What would you like to see on the livery editor on GT7?

I agree, but only on the rear side windows and on the front windshield header. I remember when NFS started allowing players to put window decals and they made the mistake of allowing stickers on the entire windshield. That resulted in like 50% of shared liveries in the game having their entire windshield covered in stickers and it looked super stupid.
While I agree it may look stupid, I don't agree with limiting where they can be placed. I think players should have the freedom to place decals where they want. Not saying that I would be adding a plethora of decals on the windows myself, but if I ever did want to then I should be allowed the creative freedom to.

I'd like to see some dynamic decals.

For example, I like trying to put a small British flag somewhere on the liveries I make for my manufacturer series cars. If I were to share the livery, there might be people who like the design but get put off using it because it's not their national flag. It'd be nice to make that a dynamic decal so it checks the nationality associated with the user's PSN account and automatically changes the flag accordingly.

Last edited:
i'd happily get rid of it in exchange for different versions of each car with the details from each team like it was on gt6

I'd like to see some dynamic decals.

For example, I like trying to put a small British flag somewhere on the liveries I make for my manufacturer series cars. If I were to share the livery, there might be people who like the design but get put off using it because it's not their national flag. It'd be nice to make that a dynamic decal so it checks the nationality associated with the user's PSN account and automatically changes the flag accordingly.
Interesting. I haven’t seen this idea before. I’ve already recorded the video, but can you give me a few more examples so I can figure out a way to include it in the video?
That defeats the whole point of this thread.
He kinda has a point, however I have included that as ‘pre-made livery templates’ in the video. You’ll understand it better when you see the video.

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven’t seen this idea before. I’ve already recorded the video, but can you give me a few more examples so I can figure out a way to include it in the video?
Yeah, no problem.

So here's one of the liveries I'm using at the moment in my manufacturer season as Mitsubishi:
upload_2020-10-26_16-4-38.png

If the flag decal could change dynamically, a German player would see and get this instead when they use it:
upload_2020-10-26_16-6-47.png

It's essentially like the name tag you can apply in the racing items that shows your national flag and name, only you can do what you want with it. It would save a lot of hassle if you wanted to make variants for different countries, as you could just upload it once and have it work for any country.

Last edited:
Yeah, no problem.

So here's one of the liveries I'm using at the moment in my manufacturer season as Mitsubishi:
View attachment 967410

If the flag decal could change dynamically, a German player would see and get this instead when they use it:
View attachment 967411

It's essentially like the name tag you can apply in the racing items that shows your national flag and name, only you can do what you want with it. It would save a lot of hassle if you wanted to make variants for different countries, as you could just upload it once and have it work for any country.
I see, could this theoretically work with oil/tire sponsors, manufacturer decals, and national flags? Any other similar ideas? Maybe a decal that mentions engine type? All this is fun, I’m glad you came up with this unique idea!

I see, could this theoretically work with oil/tire sponsors, manufacturer decals, and national flags? Any other similar ideas? Maybe a decal that mentions engine type? All this is fun, I’m glad you came up with this unique idea!
Yeah, you could allow people to specify favourites for things like oil/tyres etc. in their profile and the game will automatically insert those if they download a livery that's been created with dynamic parts.

If something like this was implemented, Polyphony could potentially even put in some decals where you put your own text in. That could be good for small groups that want to have matching liveries for their team, if no-one in the group has the ability to design a logo and convert it into an SVG file.

Nothing. I dont understand livery editors. Devs spend weeks and months designing cars and liverys. Why let people make their own liverys? It would be better to have Liverys added to choose from then add our gamer tag names to our cars and thats it. Also no more achivements for Liverys created, its a racing game, to race, not mess around with decals etc lol

Nothing. I dont understand livery editors. Devs spend weeks and months designing cars and liverys. Why let people make their own liverys? It would be better to have Liverys added to choose from then add our gamer tag names to our cars and thats it. Also no more achivements for Liverys created, its a racing game, to race, not mess around with decals etc lol
Strange way to see it, but anyway. A lot of people love to create and race liveries that THEY made, not someone else. There's a great sense of pride in displaying your creativity online amongst other designers. But of course I'd say that as I'm studying graphic design.

Well, why should real race teams show their sponsors/teams livery? Why not just use the Manufacturer livery or the base Customer car livery?

