What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
You swipe up in the center for home and you swipe up from the left or right third on the bottom to go back. I like it because it's quite intuitive for me and there's no ugly bar at the bottom.

Yeah, I'm still kinda worried about the battery life and the fingerprint reader. MKBHD uploaded his review and he said his screen on time wasn't that long. And 30W charging is kinda slow compared to the fast charging my OnePlus 6 has. Also, I know new OnePlus phones have real fast fingerprint readers under the screen so it's a bit disappointing when Google's flagship can't match it
Gesture controls can be enabled but the difference is that you swipe from the left or right of the screen to go forwards or backwards. As for charging, from looking at the OnePlus website the OnePlus 6 also charges at 30w so I'm not sure why you'd think the Pixel 6 is slow in comparison! It's certainly slower than the high end Xiaomi phones with their crazy fast chargers but it's not far off other high end handsets

Last edited:
Gesture controls can be enabled but the difference is that you swipe from the left or right of the screen to go forwards or backwards. As for charging, from looking at the OnePlus website the OnePlus 6 also charges at 30w so I'm not sure why you'd think the Pixel 6 is slow in comparison!
Yeah, I'm aware the stock Android gestures are from the left and right sides. But I feel like it'll conflict a lot when I try to open a side menu drawer. I also dislike the gesture bar at the bottom. I'm probably going to root the phone and hope someone makes a Magisk module for gestures at some point.

I believe OnePlus uses their proprietary 'Dash Charging' protocol which, I assume, I could be wrong, is faster than the USB PD 3.0 protocol that the Pixel has, even though they're both 30W. If they're on par with each other, I'll be pleasantly surprised

Also, I just got notified that my Pixel got delayed :)

1635458120471.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm aware the stock Android gestures are from the left and right sides. But I feel like it'll conflict a lot when I try to open a side menu drawer. I also dislike the gesture bar at the bottom. I'm probably going to root the phone and hope someone makes a Magisk module for gestures at some point.

I believe OnePlus uses their proprietary 'Dash Charging' protocol which, I assume, I could be wrong, is faster than the USB PD 3.0 protocol that the Pixel has, even though they're both 30W. If they're on par with each other, I'll be pleasantly surprised

Also, I just got notified that my Pixel got delayed :)

View attachment 1090426
Ah that sucks, hopefully it won't be delayed too long. I've just realised my charger is 25w as I'm using my old Samsung one so I have no idea actually how fast it can go. I refuse to pay £25 for a 30w brick! Hopefully they'll be reduced eventually.

Well I bought the Pixel 6 Pro. Sorta Sunny.
It's good.
Haven't had any full testing.
Fingerprint reader is slow when on like a call or video but is reasonable when not. I have always had success unlocking.
Battery life is unknown as it can take 7-10 days to sort itself out with app usage and adaptive learning.

@ProjectWHaT
For the 30W pixel charging. It's uhh. Not 30W.
As tests were done and max was 23W. With adaptive charging and battery off still reached 23W.
It appears that something is not fully causing 30W charging.

Last edited:

Yeah, this was what I was worried about

Based on our testing using Google’s official 30W USB-C Adapter and a handful of compatible fast charging cables, we discovered that the maximum power obtained from both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro is just 22W, with an average of just 13W over a full cycle. At no point during our testing did we see speeds anywhere close to the 30W charging that many have (quite fairly) assumed the Pixel 6 series is capable of.

[...]

How does that impact charging times? With USB Power Delivery PPS, the Google Pixel 6 Pro takes ~111 minutes to fully charge its 5,000mAh battery (~5,000mAh typical, according to Google) from near empty.
1636174607398.png

I assume it's for battery health, but still, that's quite annoying.

Either way, they finally shipped my phone the other day and the estimate says Wednesday

Last edited:
As tempted as I was by the new Z-Fold 3 I went the other way and got a standard S21 5G. I've decided I don't need the latest and best phone, I rarely use it for anything beyond a bit of late night browsing/youtube and WhatsApp regardless of what phone it is and I already have a tablet. So I'm. Being thrifty for once. Though the way these energy prices are rising I might need to be more thrifty soon :lol:.

Last edited:
I'm considering getting a new phone currently, but I'm a bit disappointed that Google decided to not offer a compact version of the pixel 6. The 5a is chunky as well. All the phones are getting bigger

I'm currently on a Moto G5 Plus, but it's getting a bit too sluggish.

