What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,166 comments
I hope this is not too off topic but speaking of documentaries I have recently watched what is probably the greatest documentary on WW2: “Apocalypse: La 2eme guerre mondiale”. I highly recommend it for it’s entirely made of actual footage from the period with remarkable text commentary.
It was shown here on TV in 4 parts - and unfortunately I lost both the 1st and the last ones. Still, the bit about Guadalcanal would be enough to acknowledge it as superb (and now I know where Malick got some of his amazing scenes for The Thin Red Line!).

Check it at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1508238/

Edit: apparently you can also watch it here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/apocalypse-the-second-world-war/

Last edited:
TB
About the last thing I'd choose to watch is a documentary, doubly so if said doc is about religion but I watched the video in your link. I've heard of the Westboro Baptist Church before but I haven't seen anything this in depth.

I was disappointed that they didn't show the Hells Angels bikers at some point but that may have been because the doc was shot before the Angels did their own protesting.

Despite their complete over-the-top mentality, I don't think anyone deserves to have things thrown at them, especially a 7 year old kid.
While I absolutely do not condone what the jerks in Maxima did to that little kid, I also absolutely hold the Church responsible for putting little kids in that type of environment. Should one of the kids fall victim to violence during one of their picketing sessions, I'd hold not just the attacker responsible, but also any adult church members. They are asking for it. I think it's only a matter of time.

On the documentary, I found it very interesting. People generally overreact to something like this though. While I found this church pretty nutty, like you guys did, they are not that bad. Honestly, it really could be much worse. What makes this one so special is that it's a ultra hardcore religious group. There are so many messed up families out there with kids drinking, abusing hard drugs, having sex, abused, etc., etc. You think those Westboro Baptist Church kids are messed up, I'd think we've all known crazier, more disturbing people. And they don't just call you names, or picket your funeral. They'll actually physically do stuff to you, your things.

That's my take on the subject, but again, I thought the documentary was well made. It was as neutral as you could hope documentaries to be. If they actually dug deeper, I'd give them a higher grade. But for fair observation, I'd give this "B+"

I agree with everything you said, a6. There certainly are worse things out there than these people, but it's still a crying shame that are using what amounts to kids as human shields, they feel justified at laughing at weddings, they feel like they can't fall in love with an "outsider", etc.

One clarification to my previous post, though - it isn't Hell's Angels, it's the Patriot Guard that goes to soldiers funerals and blocks the families from these nut jobs.

Zombieland - In a word, awesome. A great mix of action, brutality and comedy. I'm not a huge zombie movie fan, but I've seen a number of them and this is easily my new favorite. 👍👍

Funny People

NOT funny :) While portraying an interesting perspective on the real world lives of stand up comics and the comic industry, it is quite a sad and depressing account of Adam Sandler's character's life.

Last edited:
ZombieLand. Twas the wife's Valentines Day gift to me. Very Funny movie.

Although the Bill Murray Death was easily predictable.

I'm hoping to watch it again soon with the commentary from the actors.

Ranks right up there with Shawn of the Dead

While I absolutely do not condone what the jerks in Maxima did to that little kid, I also absolutely hold the Church responsible for putting little kids in that type of environment. Should one of the kids fall victim to violence during one of their picketing sessions, I'd hold not just the attacker responsible, but also any adult church members. They are asking for it. I think it's only a matter of time.

On the documentary, I found it very interesting. People generally overreact to something like this though. While I found this church pretty nutty, like you guys did, they are not that bad. Honestly, it really could be much worse. What makes this one so special is that it's a ultra hardcore religious group. There are so many messed up families out there with kids drinking, abusing hard drugs, having sex, abused, etc., etc. You think those Westboro Baptist Church kids are messed up, I'd think we've all known crazier, more disturbing people. And they don't just call you names, or picket your funeral. They'll actually physically do stuff to you, your things.

That's my take on the subject, but again, I thought the documentary was well made. It was as neutral as you could hope documentaries to be. If they actually dug deeper, I'd give them a higher grade. But for fair observation, I'd give this "B+"

The Westboro Baptist "Church" protested at the high school I graduated from. I knew nothing about it until the news cast that night after I got home from work.

