Wheels

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 223 comments
Astro/Safari "riveted" wheels.

s-l2000.jpg

The first-gen Blazer/Jimmy (S-10/S-15) had a similar design available but it was smooth between the lugs and had the smaller bolt circle.

I mentioned polycast wheels elsewhere and said I may do a treatment on them here, but instead I think I'll meter some in from time to time.
Revisiting polycasts. These were optional on seventh generation Ford Thunderbird and their Mercury Cougar siblings.

unnamed-4-1584367859666@2x.jpg

The aluminum "turbine" wheels that were available on these cars are maybe more objectively attractive--they're definitely lighter--but I appreciate polycasts because they're polycasts.

Revisiting polycasts. These were optional on seventh generation Ford Thunderbird and their Mercury Cougar siblings.

unnamed-4-1584367859666@2x.jpg

The aluminum "turbine" wheels that were available on these cars are maybe more objectively attractive--they're definitely lighter--but I appreciate polycasts because they're polycasts.
I'm not even sure what polycast means. Are they cast in separate pieces and then assembled?

Last edited:
I'm not even sure what polycast means. Are they cast in separate pieces and then assembled?
They're a basic steel wheel into which a more complex design is polymer cast. Tooling up is much less costly than for cast metal wheels, but they also tend to be much heavier than aluminum or magnesium counterparts due to the steel wheel base and the additional weight of the cast design.

Pontiac's "Honeycomb" is probably the most popular example, even if people aren't aware that it is one.

honeycomb_02.jpg

They're a basic steel wheel into which a more complex design is polymer cast. Tooling up is much less costly than for cast metal wheels, but they also tend to be much heavier than aluminum or magnesium counterparts due to the steel wheel base and the additional weight of the cast design.

Pontiac's "Honeycomb" is probably the most popular example, even if people aren't aware that it is one.

honeycomb_02.jpg
Ah, got it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite Rims ingeneral
1648689294119.png

1648689367922.png

They're just, nice a simple and pleasing to the eye, in my opinion

Last edited:
'90s Caprices had handsome aluminum wheels. The balloony tires didn't do them any favors, though. Frankly, neither did the lug covers.

s-l1600.jpg

end-of-the-line-47k-mile-1996-chevrolet-caprice-classic-lt1-sedan76649929-770-0_2X.jpg

Yesterday I was reminded of these:
img_5783_9b589f6bd532a0ffd59e03e3487a55a0c8bedc1a.jpg

The C5 Corvette had a really sweet magnesium wheel option offered throughout the entire production run (barring the initial batch of '97 models and Z06s)...if you were willing to tack on $3,000 to the sticker price. Even though that price dropped over the years (all the way down to $995 for '04) they ended up being a fairly rare option, which is a shame because IMO it's the best looking factory wheel the C5 had. I think it's the off-broze color that really makes them pop.

chevcorvette2_750_500_70.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg
speedling-mag-wheels.jpg

Last edited:
It's a close race with the C6 & C2, and the interior is total trash, but I find the C5 to be the best looking Corvette ever. I agree on the mag wheels too. They remind me of one of my favorite aftermarket wheels, made by OZ. I don't know the particular model name*, but I know they were on some limited production cars in the 90s and 00s, such as the Venturi Atlantique

venturi11.png

*Is there a comprehensive wheel encyclopedia somewhere?

It's a close race with the C6 & C2, and the interior is total trash, but I find the C5 to be the best looking Corvette ever. I agree on the mag wheels too. They remind me of one of my favorite aftermarket wheels, made by OZ. I don't know the particular model name*, but I know they were on some limited production cars in the 90s and 00s, such as the Venturi Atlantique

venturi11.png

*Is there a comprehensive wheel encyclopedia somewhere?
Those should be the Chrono wheels. I think the Esprit V8 had a version and those were on the USA Lancer OZ model.

Certain trims of the Plymouth Arrow had these really smart aluminum wheels on offer.

001.jpg

b_1979%20Plymouth%20Arrow-09.jpg

Near as I can tell, they're unique to the Arrow--not even optioned for the Mitsubishi on which the petite Plymouth was based.

s-l2000.jpg

Very handsome and ungodly rare. The cast aluminum pieces were optional on 1982-4 Ford fullsize trucks (yay, Bullnose) and vans, and people just didn't check the box for them when there were a couple of styled steel wheel options and a couple hubcap choices for standard steel wheels.

Most of those I've seen were on trucks, but I've spotted a couple Broncos with them and even an E-series conversion van.

1982-ford-bronco.jpg

I know, I know. Look, I can't help myself--I ****ing love these things. They're easily the coolest aftermarket "muscle car" wheel.

15" on the left and the slightly less rare (by virtue of pony car owners buying them) 14" on the right. Cast aluminum centers welded into steel hoops.

bc0afd0f9ff05aedda27d38ae214e2db--oil-filter-mercury.jpg

Western did the better "daisy" with its Daytona 200 (top) than American Racing (bottom) did. This is just a fact.

s-l1600.jpg

4873548-10.jpg

When I was in high school (late 80s), there were quite a few guys that had old, American muscle cars (early 70s Novas, Chevelles, Camaros, 60s Mustangs, a couple older trucks, etc.) And every one of them had these wheels. And I will forever love them for old American muscle cars and trucks. They have that quintessential look that just makes the car that much better, imo. And that's why they are one of my favorite wheels.

cragar-61c-s-s-super-sport-chrome_0.jpg

Last edited:
And I just discovered Augment Wheels out of Canada, thanks to Speed Academy on YouTube. They'll custom-make any wheel for you, in forged aluminum or magnesium, two-piece or monoblock. Seems every customer request is to enlarge an OEM wheel design, but I'm all about that. Examples of their work:

Favorite wheels of all time:
The OG Rays Volk racing wheels. They are just so good, that mesh design, multipiece look, to this day i get weak kneed at any gold/black inner with a chrome outer rim look. This includes the BBS Super RS or E88 whatever they are calling them.
volk-racing-1981-advertisement-500x500.jpg

Second favorite:
RS Watanabe, love these wheels.

nengun-7147-01-rswatanabe-8_spoke_r_type_wheels-39978427.jpg

Ohh and last wheel are these possibly no name wheels on the Toyota Celica IMSA car. I've been obsessed with these because they are so simple, but are perfect for this car. Probably the catalyst for my black wheel on white car obsession.
1986-Toyota-Celica-IMSA-GTO-3_Fotor.jpg

8c09e2ad1f0b021852b005fadfad9343.jpg

Latest Posts

Back