I'm considering getting a new phone currently, but I'm a bit disappointed that Google decided to not offer a compact version of the pixel 6. The 5a is chunky as well. All the phones are getting bigger

You could get the Asus Zenfone 8 which is like half an inch smaller in terms of diagonal screen size compared to the Pixel 6

Last edited:

You could get the Asus Zenfone 8 which is like half an inch smaller in terms of diagonal screen size

You could get the Asus Zenfone 8 which is like half an inch smaller in terms of diagonal screen size

That's pretty nice, but I tend to stick to the cheaper phones. I think I'll get the Pixel 5a when it goes $50 off in a few days. It's similar in dimensions to my current phone. The main difference is that it's .5cm taller and 1 ounce heavier.

I had a Galaxy S7 die a few weeks ago. It woke me up rebooting over and over and over, never successfully completing a boot. i don't know what started it, maybe a failed update bricked it. I've been wanting an upgrade for a while, but it's my work phone, and as long as it was working, they weren't going to replace it. The 32GB main RAM became a serious shortage towards the end, and maybe that's what did it in, but since I can't boot it, even in recovery mode, we'll never know. Also, battery life was getting short, as I had to leave it on the charging pad while in the office; it wouldn't last a full workday without some juice from somewhere during the day.

Since it died, they bought me an S20 FE 5G, which is going great guns. Most of my stuff migrated from the cloud backup Google keeps, apps and everything. I was really afraid I'd have to rebuild from scratch since I didn't have access to the old phone!

128G RAM is awesome. The multi-lens camera is awesome, going from .5x to 30x without pixellation, the screen is slightly larger than the S7 was. One thing the S7 had that I don't have on the S20 is a 3D effect on the desktop, where if I tilted the phone, the background shifted against the icons, making it look like the icons were well in front of the background instead of directly on it. The new phone doesn't do that, and i don't know if it's a setting that has to be enabled or what. I can carry and use the phone all day, and it gets down to maybe 30, 35% battery at the end of the day.

Another difference is I could adjust ringtone volume and audio volume separately, which I can't seem to do on this one. In other words, to make the audio useful, the ringtone just about brings the building down, and people 4 states away know I got a phone call!

Parked under one of the new short 5G poles I've seen over 2Gb/s download in a speed test, but I've not seen that while actually mobile, driving around. Those fast poles are very short range, lost it maybe 100 yards away! I don't have 5G at my office or at home. As a matter of fact, 4G rather sucks at home, where I'm lucky to have 10Mb/s, usually closer to 4 or 5!

Really liking the phone, although its lack of a headset jack forced me into the 21st century and a set of Bluetooth earbuds. :lol:

I finally got my Pixel 6 last Wednesday and I've used it for about a week now.

More pictures

19d89e131320601.6192dcbab9f32.jpg

dd696f131320601.6192dcbaba558.jpg

72cc39131320601.6192dcb9b7d04.jpg

0fbeb9131320601.6192dcba34b23.jpg

e0d166131320601.6192dd57a3a73.jpg

I have some Thoughts. For context, I'm coming from a OnePlus 6 and the only phones I've had before were the OnePlus 1 and 2.

While the phone's footprint is about the same as my old OnePlus 6, it is much thicker and noticeably heavier. The edges are sharper than the rounded edges of the OnePlus 6. The power button is placed a little bit higher on the Pixel 6 than the OnePlus 6. In addition to that, the fingerprint reader is also slightly too high up. If I am holding the phone and I want to unlock it, I have to shuffle my thumb up to the power button and then shuffle it back down to hit the fingerprint reader. However, when using the always on display and also wake to lift, I now rarely have to press the power button.

Speaking of the fingerprint reader, it is under the screen. It takes a beat for it to unlock and sometimes it doesn't recognize it the first time. I do have to reapply my thumb every now and then for it to unlock. This is my first time using an under screen fingerprint reader so I don't really have a comparison, but from what I've heard people say online, OnePlus and Samsung phones are significantly faster in that regard. For the reader to read your finger, it needs to shine a light which can be really bright at night.

The screen itself is pretty good. 90hz is nice. However, there is a weird pink tint to it on the left edge when displaying gray. I believe this is probably a manufacturing error and I could probably RMA the device for it.

The cameras are good. The main shooter can take some really great pictures. It has great dynamic range and great sharpness. However, the wide angle lens is noticeable weaker. It isn't as sharp as the main lens, which is a disappointment.

I've used some of the AI features, like the magic eraser, ambient music identifier, and the improved voice to text. All of the features are incredibly useful and convenient. I have no issues with them.

While they probably use a lot of processing power, the battery life has been good. I've gotten about 6 hours of on screen time while still having a good amount of battery left at the end of the day. I haven't had to charge it at all during the day so I don't know how fast the charging is using Google's 30W charger that I got with it. Instead, I charge it while I sleep. It has a feature where it quickly charges at the start, but once it reaches a certain percentage, it stops charging. But once it is close to your morning alarm, it would finish charging. Although this is a nice feature, I do miss OnePlus 6's Dash Charging which is significantly faster.

