What Is The Best Car To ENJOY The Nurburgring 4 Hours?

• Thread starter dabest2500
  • 475 comments
I just completed the Nurburgring 4hr race. I won by 4 laps. I did it in the Gran Turismo Ford GT LM race car.

I can't say it was the most enjoyable car for the race but I wanted to win that prize car really bad so I chose a car that I knew would smoke the competition.

I'll do that race again soon with a more competitive car. I'd like to battle cars for laps at a time. I know that's hard to do with the AI but leading the whole race wasn't fun.

A detuned M3 sounds fun. The Lexus ISF RM might be cool too...

the nissan gt-r race car is what i used and i liked it, it churns out 712 hp and smooth gear changes, it's also really really grippy

Uh...hello? The X2010 is by FAR the best to "enjoy" AND use in this race on both A & B-spec.

👎

Strongly disagree. It's not a car, it's pipe dream.

I like to test RM cars here. The TVR Speed 6 was fantastic fun and the Dodge Challenger held its ground easily.

You must win the race to get the R8. It's Definitely worth it in my opinion.
I used the jaguar xj and gold chromed it after the win ;)

Gold Jag FTW! I only came in second in mine though- crossed the line in first without completing the 4hrs then went off on the corner after the start with the s2k-T breathing down my neck, in second place had to finish that lap at 50mph when I ran out of fuel after not planning for that extra lap!!

Uh...hello? The X2010 is by FAR the best to "enjoy" AND use in this race on both A & B-spec.

Uh...hello? The X2010 hasn't ever been driven in the real world and completely breaks every event. Every single one.

I personally think that it comes down not to the most enjoyable car but rather the one that can kill off the Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo NoobTube by the least amount. I would suggest a tuned M3 for true insanity, or a Super GT if you want it to be at least a little less challenging.

After a lot of debate and reading this thread I decided the way forward for me was a German Touring car. I did some trial laps of the ring in the following cars in my garage.

Audi A4 Touring Car '04
Audi Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
Opel Calibra Touring Car '94

The results weren't quite what I was expecting but do we have a winner.

The M3 was out straight away as I don't have a good enough tune to keep it on the track. The Calibra just wasn't quick enough. The A4 and TT-R were only a second apart although I have to say I favour the A4.

So there it is the Opel Astra, which I could get round a lap 10 seconds quicker than any of the rest. Had a really enjoyable race, pitting every 4 laps and managed to eek out a decent lead by the end. I ended up doing 27 laps as I was 6:11:xx ahead at the end of the 27th lap and there was only about 6 mins left on the clock. I sat 2 metres from the start/finish line and watched the clock run out. really well timed, as the 4 hours came up, I crossed the line to save another whole lap and literally 6-8 seconds later second place flew past me.

Last edited:
I did it with the Nismo 380RS Super Leggera.

Tried it out in the Tuners Championship to see if it was a lot slower than the S2000 GT1 Turbo. I didn't like the understeer on Suzuka, but added ECU and Filter and used the 4hr race to try the car on the Ring.

Much to my surprise, the 380RS handled the track great, riding the kerbs with ease and turning much easier than on the racing circuit. The GT1 Turbo wasn't in the lineup so I made a bolt for it. I won the Audi and got to bed about three hours later than I'd planned.

I did it with the Nismo 380RS Super Leggera.

Tried it out in the Tuners Championship to see if it was a lot slower than the S2000 GT1 Turbo. I didn't like the understeer on Suzuka, but added ECU and Filter and used the 4hr race to try the car on the Ring.

Much to my surprise, the 380RS handled the track great, riding the kerbs with ease and turning much easier than on the racing circuit. The GT1 Turbo wasn't in the lineup so I made a bolt for it. I won the Audi and got to bed about three hours later than I'd planned.

What tyres did you used? I always used Racing Soft (given that the stupid Hards just last as long) and won easily with a 400HP race-modded Lancer IX. I tried another time with a Wedssport Lexus SuperGT300 and was having a good time with the S2000 Turbo but I had to go away from home and had to turn my PS3 off after 2 hours of race.

