What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,135 comments
Not so much of a 'what have you done' but 'what haven't you done'....

Can anyone see what is wrong with my HTML please? I can get it to work in JSFiddle, but load it into chrome straight from the file and it doesn't work. Basically, it's supposed to load up a set of links depending on which option you have chosen. I know there is an issue when it first loads, but no links come up whichever option you choose.

Code:
<HTML>
<head>

<script>

document.getElementById('options').onchange = function() {
    var i = 1;
    var myDiv = document.getElementById(i);
    while(myDiv) {
        myDiv.style.display = 'none';
        myDiv = document.getElementById(++i);
    }
    document.getElementById(this.value).style.display = 'block';
};
</script>
</head>

<body>
<select name="options" id="options">
  <option value="1">Useful links</option>
  <option value="2">Order Support links</option>
  <option value="3">Product links</option>
 </select>
<br/><br/>
<div id="1" style="display: none">
  <a href="http://hfd-wfm-int-web1/TeleoptiWFM/Web/MyTime#Schedule/Week" target="_blank">WFM</a>
  <br/>
  <a href="http://www.halfords.com" target="_blank">Halfords.com</a>
</div>

<div id="2" style="display: none">
  <a href="http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/tracking.html" target="_blank">DHL Tracking</a></div>

<div id="3" style="display: none">
  <a href="http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/616353" target="_blank">Product picture</a></div>
</body>
</HTML>

Not so much of a 'what have you done' but 'what haven't you done'....

Can anyone see what is wrong with my HTML please? I can get it to work in JSFiddle, but load it into chrome straight from the file and it doesn't work. Basically, it's supposed to load up a set of links depending on which option you have chosen. I know there is an issue when it first loads, but no links come up whichever option you choose.

Code:
<HTML>
<head>

<script>

document.getElementById('options').onchange = function() {
    var i = 1;
    var myDiv = document.getElementById(i);
    while(myDiv) {
        myDiv.style.display = 'none';
        myDiv = document.getElementById(++i);
    }
    document.getElementById(this.value).style.display = 'block';
};
</script>
</head>

<body>
<select name="options" id="options">
  <option value="1">Useful links</option>
  <option value="2">Order Support links</option>
  <option value="3">Product links</option>
 </select>
<br/><br/>
<div id="1" style="display: none">
  <a href="http://hfd-wfm-int-web1/TeleoptiWFM/Web/MyTime#Schedule/Week" target="_blank">WFM</a>
  <br/>
  <a href="http://www.halfords.com" target="_blank">Halfords.com</a>
</div>

<div id="2" style="display: none">
  <a href="http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/tracking.html" target="_blank">DHL Tracking</a></div>

<div id="3" style="display: none">
  <a href="http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/616353" target="_blank">Product picture</a></div>
</body>
</HTML>

What does/doesn't it do, and what do you expect it to do/not do?

What does/doesn't it do, and what do you expect it to do/not do?

Ok, so the page is going to go into a browser-based piece of software as a footer widget. The general idea is that when the user selects one of the options from a drop-down list, it will show the links below the box, ie selecting 'Order Support links' will show the link for the DHL website, and hide the links listed under the other two options. This is basically done by using the CSS value display:block or display:none.

What actually happens is nothing; when you select any of the options, nothing comes up. As I said, putting the code into JSFiddle and it works just fine, but loading it up in a web browser and nothing works. I do have Javascript switched on in the browser, so it's not that. I think it's something to do with the way that I'm calling the script, but I can't work it out.

Poking around in Event Viewer because of a recent blue screen. Coming to the conclusion that my 360 controller is on it's way out and caused it.

Saved my boss's bacon again by sorting out the LiveChat window. We had an issue where mobile phone users had their screens timing out and losing their place in the queue, resulting in dropped chats which still eventually came through to the advisors and was tying them up with ghost chats.

Got a little fix in place which went live today and worked perfectly. It'll keep the directors off his back for a while...

Started my new job today, moved from the maintenance department to development... First order of business: "Figure out why this server is no longer able to renew its security certificate, you have until the 6th of November before anything breaks."

Eep. The problem is when you try to run certbot on it, pip reports an I/O error. I've never troubleshooted (troubleshot?) a thing like this on Linux before so I'm a bit stuck, it's probably time to call a professional.

Playing with Blender, I took a tutorial on building a car or a racing game in Blender Game Engine and added one of my own tracks I designed in a practice modeling run. This allowed me to test out designing tracks for games or for my own game development project. The tutorial car in Blender is very flawed, though. Turning too hard or turning at high speed causes the car to roll over. So with this project in mind, I have begun looking at designing my own driving model through Python and Blender Game Engine. This prototype of mine is to practice and envision bringing my race track and vehicle designs to life. I took a handful of concepts on how to code vehicles from a number of games. Among others: Speed Dreams, rFactor, GTR2, VDrift, and even Carmageddon: Max Damage. I am just looking for some sort of model I can use or create to define the physics of a car to make something unique for my own testing purposes. Or... to perhaps develop a game.

Any progress I may make could possibly be featured in my creative works blog or even my creative works site.

