Wheel Stands, Racing Rigs Cockpits, Pedals, Wheels. Master List

• Thread starter SGETI
  • 1,156 comments
Only on your 3rd MayCad plans ? I went thru about 5-6 diff plans. The guy above does a good job, BUT, he over complicates the build in more than one area.
Take the back of the rig. Make your life easier and your rig stronger, mount all pieces inside the rails, no need for extra work to tap the ends. Single inside brackets are all that is needed. No need for double wide brackets, just extra money. Ditch the wood, weak link. Look at Px1 seat rails and attach directly.

The pedal tray is another weak link. For short money the following is rock solid, adjustable and comes with 'feet'.

Re. the P1-x above, here is the pedal tray with feet. https://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/p1-upgrade-kit-532?category=2#attr=371,436

Lastly, The largest issue is the wheel mounting. These rigs and brackets are made for 90 degree attachment, not some random angle that feels good and hope if I tighten the screws enough the wheel will not move. Suggest proper wheel mount bracket, such as,
https://sandtsracingfab.com/products/8020-series-steering-wheel-deck-with-tilt/

The price is fair in my opinion also. Tip of the day. One last item, nuts. Save yourself frustration of trying to line up the bolts, get the roll in spring loaded T nuts.

Only on your 3rd MayCad plans ? I went thru about 5-6 diff plans. The guy above does a good job, BUT, he over complicates the build in more than one area.
Take the back of the rig. Make your life easier and your rig stronger, mount all pieces inside the rails, no need for extra work to tap the ends. Single inside brackets are all that is needed. No need for double wide brackets, just extra money. Ditch the wood, weak link. Look at Px1 seat rails and attach directly.

The pedal tray is another weak link. For short money the following is rock solid, adjustable and comes with 'feet'.

Re. the P1-x above, here is the pedal tray with feet. https://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/p1-upgrade-kit-532?category=2#attr=371,436

Lastly, The largest issue is the wheel mounting. These rigs and brackets are made for 90 degree attachment, not some random angle that feels good and hope if I tighten the screws enough the wheel will not move. Suggest proper wheel mount bracket, such as,
https://sandtsracingfab.com/products/8020-series-steering-wheel-deck-with-tilt/

The price is fair in my opinion also. Tip of the day. One last item, nuts. Save yourself frustration of trying to line up the bolts, get the roll in spring loaded T nuts.
Got you.
So I’m basically better off rebuilding the P1 with all its measures, one difference: 120x40 instead of 160x40 for the base frame. Should come helpful when I’m expanding the rig and there is already some hardware kits available.
I’m not a fan of the wood either, fully agree here. Simplicity is king.

The P1 upgrade kit is nice, but it’s more than 50% of the current budget!! I get the idea though.

the wheel mount looks ok for its price. But it would look a bit off compared to the silver aluminum rig... I guess. Question: any benefits from front mounting the wheel?

Yes, I picked those spring loaded nuts already. https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Winkel-40-I-Typ-Nut-8-inkl-Befestigungssatz-und-Abdeckkappe
Thanks for the tip!

on Friday I’ll have a look over the CAD project with a friend. I’ll report back this weekend.

Last edited:
@SGETI ... and all other community members... ;) I found these “used” simlab P1 pedal brackets for 45 Euro.

1c0636af-39de-43f3-ac7j4d.jpeg

With 2 custom 120x40 plates/bars (and the pedals mounted) I’d be direct to the rig as it gets, right?! I’m tempted to get these... even if they look like a „predecessor“ version. Still solid I guess.

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO

sold. problem solved. Rigid and solid. Does that include any nuts and bolts?

Make sure to think about a heal tray or rail as well as if this pedal tray has enough adjustment for your needs. Check simlab for measurements.

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO

sold. problem solved. Rigid and solid. Does that include any nuts and bolts?