The X2010 is an automatic win button that kills your arms troughout the race. I can't endure that stupid noise and the way my G27 wheel shakes when I'm driving it. Also, I hate that whenever I step out of it I revive those dark old days of GT3 when I had the F/090S and became so spoilt with it that I became a useless driver (I.E: Seldom use of the brakes, ridiculous handling trough corners, never letting the throttle, etc...).

What tyres did you used?

Good point, the most significant upgrade to the car. I added Race Hards because the AI used them in the Tuners race.

Pitted every 5 laps, as did the AI from what I could tell. I wouldn't have beaten the GT1, my lap times were ~8.35-8.45, outlap ~9.00.

I've done it four times, 1st with DTM Opel was fun won by a lap,2nd was the GT300 Lexus Wedsport won did it with the S2000 LM(purple) 3rd time freaked case I hit S/F line 12 seconds ahead and at 3h59m mark and got bumped to 8th or 9th but finished lap and won, last time did it with Audi R8 LMS and had a ball set it up real loose no aero sport soft what a rush thru the twisty bits, but by far the S2000 LM was the best slow down by lap 23 and you'll be done at the turn of lap 24

HTH
Charles

I've got it going in the McLaren F1 with soft tires, stiff suspension, 3/2º camber, and TCS set to 3 (i've also got the driving line on). Every lap is just so satisfying. It's got the perfect amount of power and weight. I am having to pit in every 2 laps, but it is totally worth it. I've also got a wing on it, and would recommend it as the downforce is very helpful on this track. Great car for this race.

Man,this thread turned into a "novel",quite a read but some great input here!I'm going to do the 4 hour this weekend and was looking for a challenging car to try it in so I'm thinking I'm going to give the (don't laugh) Ginetta G4 with the "full tune" a try...under 500kg weight and 277hp on racing hards,if that fails I can always use the Falken Skyline or the BMW M3 GTR!:dopey:

Earlier today,(Thursday) I won the B-Spec Historic race using the Toyota 7 and finally got the '65 Alfa TZ2 Zagato that I've been lusting after since I got the game on release day....only trouble is I won it in a "sub-account"....S**T! When I won the series in my main account it gave me some crappy azzed junk I don't even remember now but of course it gave me the car I really wanted to use for the 4 hour race at the 'ring in a sub-account that is'nt even close to the level to run that race!Ah well,back to grinding credits for the main account so I can buy the damn thing!
GT5Shots378.jpg

Here's what I've decided to use!

Wow that car looks good. I never even once thought of painting it. Like I do with most cars :)

I just did this race on Saturday.

Used a C5 Corvette Z06 (2004).

630HP, Sports Soft Tires, no Aids.

Won by 15 seconds over the Audi TT. The S2000 GT1 Turbo was clearly the fastest opponent, but it couldn't do the 6 laps on a set of tires that it kept trying.

Last car I ran it in was the Premium Civic Saloon @ about 450pp.

Sure the fronts (racing med) only lasted 3 laps but it was touch & go for a while.

Trouble with this race is that the AI makes bad pit decisions, often staying out on tyres already run ragged. Plus,it always tops the tank up, and therefore runs too heavy (assuming fuel weighs anything in GT5 - it certainly feels that way to me)

I just did this race Saturday as well.
Absolute Blast!!

I used the Amuse S2000 (love that car:drool: LOVE), with all aids off, no map, no HUD, and only tuned the suspension a little.

Started with race Hard tires until the first pit, then changed to race mediums.
Most AI cars would pit on lap 5,10,15.. but with Hards, I was barely able to make it around the last part of the 5th lap, so I switched strategies, and went with race Mediums, pitting every 3 laps. (pretty sure I did the 24hrs of Nurburgring exactly the same....in GT4! - Shelby Cobra though - 24 hrs in style!)

Refuling was 43 litres each pit (careful though, this leaves the car with a sliver of RED left in the tank quage).

Won by a little over 1 lap, with some (4) cars lapped 3 times.
Best lap was 8:08 (remember, you only get 1 out lap, 1 hot, and 1 in).
Loved every minute of it.