TB
One clarification to my previous post, though - it isn't Hell's Angels, it's the Patriot Guard that goes to soldiers funerals and blocks the families from these nut jobs.
It's pure class vs no-class. Is it horrible that I'd love to see the two party clash? :dopey:

You do see that coming, but we sure didn't expect to see him in this movie. Even after they showed his initials on the gate, I had no idea. What a treat! :lol:

Shaun of the Dead I think is a better film, but I do like Zombieland more. You couldn't go wrong either way, really.
The Westboro Baptist "Church" protested at the high school I graduated from. I knew nothing about it until the news cast that night after I got home from work.
I had heard of these guys before, but I didn't really understand what they were about before seeing this documentary. I thought they just protested funerals of gay soldiers. It's one of those things, they do have the right to protest, but they really don't. Without those soldiers serving, they wouldn't have the degree of freedom those church members enjoy. Way I look at it, drop them off by Hamas' neighborhood for a week or two. See if they wanna still go around picketing back home. :D

ZombieLand. Twas the wife's Valentines Day gift to me. Very Funny movie.

Easily predictable yes, funny? Hell yes:dopey:

I saw half of the Westboro Retard unreligious group yesterday and I have to agree... taking a kid to that sort of demonstration is completely irresponsible. More to the point, the demonstrations seemed to me as inciting enough to get a reaction from people so they can say they are 'persecuted for telling the truth'. In any case someone approached them telling them why they thought what they were doing was wrong, they were bullied directly by the members and wouldn't even let them talk.

The other instance is when the journalist asks the kids if they know what the signs they're showing mean. They'd only repeat their mother's words.

I'm certainly against killing, but if someone would 'eliminate' this woman, I wouldn't feel in the last bad about it. She should be put down, not only for how crazy she is, but because of how she has 'tainted' the lives of her children and the people around her. Very sad people.

I saw half of the Westboro Retard unreligious group yesterday and I have to agree... taking a kid to that sort of demonstration is completely irresponsible. More to the point, the demonstrations seemed to me as inciting enough to get a reaction from people so they can say they are 'persecuted for telling the truth'. In any case someone approached them telling them why they thought what they were doing was wrong, they were bullied directly by the members and wouldn't even let them talk.

The other instance is when the journalist asks the kids if they know what the signs they're showing mean. They'd only repeat their mother's words.

I'm certainly against killing, but if someone would 'eliminate' this woman, I wouldn't feel in the last bad about it. She should be put down, not only for how crazy she is, but because of how she has 'tainted' the lives of her children and the people around her. Very sad people.

I was going to type up a review, as I just viewed it last night. However, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I wasn't shocked by anything in the film (although, opening with the Anti-F@#$ song was a little jarring), but I couldn't help but want to throw that woman off of something very high. Everytime she blatantly sidestepped a question, or redirected it, my girlfriend (who was an Evangelical Christian when we met 3 years ago) got up out of her seat as if to attack the Television.:lol: It was interesting to see how a former Christian reacted to the actions of those in the film.

;)

Caught Edge of Darkness. Really good honestly, so I'm pretty glad I picked it over From Paris With Love.

I can't speak for Brooklyn, but I think Mel Gibson had a perfect accent & played a terrific role. And while the plot isn't exactly new (reminds me a bit of Silkwood), it was something different for me. Lot of moments though where I thought Mel would be shot, so the suspense is there. However, there's also a few moments where you know someone is going to die.

Overall, I can't really rate it. I enjoyed it & would gladly watch it again, but it's tough for me to rate a movie that comes from a genre I don't normally watch.

Have you seen the documentary that was done on the Westboro Baptist Church?
I've seen one featuring Louis Theroux called "The Most Hated Family In America". I watched it on TV3, but I can't remember when. Here's what he (Louis) had to say about them.
Louis Theroux
I think that the pastor is not a very nice person. I think he's an angry person who's twisted the Bible and picked and chosen verses that support his anger, that sort of justify his anger, and he's instilled that in his children and they've passed it on to their children. Although the second and third generation are by and large quite nice people from what I saw, they still live under the influence of their Gramps.
I think it's horrifying how anyone can preach hate and use the Bible to justify it. What the hell happened to "Love thy neighbour"?!

That's fair. I will say this though, even when I was growing up in Japan(not during Edo-Jidai, contrary to popular belief lol), that type of behavior by guys were looked down upon. Obviously, not all samurai, regardless of from what era, behaved the way expected of bushi. I guess I found the main character way too emotional in a romantic way, too chatty, even, to be a respectful samurai. Respectful in the traditional manner, not in our modern way. Anyway, that's my opinion on that.