Make sure to think about a heal tray or rail as well as if this pedal tray has enough adjustment for your needs. Check simlab for measurements.
Thanks!
It’s just the 2 pieces of metal. Nuts and bolt I need to get but shouldn’t be that hard. Maybe he’s dropping the price to 40.
i checked on simlab but only the newer version is shown. I’ll check YouTube for reviews of the old version.
See the picture?! This should give enough room to adjust plus the 120x40 base Frame have 3 lanes to adjust even more.
I’ll just buy 2 bars separately like the official pedal kit includes them. Cost me about 20-28 Euro for 1 40x80 and 1 160x40 in appropriate length.

And by the way...
The CSL elite PS4 kit is gone from the European and US websites. I visit there every day for a couple of weeks now and the entries are gone. Is this an indication of the new line up replacing the Elite kit? :confused: :eek:

Last edited:
@SGETI more and more i'm leaning towards solid, future proof, materials... you did good on me! :D

i found this front mounting bracket for the CSL ELite: https://www.simxpro.shop/home/Fanatec-CSL-Front-mount-410-420-mm-p212746980
with taxes its about 105 euro. plus 45 for the used pedal brackets thats a 150 euro for some solid mterials. nothing but the aluminium profiles, the seat, bolts + nuts and some cabs needed to finalize the rig.

then i found this review of a P1 build (the old version, but im good with that): https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/24573-sim-lab-p1-buildreview/
this guy has mounted some huuuge adjustable angle brackets for the wheel table. those would perfectly fit the metal front mount i linked above!

and the store i want to order my profiles from are offering those: https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Gelenk-40x80-I-Typ-Nut-8

what do you think? those are adjustable and fixable. are they good enough or is it better trying to find some metal plates that can be adjusted like the ones that come with the new P1-X in section 6a of the PDF: file:///C:/Users/ABA79~1.HOR/AppData/Local/Temp/P1-X-manual-0-9-1.pdf

costs are raising now... :) but id spent a bit more for the peace in my head! :)

Last edited:
so, the 4th and final CAD drawing is done. i'm ready to order! :D

01buka1.png

02tpjhm.png

it became basically the old P1 cockpit.

i have my material list ready like this:

2x 120x40 1400mm base frame
2x 120x40 500mm base frame
2x 120x40 780mm wheel arms
2x 40x40 500mm seat holder
2x 40x40 580mm pedal tray (because the pedal bracket will be sitting outside of the frame and i need to consider the base frame)
1x 80x40 580mm pedal tray (because the pedal bracket will be sitting outside of the frame and i need to consider the base frame)

20x corner brackets including screws
18x caps to cover the ends
10x nuts for pedal tray
10x bolts for pedal tray

wheel mount (as linked above) i will order later or when a new Fanatec Wheel is announced (you know, the drilled holes for the buttons and such..)
pedal brackets (as linked above) i will try to buy from this guy on ebay

i will get some solid feet, like the simlab ones, later. will use some furniture pads for now so the rig isnt sitting directly on the wooden floor.

this looks so much cleaner, material list and construction wise! i hope i'm good now. anything i forgot!?

thank you so much @SGETI for helping me A LOT along the way!!! :cheers:

i'm pretty sure ill be back with some new questions though! :lol:

edit: one mayor question that just came to my mind. How do I get the pedal profiles threaded so I can screw the bolts in?! So far, this whole thing could be assembled with some basic tools I have at home. I never drilled those threads (?)before...

Last edited:
Looks great! item, 20x corner brackets including screws. Remember each bracket requires two nuts and two bolts , 40? Do yourself a favor and add a few xtra corner brackets nuts and bolts. I wish I had ordered xtra at time of build.

The steering wheel mount, on sale 46.49. The video from the link for the steering mount does not show those angle brackets. Do you need them? The site states the wheel mount is , 'Adjustable: Yes. Tilt up and down, forward and backward, up and down'. They do look nice.

anything i forgot!?
Of course you forgot something, and not until the most inconvenient time is when you will realize just what you forgot. That is how most of these projects advance. :banghead::lol: (at least my projects)

Hope you find your Fanatec wheel soon.

