When will they allow Tuning for Daily Races?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 151 comments
If you're a good driver adjusting the way you drive to fit how the car handles should be natural
What? I mean maybe that was their intent when disallowing tuning but that's not how it works in reality.

In reality, drivers can tell their engineers to set the car up in a way that allows them to drive it the way they prefer. Unless you're talking about endurance racing but even then, you can bet driving style is a factor when selecting drivers to team up in a particular car.

In any case, the setup is never dictated by the sanctioning body. Not even in spec racing.

Tuning is not always just about making a car faster but to also make a car handle more like YOU PREFER it to handle because of your driving style.
Prime example when the game first launched before the grip updates and when tuning was allowed in some sport races I was driving the Viper.

The Viper had a bad habit of snap spinning without warning out of low speed tight corners unless you turned up the TCS to cover it up.

With tuning and changing spring rates and dampening was able to alter the weight transfer putting more weight on the rear during acceleration allowing the TCS to be turned way down or even off. The other advantage to that change with my driving style with that car it allowed me to use the throttle to help steer the car that I could not do with using a high TCS rate that with my driving style I like to do with some cars.

Did it make me faster, maybe a few tenths at best but made the car a whole lot more enjoyable to drive and is that not the whole point?

The whole point of the game is to teach you how to drive better,running to a tune may not always be the answer,if the viper is snap spinning coming out of low-speed tight corners than there is 2 problems with the way you drive,one being that you're getting onto the accelerator to quickly and 2 that you're probably in to high of a gear.

A lot of times I don't have enough time to tune my car in a open lobby for a specific track before the race starts or my tires wear to a point where my tune isn't so effective,you will need to learn how to adjust the way you drive for instances like that and with what you just mentioned.

Hopefully never. Enjoying every one being on a level playing field tbh
And every time someone says this, I get a chuckle. I often wonder if they have any idea how much stuff that is allowed (and even stuff beyond Polyphony's control) skews the playing field. Or if they understand that setups would actually help to level the playing field as several of us have tried to point out.

You aren't looking for a level playing field- you just want a shallow pick up and play experience. If you truly wanted an objectively level playing field, you'd be playing chess or something, not a video game.

The whole point of the game is to teach you how to drive better
Where did you read that?

What? I mean maybe that was their intent when disallowing tuning but that's not how it works in reality.

In reality, drivers can tell their engineers to set the car up in a way that allows them to drive it the way they prefer. Unless you're talking about endurance racing but even then, you can bet driving style is a factor when selecting drivers to team up in a particular car.

In any case, the setup is never dictated by the sanctioning body. Not even in spec racing.

Ofcourse in reality you have a full team to change the car however you want but if a driver like Michael was thrown into a race with a car he hasn't had tuned for him he would still excel because its not all about the tune it's about the drivers ability to recognize and change the way he drives to eliminate issues he's having with the car.

,if the viper is snap spinning coming out of low-speed tight corners than there is 2 problems with the way you drive,one being that you're getting onto the accelerator to quickly and 2 that you're probably in to high of a gear.

With the snap spin problem when the grip model was lower I was not in to low of a gear but the problem with a tight hairpin corner is that if you tried to use a higher gear for your exit your speed because of the corner was to low and the acceleration out of the corner lagged because then the RPM's would be way below a optimum level.
As far as getting on the accelerator to quickly when you are already applying throttle like you have an egg under it and losing time to other vehicles such as 4wd GTR's being used at that time then the last thing you need is even slower acceleration or needing to rely on using a higher TCS to kill the unannounced snap spins.

Driving was not the problem, base tune was not very good or no where near as good as it could be. Why should I change driving styles or even perhaps the car being driven when the tools for a better suspension tune that better fits my driving style is already in the game. Again I could use the base tune and just turn up the TCS so that is another band aid.

Competitive racing is about optimizing your equipment to get the best performance for you, how many real world racing orgs do not allow suspension tuning at all?