Downloaded all programs I have installed, latest drivers and mounted an ISO to a SD card for a reinstall on friday.

Well I did the reinstall.

To prevent this 2 and a half day screwing around with updates and configuration I like I made a back up image of the C:\partition using clonezilla which makes a sparse file.
Then I got a lightbulb moment.

Why dont I put the clonezilla EFI partiton, Clonezilla ISO partition and the backup image on a partition on my SSD, similar to an OEM setup.

My first attempt was to use the BCD bootloader, this did not pan out all to well, if I installed windows under legacy and not EFI it would've been fine, just use a program like easyBCD, but easyBCD does not work under UEFI mode.

Then some researching and hair pulling I found a program that edits the EFI program on the SSD.
Then it is a simple matter of booting from it by pressing F12 when I boot up to bring up the motherboards UEFI boot selection menu and select it from there.

Before mentioning the windows image recovery tool, since I am using an NVMe drive and windows 7 does not have native support for it I had to make a custom install disc with drivers integrated into it, doing this removes the repair/recovery portion of the setup where this action can be done, even the "repair my computer" option does not work.

This is how my 500GB SSD is currently partitioned.
100MB EFI(Made by Windows)
428GB Windows
37.2GB Hidden Partition to hold the image
290MB Partition which has the clonezilla ISO
8MB Clonezilla EFI partition.
171015194327.png

Few bugs still to work out, but I am quite happy with the result

There was a reason why I didn't initially consider Unreal Engine long ago. Though I was struggling to try to get used to Unity3D, I knew that Unreal Engine was also capable of some amazing gaming power if you work with it. I also stayed away from Unreal Engine because I usually thought it was just for the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games. I eventually took in Unreal Engine and gave it a try. After not having used it in a while and trying to get back into the flow of things... I recently retired Unreal Engine and will work with Unity3D. I'll try to learn Unity3D and have some more patience than I've had previously with it.

Nothing is official, but I may try to work on building a game or make something to test out material I hope to offer in the future. Again- I will try to be more patient with Unity3D and learn the nuances of it more. I once again dusted off my OUYA and will use it to test developing an Android-type game. I may even try using my 8-inch Samsung tablet for game development also. If the Nexus Player wasn't so picky with trying to allow for external storage or the use of extra USB devices, I would develop for Android TV (which is also a goal in my game development adventures).

Besides this, I am also interested in designing gaming assets, mostly 3D models that aren't seriously detailed. Mostly mobile-friendly (I'm hoping) material.

Today at work: "So we have a robot that was used in a gallery a few years back, do you think you can make it work again?" - It's a Biomek 1000 - from 1991 - that interfaces with a DOS PC using the LPT port, naturally they can't find the PC that went with it. Tall order, but worth a try I suppose.

Not strictly today, but I recently did a total refresh of my PC hardware, save for the Mobo, CPU, and CPU Cooler.
GTX1080 with built in water cooling system to replace my GTX970, new modular 750W power supply to replace the rats nest created by my super-budget 650W. I put it all carefully in a mostly glass PC case so I could gawk at the now-(mostly)neatly arranged cables. I had to trash the disc drive because I forgot to check the size of the radiator for the GPU, and the only space it would fit is where my disc drives would have gone.

Old:
0708162227.jpg

0708162230b.jpg

All of the wires on the right side were unused, and they were too thick and inflexible to fit between the other side of the PC case. There are even more unused wires stuffed back behind the frame.

New:
20171018_225316.jpg

20171004_133410.jpg

20171004_132419.jpg

Main thing I did today was cleaning all of the fingerprints I neglected after installing the glass panels. They get distracting when they're glowing blue. :lol:

Last edited:
@Minty What CPU cooler is that? Looking very neat in there now 👍

I upgraded an older iPad from iOS6 to iOS9 which was a nightmare because the OTA update didn't work so I had to do it through iTunes... and I didn't have it installed on any PC because its horrible!

Boy was iOS 6 nice and clean, iOS after 7 is terrible and bloaty with all it's iCloud integration. What ever happened to the good old days of putting pictures and music locally on a device and that was it!

Last edited:
Revived an old Galaxy Note (1st gen). The TouchWiz launcher kept on crashing as soon as the phone was unlocked, and factory resetting didn't solve the problem either. I ended up flashing the stock firmware to get it working.

I tried installing LineageOS on it, but the custom recovery that I installed put the phone into a boot loop and didn't allow me to access the recovery mode. I had to reflash the official firmware again, though I might try installing a different recovery later if I get the time.

@Minty What CPU cooler is that? Looking very neat in there now 👍

Thermaltake SpinQ. Not the most efficient on the market, but it's close(top 3 last I checked). The look of it makes up for not being the best cooler in the world, and even after several hours of 4K Forza 7 my CPU temps never went over 42°C.

I noticed my Samsung tablet updated to the latest version of Android "Nougat." I seem pretty okay with some of the changes with this updated interface.

