Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 866 comments
Of course me being me that's simply not good enough when closest to perfection is the aim. :lol:
When I bought my plasma, it looked pretty good right out of the box but of course I fidgeted with the settings. When I was happy with that, then I borrowed a calibration disc from a friend (and surprisingly made next to no changes!), so I'm right there with you. :lol:

Now that I think about it, I haven't calibrated my projector! :embarrassed: (although I think it looks outstanding)

TB
When I bought my plasma, it looked pretty good right out of the box but of course I fidgeted with the settings. When I was happy with that, then I borrowed a calibration disc from a friend (and surprisingly made next to no changes!), so I'm right there with you. :lol:

Honestly when it's close as it is now that last 10% could very well just be a placebo effect.
I just know though if I don't have a go at it that little voice in my head will be saying it's not right/as good as it could be. :lol:

Now that I think about it, I haven't calibrated my projector! :embarrassed:(although I think it looks outstanding)

Get cracking then. :P

TB
New acquisition, so time for an update.

Left channel: Cerwin Vega E-312
Left subwoofer: JBL PSW-1000

View attachment 483192

Center channel: Sony SS-CN550H

View attachment 483195

Right channel: Cerwin Vega E-312
Right subwoofer: Monoprice 605999

View attachment 483196

Surround left and right: (2) Niles CM7BG
Surround rear left and right: (2) Monoprice 4104
Projector: BenQ W1070

View attachment 483230

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR616
Remote: LogitechHarmony Hub
BR player: fat PS3 (not pictured)

View attachment 483214

Light switch: Lutron Maestro IR Digital Dimmer

View attachment 483231

Software: PLEX, Netflix (not pictured), Amazon Prime (not pictured)

View attachment 483232

The new subwoofer (Monoprice) arrived on Tuesday. I was concerned how it would pair with the 10+ year old JBL but the sound fantastic together. Each fills in the others high spots and evens the bass out beautifully.

The next upgrade will be a Cerwin Vega SL45C. :D

Seating and back wall

View attachment 483233
And now I'm just mad that I've seen this.

I did this to myself, I give.

New Additon to my 2 channel music system, probably the last speakers I'll ever buy... Used pair of Proac Response 2.5

Components are a Musical Fidelity A.3.2 integrated amplifier and a Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD.

IMG_0118.JPG

Edit:Cleaned up a bit and added a better image

Last edited:
SVX
Does anyone happen to know anything about these?
I remember coming across the name Magnepan about a year ago and being both intrigued and upset that there isn't a showroom closer to give them a listen.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion on them when they're fired up. 👍

So I was playing around with Room EQ Wizard and thought I'd pass along my findings to you fine people.

My subs are currently, more or less, 4.5' to 5' from the front theater wall, right up against the left and right side walls.

60" and 60"
60 and 60.JPG

As it turns out, that's pretty much bang on perfect as it's 1/4 of my rooms total depth of 20'. I'd like to lower that peak at 28Hz but as you'll see, it looks like it's there to stay regardless of location (I'm assuming it's something to do with room dimensions). I'm also planning on playing around with it to try to lift the decline from 30 to 68Hz but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible. Perhaps in my receiver's EQ settings.

0" and 0"
0 and 0.JPG

Shoving the speakers into the front corners brings the decline up nicely but produces a dip around 70Hz. Slight problem - that's where my left and rights are. Not an option as they can't move.

Left wall, front and rear corners
Left corners.JPG

Hugging the left wall, tight into the front and rear corners, yet again, maintains the spike at 28Hz and helps with the dip at 70 but, as before, the left speaker can't move.

60" and 60", diagonal corners
60 front and 60 rear.JPG

Sixty inches from the front-left corner and 60" from the rear-right corner gives an abrupt, but not terribly deep dB-wise, cutoff from 47 to 49Hz. The abrupt dive from 75 to 80 Hz isn't ideal, either.

61" and 42"
61 and 42.JPG

Curious to see just how much difference it makes for placement, I located them back at the (at least for now) best spots - along the left and right walls, 60" from the front wall and tweaked them 1" and 18" respectively which produced the most dramatic cutoff of the group - absolutely nothing (at least comparatively from the 80dB spike at 57) from 61 to 62Hz.

As the real estate adage goes: "location, location, location!"

TB
So I was playing around with Room EQ Wizard and thought I'd pass along my findings to you fine people.

