What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,142 comments
Got fed up with dying repeatedly in the original Crash Bandicoot when playing on it the PS3, so I moved to my laptop and finally beat it today. (As a long time Crash fan, I can't say it was fun because it really wasn't) I recently started watching Caddicarus on Youtube and I watched some more of his videos today and I think I like him better than JonTron.

Did more of the same thing I did recently with Spongebob SquarePants Legend of the Lost Spatula for the Gameboy Color. Taking screenshots and arranging them until I have the entire level in one picture. It's actually pretty time consuming.
Downtown.png

Since I finally understand how to make animated GIF's in Gimp now, I have been taking character sprites from the same game and making animated GIF's out of them. I spent extra time to make sure they accurately play as they would in game. Pleased with the result!
Idle1.gif
Idle2.gif
Idle3.gif
Idle4.gif
Golden Spatula.gif

Making GIF's is fun! :D I have a feeling I may start using these in place of some smilies on the forum.

Edit: Fixed the third Spongebob animation.

Last edited:
Originally hoping to get a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 10-inch tablet, I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite today. I may try to save up to hopefully get the Lenovo tablet I originally wanted, but at least I have something to kind of move on from my Hisense tablet. I'll stay with my new Samsung tablet for now. The Lenovo tablet I wanted was not in stock when I went to Wal-Mart.

Originally hoping to get a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 10-inch tablet, I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite today. I may try to save up to hopefully get the Lenovo tablet I originally wanted, but at least I have something to kind of move on from my Hisense tablet. I'll stay with my new Samsung tablet for now. The Lenovo tablet I wanted was not in stock when I went to Wal-Mart.

Dude, nobody goes into shops any more... don't they have a website? :)

Yeah. Since I'm mostly cheap and old-fashioned, I still prefer brick and mortar store shopping. The Lenovo tablet I originally wanted was about $109 USD at a Wal-Mart. Online on Amazon (for example), it's $159 USD. I had only so much to spend. If I get enough money and if the Lenovo tablet is in stock, I may give it another try and get that tablet. And yes- Lenovo does have a website.

Learned how FontForge works (-ish, some parts are still a big mystery to me) and created a proper font file for the Georgian alphabet I've been working on.
Untitled-6.png

I had used my first-ever Android "KitKat" device this past week when I had my Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite 7-inch tablet. Now, I am experiencing my first-ever Android "Marshmallow" when I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-inch tablet. It is my first-ever tablet larger than 7 inches. So I am getting used to what a lot of Android users are probably used to by now.

So I am getting used to what a lot of Android users are probably used to by now.

You're talking about the unrestricted bliss that is android, unlike apple.

Oh you cant do that
Oh you dont really own that $1200 iphone 8, you're just leasing long term.
Apple still say what you can and can not do with the phone.

Spent hours upon hours organizing and relabeling my entire music library in iTunes as well as deleting duplicates. I have at least 600+ songs and so far I am on the K's going alphabetically.

Ever since I got my 160GB IPod Classic fixed, I have been going through getting a bunch of old songs and moving them to my new computer. I recently went on my family's old desktop computer and spent most of my day gathering loads of old songs I liked as well as purging ones from my youth I had no desire to listen to again. Man I must have been very disorganized when I was younger. :boggled:

I also went on my brothers Mac computer not too long ago to get some songs from him as well and truth to say it was the first time I had used a Mac since I was 10! Wow, talk about foreign territory, it feels so different to me since I have been used to Windows for over a decade now.

Yeah it's fun to make gifs.
Fox facepaw, extracted the frames and made it a better size rather than 1920x1080
View attachment 664639
Yea a gif that size would be horrendous to load. :scared:

In my freshman year of high school, we had to make animated gifs with Gimp in one my computer classes and I never really could get it down until now. Now I wonder why I was struggling in the first place.

Last edited:
I've used Android for at least five years or so. I mostly meant using a more recent interface when I meant "...what a lot of Android users are probably used to by now." Most of the devices I've used have been either Gingerbread or Jellybean. The [now useless] Google Nexus Player was my first Lollipop device. I am more than comfortable with Android. And here I was debating back in 2012 or so to get an iPod Touch or a Samsung Galaxy Player 3.2- and I went with the Android device because I was more comfortable with what you can do with Android as opposed to with iOS.

