What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,135 comments
Spent some time today getting some videos and trimming them down to my liking. I also tried to amplify the volume on some of my older videos as loud as I could without it clipping and turning into an ear rape. I eventually figured it out with XVid4PSP and now I may start doing this with many of my videos from this point forward.

Got fed up with my desktop being so cluttered, so I finally decided to clean it up and it feels pretty refreshing to see it's no longer a mess! :)

After not using it for a some time, I retired Adobe Photoshop Elements 13. I was thinking it was going to be a program as effective as Photshop but without the full suite offered by Photoshop. I also have been a bit more comfortable using GIMP after giving it another chance. This actually happened yesterday or so.

Tested my new Gigabyte GTX 1080 with the 3DMark Time Spy and Fire Strike benchmarks, aswell as the Unigine Heaven benchmark. Aswell as testing The Division on higher graphics settings.

Safe to say, I was quite pleased with my upgrade from my old GTX 780 OC. :sly:

This doesn't warrant starting a new thread so I'm hoping to find some help here: Out of curiosity, I'd like to try an alternate Windows 10 shell - are there any that are configurable so that you can have literally nothing on the desktop except for your background image? Also, do alternate shells cause any compatibility issues with games or applications, or are they literally just a graphical modification?

Connected an old netbook HDD to my laptop using my adapter and was having issues getting it to power up. Tried other HDD's and they also did it. Thought I had a bad power cable, but then I unplugged the power from the HDD and reconnected it (which isn't smart) and then it worked fine afterwards!

Not too sure what it was, but I am just glad it works because I thought I needed a new adapter. I do know mine seems to work only if it's done in a certain order. I guess that's what happens when I don't mess with something for too long, I forget these things. :indiff:

This doesn't warrant starting a new thread so I'm hoping to find some help here: Out of curiosity, I'd like to try an alternate Windows 10 shell - are there any that are configurable so that you can have literally nothing on the desktop except for your background image? Also, do alternate shells cause any compatibility issues with games or applications, or are they literally just a graphical modification?

The shells are normally explorer.exe replacements, like classic shell

This is something I probably should have done a long time ago. Remember how I talked down about my external 1TB drive? Well, I managed to insert the USB cable into the available 3.0 USB port on my computer. Not once has it beeped while hooked in. Usually, it would beep a lot when hooked into a standard USB jack. The 3.0 USB connection really works wonders and runs quite fast. I actually needed this to try to save up space to try to put a game on my old external drive. If everything goes well, I may indeed start using my 1TB drive more religiously than my old 320GB external drive I've used for just about a decade across two different PCs. It is also possible I may move over my Steam games from my old external drive and play them on my 1TB drive. For now, I am just enjoying the greater speed and efficiency of the 1TB drive of mine through using the USB 3.0 port rather than a standard USB port.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, mates! :D 👍

Apparently I got malware from a program I recently installed. It changed my search engine to something else, something that didn't seem right and I couldn't change it back, so I spent some trying to remove it. Tried resetting Chrome, uninstalling it and even deleting folders related to it afterwards and no luck! Then I read here, ran the Chrome policy remover and now it's gone! :D I think I may have accidentally deleted my extensions so I guess i'll have to get them back, but at least that unwanted search engine is gone! :D

The shells are normally explorer.exe replacements, like classic shell

As it turns out, in Windows 10 you can actually replace the shell with an .exe which would be perfect - but you need to be running either Enterprise or Education to do that. Enterprise is out of the question for our scope of deployment so I guess I'll look into Education, until then I suppose we'll have to make do with killing Explorer with a batch file at boot.

DSC_0322.JPG

DSC_0323.JPG
DSC_0323.JPG

Shortened the case so that it fits the new cabinet, and this is the inside after the modifications.

DSC_0331.JPG

Bottom left (the front) is a fan for air going in, the cpu and psu fans both blow out of the rear. There will be a hole in the cabinet to vent the hot air out.

