Whats your expectation on GT Sport

What's your level of expectation on GT Sport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sadly, GTS is below my expectation. Of course it is still being developed but I don't think that PD can improve it dramatically considering the release is only five months away.

And note that I haven't play it. Just watched some gameplay videos.

I think that it will be a little better than the previous GT games, but not something special.
We need to see something special and different, not the same game with just better graphics.

This will not be the same game is the thing. The same game would let you take an '88 Silvia Ks literally 3/4 through the game until it just couldn't keep up anymore. That doesn't seem to be remotely possible to do this time around.

Well, for one there is now three more AI on the track at a given time, and it has been proven by other members at events who actually played the game that the AI seems to be able to actually hold speed in the corners. I've watched videos and they seem faster in the corners to me. I wouldnt say there have been absolutely no improvements. But you are right, they are still nowhere near the 100% AI in project cars in the Renault Clio cup.
I watched some video yesterday of a lap at Brands Hatch after seeing a comment that the AI were able to keep up with the driver and he only made one overtake in a single lap vs the usual "pass the whole field in 3 corners" AI we're used to. Turns out the driver and the AI were on roughly the same pace...10+ seconds off the potential of the car. Both were taking the same lousy middle of the track racing line as well.

l don't like racing offline in any game but I'm keeping a close eye on it because I know it's so important to so many people. Still waiting to see any significant improvements in pace.

I watched some video yesterday of a lap at Brands Hatch after seeing a comment that the AI were able to keep up with the driver and he only made one overtake in a single lap vs the usual "pass the whole field in 3 corners" AI we're used to. Turns out the driver and the AI were on roughly the same pace...10+ seconds off the potential of the car. Both were taking the same lousy middle of the track racing line as well.

So, you're saying the driver just sucks?

So, you're saying the driver just sucks?
He was slow, yes, and so were the AI. Don't know what the setting was for the AI and it might have been on beginner for all I know but I'm not drawing any conclusions either way. Just saying that in all the video I've seen so far, including that one, I have yet to see AI that are anywhere close to the pace of what I would imagine most experienced players could achieve or what most players would find challenging.

I voted 6. Considering I never played a single race online in GT5 or 6, it's basically arcade modes and licences to me.

Weak car list considering that we already have at least one duplicate (one of the VGT) and at this point I'm assuming it's around 80 or so unique cars plus a race modified version.

Judging by the crashes they are still using the same game engine, I expect unnoticeable physics changes comparable to the "redone" physics engine in GT6.

Graphics are slightly improved but chose a brighter palette similar to Forza instead of the old darker one.

No modifications to cars, we will have to see if after... 6 years they have fixed the tuning.

18 tracks including a oval.

Yeah.

I expect reviews to be all over the place for this game. If anyone goes into it looking for GT7 they're going to be disappointed by the low car and track count. If reviewers keep a totally open mind about what the game is and is trying to do I expect most reviewers to give it a rating of 7 or 8. Many reviewers are going to focus on sound IMO. It's often mentioned in reviews and I think, so far, many reviewers have given sounds a pass because the game was so big and so ahead of the competition visually on the PS3. But with several games already looking and sounding pretty stellar on the PS4, sounds will come increasingly into focus. If they fail to make substantial improvement from where they are now I have a hard time seeing anyone giving the game more than an 8.

I'm sure the game will play wonderfully, and after the E3 footage, I'm much more confident about the visuals and framerate. I expect sounds to be moderately improved, but not on par with the best in the business. The game will likely be criticized for its comparatively small car and track count by people who prioritize content over quality, and after dealing with the ramifications of the flawed mindset over the past six years, I honestly couldn't care less how they feel. So in all of those respects, I'm sure GT Sport will be fine.

However, I believe the eSports slant will only excite a select few, likely the best players in the world (not sure it's the most intelligent strategy to build your game around the top 5% of players on your leaderboards, but perhaps I have it all wrong). Polyphony is calling this a simulator for everyone, but I can't see anyone but the most serious players caring. Unfortunately, those most serious usually spend their time in iRacing and AC, and scoff at Gran Turismo. So I think it'll have a tough time courting the sim faithful.

Which brings me to how I personally feel about GT Sport (which, if I may shamelessly self-promote, I say more eloquently in a post I recently made on my personal blog, which you can reach by the first link in my sig). The things that made GT what it was do not appear to be present in this game. There's no massive single-player campaign, and no way to really upgrade, personalize, or customize your cars (save for the livery editor). It seems to be all about competitive online racing, with no game to complement the simulation. In that way, it'll be much more like the simulators it's trying to steal mindshare from, and less like a GT game in the traditional sense. Unfortunately, since about twelve other games are doing exactly the same thing, I highly doubt it'll stand out in any meaningful way.

