What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
Hello all, thought I'd venture outside of the GT Sport zone for a bit!
I've used iPhones since the very first release, except for a couple of brief excursions to an HTC (I wanted dual-sim) and a RugGear. Both were complete disasters - the Android user interface at the time was truly user unfriendly and I quickly came back to Apple.
But now I'm getting bored and not particularly inspired by the "suggested" specs for the iPhone 12. My iPhone 6 is on its last legs (but still functioning after all this time) and my iPhone 8 is having battery and touch issues, so I'm retiring them.
After a lot of research, I bought a Huawei P40 Pro online from my mobile service provider. Big discount means it costs less than half the price of an iPhone 11 Pro Max with the same storage. It's not locked (no phones are over here). The reviews I've seen are very positive, and I've used my phones as my main camera for the last few years, so the camera is important. The camera on the P40 looks great.
I know it doesn't have google mobile services - might be an issue with Waze, possibly WhatsApp (use them both a lot), we'll see.
It will be delivered on Tuesday, touch wood, and I'll drop an update as to how I get on with it.
Will it go the same way as the HTC and RugGear or is it truly as advertised? I'll let you know. :cheers:

Maybe should have edited last, but posting new to bump!
I just wanted to let you know that the camera on the P40 Pro is absolutely amazing....... it's a camera with a phone added!
The Leica lenses and input truly shine through.... it's truly stunning. Shots in low light are particularly amazing. Has a full manual mode and can save RAW for processing later on.
As a phone, not as bad as I thought and so far not missing google whatsoever - the apps I use most work (MS Outlook, Waze, WhatsApp all working great, using Brave for a browser, and Candy Crush works well (although it did hang a couple of times which is something that never happened on an iPhone)
Glad I switched for the camera alone - iPhone 12 has a lot to live up to.

I have an Asus Zenfone. I forget what model. This is the third Android phone I've owned. The first was a Samsung that I cracked the screen on (apparently at that e my contract was already up anyway), the second was another Samsung (which I lost). I've had this current phone for a couple years now. It's got 3 gigs of RAM and 32 gigs of onboard storage. I don't ask for much out of it so I don't care about having some super high-end phone.

Also, today I got my PinePhone in the mail. I don't plan on replacing my Asus with it anytime soon but I got it just because it was an intriguing piece of hardware. Rather than running Android (though there is an Android distribution for it) the PinePhone supports a whole bunch of different Linux distributions. Technically it'll run any system that supports ARM64 but there are a number of Linux distributions that are specifically phone-oriented. You can flash the onboard storage with whatever you want and it'll even boot off of a microSD. I got mine with the Convergence Package which adds a dock so you can hook up your phone to a keyboard and monitor and use it like a real computer. All I have to do is figure out how to get the back cover off, because there's apparently a piece of plastic blocking the battery from charging and I think the Wi-Fi came switched off, and I want to try booting another OS on it.

Upgrading. :lol:
Pixel 4 to Pixel 5.
I liked my orange but the battery and face unlock was not up to date.
Along with that radar Soli chip was not good.

At lease with the 5 granted I lose the 800 snapdragon but gain a bigger battery and fingerprint.
With 5G.

Ordered the Pixel 5,
With Google Fi I get 5G included.
Sweet.
Although there goes my data if I have to use it. :banghead:

Last edited:
I use a I phone 8 PRO which i got for free off my Mums boss and had a I phone 7 red before hand, I also get a very good deal through my Mums telstra cooperate account through her work. The i phone 8 is fine good screen and has the latest iOS 14 update and all.

Got pending charge on the Pixel 5 this morning.
So it's getting closer to getting shipped.
I am sorry to see my oh so orange go but I'd take the better battery over orange.

Last edited:
Got my new Pixel 5 this afternoon. Coming from the 3, it's a bit hard to get used but overall it feels pretty snappy and the camera takes really good pictures.

Got my new Pixel 5 this afternoon. Coming from the 3, it's a bit hard to get used but overall it feels pretty snappy and the camera takes really good pictures.

3 to 5 is a big upgrade.
4 to 5 isn't as much.

2 reasons why I upgraded form 4 to 5 is
Reason 1. Battery.
Reason 2. Fingerprint.

I would like to get a 5, but I do not really want to spend the money to upgrade from my 3 XL. I have too many other expensive purchases I would rather buy first.

3 to 5 is a big upgrade.
4 to 5 isn't as much.

2 reasons why I upgraded form 4 to 5 is
Reason 1. Battery.
Reason 2. Fingerprint.
Did you use the Soli sensor and how was it? I know the reviewers all dismissed it, but it looked really cool and I felt like I would have tried to use it quite often if I had one

I think overall the new Pixel 5 is nice, but at that price, getting the Samsung S20 FE would have better value

Almost 10 months old now, but still so cool!