@PRO_TOO

How are you attaching your pedals to the pedal bracket on the rig? Will you need , corner brackets, nuts and bolts?
Right. I’ll order those as soon as I’m set on the wheel itself. Let’s see what fanatec is up to.
same with the wheel mount, the big f’er! Let’s see what shape the new wheels gone be.

and you are freaking spot on with that “what I’ve forgot” topic! :lol:
Btw: I’m in contact with the seller of those pedal metals. The plan is to grab em on Sunday.
First piece of the puzzle, it will be! :embarrassed: Just saying...

Last edited:
Update: February 14th 2021

Guys, I wanna take you on a ride, same ride I was in... the train of happiness/bliss! Because shared fun is double the fun, right!?

So today, a lovely cold and snowy (plus sunny) day in February, mid Germany, few cars on the road (like you can set it up in good racing sim software) I picked up the first piece of the puzzle. The pedal brackets! But not only that...

While I was planning my Rig the last couple of weeks, I was searching for accessories on eBay... on local eBay I found the P1 pedal brackets. I send a message to the seller, who turned out to be a sim racing nut, asking for the price of the brackets. A few messages later we had a deal plus an awesome conversation! It wasnt that typical eBay chatter, it felt like talking to a friend, ready to give me advice when needed!

saying he’d place the goods at some spot at his house so I could grab em, I drove like 30 min to arrive at his place today around 1pm. Being happy about our deal I had thoughts when I drove over there.
„It’s all good“, he said via email... „we sim racers have a codecs, we trust each other“.
I felt confident and when I arrived, walking up a snow covered lane, I picked up those braking pedal brackets and the profiles attached to them (wich all was presented in a nice way), got them off the ground and i fell in love! With the quality of the materials and the smoothness of that deal at the same time! Just awesome! Happy me!!

d3604084-b92a-40cd-852kot.jpeg

10f59e59-2b53-4580-b44j1o.jpeg

I left a bottle of Riesling whine I brought, send the 85 Euro via PayPal and a lovely message, before I left the area and drove home.

those brackets found a new home. Finally.
249cc10b-ce54-408f-bidkyi.jpeg

Nuts and bolts were included!

4c43262a-c866-46db-9cpk3c.jpeg

I’m very satisfied tonight with acquiring the first parts of what will be an awesome sim rig for me! That’s it for now, stay safe, stay healthy and have a good night!

Edit: just one small thing. I can’t stretch one topic to much but that kind of personal contact and interaction with “strangers” is what the world needs, imo! Maybe I’m making to much out of a simple selling situation but I feel good! Sooo good!
I’ll stay in contact with the buyer for sure.

We are one community! Peace. ✌️

Last edited:
hey guys,
if one of you could have a quick look at the order i want to send out later today (to ensure i got that correct) that would be helpful and much appriciated. i'm super hyped at the moment and might make a mistake while ordering. ;)
thank you in advance.

as the pedal tray section is complete since last night (nuts and bolts are included), its just the base frame and seat holder i need to order.
the wheel mount i will order later or the same time i order the wheel set itself.

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Alu...00-bis-2000-mm-3600-EUR-m-040-EUR-pro-Schnitt
2x 120x40 - 1400mm (base frame - length)

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Alu...ht-silber-eloxiert-Standardlaengen-3500-EUR-m
2x 120x40 - 500mm (base frame - width)

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Alu...ITT-bis-1200mm-3600-EUR-m-040-EUR-pro-Schnitt
2x 120x40 - 780mm (wheel table arms - height)

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Alu...ht-silber-eloxiert-Standardlaengen-1090-EUR-m
2x 40x40 - 500mm (seat holder - length)

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Winkel-40-I-Typ-Nut-8-inkl-Befestigungssatz-und-Abdeckkappe
22x corner bracket sets (corner brackets, nuts, bolts, caps)

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Profilabdeckkappen-40x40-I-Typ-Nut-8
4x 40x40 caps (seat holder)

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Profilabdeckkappe-40x120-I-Typ-Nut-8
8x 40x120 caps (base rig and wheel arms)

to get a better overview, the CAD drawing again:
01buka1.png

the 3 bars (plus caps, nuts and bolts) for the pedal tray arent needed anymore!!!
rubber feet i will get later.

the neccessary tools to assamble the parts i got at home (or i can lend from a friend), some working gloves too, plus a good beer from bavaria so i dont dry out while building. ;)

Last edited:
I've now had my Playseat Challenge for a few days over five years, and with almost daily use and a long history of mods and add-ons, I thought I would share how it's stood the test of time and what's currently bolted onto it.

