What Is The Best Car To ENJOY The Nurburgring 4 Hours?

• Thread starter dabest2500
  • 475 comments
Highlandor
I used the Nissan Falken R34gtr race car.

It was built for the Nurburgring 24hr race so I thought it'd be appropriate to do the 4hr race too, a bit like ''taking it home''..

(I love nostalgia)..

It might not be the fastest in out and out lap time, but what I found out about this car is that it's totally relentless..

If you put a wheel, or two, or three or four (!!) on the grass - it keeps going.
Bang the kerbs hard - it keeps going
Tyres wearing out - it keeps going

Basically, it's unstoppable, apart from the pit stops all of my lap times were within 10-15 seconds of each other. I didn't spin, crash, roll over or come to a stop once (other than scheduled pit stop).

This is what you need for an endurance race. Before the race I liked the car, after the race I loved the car. It was the only endurance race I've really enjoyed so far, and didn't have a sense of utter relief when crossing the finish line.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Nissan Falken R34gtr race car

Thanks, i just got one of these from the used dealership and am now eager to try it out

I recently beat this race for the first time. I used a fully-tuned Ferrari 430 Scuderia. It just drives so nice. It's got stable handling and is such a well-rounded car. I won by just over one lap ahead of the S2000 GT1.

I found myself enjoying the hell out of that race so much, that I'm probably going to do it again for the experience and the sheer joy of driving around the nurburgring in a sweet car. Maybe a fully-tuned 458 next time. Or perhaps an R8?

amuse s2000 gt1 turbo is a dream on this track with the settings found in the tuning section

Is the Falken GT-R fast enough to win this race? It's a super solid car, but I couldn't get fast enough laps out of it to keep ahead of the GT1 Turbo...

I started this race with the Falken GT-R, but I quit because it does 8:50 laps and The Nurb is stressfull enough as it is without having that S2000 GT1 and the Audi constantly breathing down my neck.

Call me lame, but I'm looking for something that would win the race comfortably. Keyword: comfortably, so not the X2010 or FGT. The Minolta, R10 and Escudo are too twitchy for the narrow road... Help!

Any suggestions?

SERIOUSLY? !!!! I've been using this car on repeats of the last DCC race in prep for the 4hr and i kno that race is on the full 24h circuit which is slightly longer than the "V" circuit of the 4hr, but even so i can do low 8:20's with the falken, so are you stopping to make a cuppa halfway round????!!!
And this is with a stock car, oil change on RS's. Can't see how it would be a whole half a minute slower on RH's??? Is it??? :rolleyes:
BTW, this car will give you a good race on the Nurb DCC race, a win is do-able without the Jag XJR-9, with it, be prepared to block on the straight bits on the last lap !!!!

The premium model castrol toms supra handles like a dream on nurb. One of the funnest cars to drive in the game, along with the premium amuse s2000.

SERIOUSLY? !!!! I've been using this car on repeats of the last DCC race in prep for the 4hr and i kno that race is on the full 24h circuit which is slightly longer than the "V" circuit of the 4hr, but even so i can do low 8:20's with the falken, so are you stopping to make a cuppa halfway round????!!!
And this is with a stock car, oil change on RS's. Can't see how it would be a whole half a minute slower on RH's??? Is it??? :rolleyes:

Yes, I usually park the car at Schwedenkreuz for a quick smoke and a sammich.

I have no idea why it takes 8:50 on Nurb. Perhaps I suck with a controller, maybe it is because overtaking on the Nordschleife is so freaking difficult because the road is too narrow and the AI always bumps you into the grass...

Yes, I usually park the car at Schwedenkreuz for a quick smoke and a sammich.

I have no idea why it takes 8:50 on Nurb. Perhaps I suck with a controller, maybe it is because overtaking on the Nordschleife is so freaking difficult because the road is too narrow and the AI always bumps you into the grass...