Bushido as a moral code for samurai wasn't in place until the middle of the edo jidai at least, back when the tokugawa had control of the country and it was relatively peaceful. When a whole lot of professional fighters had nothing to do. Incidentally, it is around this time that old japanese martial arts started to be codified and schools started. Before that, during the sengoku jidai when everyone was fighting everyone, as happens in war, people (samurai) committed all sorts of indecent, cowardly deeds. However, as the samurai class ended up in control of the country for 400 years, the idea of the samurai, and his history, was selectively remembered and rewritten.

I think it's horrifying how anyone can preach hate and use the Bible to justify it. What the hell happened to "Love thy neighbour"?!
I find most judgmental religious types to be hypocritical. Just look at their signs with f*gs this, f*gs that. Very typical of them to pick and choose what to enforce from the Bible.

Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the "judgmental" types. And it most likely applies to any religion.

Bushido as a moral code for samurai wasn't in place until the middle of the edo jidai at least, back when the tokugawa had control of the country and it was relatively peaceful. When a whole lot of professional fighters had nothing to do. Incidentally, it is around this time that old japanese martial arts started to be codified and schools started. Before that, during the sengoku jidai when everyone was fighting everyone, as happens in war, people (samurai) committed all sorts of indecent, cowardly deeds. However, as the samurai class ended up in control of the country for 400 years, the idea of the samurai, and his history, was selectively remembered and rewritten.
Yeah, dog-eat-dog, I am aware of that. And history being rewritten, it's a very common practice, and most people can read between the lines. Well, most of the time. In the States, most are aware that crazy Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, but nobody asks "why?". :lol:

Back on Samurai, even as a young kid, I had already read countless history books and were aware of so much shady business during the Sengoku-jidai. In fact, I think the first thing you learn about those times were that you couldn't trust anybody, including your own family. :dopey:

I had heard of these guys before, but I didn't really understand what they were about before seeing this documentary. I thought they just protested funerals of gay soldiers. It's one of those things, they do have the right to protest, but they really don't. Without those soldiers serving, they wouldn't have the degree of freedom those church members enjoy. Way I look at it, drop them off by Hamas' neighborhood for a week or two. See if they wanna still go around picketing back home. :D

The high school I graduated from, canceled the second half of the day because of these tools, mainly to try and avoid any potential problems that could arise from their presence.

I find most judgmental religious types to be hypocritical. Just look at their signs with f*gs this, f*gs that. Very typical of them to pick and choose what to enforce from the Bible.

Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the "judgmental" types. And it most likely applies to any religion.

What do you expect from them? Those type of people could not get any more close minded.

I watched between five and ten minutes of the documentary and had to stop after that; I was too sick of listening to all of the filth that came out of the woman's mouth. What they do with their protests is completely irresponsible and the group is not held accountable for their actions in any way at all. (Actually, irresponsibility is a common issue seemingly running rampant throughout society these days, but that is completely off-topic.)

What do you expect from them? Those type of people could not get any more close minded.
You know what? I just read what I was quoted for, and I must say, most people in general can be hypocritical. Many are also judgmental. I guess good people are the humble ones, with, or without religion. At least, I think. :D

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (6.5/10)
I can't decide if I liked it or not. It was well made, decently written and acted, but I just didn't care. Remove the whole born old, die young thing and it is just another life-long love story, like Forrest Gump, only boring.

And that brings me to the whole weird age thing. It was plausible right up until the end, when he started shrinking and turned into a baby again. By that crazy logic he should have been born the size of an old man, not baby-sized. So, it was obviously not genetic, but then if it were some kind of crazy magic (Merlin?) it shouldn't have worked either. I realize that I should just look at the story and not over-think it, but this is the purpose of the story. The majority of what happened wouldn't have happened if it weren't for this age thing. In the end it was a long, slow love story with the pivotal aspect seriously flawed.

I tend to look at movies and pull them apart like that also without even wanting to do it because it ruins most movies. Even when I watched Fight Club I was like yeah that could happen for sure with him talking to someone thats not there etc. But why didn't anyone look at him strange or ask him what his problem was when he was doing so? Then I would be like, uh man don't ruin a good movie with this crap....

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (6.5/10)
I can't decide if I liked it or not. It was well made, decently written and acted, but I just didn't care. Remove the whole born old, die young thing and it is just another life-long love story, like Forrest Gump, only boring.