DSC_0005 - Copy.JPG

Did you use the Soli sensor and how was it? I know the reviewers all dismissed it, but it looked really cool and I felt like I would have tried to use it quite often if I had one

It wasn't all the hype.
Had too many errors in doing it and face unlock sucked... :lol:

I used it all of maybe 1 day then I just said nope.
Reach to turn on screen was nice but other than that it was like everyone else, not something that should of been in a phone.

VBR
I don't have a moblie/cell phone. I've never had one, & never want to either. I hate the blasted things!

:grumpy:

Yeah, I ended up getting one! Because in March, One Time Passcodes will be mandatory, & many companies will only send them to mobile numbers. Had to get one if I wanted to continue to use online banking.

Bought a reasonably priced Nokia 1 Plus off eBay, & signed up with 1pMobile. A rather cheap & cheerful solution.

:-)

Last edited:
Since I retired my LG G5 a few months ago, I've went back to Samsung and have been rocking a standard Galaxy S20 since September.

This past Saturday, I changed carriers from Cricket to Boost Mobile. I also went from my Cricket Icon to a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G. This smartphone is beautiful and powerful. I trust Samsung and love it that I am not disappointed with my new phone. I basically will use my previous phone as a WiFi device and maybe try things like game development or game playing with it.

RJS
Samsung Galaxy S, with 4.4.2 android.

I'm hoping that it dies so I can make an upgrade, but the phone refuses to die :D
Well, it's been a few years, but I had some more phones.
Bought a Moto G (2nd gen), because the SGS was becoming increasingly slow. After a year or so, sold it and bought a newly released Lenovo P2. Underrated phone, had a OLED screen, a decent CPU and a massive battery for the time (5000mah). It could last 2 days with intensive use.

Lasted 2 years with me and I decided to give a go at the Apple ecosystem and bought a iPhone 7 used for a really good price. Solid phone which the only problem was a tiny battery that didn't even last me a full day. Still, was one of the best phones that I had.

Currently, I'm using a iPhone 11 Pro and I couldn't be happier. Fast, has a great screen, the battery is pretty decent and lasts a full day, and the camera is really good and still takes great photos. It is very hard for me to make the change back to android, because the apple ecosystem is so well made.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S21 a couple of months ago. Just the regular one, not the ultra. So far so good. It uses slightly more battery than my old S10+ but it recharges much faster.

Upgraded to a iPhone 12 Pro in Pacific Blue.
As someone upgrading to an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I will say I wish they still offered Pacific Blue... the new lighter shade of blue isn't quite to my taste.

I was initially debating between going with gold or graphite, but ultimately decided to give silver a try.

Well after seeing some more videos of the new shade of blue, it's grown on me... so I cancelled my order for the silver and went with that one instead. Bonus... the blue model isn't as backordered as silver, so now it's expected to ship by Oct 15th instead of the 22nd.

Last edited:
I'm currently holding a Samsung Galaxy S21+ using as my main daily. I was using the S21 Ultra but I've given that to my wife to upgrade from her Note 10+ and I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max in Sierra blue on order to become my main daily personal phone and the S21+ will become my work only phone.

The 21 Ultra is a great bit of kit, but it is quite heavy and with 5g the battery life takes a big hit. The S21+ has been consistently better on battery life for me. The camera though is of course superior on the S21 Ultra but day to day for regular users you wouldn't be able to tell the difference without pixel peeping.

Last edited:
View attachment 866939

Guess we'll see how this one is...
Almost approaching the 2 year usage mark and I can report just the other day I had a storage issue finally. Even with iCloud storage for backups and cloud storage of photos, after 2,100+ photos (1,300 of them live photos, 300 videos), it finally hit me with a “cannot take photos until storage is cleared” message or something of similar notice. After clear out some apps and reducing caches, i cleared out nearly half of unneeded items - a majority of which were pdf documents from my cam scanner app that I used for work on average scanning and emailing 20+ images 4/7 days a week for a little over three months. I was shocked to see how much was cleared after this. Thankfully I didn’t need to remove ANY of my photos which i was impressed with, and when viewing the storage graph the photo tab is roughly the same size as my messages which is delightful to see.

Battery wise I’m doing pretty good all things considered. I average roughly anywhere from 3.5-7.5 hrs/day of screen on time, almost all of that exclusively down to browsing on chrome or google apps for referencing manuals or troubleshooting at work. I may have played a total of three games on this phone (chess and imessage games) so nothing heavy, and battery health shows at 91%.