Restored my old 160GB Ipod Classic today. It would partially play some songs, then skip to the next one before it finishes, even if I went back and tried to play it again, first time i've had this problem in years. (It never did this on Itunes though) Sure I could just remove the ones that skip and then add them back, but the problem is I have encountered so many that do this and possibly more I haven't played yet, it's more than I can remember at once and with 918 songs on it, it would take me far too long to track them all down. So I just decided to nuke the whole thing and add them back. So far I haven't had anymore issues and maybe if i'm lucky that will solve my recent battery problem! 👍

I recently updated my display driver because I apparently hadn't done so in a while and I didn't realize it until I went on systemrequirementslab.com recently.

Last edited:
Restored my old 160GB Ipod Classic today. It would partially play some songs, then skip to the next one before it finishes, even if I went back and tried to play it again, first time i've had this problem in years. (It never did this on Itunes though) Sure I could just remove the ones that skip and then add them back, but the problem is I have encountered so many that do this and possibly more I haven't played yet, it's more than I can remember at once and with 918 songs on it, it would take me far too long to track them all down. So I just decided to nuke the whole thing and add them back. So far I haven't had anymore issues and maybe if i'm lucky that will solve my recent battery problem! 👍

That reminds me, I'd better charge up my 4G iPod Classic, just to keep the juices flowing. Still works OK last time I checked. It's got 20GB of storage... wow! I've had issues in the past where the HDD seemed to get fragmented and songs would half play or fail but wiping it seems to fix the issue.

That reminds me, I'd better charge up my 4G iPod Classic, just to keep the juices flowing. Still works OK last time I checked.
Mine I think is the latest model they released. I certainly would charge it up if you haven't in a while because I went years without using my PS Vita and it took very long to charge when I plugged it up again. Of course don't charge it and then not use it for a long time because that's obviously not good for it.
It's got 20GB of storage... wow! I've had issues in the past where the HDD seemed to get fragmented and songs would half play or fail but wiping it seems to fix the issue.
Wow, to think that used to be plenty for me long ago. I had a few songs from an album that would skip, but after restoring it, I was able to play the whole album without issue. 👍

I should point out my recent battery issue was one moment it would have like 80% battery, I turn it off and then check roughly an hour later and then the battery would somehow go to being absolutely dead despite turning it off. I wonder if the software that indicates how much power it has was not working right. However after restoring it, I haven't had it happen anymore, but it may be too early to tell.

Last edited:
Received my Surface Book today. I haven't had a laptop in years, and it's awfully nice. And having a tablet on the bog is even better than I could have imagined. :P

It was 12:22 pm when I got the text; it was a short message from my brother telling me I had about 5 parcels. My heart skipped a beat as I finally had the parts to put together my 1st PC, a moment I had paid a month's worth of wages to get to.

I spent the next few hours in University, trying to work but ultimately distracted by the idea of finally being able to make a website without my laptop letting me know it was suffering for my art. An hour or so passed and my thought turned to how I would mod my favourite games, the endless possibilities occupying the parts of my brain that should have really been focusing on the task at hand. I tried to eat something just to take my mind off of the beast I was about to unleash upon the world, that didn't work. I tried to chat with friends, exchanging jokes and anecdotes about various topics from the state of the world to the terror currently sitting in Number 10 Downing Street, but my thoughts remained with the terror currently sitting in 10 different boxes at home.

Another hour went by and I gave up. I let the thoughts consume me and headed home ready to spend the next few hours building my own monster. "This must be what Frankenstein felt like" I though to myself.

The next hour was spent unpacking everything. Enough boxes to not just build a mere Fort, but to build Hadrian's wall. The bin men would surely recoil in horror at the pile of cardboard that came as a result of this build.

The next hour was spent finding my tools and attaching the power supply and hard drives. The heart and the memory of my monster were firmly in place as i unwrapped the motherboard, I began arranging everything for the last part of the build when I picked up the 2 sticks that would make up the computersc ram. I began to place them onto the motherboard but they wouldn't fit, had I put them in the wrong way? No. Had I put them in the wrong place? Again, no. Had I actually bought DDR3 RAM rather than DDR4 RAM which is what my motherboard supports because I didn't read enough in to my motherboard's specs? Yes, yes I had. 🤬

I have been trying to figure out how to resolve Vivaldi giving me a white screen when I view streaming media. I sue the HTML5 player, and Vivaldi recently has given me a white screen when viewing streaming video on sites like Facebook, YouTube Gaming, and Twitch among others. I don't have this problem with Firefox. Seems more a Vivaldi problem.