Some other things I miss from my old phone: gestures for navigation and music and the alert slider. I dislike using Android's stock gesture controls for navigation, but I've gotten used to it at this point. On OnePlus phones, you can draw a '<' or a '>' on the screen while it's off to skip songs. I used it all the time and not having it is annoying. The alert slider was also something I used all the time in classes. Being able to quickly silence my phone without even looking at it was very useful. On the Pixel, I have to turn on the screen and open the volume slider to switch between vibrate and silence which is incredibly frustrating.

I preordered the Pixel 6 so I was able to get the Pixels Buds Series A for free. They're small and light. The case can fit in the small pocket that all jeans seem to have for some reason. The audio quality is serviceable. It connects with the Pixel 6 well and it displays the case's battery status in the phone which is nice. It does not have as much isolation as the Pioneer C5TW.

Despite all the minor complaints, the Pixel 6 is a great phone, especially at $600. If you don't mind having a large device, I'd recommend it

Looks like the Pixel 6a is coming out.
Initial Specs
SD778G
50 MP main.
6.2" Straight AMOLED
60Hz Refresh
No Headphone Jack
In Display reader.

No leaks on Battery or RAM or Storage options.

After some delays, my Pixel 5a came in today. Setup has been finished and so far it's pretty good, just getting used to it. It's about as big as I would want a phone to be. It's only less than a centimeter taller, but there is a whole lot more screen compared to my previous phone as there is basically no bezel. Online dimensions put it at about the same thickness, but it seems to be a bit thicker than the Moto G5 Plus. Maybe it's because it's shaped like a brick, and the Motorola was thinner on the edges and got thicker in the middle.

This should last me a while. OLED screen is very impressive with the contrast and colors. The next step is to upgrade to Android 12.

Realme GT2 Pro is a Nexus 6P. (Or some would argue a Pixel 6 Pro)
Not much outside about the only difference is SD 888 instead of Google Tensor.

Today Google launched Android 12L as a feature drop for the Pixel 3a to the Pixel 5.

Pixel 6 and 6 Pro will come later this month as they are trying to fix the Wi-Fi disconnect issue.

So far no update on My pixel 5 yet.

I have iPhone SE 2020 as my gaming phone. Was watching the Apple event to see the new SE as every little FPS gain helps in games like Gear.Club. They just so happened to announce the new game on Apple Arcade, Gear.Club Stradale.

I just hope they continue this form factor of screens with 16:9 without corners cut off (Would be perfect long term gaming phone if they made a 3nm SoC with USB C connectivity and 1080p screen). Rumours are that the following SE will be a Plus size phone like the XR design. I think new flagship phones really require LPDDR5X as I noticed at higher resoultions on iPhone 13, some games are less smooth than even iPhone 8. They are still using LPDDR4X like iPhone 8.

I find it quite incredible that Apple have been using USB C and Thunderbolt for a long time on their computers but have phones still with USB 2 speeds shooting ProRes video. Maybe iPhone 14 they can boast a massive multiplier in data transfer speed if they still offer a wired connection given it has been couple of decades of Apple devices with the same data connectivity speeds for their small portable devices.

Man, how things have changed since my last post on this thread :lol: I've had probably 20 phones since then :lol: I'm currently rocking on Realme 5 Pro since I sold my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G last december. Now I'm looking for some phone to upgrade, but nothing really looks that interesting.

I really miss small android phones with 16:9 aspect ratio such as Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact i had couple years ago. I even tried iPhone 5S, SE (2016) and 7, but iOS just wasn't for me. These days Asus Zenfone 8 is closest match for my needs, but even that is too big to meet my taste.

Wish they would reincarnate Nokia E7 with android and i would buy it in a blink of an eye. Qwerty keyboards... :drool:

I've got an LG Aristo 2 on T-Mobile, so yes, I've been hit by the "Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped" bug. Every single LG phone on T-Mobile has it. It pops up every three second. You can swipe it away, but it will just pop up again in three seconds. Considering LG doesn't even make phones any more, I guess it's high time I switched.

Newest Pixel phones were announced. Some slight increases but rest seems to be a copy and paste of last years.
Also announced pixel watch which I have ordered.

I am disappointed they didn't give the Pixel 6 face unlock. The underscreen fingerprint reader on my 6 definitely is relatively slow compared to my previous phone's normal fingerprint reader

Newest Pixel phones were announced. Some slight increases but rest seems to be a copy and paste of last years.
Also announced pixel watch which I have ordered.
I have nearly convinced myself I want a Pixel Watch. I have been intrigued by a smart watch for some time and this one may finally be the one that I take the plunge on.

Back