My subs are currently, more or less, 4.5' to 5' from the front theater wall, right up against the left and right side walls.

60" and 60"
View attachment 542120

As it turns out, that's pretty much bang on perfect as it's 1/4 of my rooms total depth of 20'. I'd like to lower that peak at 28Hz but as you'll see, it looks like it's there to stay regardless of location (I'm assuming it's something to do with room dimensions). I'm also planning on playing around with it to try to lift the decline from 30 to 68Hz but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible. Perhaps in my receiver's EQ settings.

0" and 0"
View attachment 542121

Shoving the speakers into the front corners brings the decline up nicely but produces a dip around 70Hz. Slight problem - that's where my left and rights are. Not an option as they can't move.

Left wall, front and rear cornersView attachment 542122

Hugging the left wall, tight into the front and rear corners, yet again, maintains the spike at 28Hz and helps with the dip at 70 but, as before, the left speaker can't move.

60" and 60", diagonal corners
View attachment 542126

Sixty inches from the front-left corner and 60" from the rear-right corner gives an abrupt, but not terribly deep dB-wise, cutoff from 47 to 49Hz. The abrupt dive from 75 to 80 Hz isn't ideal, either.

61" and 42"
View attachment 542123

Curious to see just how much difference it makes for placement, I located them back at the (at least for now) best spots - along the left and right walls, 60" from the front wall and tweaked them 1" and 18" respectively which produced the most dramatic cutoff of the group - absolutely nothing (at least comparatively from the 80dB spike at 57) from 61 to 62Hz.

As the real estate adage goes: "location, location, location!"

Nice, great way to tune a sub setup without going nuts second guessing yourself while trying to enjoy a movie.

A quick question though as I've never used any software based measuring tools. If I install the software on my laptop can I just use the Audyssey microphone that came with my Marantz HT reciever ? Or would I need something better. I'm unsure of the quality of the microphones bundled with HT receivers. I've never given much though to doing this until reading your post.

@SVX Those Magnepans are a very well regarded speakers, I assume your dad knows the issues they may have ? The voice coil wires turning green from oxidisation and separating from the panel or the ribbon tweeters failing.

I'm more curious as to what gear he has in front of them, is that a tube pre-amp or integrated amp on top of his rack ?

Last edited:
If I install the software on my laptop can I just use the Audyssey microphone that came with my Marantz HT reciever ?
The images I posted are straight out of the room simulation part of the Room EQ Wizard. You plug in dimensions, number of subs, etc and it spits out results. No mic needed.

There are other things the software does like tone generating so somewhere in there might be the need for a mic. That's not something I've played with at all yet.

Seeing that I'm now pretty much finished, except for a pair of subwoofers, time for a post.

Now keep in mind that I had to work on a small budget, and limited space.

Starting with the TV. A gift from my brother. He's nuts.

DSC_0044.JPG

2 year old, 46" Samsung LED Smart TV. It's not connected to the internet, because my PC (media center) is connected through HDMI making the smart part pointless. Ish.
Given to me because my brother wanted a bigger one.

The amplifier.

DSC_0048.JPG

Sony STR-DB940 QS. Bought several years ago after some careful research on what would give me the best bang for little money. Cost me €75,-, needed repair which was easy and now is being kept repair free due to a 200mm fan mounted on the rear of the cabinet cooling both the amp and the PS4 that's one plank up. This really is a nice piece of equipment overlooked by many. It has some issues with inferior soldering but for the handyman like me that's a non-issue. Next to the PS4 is a Samsung TV box from the provider. Best not to mention it any further. Both are connected to the amp through optical. The PC is connected with 3.5mm jack to RCA cables.

The speakers.

The fronts.

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

Sony SS-F6000p. Bought for €75,-, again after some best bang for the buck research.

The rears.

DSC_0045.JPG

Sony SS-F6000p. Bought, again, for €75,-

Center speaker.

DSC_0043.JPG

Monitor Audio CC300. Gift from a friend.

All speakers have come into my possession because of the same story. All former owners have wifes/girlfriend who didn't like the look of big speakers in their house, my lady gave me free rein to handle the audio of the palace.

Some people just don't know what they're selling. But that's good. Excellent stuff for cheap for me.

TB
The images I posted are straight out of the room simulation part of the Room EQ Wizard. You plug in dimensions, number of subs, etc and it spits out results. No mic needed.