A part from the typical things, I browsed Photobucket a bit. Good lord that site is a major pain to use now, not even Wikia sites are this bad! :boggled:

I later looked at a video for a mod Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga and then realized it could be done on the Wii version. So I of course decided to plunder through the game files some, I saw where the sound files were stored and then looked up on how to extract the sounds from them. Now I am going through and extracting all of them from the game. This is great because now I can finally get some of the ones I have really wanted for a long time! :D Now if I could just get the model files....

Playing with Blender, I took a tutorial on building a car or a racing game in Blender Game Engine and added one of my own tracks I designed in a practice modeling run. This allowed me to test out designing tracks for games or for my own game development project. The tutorial car in Blender is very flawed, though. Turning too hard or turning at high speed causes the car to roll over. So with this project in mind, I have begun looking at designing my own driving model through Python and Blender Game Engine. This prototype of mine is to practice and envision bringing my race track and vehicle designs to life. I took a handful of concepts on how to code vehicles from a number of games. Among others: Speed Dreams, rFactor, GTR2, VDrift, and even Carmageddon: Max Damage. I am just looking for some sort of model I can use or create to define the physics of a car to make something unique for my own testing purposes. Or... to perhaps develop a game.

Any progress I may make could possibly be featured in my creative works blog or even my creative works site.

I did something similar about 3 years ago. I only modeled the drivetrain though, and used an existing physics model for the suspension and the tyres. It was a pretty detailed drivetrain model, including starter engine, semi-manual clutch (only used keyboard inputs, so I had to simulate the pedal being gradually depressed) and fuel consumption.

It was pretty fun, but the tyre model was poor and I didn't know how to modify it.

Here is a video:

Last edited:
Ripped the PSU out of Blackbird (my main PC) to sent it in for a replacement. One of the fans in there had gotten loose and was making the most annoying grinding noise possible. Can't have been a good thing for whatever it's grinding against either.

As a replacement I plugged in my old PC again which was having several issues, so I'll to have to see what to do about that. I was mostly using it as a media center anyway so I'm not too bothered about it.

I Subscribed to you on YouTube after watching your video here, eran0004. I may just play with other mods before finally actually learning to make my own driving model material. I actually originally thought about developing for the PC sim "Racer" just for prototyping my race track model ideas. I may look up other ideas. Based on a video I saw on how to make tracks for Assetto Corsa, I continue to work with Blender (and even Wings3D) to properly design a race track. I don't think I'll attempt making cars, though I did see an interesting tutorial on how to design and get in cars to Assetto Corsa. I want to apply those practices to GTR2 and rFactor, since I don't have (and probably can't run) Assetto Corsa on my PC.

I copied over all of my Steam stuff to my 1TB external hard drive. There is a reason why I am not religiously using my 1TB hard drive- lag. So I am mostly using it as a backup drive rather than something always connected all the time like my regular 320GB hard drive. There is a possibility I may consider getting another external hard drive that isn't as fussy, or I may look at owning my first-ever SATA solid state drive. I used Crucial's website for some guidance for my PC. The cheapest one is almost $53 USD and has 120GB of space. I have never installed a SATA SSD, so I am not sure if this will be more effective for space than my 320GB external hard drive. I certainly will give a SATA SSD a chance if I had the money and knew how to install one.

Spent some time browsing mod guides on NerfHaven for some Nerf guns I own and hope to get in the near future and saved them as documents on WPS Writer, which I use since I never got Microsoft Office. Most mod guides are missing their pictures, luckily NerfHaven has a image archive option and I was able to recover the pictures, I took the time to figure out where they went by reading the dead links to them and then I put them in. Now not only can I better understand them, but I also have the entire guides on my computer so I can read them without having to hassle with my internet, which has been unusually fickle lately. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

Bought a Lenovo Think Pad T430.

It's a refurbished model with an i7-2620, 4gb of RAM and a 320GB HDD.

May consider upping the RAM and putting in an SSD if I find that it's performance doesn't meet my expectations but for now it's just a work book and I wanted and needed something rugged and relatively inexpensive that I could take to a job site and fill out reports on. I might also consider a new CPU if I can find one that has a low power draw and fits my socket, but it seems that those are fast disappearing.

I really love the keyboard and so far it's everything I was hoping for.

Bought a Lenovo Think Pad T430.

It's a refurbished model with an i7-2620, 4gb of RAM and a 320GB HDD.

May consider upping the RAM and putting in an SSD if I find that it's performance doesn't meet my expectations but for now it's just a work book and I wanted and needed something rugged and relatively inexpensive that I could take to a job site and fill out reports on. I might also consider a new CPU if I can find one that has a low power draw and fits my socket, but it seems that those are fast disappearing.

I really love the keyboard and so far it's everything I was hoping for.
Hackintosh it. My Thinkpad X220 was the ultimate dual booting machine with that. You can even triple boot it with Linux if you want.

Connected my old locked down modem router as my good one is dead.

And since I have been using mobile broadband for the past week I now have to start mass downloading game patches and OS updates since I now am back to normal broadband.

Wiped the Linux Mint partition on my laptop and installed Kubuntu.

Why would you do this?

Linux Mint is ace, I run it on my laptop.

Back