Now the 24 hrs... I only wish I could pass off my car to an online friend when I pit, and let them race parts so it could be completed in 24 hrs straight, or close, rather than the 4 days I imagine it will take (more like 6-7).
That would be Sweeeeet!:sly:

I did the 4hour event with a newly aquired Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car (or was it road car?) It was painted all red with decals, and such.

I took it on stock settings, equipped it with sport soft, and racing hards, safe avg laps of 8:45s, best 8:30s, but I never raced hard. Tire wear was awful on this car, or is it like this on every car? I pit every 2 laps for tire change, because this car is dangerous on tires past a quarter wear. Best handling was with fuel at a quarter tank.

Driving this car on sport softs felt like an absolute nono

Overall , great handling, 8.8/10, might do again tuned.

Notes, this car gives rock solid confidence on the long right turn, which then leads to the first Carousel.

Last edited:
I used the Nissan Falken R34gtr race car.

It was built for the Nurburgring 24hr race so I thought it'd be appropriate to do the 4hr race too, a bit like ''taking it home''..

(I love nostalgia)..

It might not be the fastest in out and out lap time, but what I found out about this car is that it's totally relentless..

If you put a wheel, or two, or three or four (!!) on the grass - it keeps going.
Bang the kerbs hard - it keeps going
Tyres wearing out - it keeps going

Basically, it's unstoppable, apart from the pit stops all of my lap times were within 10-15 seconds of each other. I didn't spin, crash, roll over or come to a stop once (other than scheduled pit stop).

This is what you need for an endurance race. Before the race I liked the car, after the race I loved the car. It was the only endurance race I've really enjoyed so far, and didn't have a sense of utter relief when crossing the finish line.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Nissan Falken R34gtr race car

What he said ^^^

I took mine to the 'Ring last nite, first time out, ds3 (all aids off except ABS1, mid range turbo, racing softs) ran with the big boys in GT All Stars, and did a 7.01 my FIRST try!-(9th overall) WOOHOO!

Last edited:
I used the Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA RM '05, you can buy the IMPREZA sedan wrx sti '05 in the dealerships and put racing mods on it to get this bad boy. I tuned it all the way, to just above 500 hp, put on some racing softs, and went to the 'ring. it was way to easy the first time, so i used the power limiter, and kept testing it at diffrent HPs to find what gave me the most competative race, with a little breathing room of course ;)
I finally settled on it with the power limiter at 70%, giving it 360 hp or so. now i know some of you are thinking "360hp against 600hp? Are you kidding?" even with that, you can hang with your opponents on the straights, and gain a second or two along some of the turns. My first lap put me 15 secs ahead of the others, which my lap time was 8:50:033. Make sure your not racing a S2000 Turbo, they ruin all the fun 👎

But this car is amazingly smooth, sexy, and fun to drive. I used traction control on 4 as my only assist for the race. it still lets you spin the back out around some of the turns, and drive it nice. Definitly my favorite car

Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car. ABS 2 TC 2

Finished 6:10 in front. Best Lap 8:12.

I could only do 3 laps per set of tyres because after that it was very hairy to drive. Had plenty of offings and spins but that is the sort of challenge I like. If the car is on rails I find it boring. Nothing like knowing you can get ~25 secs ahead per lap but everytime you leave the track costs you 4-12 seconds.

Last car I ran it in was the Premium Civic Saloon @ about 450pp.

Sure the fronts (racing med) only lasted 3 laps but it was touch & go for a while.

Trouble with this race is that the AI makes bad pit decisions, often staying out on tyres already run ragged. Plus,it always tops the tank up, and therefore runs too heavy (assuming fuel weighs anything in GT5 - it certainly feels that way to me)

Fuel weighs a LOT in GT5. Totally changes the handling of the car and has a major effect on lap times even on tracks much shorter than the Nordschleife.

Gotta try this event soon. It seems that the 4 hour ordeal doesn't seem so bad after all - given everyone's comments thus far.

Hi! My first post! :P

Just did this event today with a "stock" Ferrari SP1. Only changed the oil and used Sports Soft tires. All aids OFF (except ABS 1). Cockpit mode with instruments and map OFF. Only changed them on the inlaps to check the fuel level.