I have been trying to figure out how to resolve Vivaldi giving me a white screen when I view streaming media. I sue the HTML5 player, and Vivaldi recently has given me a white screen when viewing streaming video on sites like Facebook, YouTube Gaming, and Twitch among others. I don't have this problem with Firefox. Seems more a Vivaldi problem.

Make sure DRM is enabled, and hardware acceleration is disabled.

Seems like my white screen issue when viewing streaming video has been resolved in Vivaldi. I took out one command line parameter that seemed to work. I disable Vsync originally with Vivaldi. What specific thing I disabled or took out of the command line, however, is something I forgot. But I think all is well now.

My new Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102 had its hard drive completely crap out. I'm in the process of loading a new Win. 10 .iso on my spare 250 GB hard drive to load into the computer.

^Will that even work?

I recently learned that iTunes removed the ability to copy apps to and from my device. So I downloaded a program that could and backed up my stuff. A puzzle app I play called "Flow Free" is one I tend to enjoy, but since some puzzles are hard, I didn't have many hints left and I was not about to use micro transactions to get them. So I replaced a file on the app and used the program to copy it back, now I literally have 999,999 hints. I think i'll be good for a while! :)

Messed with some of my PC games today and I have discovered many of them are having issues displaying now when they didn't before. For instance:
  • Lego Island 2 will come up and the sound plays, but the screen is black and I cannot do anything. Sometimes the intro FMV will show, but it will be misaligned and only take up a very small portion of the screen.
  • Re-Volt, Hot Wheels Micro Racers, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver 1 and 2, Nerf Arena Blast, Call of Duty Black Ops, Test Drive, and Star Wars Battlefront II will show for about a second or two, then minimize and will continue to do so every time I try to bring them back up. The Hot Wheels games will even give me error messages saying I need to install DirectX 5, 6, or 7, when I am pretty sure I already did....
All these games worked properly on my computer before, some of which I played just a few months ago, but for some reason they don't now. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling some of these games and even doing the same to my display adapters, but no luck! I have only had my laptop a little over a year now and apparently something recently happened that's caused this. Since I don't do much PC gaming, I am absolutely perplexed as to what it could be.

I have taken the time to back up some of my stuff on my portable HDD and sort things out a bit. It's sad Lego Island 2 isn't working right since I haven't played through it yet and the fact Battlefront II is doing this just makes me want to do a system restore! :banghead: I am contemplating on doing it if I cannot find a fix for this. For now, I think I am going to step away from this and try to find a solution later.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to PM me.

Edit: Apparently this was much more recent than I thought! I tried NFS World offline just a while ago and it's doing this too despite the fact it worked before, and I only installed it 2 days ago....

Last edited:
I have a question for the more knowledgeable in here.

Does anyone know if an i7-3630QM will support Intel 4400 graphics?

Alternatively, are there reasonably priced video cards that'll with with my laptop? (Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102)

You cannot put a card GPU in to a laptop. They are either built in to the CPU or on to the motherboard.
USB card. I forgot to specify that I was looking at a USB card.

That CPU has Intel 4000 graphics.
I asked a coworker at my internship.

My i7 will support the drivers and run Intel 4400, but my board won't.

Cleaned the dust out of the gaming and media PC's.

Hm, probably about time to do mine, too. Then again I'm saving to upgrade my CPU, motherboard and RAM at the end of the month so I might as well wait until I do that.

Speaking of which, I cleaned the Mac Pro I use at work the other day, there was a good 10-15mm of fluffy dust on the processor's daughter board and blowing out the 5870 took ages, it just kept coming! In the end, apart from the mouse bite marks that had taken some of the anodised aluminium off the bottom edges of the case, it looked as good as new. Thankfully the workshop has plumbed-in air guns, it would never have been as clean if I was using cans.

USB card. I forgot to specify that I was looking at a USB card.

I asked a coworker at my internship.

My i7 will support the drivers and run Intel 4400, but my board won't.

The graphics are integrated on to the chip. Drivers wont change that.

What speed USB do you have? (2.0, 3.0, 3.1?). USB graphics aren't great. Unless you spend a lot of money, you wont get much more performance than the HD 4000.

Back