BoP is not uncommon in many forms of motorsport racing but all allow suspension adjustments for driving style, track conditions and personal preferences.

The snap spin issue has been alleviated since the grip update and was just an example. If you prefer playing a game driving like the game prefers because of using car set ups done by some programmer at PD so be it, I prefer to personally make the car fit my driving style better if possible through optimizing the suspension adjustments available within the game.

And every time someone says this, I get a chuckle. I often wonder if they have any idea how much stuff that is allowed (and even stuff beyond Polyphony's control) skews the playing field. Or if they understand that setups would actually help to level the playing field as several of us have tried to point out.

You aren't looking for a level playing field- you just want a shallow pick up and play experience. If you truly wanted an objectively level playing field, you'd be playing chess or something, not a video game.

Where did you read that?
The way the game was marketed was to help you become a better driver,that's why they have a mode specific for teaching you how to race.

Lol, casuals are casuals, you won't be matched with them. If someone is driving better than you I doubt he is a 'casual' if you consider yourself such a great driver. We don't need tunes in sport mode, not everyone wants to keep changing tunes on every other car every single time he has to enter a race for every other track. And if there is a save feature for tunes then they will be uploaded and everyone will use the same tunes. It's much better default. I have never got a 1st place finish yet, best I got was a third. And I don't care, I'm having fun and not making dirty moves to try getting in first.

With the snap spin problem when the grip model was lower I was not in to low of a gear but the problem with a tight hairpin corner is that if you tried to use a higher gear for your exit your speed because of the corner was to low and the acceleration out of the corner lagged because then the RPM's would be way below a optimum level.
As far as getting on the accelerator to quickly when you are already applying throttle like you have an egg under it and losing time to other vehicles such as 4wd GTR's being used at that time then the last thing you need is even slower acceleration or needing to rely on using a higher TCS to kill the unannounced snap spins.

Driving was not the problem, base tune was not very good or no where near as good as it could be. Why should I change driving styles or even perhaps the car being driven when the tools for a better suspension tune that better fits my driving style is already in the game. Again I could use the base tune and just turn up the TCS so that is another band aid.

Competitive racing is about optimizing your equipment to get the best performance for you, how many real world racing orgs do not allow suspension tuning at all?

BoP is not uncommon in many forms of motorsport racing but all allow suspension adjustments for driving style, track conditions and personal preferences.

The snap spin issue has been alleviated since the grip update and was just an example. If you prefer playing a game driving like the game prefers because of using car set ups done by some programmer at PD so be it, I prefer to personally make the car fit my driving style better if possible through optimizing the suspension adjustments available within the game.
That's a question you can ask PD,no one is forcing you to use that car or to race in Sport mode,just like if they had tuning and a person didn't want to turn their car you don't have to run that car if you don't want to. Not every car in this game will be perfectly setup up for every track and just like how when you tune you don't just tune for one track but for all,either you adjust the way you drive or choose the right car for the right track.

DIRTY MOVES Adam - there are quite a few doing that *****...... - sorry to say - but it's too much....... How to counter-act to these "bastrds?" You have max speed approaching a corner - braking down as normal and then one behind you don't slow down for the corner and push you completely off the track - and with no penalties? How can that be?? Curious here......

when you tune you don't just tune for one track but for all,

I can tell you probably do have not a lot of experience with tuning apparently as yes it is not uncommon to use different tunes for different tracks with the same car as each track has its own characteristics you can adjust for.
Seems that people that do not understand suspension tuning or want to spend the time doing so want to dictate it should not be allowed to those that prefer it.
If tuning is allowed there is nothing stopping you from not tuning the cars you drive and to settle driving the tune some programmer at PD stuck on the car. So no one will force you to do any tuning at all!
I prefer not jumping around driving whatever the flavor of the week car the Bop makes it until the next BoP adjustment nerfs that one and makes something different OP.

Balance of performance with real GT4/GT3 is done by working out the power to weight ratios right? If this is the case in RL I am sure it's the same for the game, then the other tuning options should just be for tweaking for the driver and not gaining an unfair advantage?