There are other things the software does like tone generating so somewhere in there might be the need for a mic. That's not something I've played with at all yet.

Ahh, I see, I'm going to try this when I'm home next. Looks like very veratile software, Thanks.

All former owners have wifes/girlfriend who didn't like the look of big speakers in their house...
Tell me about it! :rolleyes: Although lately the missus has been moaning about how the vocals are too quite on our current Samsung 7.1, so we're looking to get a new system for the main set up in the new house. Hope is on the horizon. ;)

Wish I had the knowledge to put together something like this and not rely on complete systems which, although good, I've never been 100% happy with.

Is everything €75 in Dutchiland? ;)

Wish I had the knowledge to put together something like this and not rely on complete systems which, although good, I've never been 100% happy with.

With a little reading you can and will learn a lot.
Also plenty of guys on here that will be willing to give advice.
The gains over a Home Theatre In A Box will be huge.

@TB that looks like a very interesting piece of software and I've downloaded it but just not sure if I should go ahead with it yet.
Currently I'm very happy with how my system sounds and I just know that will open a massive can of worms for me. :lol:

All speakers have come into my possession because of the same story. All former owners have wifes/girlfriend who didn't like the look of big speakers in their house, my lady gave me free rein to handle the audio of the palace.
And then there's me looking to go from this:
x158SSCN550-f-1.jpeg

(16-15/16"W x 6-3/4"H x 8-3/8"D) to this:
SL45C.jpg

(27.58"W x 6.5"H x 7"D)

I'd be going from (2) 5.25" to (4) 5.125". But then my entire front sound stage would all be Cerwin Vega. I'm just a sucker for those red surrounds with the black ash cabinets. :P
I'm certainly not one to stand in another guy's way when he on a gear acquisition mission but I might start with looking at your receiver and seeing if there's a setting to adjust the speaker's levels. If there is, kick up the center channel a few dB and see if that helps.

Conversely, you can not do that, agree with your wife that it needs to be replaced, move your current system into your bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, etc. and, as @Shaun stated, some of us would be happy to help you spend your money. :D
Currently I'm very happy with how my system sounds and I just know that will open a massive can of worms for me. :lol:
It had me in the theater with a tape measure verifying dimensions and adjusting the subs to be precisely at 60" off the front wall. And then promptly re-watching the "Like a rat in a trap, gentlemen!" "You might have the wrong animal there, sir." scene from The Dark Knight Rises. :D

Discovered the manufacturing date of the speakers - 1987.

@SVX Those Magnepans are a very well regarded speakers, I assume your dad knows the issues they may have ? The voice coil wires turning green from oxidisation and separating from the panel or the ribbon tweeters failing.

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any oxidisation, but the final two issues are things we've had to repair on both speakers.

First speaker is complete. Back up and running for the first time in probably close to two decades. Gave it a test with some The Cars minus the tweeters as we were missing the fuse (which has now been solved - set of quick blows). Ribbon cable was replaced around ten years ago, but the speaker did still not go after that. Now that my brother had moved out he was able to have an entire room to himself to inspect it fully, and found the real issue - the voice coil wires had separated entirely and had slightly bent themselves. Dad replaced the adhesive with cement, and then clear coated over the top to further protect them.

With this one solved he's moved on to the second one which had been progressively been failing, with the ribbon tweeters already failed. They had developed a farting sound, which he figured was something to do with the magnets initially, but under inspection discovered that the same issue had arose and the vocal coils had come apart and were vibrating against the top! This has now been solved, and now awaits the replacement of the tweeter ribbon.

I'm more curious as to what gear he has in front of them, is that a tube pre-amp or integrated amp on top of his rack ?

Just a picture I grabbed off the net I'm afraid, however he runs a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C with a Music Fidelity Amplifier.

SVX
Discovered the manufacturing date of the speakers - 1987.

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any oxidisation, but the final two issues are things we've had to repair on both speakers.

First speaker is complete. Back up and running for the first time in probably close to two decades. Gave it a test with some The Cars minus the tweeters as we were missing the fuse (which has now been solved - set of quick blows). Ribbon cable was replaced around ten years ago, but the speaker did still not go after that. Now that my brother had moved out he was able to have an entire room to himself to inspect it fully, and found the real issue - the voice coil wires had separated entirely and had slightly bent themselves. Dad replaced the adhesive with cement, and then clear coated over the top to further protect them.