Is it sturdy enough or do you have flex and wheel movement while driving?

i just ordered one for my rig! ...and yes... i also ordered some 10mm plates so it fits!

Great price. Have to ask about the 10mm plates. Your rig will be 500mm, + 2x table arm @ 40mm , + your 2X 10mm plates will = 600mm.

Tying to picture how this will all attach. Will you need longer bolts? How many?

Your list looks spot on for measurement.

plus a good beer from bavaria so i dont dry out while building.

Safety first, Always make sure you are well hydrated for any job :cheers:

Great price. Have to ask about the 10mm plates. Your rig will be 500mm, + 2x table arm @ 40mm , + your 2X 10mm plates will = 600mm.

Tying to picture how this will all attach. Will you need longer bolts? How many?

Your list looks spot on for measurement.

Safety first, Always make sure you are well hydrated for any job :cheers:
Yes sir, I thought of the plates as well! Will order them (in black) from a German company. Got the bolts already at home; flathead M8 25mm. 3x M6 for the wheel base and 6x M8 25mm for the wheel deck too, all nicely arranged upwards! :lol:

i will take it slow, even when I can hardly stay calm... it’s all so exciting. Feeling like a kid again playing with adults Lego! :)
The wheel deck will probably arrive next Tuesday. Evenly day more I spent thinking and rethinking stuff, having a look at some other schematics, watching another diy video, I find something new to improve. :)

today it was the base frames feet. See, I need a little bit more of height for my rig, so I need feet. The original feet package from SimLabs is €50 but I just want to save some costs. So I came up with more profile to use as the feet. Did a quick editing job in MS Paint... :lol:

d3caac83-a8ee-41ac-avbjaw.jpeg

You get the idea! ;)

It’s cheaper. Gives more height. And it looks better to me. :) will think it about some more.

cheers!

Last edited:
quick update, Feb. 22nd, 2021:

so while the wheel deck (edit: click here for a picture!) is already on its way from SimLabs storage to mid germany, i ordered the rest of all necessary parts this morning (from 2 different sources).

i finally found some cheap feet (click here) to get some more height for my rig (as mentioned before). the feet set even features those 10mm plates... lets see.

even when i had a look at my material list multiple times... i'm pretty sure, i fogot something!
biggrin.gif
its always like that!

this week, i will collect all the tools needed to assemble the whole thing. i will prepare the working environment like making space and laying out protection for the wooden floor.

what else is there to say?! well, i'm planning on documenting the whole building process and putting a video on youtube. i was thinking of taking pictures only but a video might be better, more detailed. not sure yet how i will do this and what kind of video i will create, but i want to share somehow! maybe some other people will notice and start creating their own project...

i'll be back as soon as all the parts are delivered and the building process is about to start!

stay safe!

Last edited:
quick update, Feb. 24th, 2021:

so today, 2 packages got delivered! one from Motedis with some metal plates for the feet and wheel arms (plus some minor stuff like caps) and one from SimLabs!

and oh boy... that wheel deck is one solid piece of hardware! :drool: you can feel the quality when you have it in hands! :bowdown: i'm so glad i was listening to the advices here!! Thanks again!
i thought the wheel deck would be greyish (from the pics in the SimLab shop) but its an all black finish and screws plus nuts were included!

so there is one final delivery coming next week... and then its Bob the builder time! :D

Last edited:
just a quick update:
the rig build will probably be done by next week. i had to order some more materials that i forgot (its always like that with a DIY project, right @SGETI ?! :D )!
i ordered a wheel and pedals today but cant say more right now!
wink2.gif

i am happy as a 6 year old on christmas... i'll let you know next week!

greatness awaits...!