Good come-back!!! lol!!! Ok dude, i ain't raced the 4hr yet so i'll say no more till i do. Im also using a controller and that car does drive like a dream on the Nurb. When doing the Dream car Nürb race, against super GT's and that pesky XJR-9, i'm usually in the lead by a 1/3 of the way round the GP section so i guess i should be too on the 4hr.
You need to max the downforce of the Falken, soften the springs a little to cope better with the bumps, dont stretch the trans out too much ( you won't improve your v-max by much but you will rob your car of its acceleration out of the twisty bits, which is where you make up the real time in this car ), soften the rebound of your dampers ( again, smoothes out the bumps a bit ). But above all, learn the track OFF BY HEART!!! (if you don't aready!!)
Note: i installed the torque converter to bias the car more toward a rwd feel, stops it 'pulling straight on' so much thru the corners.

:
Good come-back!!! lol!!! Ok dude, i ain't raced the 4hr yet so i'll say no more till i do. Im also using a controller and that car does drive like a dream on the Nurb. When doing the Dream car Nürb race, against super GT's and that pesky XJR-9, i'm usually in the lead by a 1/3 of the way round the GP section so i guess i should be too on the 4hr.
You need to max the downforce of the Falken, soften the springs a little to cope better with the bumps, dont stretch the trans out too much ( you won't improve your v-max by much but you will rob your car of its acceleration out of the twisty bits, which is where you make up the real time in this car ), soften the rebound of your dampers ( again, smoothes out the bumps a bit ). But above all, learn the track OFF BY HEART!!! (if you don't aready!!)
Note: i installed the torque converter to bias the car more toward a rwd feel, stops it 'pulling straight on' so much thru the corners.

Sorry, it was early when i put this on!!!
I meant bound (compression), not rebound!!!! Meh!!! :yuck::crazy:👎:ouch:

Same here. Did the race 2 times already with the M3 GTR Race Car and I had a blast. That car was made for the Nordschleife. 👍

I can't wait to do it in this car also!! Remember using it to do the 24hr race in GT4 and it was awesome!!!! It has raced the 24hr race just like the Falken ( unlike ANY group C or LMP cars !!!! )

I tried doing this before but for some reason my car (NSX RM) didn't steer to the left too well after 8 laps and it hadn't taken a knock.

I have other cars that I could use and a boat load would win it easily but I really want that close competition.

Has anyone tried this event with a Calsonic Skyline '00 or a Ferrari SP1?

I know that the Falken R34 has been a favourite but that is one car I haven't got. I do have the Amuse S2000 GT1 but I want to go for something different

Mine's R34 GTR. The Audi R8 LMS stayed in my mirrors almost the entire race! I finished with a 30 second gap.

Vitzio
Mine's R34 GTR. The Audi R8 LMS stayed in my mirrors almost the entire race! I finished with a 30 second gap.

I may give that a shot tomorrow :)
Or any other suggestions!?

I did it with the AEM modded Honda S2000. I'm pretty sure you win it from one of the events. If you race it with the tires that the rest of the competition has you should do fine. Just make sure you pit regularly because if you are caught half way through the lap when your tires become useless you can be screwed for the rest of the race.

How about the Ruf Yellowbird?
Or will that be too mentally tiring?
This is my Green Hell track day beast that I use online. :)

I haven't done the 4 hour yet, but I would recommend Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car. It is amazing on Nordschleife so I guess it will be equally amazing on the 4h track. I will use that car without a doubt when I decide to do the race.

I have a couple of questions still, I'd be much obliged if someone helped me with them:

1.) What are the lap average lap times of the competitors?
2.) What tyres do they use?
3.) What are their pit windows?
4.) Which tyres are reccomended for me to use? I've heard there's a bug with Racing tyres that means Hards last almost as much as Softs but with the obvious difference in grip.
5.) What's the P.P my car should have for the race?
6.) Is a SuperGT GT-R an overkill?

Thanks in advance fellows!

Vitzio

EPIC is all I have to say...what a race and I knew the Mine's was good...but driving it for the first time on Green Hell was awesome

McLaren F1 on Racing Softs was quite fun for me.
I was about 30secs in the lead, bu then i think they pitted on the last lap and then i ended up with a 3minute lead, but till then it was tight.

1.) What are the lap average lap times of the competitors?
2.) What tyres do they use?
3.) What are their pit windows?
4.) Which tyres are reccomended for me to use? I've heard there's a bug with Racing tyres that means Hards last almost as much as Softs but with the obvious difference in grip.
5.) What's the P.P my car should have for the race?
6.) Is a SuperGT GT-R an overkill?