With this one solved he's moved on to the second one which had been progressively been failing, with the ribbon tweeters already failed. They had developed a farting sound, which he figured was something to do with the magnets initially, but under inspection discovered that the same issue had arose and the vocal coils had come apart and were vibrating against the top! This has now been solved, and now awaits the replacement of the tweeter ribbon.

Just a picture I grabbed off the net I'm afraid, however he runs a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C with a Music Fidelity Amplifier.

Glad he was able to sort the problems out and get them back to life. I've never heard Magnepans though maybe someday. The Cambridge and Musical Fidelity is nice stuff, I'm currently using a Musical Fidelity integrated amp.

As I mentioned in the Recent Purchase thread, I have an illness. The newest addition to the family, in addition to everything else:

20160508_191022.jpg

Sony SA-WM500, a 13 year old, 12", 150 watt sub.

I'm still kicking around placement options. It'll either be just off center or I'm leaning towards it being in the left, rear corner. I need to look at Room EQ Wizard again.

I also need to recalibrate all three after I decided on its final resting place but HOLY CRAP the scene in Finding Nemo where Darla is tapping on the glass...! And that's with the volume for all three of them set to about 40% and the receiver was only at 35. Usually I watch movies at 55. :eek:

I miss my Hi-fi.

I mean, I still have it.. but thanks to the paper thin back wall in my lounge, and my desire not to start WWIII with my next door neighbour and his electric organ, I've barely used to it to even a tenth of it's capacity. This really hit me when I took SW:TFA home on Blu-Ray last month. I'd forgot that I'd sold my sub, it's been that long. Not that I watch as many films as I used to, but even for music, I'm pretty disgusted with myself that 99.5% of my music listening is done through my computer these days. :(

Do you not have any good HiFi shops on Jersey? Knowledge should barely be necessary, your ears should tell you what you need to know, and the sales person should fill in the technical blanks.

Do you not have any good HiFi shops on Jersey? Knowledge should barely be necessary, your ears should tell you what you need to know, and the sales person should fill in the technical blanks.
Not many. I wouldn't trust the standard electronics store guys and the top-end installers are way too expensive for me. I'm stuck in the middle here wanting a selection of good separates that can be installed properly to work together but doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.

Online shopping is king here (low import duty and free delivery), but getting the right components that all work together is impossible without hearing it combined, especially in situ. I don't have the experience to pick X-brand receiver to go with X-brand Bluray to go with X-brand surround speakers, centre and sub, etc. and make it all work.

Also what I'm worried about is that we watch/listen to a combination of sound formats. We watch Digital TV, blurays, online streaming and HD downloads, all of which appear to be coded differently. The main issue is the often muffled vocals and/or over-powering sound effects which mean you can't hear people talking that easily. Digital TV is fine as is anything in HD that I purchase (usually with 7.1 surround). But if we stream anything through our current set up, then it often has the vocal/music/effects balance issue. I've improved things as far as I can, but I need something more powerful or can give a more consistent level of sound quality. Which brings me back to the problem of not have enough experience to put something like that together and getting it right.

Not many. I wouldn't trust the standard electronics store guys and the top-end installers are way too expensive for me. I'm stuck in the middle here wanting a selection of good separates that can be installed properly to work together but doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.

Online shopping is king here (low import duty and free delivery), but getting the right components that all work together is impossible without hearing it combined, especially in situ. I don't have the experience to pick X-brand receiver to go with X-brand Bluray to go with X-brand surround speakers, centre and sub, etc. and make it all work.

Also what I'm worried about is that we watch/listen to a combination of sound formats. We watch Digital TV, blurays, online streaming and HD downloads, all of which appear to be coded differently. The main issue is the often muffled vocals and/or over-powering sound effects which mean you can't hear people talking that easily. Digital TV is fine as is anything in HD that I purchase (usually with 7.1 surround). But if we stream anything through our current set up, then it often has the vocal/music/effects balance issue. I've improved things as far as I can, but I need something more powerful or can give a more consistent level of sound quality. Which brings me back to the problem of not have enough experience to put something like that together and getting it right.

Hmm, I just did a quick google, I guess Jersey is no different in that decent high street HiFi shops are few and far between nowadays.

Just to clarify:
Digital TV = fine
Blu ray = fine
HD download = fine
Stream = Dialogue often too quiet against other channels

?

If that's correct, what are you using to stream?

Back