I usually don't delve to deep into tuning because I typically never have to it really depends on the game,Pcars2 is a game where tuning really comes into play but this game I never felt the need,but like I said there's a separate mode for you to tune and race to your hearts content,but sport mode from what it looks like was meant to be this way,some cars will be better than others that's just something you'll have to live with or just don't play that mode,the same would go for people who hate tuning they'll just have to deal with it.

Just remember having to a tune a car to suit your driving style is the only way to go. Trying to fight the car is the wrong way to go.
Driving it stock, that's fine but you are not going to enjoy the car handling on the track compared to a tuned car.

Last edited:
Hopefully never. Enjoying every one being on a level playing field tbh

Even, Life is not an even playing field. Everyone has their own strengths and weakness that tuning would allow the different cars to become even.

And GT has been from GT1 all about tuning the car and if it is not allowed in Sport for which this game was created, the game will die as the Hard Core GT players that have been with it from the start will not find it enjoyable or even compatible and quit playing.

Personally, I do not have an issue with the BoP being set as in reality several RL Racing entities have such things at times but they still allow suspension tuning.

All this talk about being on a level playing field is nice, but we're not on a level playing field are we. Unless everyone drives the Megane forever, they need to do better with BoP or allow tuning.

Tuning is part of the game and part of racing.

Balance of performance with real GT4/GT3 is done by working out the power to weight ratios right? If this is the case in RL I am sure it's the same for the game, then the other tuning options should just be for tweaking for the driver and not gaining an unfair advantage?
Most orgs will have limits on what can or cannot be adjusted, usually ride heights will be locked along with Aero adjustments. Some orgs and classes restrict gear changes as well to maintain Bop. Even in real world Bop is something that is constantly monitored and adjusted as needed. Things such as spring rates, shocks, anti roll bars, toe in, castor, camber and in some instances weight balance are items usually left up to the teams within the limits of what the class allows.
sport mode from what it looks like was meant to be this way,some cars will be better than others that's just something you'll have to live with or just don't play that mode,the same would go for people who hate tuning they'll just have to deal with it.

I think the biggest problem I have first off I bet if you check those that object to suspension tuning that many of those objecting the loudest are also the drivers that are using the "virtual world" CSA and ASM driving aids and think gaining an in game advantage using those is perfectly fine. You earlier talk about the "whole point of the game is to teach you how to drive better" so allowing fake in game driving aids to be used in sport mode does not fit that message at all.

Also something else that I do not understand that in a game that uses "fastest lap times" as one of the main matchmaking criteria then why would any driver object to whether a tune was used to run an equal lap time to what is common in that race lobby? As I said earlier a 2:00 lap time is the same time whether with or without tuning. What are the non tuners so afraid of?

I have a lot more objection to driving aids where a driver can make mistakes, mess up their line or run in the grass without losing the same pace as a driver not using those aids would incur but that is what currently is happening.

sport mode from what it looks like was meant to be this way,some cars will be better than others that's just something you'll have to live with or just don't play that mode,the same would go for people who hate tuning they'll just have to deal with it.
Oh man, I could write a college essay about how terrible this argument is, but I'll just sum it up in as little words as possible.

The first part of this talks about how some cars are "meant" to be faster than others. How exactly does this detail a competitive field overall? That's like comparing a Mercedes F1 car to a Sauber.

Next, you go on to say live with it or don't play the mode. The people who actually play that mode have every right to make complaints on how everything in Sport Mode is run. Albeit PD has yet to give any sort of reply to any feedback, it should be of massive concern that the major FIA championships still do not offer tuning at least. You're allowed to tune the suspension in most forms of motorsport, so it really doesn't make sense to not implement it.

Lastly, you try to imply it'd be the same sort of whining that would happen from people who don't want to know how to tune. The internet is a glorious thing, and, like I've said earlier, the sub forum for tuning has loads of different tunes for virtually every car, depending on your driving style. If you're too lazy to even so much as take a couple of minutes to set your tunes similar to the ones on the forums, you shouldn't be whining about anything period.