PD have made available alternative liveries for many of the cars. We had Base Models in GT6. Maybe some manufacturers requested PD keep the standard brand livery on some cars. HEnce, only one TT Cup livery, One Peugeot RC Z Gr.4 livery, etc. It's fantastic PD finally included a livery editor where players can replicate their favorite real life racing teams. Players can also represent anything they want. From their own league teams to their favorite peanut butter brand.

A bit late but here are the features I'd like to see added.

• The ability to change the location of the default sport mode number boards, even if it's from a few set positions,
  • Toggleble grid/ coordinates. This would make it way easier to line up decals, especially with patterns,
  • More favourites folders, I could easily do with another 10,
  • Ability to group decals so I can duplicate a load of decals to reverse and change the texture of just a few decals,
  • Custom matte/metallic colour options,
  • Ability to set whether or not to allow others to edit decals and wheels,
  • More options for centre lock wheels,
  • More race suit options other than Alpinestar and puma,
  • Larger SVG size limit,
  • Transfer GTSport liveries to GT7,
  • Tyre decals for Gr4 cars and F1500T-A.

Last edited:

I used to think that until recently... but then spent some time looking through the liveries others designed and there are some literally amazing efforts out there which could easily be in the game itself. Proper talented people doing it which presumably they get more fun out of that than the racing side (each to their own).

I had a go at doing them myself and they looked like crap so personally I'd like to see either being able to edit them away from the game rather than with a controller in game and to be able to tweak other peoples designs too would be cool... get some wouldn't like people messing with them so maybe an option for the designer to select if they want to lock the design or have it editable?

Color scheme and decal place presets. Sometimes I just wanna have racing stripes or other simple layouts and that could save a bunch of time and effort

But Gran Turismo is not just a racing game, and never has been. There was always the need to pass the Licence tests, not needed in just a racing game. Tuning of cars, not needed in a racing game, and indeed most of the people racing online don't want that aspect of the game included in the online racing. With your rationale even changing the colour of a car is not needed, as for you PD offer everything. Try a one car type race of say the WRX STI Isle of Man Time Attack Car and everyone uses the default design. Which one were you in the replay! :confused: :boggled: If I were in such a race my car would be unique. :) And dare I say better than the stock design imho. ;)

A photo mode, either taking pics in a race replay, or of a car in a static scene. Again, not needed. As time has moved on PD have added other aspects like these to their games because they realised that just a racing game may not hold users attention for long, and indeed may not offer value for money for a lot of people.

As for the Livery Editor in particular, people use the Livery Editor for a multitude of reasons, but I would think there are a few that stand out, and the first one is that, to stand out from everyone else. Another is whilst the designs of most of the cars are very nice, you could be in a race and someone with the same car could look exactly the same. May not matter to you, but it does to some people. Were there are teams in real life that may have two cars the same design (though there are normally slight differences to differentiate the drivers cars, something the game does not do), having up to 16 cars looking exactly the same does not make for an interesting spectacle from the outside.

Some may want to express their creativity, something just a racing game could not do. Some may be part of a team that race together and want to have a design that shows they are part of a team by having a team livery. I personally want designs that are made by me, and how I want the cars to look like, that are unique to me, although I occasionally try to replicate a real life racing teams livery, that is not in the game by default, as accurately as possible.

As for making livery's, and other aspects of the game not being in the achievements, it is more of an achievement to create something, be that a livery or a photo, than having been in a race a certain number of times, or using the game for so many days.

The good thing about adding all these things though, is that you don't have to use them, they are optional. :)

And btw, I don't understand the reasoning of posting in a thread about a part of the game asking for ways to make it better, when you have no interest in it, and by the sounds of it, may have never used it, and probably never will. How is that adding to the thread in any positive way! :eek: :rolleyes:

I had a go at doing them myself and they looked like crap

I hear that man, I was also insipred but what other people who are creative had done, some are just pure art. It's amazing what people were able to achieve with such a - what is apparently - very basic adaption of a livery edditor that GTS feautres.