All in all it has been great. If I can get it to last two more years, then I can reasonably see how a $25/month cost works for it. Anything less though and I’d be pretty bummed out on.

My new Pixel 6 (in "Sorta Seafoam") was delivered yesterday. So far it is fantastic with some really nice touches, especially the UI changing colours based on your wallpaper. It feels very solid in my hand too, much more so than my previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy A71

Last edited:
I pre-ordered the Pixel 6 as well. It's getting here in a few weeks. Coming from the OnePlus 6, I'm going to miss the face unlock, OnePlus's style of navigation gestures, and the alert slider.

My new Pixel 6 (in "Sorta Seafoam") was delivered yesterday. So far it is fantastic with some really nice touches, especially the UI changing colours based on your wallpaper. It feels very solid in my hand too, much more so than my previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy A71
How's the battery life and fingerprint reader for you so far? I've heard some people have problems with the fingerprint reader

Last edited:
I pre-ordered the Pixel 6 as well. It's getting here in a few weeks. Coming from the OnePlus 6, I'm going to miss the face unlock, OnePlus's style of navigation gestures, and the alert slider.

How's the battery life and fingerprint reader for you so far? I've heard some people have problems with the fingerprint reader
What are the OnePlus gestures? I switched off the gesture mode on my Pixel because I prefer to press actual buttons but they seemed to work well when I did have them activated.

Battery life has been fine so far, I haven't tried any really heavy use yet though so it's hard to say. The fingerprint reader is definitely slightly slower than a dedicated button on the rear of the phone however it's the fastest in-screen one I've used and it is miles ahead of the one on my previous phone (Galaxy A71) which would give me constant negative results and took a long time to scan.

There is a speed difference between unlocking from the "sleep" screen to the lock screen too and the phone is very good at figuring out when you've picked it up to activate the lock screen and speed up the finger scanning process.
I want to upgrade to a Pixel 6, but I am not sure my Pixel 3 XL needs replacing.
I think those with older Pixel phones are finding the 6 a difficult upgrade as the recent changes to various features feel like a step backwards to some people. For me it's a huge upgrade from the Samsung version of Android! It also blows the Samsung out of the water in terms of performance, it's so quick and snappy and I haven't had it slow down or hang up at all yet.

Last edited:
What are the OnePlus gestures? I switched off the gesture mode on my Pixel because I prefer to press actual buttons but they seemed to work well when I did have them activated.
You swipe up in the center for home and you swipe up from the left or right third on the bottom to go back. I like it because it's quite intuitive for me and there's no ugly bar at the bottom.

z_iz64KiZqkh9u562QZ1dd3ulDDaX5REZCARDr8UBhZKospvyRJ28NVBw2WdcZj3RfYqhHblN_Jl0TTQI5_mbJL_9hNieq5qZQQ_5MLqYCq8XefwzcnzpNxFK2xhrT8nctaEnxDB675dYf-1Cjk9hyw0rqXchDA1eKOB1-zatk07SD19zHbCcdfLsgqR_FQDxpNnWOi7gmj8dWytVBgunFywOcSYlUmVxjVPwbSsetDcVUeBc17RYCl6Xd3S5E6d9vrZ7oCMIG1LYygL844SsnFOqNp54YGAY9uLR9pmtyx04jVHfmRjmyh51_XNdaB80p9KGuNSLZ2dL7akUfXbnwwJvlSzWFtBtGCQ-fzA5TT8vTUKWsMyk5SOuqG162zL71MzzEvnAvVBYE6UyI-8Wrk28V1CjxgpG7jg6fRhS1oi-rqcG3MiCBFk4sEOyhnnaqwKFZHMlxvpg9m-KPnilxlEhAUfQZoBZ437fI49spOGnI77z8wYk3SiMrKnYQ5dmq5B3vAsKlY754MRD2_0Ki9oggaM31IIOTX2vPAxiseOawlyA090CYj-NJ8TVvh8DF2mDNdwAjzmNDh1RbI29wQF9ptWpRmwHHvxTjN6yZ7hglm8NrxUXBRcaoCUh9Zrj0gTPrOu2QhXQVZvwFJHEB5E0LA-pRypZ_almGQm1fstosqHzO_jk3HzzckeOmC8EN1n0QO2oLNKkwnZdGa6L-LFdw=w463-h977-no

Yeah, I'm still kinda worried about the battery life and the fingerprint reader. MKBHD uploaded his review and he said his screen on time wasn't that long. And 30W charging is kinda slow compared to the fast charging my OnePlus 6 has. Also, I know new OnePlus phones have real fast fingerprint readers under the screen so it's a bit disappointing when Google's flagship can't match it

Back