TL;DR: Technically great, but ultimately not innovative or compelling enough to draw either the hardcore or casual crowd.

I can't wait, it won't review well as it is online focused.

Online only games can review well, it all depends how well it is done. When a game has both online and offline it can get away with one or the other being not so good but when one is gone, the one that is left has to be very well done. Imagine GT6, as it is, without the offline content. It wouldn't have reviewed well. Whether GTS will do so remains to be seen of course, but we can't give them a pass to lower scores because it's online focused.

Wonderful graphics, above average physics (from what I've heard), nice course selection, and great car customization; I expect a lot but I know I'll receive a lot. I've been a fan since numero uno, so I don't want to stop now. Am I disappointed by PD's past decisions? Yes. Very much. But I know they aren't in it for the money, and they do care about their customers. I can see that they are trying very hard for this next installment. I expect a lot, but I know that good will become of this.

/speech

I've been patiently lobbying for this game since 2005. A game which has a solid racing sim format with the ability to create our own liveries. Modifying sports cars is out, but then it's also not GT7.

My main criticisms of GT5 and 6 are being addressed: slower, spread out bot cars, and races with cars of often random categories. This is going to be FIA style GT racing with cars built to suit the "league." With better physics than GT6, perhaps better graphics than almost any game, I'm more than sold on this.

For me, 9. I can hardly wait.

I need some clarification on how to vote.

I expect the game to be incredible but I believe it will not live up to my expectations. Do I vote according to what my expectations from the game will be or do I vote how I expect it will actually end up.

7HO

I expect the game to be incredible but I believe it will not live up to my expectations. Do I vote according to what my expectations from the game will be or do I vote how I expect it will actually end up.

Follow your heart, my friend! :lol::lol::gtpflag:

7HO

Vote according to your expectation from the game. You can change your vote if you change your mind.

Well I have gone with a 6 for now. The game looks great and I think it has the potential to be a 10, to be the greatest game ever.

BUT Kaz has worried me with his replies about Physics recently and now I'm afraid they will really let the game down. And I have no idea if matchmaking will be implemented well enough and I'm seeing a lot of cars that just look out of place and 20 car limits on official servers is very disappointing so at the moment it really isn't looking like the future of Motorsports and I'm afraid it will be a very disappointing release for me personally. Hopefully I will be able to change my vote later when I see more or if I get to try it but most of all I'm hoping I'm wrong at release and the game is the 10 I imagine it could be. I laugh and cry a little inside each time I think that because it's GT, it is kinda sad to hope for it to be a 10 really.

I go 9 for now, just give me Monza, Spa and a Continental GT3 and Ill be good for a long time.

I voted "mediocre" because it is not what I expect a GT game to be.

I'm not sure about you guys but I always played GT games to enjoy cars, to take a look at them, drive those cars that I would probably never own in real life, to race in circuits and have fun withe them (no stress...just simple fun in a game), do some tests and comparisons between cars, etc.

The thing is that I personally don't care about what PD or Kazunori is trying to "achieve" with "his" game. He wants to make us all more competitive (that is not bad at all) through online competitions, he wants us all to become real pilots or at least try to become one...But do we really want to become a real pilot? In my case I don't...I am a 31 year old gamer, I played most GT's since the first one and I loved the game for the reasons stated above...so to me this thing of "trying to force us to become something..." is not my cup of tea at all.

Bring back that love for the cars, give me tons of hours of testing and enjoyment, give us the better things we want (sounds, Sounds, actual ENGINE SOUNDS) so we can enjoy a Gran Turismo game again and not this "Reality Show" of a game that Kazunori want us to play.

There are other points in GT Sport that don't make it for me, like the fact that there are concept cars racing against real world regulated cars. That doesn't make any sense to me, though I know that if they have those cars they will put them in their game...but watching those cars racing all together feels so wrong to me.

That's my opinion.

tbh games for PS4 are really poor quality/design. very rare we get a game that is 10/10. i mean the crew sucked, project cars was full of bugs, drive club started off terrible, GTAV was poorly executed, far cry primal was far cry 4 which was far cry 3 and so on, destiny was 30% complete, just cause 3 was crap, fallout 4 was fun for a month or two, ratchet and clank was way too short, so was teraway unfolded, little big planet 3 was terrible, killzone was ok, BF4 was the s***test game i have ever played. my expectations for GTS are really low, ive been letdown enough this gen.