Last edited:
Is this a secret?:)
i make it one! ;)

thanks for your interest but sorry mate, please be a bit more patient... first i want to finish the building of the sim racing rig! a video will follow! then a video with me unpacking the hardware could follow! i have plans to start a new youtube channel, maybe twitch... not sure atm! with this channel i have rough plans to stream my sim racing life as it is about to start (from zero to "hero")! you get me!
its a hell of a good time atm! building the rig, waiting for the wheel, searching for good gloves, preparing the living room to make the rig fit somehow... pretty busy times but a hell lot of fun!! :D

it will all make sense... soon... somehow... i hope!!! :lol:

Last edited:
super quick update, march 17th:
stay cool guys... we are on the final stretch!
last day at work for this week, so there will be plenty of time to finalize the cockpit. had to order some minor stuff i forgot (who would have thought!? :D ) and its arriving tommorow. the seat was prepared and tuned last night and will be professionally cleaned today.
i'll surely be back with more information and pictures by the end of the week! stay safe!

Finally almost done, last item coming is the keyboard tray. Recently switched from running xBox to gaming PC, what a difference, especially with this monitor, if only I could actually buy an RTX 3080 to complete the build...

Attachments

• Almost Done_01.jpg
    Almost Done_01.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Almost Done_02.jpg
    Almost Done_02.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 80
Schumi 307 – one rig to drive them all!

It all started last winter, when the weather was depressing as was the worlds Covid Pandemic was/is. So let me bring some more fun into my living realm, i thought to myself. Lets get into SimRacing again but this time a bit more serious.

Being a former owner of a TM T300RS i wanted to step up the game a bit and decided to get a Fanatec CSL Elite Bundle. I needed a Wheel and Pedals that were Playstation compatible, as the PS5 is the center of my gaming expirience. While looking for inspiration regarding a new SimRacing Cockpit, i found the models of SimLabs or Motedis. As the prices for those cockpits, especially the ones i liked the most, were a bit steep, i decided to build my own cockpit based on those models.

I sat down and installed the free CAD software MayCAD on my Computer, a simple and intuitive 3D design based software. A couple of days later my 4th or 5th attempt was satisfiyng enough to start scouting the internet for material sources.

A few days later, the first parts arrived and a week later i had all the stuff at home waiting to be assembled. „All the materials needed“ i thought, but how wrong i was. It’s a DIY project so some aspects may not work out as planned; i had to learn that!
1biggrin.gif

So it all began with the base, 1350mm in length, 500mm in width, followed by attaching the feet.
I ordered those metal feet plates (10mm), 12mm rods and anti-slipping mat for small money online.

I was was lucky to get my hands on some used P1 pedal brackets from a SimRacing enthusiast who helped me with tipps and tricks and still is in contact with me.

The side-arms, supposed to hold the wheel deck, were next. I slid them in with ease and now it looked more like a cockpit.

The next part of the base cockpit had me install the seat holder section. I meassured and fiddled and finaly installed a Mazda 6 seat i was lucky to grab. A colleague at work helped me out a lot with preparing the seat and cutting screws and such.

The wheel deck was the final part that needed to be installed, but i attached it tot he wheel base first and then hooked it up to the cockpit side arms!

While building the cockpit, i was checking the Fanatec website constantly, awaiting the CSL Elite Bundle to be in stock again. Till today it hasnt been restocked in europe. In anticipation of the wheel i ordered my first pair of racing gloves, just to wear them at home while watching motorsports on TV!
wink2.gif

When the base of the rig was roughly done (when is a DIY project ever done, right!?) and i was regulary watching countless of review videos of driving hardware, i had enough of the waiting. I ordered from Fanatec‘s website what was available!
1biggrin.gif

More on that in the second part of the building report… stay tuned folks!

a special thank you goes out to @SGETI, @Scaff and everyone that helped me so far (@super_gt )! appreciate your help big time !

Last edited:
Been using the GT Omega Prime for a little over a week now, and I’ve been very happy with it. Was worried about the pedal flex some reviewers have mentioned, but coming from a Wheelstand pro and using T-LCM pedals I don’t notice flex one bit.

Back