Piggybacking off what @VFOURMAX1 said, I really hope you don't use driving "aids" like ASM, Active stability, or auto-drive, otherwise replying to you is nothing but a waste of time.

Only one did and that was the old IROC Racing Series and it's long gone. Even though each of those cars were setup identical that setup changed from track to track. That was a long time ago and you can see it didn't last.
Today every single motorsport class allows some amount of tuning.

Most orgs will have limits on what can or cannot be adjusted, usually ride heights will be locked along with Aero adjustments. Some orgs and classes restrict gear changes as well to maintain Bop. Even in real world Bop is something that is constantly monitored and adjusted as needed. Things such as spring rates, shocks, anti roll bars, toe in, castor, camber and in some instances weight balance are items usually left up to the teams within the limits of what the class allows.

I think the biggest problem I have first off I bet if you check those that object to suspension tuning that many of those objecting the loudest are also the drivers that are using the "virtual world" CSA and ASM driving aids and think gaining an in game advantage using those is perfectly fine. You earlier talk about the "whole point of the game is to teach you how to drive better" so allowing fake in game driving aids to be used in sport mode does not fit that message at all.

Also something else that I do not understand that in a game that uses "fastest lap times" as one of the main matchmaking criteria then why would any driver object to whether a tune was used to run an equal lap time to what is common in that race lobby? As I said earlier a 2:00 lap time is the same time whether with or without tuning. What are the non tuners so afraid of?

I have a lot more objection to driving aids where a driver can make mistakes, mess up their line or run in the grass without losing the same pace as a driver not using those aids would incur but that is what currently is happening.
I use a wheel with no aids so I can't speak for those people,but not having a tunable cars ensures that everyone HAS the ability to play on a level playing field,if the OP car for this week is the Beatle than you have every opportunity like the rest of the world to use that car, and even though it is their intention to teach us to drive better it is not a mandatory requirement to do the driving missions and the other classes.

I rather like the one make races, seems more about who can handle or tame the car. Silly me thought people could already do a little tuning for the other dailies, and was part of why I wasn't racing in them very often. Other is that BoP is kind of messed up. You like your Mustang but I can beat you with a BoP VW, that's not fun to me, I'd rather race you, not the car. So lets say you can tune in sport race, but person in front and behind you didn't, then I really hope you can find a tune that makes it a lot easier to avoid them. You tune your Mustang, I tune my VW, we hope to pull away from each other at some point but don't, seems fair to me. Even as SR=S, I really do get tired of the few people that cause a wreck-fest by over bracking and playing like it's Mario Kart. The only two good races I had today, were the two where I didn't get hit. Give me a tune to make dodging easier and I'm in.

Only one did and that was the old IROC Racing Series and it's long gone. Even though each of those cars were setup identical that setup changed from track to track. That was a long time ago and you can see it didn't last.
Today every single motorsport class allows some amount of tuning.
That was actually more of a promotional deal than a racing org where top drivers were invited to drive from different disciplines of motorsports and raced in identical cars set up by the series organizers and the cars given out by the luck of the draw. They also raced on different styles of tracks and it was a fun series to watch.

That was actually more of a promotional deal than a racing org where top drivers were invited to drive from different disciplines of motorsports and raced in identical cars set up by the series organizers and the cars given out by the luck of the draw. They also raced on different styles of tracks and it was a fun series to watch.

another point.. and I agree it was fun to watch... the drivers did not race the same car that they used to qualify.

another point.. and I agree it was fun to watch... the drivers did not race the same car that they used to qualify.

I agree it was a fun race to watch. I wish something like it would come back just because it was different.

Sport races are a MASSIVE part of GT Sport.
Tuning cars (there are 8 different tune slots for each car I think) is a MASSIVE part of GT Sport (and all the 20 years worth of previous games).\
1+1=2
1+0 =1
2 is bigger and therefore better than 1
ergo....tuning MUST exist in Sport. Otherwise it is not sport at all it is a roulette wheel.