Since the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-inch is an eight-inch device, it does feel a bit big for my hands. I do still have few problems holding onto it. I also realize this is the first mobile device I have that requires some more amps to charge than most of my standard devices. I basically have to use a Micro USB charging cable that is about 5.3 amps. I noticed a charging icon with a red X when charging with a cable less than what my new tablet normally requires. I found out through searches that the rechargeable battery will still charge- just not quick enough and efficient enough.

Yea a gif that size would be horrendous to load. :scared:

In my freshman year of high school, we had to make animated gifs with Gimp in one my computer classes and I never really could get it down until now. Now I wonder why I was struggling in the first place.

In the age of fiber internet, not that long really.

maybe you didn't select save as animation, set yhe correct frame disposal.

I recently got some more songs from my brother and ripped a few CD's me and my family owned. Was only able to find some of them and not all, but luckily I had ripped two of them to the old desktop years ago. I also went through a large number of old CD's my cousin had burned almost 10 years ago to see if they had songs I wanted. Now I have all 778 songs in my library organized neatly and loaded onto my old Ipod.

Almost a decade ago, my cousin used to burn songs to CD's and then blast them through a boombox whenever we used to go outside everyday. He did it for years until we started using MP3 players and eventually iPods to play our music, then the idea became obsolete to us since those devices were so much more efficient. I still have a large number of the old CD's he made back then, some are degraded or unreadable, others still work fine. It was kind of fun going through them since some of them bring back memories. Hopefully I can find some more I don't already have assuming my cousin still has them.
In the age of fiber internet, not that long really.

maybe you didn't select save as animation, set yhe correct frame disposal.
Could've been my short attention span I had at the time or maybe we were using a different version of Gimp. Who knows.

Last edited:
Nothing computer-related today, but I found out the next Android interface will be called "Oreo." It's old news to many, but I wanted to see if confirmed. The last kind of licensed name was "KitKat." Now... we get Oreo. Now have to wonder what Android "P" will be...

I got a GTX 1050 hoping to simplify things and solve some of my graphics issues. Nope...the video card doesn't want to play nice with the x58's triple channel memory. If I try it, the computer slows to a crawl.

I updated my BIOS(or is it a UEFI now?) and I'm very impressed. I'm running a Ryzen CPU on a B350 Tomahawk and before my boot was really long. After pressing the power button I had to wait about 10-15 seconds before i even saw the boot screen(so long the monitor would go off from no signal) then windows took a further 10-15 seconds to boot and thats with an SSD. Now after the update I am looking at the windows desktop after about 10 seconds!

Good grief! I decided to dust off my Google Nexus Player, and I found out it upgraded to Android "Nougat!" So this is not only the only Android device I have running "Nougat," but the Android device I own that has the latest Android OS, granted the Nexus Player runs Android TV. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-inch has "Marshmallow." As I am seeing how much times have changed with Android TV, I am trying to see if anything new or recent has been included since the last time I've tried to use and utilize it.

For now, though, the Nexus Player remains an Android TV hockey puck that doesn't have too much to offer. At least it has more life than say, the OUYA I own. Speaking of the OUYA, I am almost tempted to make it the first Android device I own to try to root. I want it to serve as something for testing Android games in case I get the itch to make Android games for it. Bear in mind I am not a mobile gamer. However, I still have that desire to make some kind of game for Android or for Windows.

I created an algorithm for drawing Euler curves. The curvature increases linearly with the curve length.
The image below shows a 166 degree left turn with a start vector of 72 degrees (measured from +x) and having a minimum radius of 60 meters. Each corner segment is of equal length, 15.803 meters.
euler_screen (3).png

I haven't done anything towards PC stuff, but I have been thinking a lot about Android TV, especially its gaming potential. Using the Google Nexus Player has gotten me into maybe use Android TV to build and play proper games. Bear in mind I am not any kind of mobile gamer. As much as I am someone who still prefers a flip phone over having a smartphone (though I have been looking at some inexpensive smart phones recently), I tend to prefer Android gaming on a proper Android device other than any smartphone or tablet. Certain potential involved.