Alot of those brilliant designs may be from poeple who are involved or interested in graphic design/art in some way or people who have had experience with comprehesive edditors from other titles. As for me I had no idea how to manipulate the shapes to get them to do what I wanted. My first attempts at designs were crap :lol:. GTS livery edditor is my first expereince at anything of the like, ever. The lack of company decals available also gave me the motivation to download unheard of software(to me at least)and create my own, I'm not the best at that either but I'm glad I picked up the skill.

I have gotten a bit better, but my imagination is still limited to the possibilities within livery and svg editors, and have room for alot of improvement.:)👍

Reposted, the other post got deleted!

Thanks for all the responses guys, I have compiled all your suggestions, along with a few of my own, into a video with the most requested features and a few mockups of what they COULD look like. Please let me know your feedback and suggestions, and a big thank you to everyone who posted here on GTPlanet, including:
@05XR8
@Adam Barber
@BigJimmy
@Castrol96
@CLowndes888
@DefNotJake
@DemioXDTourng
@El_Beardo
@Emilius_73
@GBO Possum
@GTR365
@hardvibes
@HarVee
@HaydenFan69
@IXON009
@LeGeNd-1
@Leovizzz
@LeytonHouseF1
@MIE1992
@Naveek Darkroom
@neil_1980
@NickXP
@Nowax
@redhed17
@Savolainen83
@sesven
@ShiftingGears
@TiMcF1
@Volksauto
@VXR
@XSquareStickIt
@Zorz
You have all made it into the video!

(Sorry if I have spelled your name wrong @05XR8!)
Thank you all very much for responding, and special thanks to @El_Beardo , @Adam Barber , @Drex124 , and @Sjaak for letting me use their liveries and helping with the video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of an aside here, but can we assume that GT7 will use the same system for sharing liveries as GTS? If so, does that mean we can keep our GTS liveries for GT7?

I just don't know. Tag Heuer are still available to select. However, does that mean they'll be selectable fo GT7? If not, someone that have Tag Heuer all over their vehicle, might not be able to transfer that over.
It could be that simple where a full livery is blocked and one that had a couple decals, those decals are deleted.

Another mystery are the cars. PD are known to delete cars from the previous games to the next. We'd like to guess all GTS cars will carry over, but if PD decide to update the Civic Type R '15 to a Civic Type R '18, there goes that Castrol livery someone spent 8 hours creating.

Good thing is, GTS is still playable on PS5.

Anyway, hopefully, PD have improved the LE to allow more ease in creativity. Could lessen the sting(not really) of not being able to transfer liveries.

Bit of an aside here, but can we assume that GT7 will use the same system for sharing liveries as GTS? If so, does that mean we can keep our GTS liveries for GT7?
Nobody knows yet afaik. People hope. :)
Good thing is, GTS is still playable on PS5.
For how long though? :confused: Hopefully GTS being usable on the PS5 means they keep the GTS servers running for longer one would imagine, because without server/internet access there is not much left in GT Sport. :eek: :banghead:

Nobody knows yet afaik. People hope. :)
For how long though? :confused: Hopefully GTS being usable on the PS5 means they keep the GTS servers running for longer one would imagine, because without server/internet access there is not much left in GT Sport. :eek: :banghead:
Only thing I can suggest/recommend, if you're not satisfied with whatever color cars you already have, buy some in other colors.

As for race cars and special models with no alt colors, that's that.

Overall, I want the creation of good-looking liveries to be easy, or at least potentially be easy. For example, like another user mentioned, I'd like the idea of dynamic decals, such as a decal for a tire manufacturer that changes depending on which tires are outfitted. All the decals for the tire makers could be the same proportions, too, so if one gets swapped out in the process, it won't have one of its ends bleeding into another part of the livery.

I'd like to do a video on what we all would like to see for the livery editor in GT7, what would you guys like the most?
For me:
-ability to group decals
-moving the sport mode numberplate
-text editor with fonts
-'simple' editor as an option(like f1, pc3)

Please let me know by what username I should credit you!
GTO-F-117A here
Everything we could not do
Window decaling
Tire decaling
Grouping decals
unlimited layering
larger svg file size
individual rim coloring
multiple matalic color layering
Decals on headlights

As well as being able to group X amount of decals together, but to actually also COPY the group, so they can be pasted onto the other side of the vehicle with one pass, rather than having to duplicate each one at a time. That would help speed things up.
Also please allow much larger SVG file sizes to be imported.

Latest Posts

Back