. Even in a severely handicapped car I can beat GT5's AI by miles compared to using slightly better cars in FM3 and having them on my ass for most of the race.

I think most of the problems in GT5 could be fixed by bringing in a performance based rank like what we had in GT5:P or FM3. It would make finding races online allot easier.

Really, for every positive in GT5 theres a positive in FM3 to balance it out. But my personal preference is still GT5 purely for the feel of the cars and the more accurate track modeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back