One game development video I saw mentioned one game going from Java to C++ for faster and more efficient play. Part of me actually wants to try to learn C++ after dabbling with Javascript. I somewhat have played with C++ in modifying Duke Nukem 3D. It's something I want to look into should I get the urge to do programming again.

Trained my Euler curve algorithm how to follow paths.

euler_screen (5).png

Edit: And today I told it how to adjust the radius to make sure that the curve fits within the available space. Blue and black lines are the curves (blue is the start of a new curve) while the thick gray lines indicate straights.

euler_screen (8).png

Last edited:
I deleted ES File Explorer from my Google Nexus Player. I noted that the device didn't stutter my games as much when I deleted the program. The program was to be used so I could access any files from any external storage media I have. There were times when the program would crash while I don't even use it!

On top of this, I found that I would dominate some games... then have the Bluetooth connection screw up my controller to where I have to pair the device again. I used to just unplug the Nexus Player and plug it back in. Now, I realize I could just press the button at the bottom to do the pairing process again. Then the game in progress works again.

I am contemplating getting the Xiaomi Mi Box to replace my Google Nexus Player. The nVidia Shield is WELL outside of my budget, and I am not looking to get one anyways. If I do get the Mi Box, I'll try to see if I could port over a lot of my content from the Nexus Player to the Mi Box. Bigges advantage of the Mi Box over the Nexus Player is much easier access to allow external storage without needing a certain OTG cable to use extra USB functionality.

Yeah, ES File Explorer has become a mess lately. It was really good before, but now it's awful. I got random notifications from it and some of them looked really sketchy.

Agreed. I reluctantly removed it from my Android devices, because it used to be a really useful tool but now it's obnoxious and annoying not to mention somewhat dodgy with some of the things it does. If I could revert to a 2014 or so version of it, I'd be a happy camper.

As for what I've been doing lately, I've been getting re-acquainted with CP/M.

ES was good until sometime last year, which is when it became bloated. I switched to Solid Explorer and haven't looked back.

A good free alternative is MiXplorer, though you'll need to get it from the XDA Developers forums.
If I could revert to a 2014 or so version of it, I'd be a happy camper.
You can get an older version from APKMirror, but it might not work properly with newer versions of Android. I used to use an older version of the QuickPic gallery app (which was also ruined by bloat), but it kept on crashing on Nougat.

Added the following string into Firefox Android.

General.useragent.overide

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

in a nutshell, it will make every website think I'm on a desktop thus giving me the desktop version of the website.

I hate mobile versions of websites.

I slowly eased into re-learning Wings3D. Previously on GTPlanet, I shared some of the 3D images I modeled with this program. It is so easy to learn to model. Part of my inspiration to return to 3D modeling was to attempt to create a track for rFactor. However, and in a strange twist, I've had visions of maybe making a track... and also a game. I am thinking more along the lines of PlayStation 1 or mobile game modeling. I am not adept enough to make something remotely of triple-A level games. So I am taking inspiration from Gran Turismo 1 and Gran Turismo 2 along with a handful of other racing games. That even includes "Assuluto Racing" from one our own GTPlaneteers. Most of what I have learned is based on studying track models from GTR2 and rFactor. I gained certain levels of experience thinking about how to model a track. It isn't so much the modeling, but also making materials and coding everything. I am far from making even a basic course. I did consider at one point trying to closely re-make High Speed Ring from GT1/GT2.

If I do come up with some kind of game, it will mostly be to have some kind of way of testing and bringing my material to life. I may operate using Unity3D or Unreal Engine. Again- I am using Wings3D for my modeling. After seeing one video on YouTube, however, I am almost thinking of dusting off [Google] SketchUp for some more accurate track modeling. I gave up on SketchUp not because of its modeling difficulty, but because I was unhappy about how my simplest models have had unnecessary extra geometry to 3D models upon exporting to different formats. Someone made a basic course by modeling Martinsville Speedway from its straights and corners.

That's all from me.

Cleaned the PSU dust filter and the PSU fan intake (only from the outside). I didn't even know that I could remove the filter until today, so there was quite a bit of dust in it.

Back