I give this one an 8. Although GT Sport is just a taste of Gran Turismo on PS4, and as they claim it is as big as a full title, we could get adjusted to a PS4 Gran Turismo with all the fully thought out cars, tracks and features, so this one could make a big impact on PS4 owners (just as long as it doesn't hurt the hard drive size). It could be fun, but let us all be reminded that GT Sport is like an appetizer and future GT games (probably GT7 and GT8) would be the main course.

I think PD shutting down the GT5 servers really hurt their reputation among the masses of GT players. I found NFS Carbon for PS3 a while back. That 10 year old game still had the ability to go online. Severing the head off of games to save server space for your newest creations is being penny wise and pound foolish. It sets a nasty trend when games are becoming more and more online focused. GT5 is complete enough to be enjoyable still even though the online prompts are there taunting you.

GT6 will be only marginally enjoyable without online. I imagine GT Sport will be basically crippled the way the trend is going...

Last edited:
No way it gets a 10 if the single player aspect is barren and the sounds don't improve enough, I can see it getting a 85+ metacritic though.

Gran Turismo has always been consistently strong in physics and graphics (when Standard cars are part of the discussion), and I expect GT Sport to be no different.

However, we are still in the dark regarding things like AI, sound, and damage, and whether or not these elements are improved in the final product will determine if people snidely refer to GT Sport as "GT6.5" or "GT6 Remastered".

Furthermore, if this is the "new era" for GT, Sport sure isn't doing a good job of making it look new. PD needs to stop making racing look like some sterile experience. Working on the presentation of this game alone would help make it stand out, but with how unimaginative the menus and UI are once again, I think it's too late for that.

And with the so-called Campaign Mode looking nothing more than License Tests on steroids and competitive racing being the center of attention, I won't be surprised if this game gets shot down for deserting the casual audience. The removal of dynamic time and weather could hurt it too.

For me personally, I voted for 6 and below on the poll. The only thing I feel positive about is the livery editor that's finally coming to Gran Turismo. I'm looking forward to seeing what the GTPlanet community will create with it and fortunately, I don't need to buy the game to see that.

Last edited:
I voted a 7. I should clarify it's a high 7 (or high 70's on something like Metacritic), and maybe it'll sneak into the 80's, but I think – for better or worse – the expectations based on past GT games will be what weighs most heavily on GT Sport. This is a game that eschews a lot of the casual-friendly stuff that GT6 was known for, and while a lot of the features of the last-gen were half-baked in their implementation, I feel that probably didn't bother casuals as much as it did people that join forums to discuss the game. The level of quality certainly seems more consistent with GT Sport, but at three years into the current generation, is that enough?

I'm thinking the narrow focus won't earn it points with the general gaming sites, even if it's well done. There just doesn't seem like there's as much to do in the game as both older GT titles and other racing games, and that could hurt scores.

I'm curious as to how Assetto Corsa will be received on consoles, and that could be a hint as to what to expect from GTS. For reference, a lot of games occupy the 81-84 area: GT6 (81), GT5 (84), PCARS (83 on PS4 and PC, 81 on XB1), and Shift 2 (84 PC, 82 X360, 81 PS3). The highest-rated sim-oriented console racing game I can find that's been reviewed over the past few years is FM6 (87). AC on PC is close behind at 85...

I voted for 9. Gfx, gameplay wise I am sure it will be great. Tracks are plenty, cars also should be ok. Lots of people somehow I think this is online game but I am going to spend more time in offline. I might get into online racing if people race fair and are doing similar times like me. Most time some are too fast and some are slower and the lag does not make it fun either.

Wow, you're expecting it to be that bad?
Yes and no. Yes because as a one player title I expect it to be nothing short of total rubbish. No because on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 to 5 should be shown.

I'm giving it a 7 for the moment, and based how FM5 was "destroyed" in the reviews for the low car/track count, I am expecting GTS will get a similar reception. So far GT Sport looks like a bigger "Prologue" title to me, a good game, but I'm hardly expecting the "new standard in racing."
Graphics looks great and consistent this time arround. Unfortunately PD showed us little to nothing about the new features, and while many sound great (sportmans ship system, livery editor) we'll have yet to see them in action (I still remember GT6 giving 10 sec penalties when someone else rear ended you.)
The fact that they still didn't showed any damage and barely mentioned the AI makes me think not much has changed on those areas and while sounds have been improved, I think they still have a lot of work to do.

Latest Posts

Back