And that brings me to the whole weird age thing. It was plausible right up until the end, when he started shrinking and turned into a baby again. By that crazy logic he should have been born the size of an old man, not baby-sized. So, it was obviously not genetic, but then if it were some kind of crazy magic (Merlin?) it shouldn't have worked either. I realize that I should just look at the story and not over-think it, but this is the purpose of the story. The majority of what happened wouldn't have happened if it weren't for this age thing. In the end it was a long, slow love story with the pivotal aspect seriously flawed.

I had EXACTLY the same thing when I watched this movie... I was also questioning before the end if he would shrink or not and how fake it would be if he shrank to infant size again... And guess what he did!!! I found it to be slow moving and even though there was a funny here and there it just didnt grab my attention enough and I was waiting for it to finally finish... Acting was ok, it was well written and the overall atmosphere was put down very well... In review I think Id be a bit more generous and give it a 7/10 because it was put together very well.... not something you can say about a lot of movies these days...

Edit: Forgot the spoiler tags there... lol should be fixed now..

ici8ok.jpg

Agora:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/
An historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.

Can we get something more descriptive/personal impression other than a copy and paste from imdb?

Has anyone seen The Wolfman yet? I'm going to see it with some friends probably this week so a head's up whether it's worth it or to wait for Shutter Island would be sweet 👍

Grand Prix-1966 8.5/10

Very good movie with an excellent storyline. I think the blending of real footage with the footage shot for the movie was an excellent idea. Plus it features the coolest F1 cars ever. The only downfall is that it felt a little long(nearly 3 hours) and kind of ruined the mood having to get up and switch discs in the middle of the movie.

Has anyone seen The Wolfman yet? I'm going to see it with some friends probably this week so a head's up whether it's worth it or to wait for Shutter Island would be sweet 👍

My wife and I were going to see it this past weekend since we had a babysitter but after spending almost 1K on our car we had to cross off our movie and dinner night:grumpy: I think its going to be a rather well done remake of the original. I watched a thing on it and they were talking about how they only used CGI for the transforming scenes and used only makeup for him while he was a "wolfman" as to show tribute and not ruin a classic. They didn't want to over special effect the story and the style of the original but yet still use modern tech to enhance it. Sounds like they really put a good plan into play with it, unlike such remakes as Knight Rider that was thrown off the air fast thank god. And now they have remade The A-Team into a movie and its going to be just horrible, especially since there is no T as B.A, T is B.A!

Grand Prix-1966 8.5/10

Very good movie with an excellent storyline. I think the blending of real footage with the footage shot for the movie was an excellent idea. Plus it features the coolest F1 cars ever. The only downfall is that it felt a little long(nearly 3 hours) and kind of ruined the mood having to get up and switch discs in the middle of the movie.
I rented it on two tape VHS, looooong time ago. I liked it so much, I even signed an online petition for a DVD release. DVD came out, I bought it, probably years ago, I still haven't watched it. :lol:

Grand Prix-1966 8.5/10

Grand Prix is a wonderful movie for fans of cars and motor racing. It is an absolute must see for Formula 1 fans, especially those of us that were not alive at that time period and have not seen any footage of those cars. The differences in the idea of racetrack safety is absolutely outstanding . . . bails of hay around the edge of the track! :lol: This include the edge of the track next to the bay at Monaco. :dopey:

TB
Can we get something more descriptive/personal impression other than a copy and paste from imdb?
Yes, I'm sorry, yesterday I hadn't time to write my personal opinion.

The story is set in Roman Egypt during the early years of christianity (about fourth century), this film is a historical drama which focuses on Davo, a slave who clings to the new religious doctrine with the hope of finding in it the aspirations of freedom that both craves, but he (and Orestes too) loves her master Hypatia, an atheist philosophy professor (and contrary to the new religion) in Library of Alexandria, when violent religious riots begin in the streets of Alexandria, she struggles to preserve the wisdom of the ancient world with the help of her disciples...

Amenábar in this film shows us the eternal conflict between reason and religious fanaticism. Make no mistake, the action takes place in the fourth century but that doesn't mean that history is not current, I must say is sad to look around and see that the destructive fanaticism has lasted until today.
Also say the setting, sets, costumes, special effects, soundtrack... are very good, at the same level of the big american blockbusters.

Latest Posts

Back