1. S2000 GT1 Turbo and Audi R8 LMS are in the 8.40 range (average), the others around 9.00
2. Racing Mediums iirc
3. Usually every 5 laps
4. Softs last almost as long as hards, so go for sports softs or racing softs
5. Tough < 500 PP < Sweet < 550 PP < Easy
6. imo, yes.

Suggested cars for a nice battle: BMW M3 CSL @ 500 PP (SS), Honda S2000 LM race car (RS), RE Amemiya FD3S (stock, SS), Suzuki GSXR4 (engine stock, RS), Alfa TZ2 (stock, RS), Autobacs Arta Garaiya '03 (stock, RH) and many more...

Last edited:
I used the M3 GTR Race Car and it was a joyous race, great times :)

I used the M3 GTR Race car as well and it was amazing - perfect for the track. It was a bit over-tuned for the competition so I am going to try the Mine's R34 GTR on my next run and match them better.

My controller was low on batteries so I had to sit right up by the TV so I could race/charge at the same time. If anyone here has a big screen I recommend moving closer than your normal TV viewing distance. I was on the edge of my seat, loving it. My lap times improved considerably as well.

I actually screwed up and got caught out in the middle of the track in need of new tires. I drove half the lap backwards since my front set was less worn than my back. Made it more fun to chase down the competition, one at a time, and by the third hour I was back in it.

Although I didn't think I would like the endurance races I am kinda enjoying them.

-DD

Thinking of using my 492pp BMW Z4 M coupe, would it be competitive? Love driving this thing on the ring, painted it neon green.

just finished the 4hour nurb enduro with a Ferarri Italia fully tuned but the engine tuned to 50% (344hp) .
I did not ballast the car, so it's weight is lowest with available tuning upgrades (~1250kb - cant remember exactly right now)
it took me about 2 laps to get warmed up, and passed the S2000 (there was no R8) before starting the 3rd.
I stuck to 5 lap sets of tires - my suspension / drivetrain / brake balance were all working nicely together and allowing me to wear on the tires nice and evenly in terms of heat AND wear.
i was able to get times in the range of 8:25-8:35 about 3 laps per set of tires - with the lead lap being slow to pit stop, and the last lap being low on tires / entering pit.
lead laps tended to be in the 9:15 range, and tail laps around 8:40

Took the last couple laps easy and ended up finishing around 4min10secs ahead of the S2000
i had a few tries before starting at 85% , 70%, and 60% , but found they were too easy. maxed out the handicap at 50% and thought it would be enough but apparently not.
I found it strange i was able to outdrive the 600+hp 1100kg S2000 with a car nearly half the HP and HEAVIER....
the race lasted 28 laps with the timer finishing around 3 mins into the 28th lap
i was strict with my pit stops and it worked out nicely.
Seems the tank on the car(Italia) is around 100-120liters, with a lap taking around 12.5 liters with my pace
i figured 5 laps (1 set of tires) to take about 60-62.5 liters of fuel
my strategy was executed like this:
1st set - pit stop at end of 5th - around 45% fuel left - added 30 liters
2nd set - pit stop at end of 10th - around 30% fuel left - added 45 liters
3rd set - pit stop at end of 15th - around 10% fuel left - added 60 liters
i then continued to follow that cycle adding between 60-65 liters each pit which seemed to cover the use of each set of tires.
until the last pit which i knew only had 3 laps to do , where i put 40 liters to keep the car light.
i had a smooth and clean race , with only about 5-6 offs in the whole 28 laps - 2 of which were considerable offs (~10 seconds lost)
the Italia @ 344 HP with all aids off and ABS 4 drives exceptionally well with the setup I have. 8:24 being my best time (replay is saved, and i did it on second lap)
- I dont remember the PP on it, but next time im in GT5 I will check.
i believe this may be a decent challenge to some out there - others maybe not so much.
anyways, hope my experiences can help others have an enjoyable experience in this race as well!

I just beat the Laguna Seca Enduro with an EVO X on SS and a semi-Racing exhaut, so to keep in tradition I'm thinking of a RM'ed EVO IX running at around 360 HP and weighing one ton with RS. Overkill?

Back