Car: Ferrari SP1 '08
HP: 520(before race) / 495(after race)
Weight: 1450Kg
Tires: Sports Soft
PP: 547 (before race) / 540 (after race)

I refreshed the lineup until there were no Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo or Audi R8 LMS on the grid. This allowed to even the field and provided a great fight. All the opponents used Racing Medium tires.

I tried to use Sports Medium tires, but I had to drive too aggressively to match the pace of the other cars and this made each set of tires only last 3 laps. So I had to go with the Sport Softs that lasted 4 laps. The AI does 5 laps per set of tires.

My lap times were as follows:
Best lap: 8.55
Hot laps: 8.5x - 9.0x
Inlaps: 9.1x
Outlaps: 9.4x

Pit strategy: 4-4-4-4-4-4-2 (optimal would be 4-4-4-4-4-3-3)

The first 3hours of the race were nearly flawess, but the 2nd car was never more than 1 minute behind. At the end of lap 24 we were tied for 1st place. In lap 25 the AI pitted giving me some time to breathe. I ended up winning with a 35 second lead! :)

The 2nd place finisher was the RUF CTR2, 3rd place finisher was the Mine's BNR34 SKYLINE GT-R N1.

The SP1 is a brilliant car to drive around the 'Ring. It is very focused and balanced, but never boring like most 4WD cars.

Next challenge: Stock F40 with Sports Mediums :dunce:

After reading the entire thread, I think Im going to give this a go. I have been thinking of what car would be best to run with the R8 LMS. I have a GT2 tuned M3 GTR, GT3 tuned M3 Coupe and Gallardo, ZR1 RM, and GT3 tuned 458 Italia. All are around 580pp.

I love this race, and i have done it many times.

The last time i did it i used a lexus is-f rm. Wonderful car, but i found myself raising the horsepower to 613 after the R8 kept on showing up.

I did the 4hour event with a newly aquired Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car (or was it road car?) It was painted all red with decals, and such.

I took it on stock settings, equipped it with sport soft, and racing hards, safe avg laps of 8:45s, best 8:30s, but I never raced hard. Tire wear was awful on this car, or is it like this on every car? I pit every 2 laps for tire change, because this car is dangerous on tires past a quarter wear. Best handling was with fuel at a quarter tank.

Driving this car on sport softs felt like an absolute nono

Overall , great handling, 8.8/10, might do again tuned.

Notes, this car gives rock solid confidence on the long right turn, which then leads to the first Carousel.

If it had decals it was the racecar. I have the road car version and from what i got from it sounds completely different from your experience.

I'm not getting as fast of lap times as you are but I pit in every 4 laps. However, it still has the ability to hang with the S2000 Gt1 Turbo granted it doesnt start very far ahead. The best thing about this car is that it costs around 5X cheaper than the racecar but you still get a much beter drive.

Last edited:
The GT1 Turbo didn't even finish second in my race. He ran too long on every set of tires. The Orange Audi was much smarter, and finished right behind me. No need to be afraid of the S2000.

I used the Amemiya RX-7 (Blue) last time I ran this, but this was pre-1.10 update. I wonder if the race is beatable now that the AI has been much improved...? The car was slower than the AI cars back then.

Anyone find that they can no longer use the cars they used before due to this?

I used the Nissan Falken R34gtr race car.

It was built for the Nurburgring 24hr race so I thought it'd be appropriate to do the 4hr race too, a bit like ''taking it home''..

(I love nostalgia)..

It might not be the fastest in out and out lap time, but what I found out about this car is that it's totally relentless..

If you put a wheel, or two, or three or four (!!) on the grass - it keeps going.
Bang the kerbs hard - it keeps going
Tyres wearing out - it keeps going

Basically, it's unstoppable, apart from the pit stops all of my lap times were within 10-15 seconds of each other. I didn't spin, crash, roll over or come to a stop once (other than scheduled pit stop).

This is what you need for an endurance race. Before the race I liked the car, after the race I loved the car. It was the only endurance race I've really enjoyed so far, and didn't have a sense of utter relief when crossing the finish line.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Nissan Falken R34gtr race car

👍 You really make me feel the need to run this car there right now. Great comment.

Back