Oh man, I could write a college essay about how terrible this argument is, but I'll just sum it up in as little words as possible.

The first part of this talks about how some cars are "meant" to be faster than others. How exactly does this detail a competitive field overall? That's like comparing a Mercedes F1 car to a Sauber.

Next, you go on to say live with it or don't play the mode. The people who actually play that mode have every right to make complaints on how everything in Sport Mode is run. Albeit PD has yet to give any sort of reply to any feedback, it should be of massive concern that the major FIA championships still do not offer tuning at least. You're allowed to tune the suspension in most forms of motorsport, so it really doesn't make sense to not implement it.

Lastly, you try to imply it'd be the same sort of whining that would happen from people who don't want to know how to tune. The internet is a glorious thing, and, like I've said earlier, the sub forum for tuning has loads of different tunes for virtually every car, depending on your driving style. If you're too lazy to even so much as take a couple of minutes to set your tunes similar to the ones on the forums, you shouldn't be whining about anything period.

Piggybacking off what @VFOURMAX1 said, I really hope you don't use driving "aids" like ASM, Active stability, or auto-drive, otherwise replying to you is nothing but a waste of time.
By meant to be " faster" I was talking about how some cars are faster in the straights than others and some are faster in the corners than others,its up to you to decide what vehicle fits the specific track,I have nothing against tuning I never said I did I also don't use driver aids but once you introduce tuning a unbalance will arise which would be much larger then what we see now,Sport mode is for everyone,for the veterans and for noobs,there's a reason why racing games aren't as popular outside of GT because people don't want to buy a game and now learn how to tune,its not something that you can read about in10 minutes and say "wow I know everything I need to know about tuning" its a process of trail and error and a lot of people don't want to go through that,they want to jump in a lobby a race and not feel like because someone can tune they have this huge advantage,and while yes you have every right to complain PD also has every right to ignore your complaints,you're acting as if PD didn't put any thought into how they made their game.

but not having a tunable cars ensures that everyone HAS the ability to play on a level playing field,if the OP car for this week is the Beatle than you have every opportunity like the rest of the world to use that car,

So in your world everyone has the ability to play on a level field as long as they jump on the over powered Bop bandwagon and drive the same car as all the other bandwagon hero's!
Drivers and racers that have more of an interest in a realistic balance or racing experience in my opinion would much rather try to make the car they prefer to drive perform the best they can and feel an accomplishment as they can see there work pay off in improved lap times and consistency rather than ride the games bandwagon. I guess that is the difference in someone that wants to get the most possible out of their racing experience and those that are content just being bandwagon jumpers.

So in your world everyone has the ability to play on a level field as long as they jump on the over powered Bop bandwagon and drive the same car as all the other bandwagon hero's!
Drivers and racers that have more of an interest in a realistic balance or racing experience in my opinion would much rather try to make the car they prefer to drive perform the best they can and feel an accomplishment as they can see there work pay off in improved lap times and consistency rather than ride the games bandwagon. I guess that is the difference in someone that wants to get the most possible out of their racing experience and those that are content just being bandwagon jumpers.
I want to get the most out of my Corvette, and my driving style requires a loose turning car, which is possible with a tune for the Vette. Unfortunately, that pace I'm good with can't be accomplished when I'm stuck with an unstable, high-geared tune that will never go to the top of 6th unless I'm at the long Tokyo track in a draft.

but once you introduce tuning a unbalance will arise which would be much larger then what we see now
Between drivers who take the time to learn how to setup a car and those that don't, sure. But with time-based qualifying, I don't see how that's a problem. We will see more variety between cars on the grid and everyone will still have someone at their pace to race against.

I agree with the OP. How will you become a better driver if you can't tune your car? That's the player fault if they don't know how to tune straight off the back. That's how you become faster by trail and error.

Back