When will they allow Tuning for Daily Races?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 151 comments
you are rather naive. If you had read the original postings before release of the game about it's intent and the reason it was called "sport" vs "GT#", you would not of posted such absurdity.

Granted, there was a little "backlash" regarding the fact it was full online and PD has back peddled a little on that. From where I sat, I and those around me did not have an issue as they understood the direction PD was going with this version. And in fact tuning was allow before and now we are stuck with "one make" races regardless of the title of the game.

It's called Sport because they don't have Gran Turismo 7 yet, lol. And nothing you said changes anything. They took tuning off because it will make Sport mode boring and unbalanced. It's called Sport mode because of the ratings and competitive nature, not because it's supposed to require tuning.
Well, yep.
It would seem the developers do indeed disagree.

Sport mode, when the game first released and we could tune our cars, was anything but boring.

And please don't confuse the fact that people who wish the opportunity to tune their cars are being elitist.
Many people, of varied skill sets, would like this option.

And at the end of the day, it is nothing more than that.
An option.

Who knows, perhaps you might enjoy the challenge.

I can tune if I'm forced to but I'd prefer it not be that way. Like I said before, it will become like other titles on console which it is not aiming to be. Most people will just quit. That was my experience on Asseto Corsa, start with 14-16 players in first lap. Due to tuning everyone is spread so far out, by fourth or fifth lap everyone but 2 or 3 people quit. Then lobby became empty. Now it's all drifting lobbies.

I can tune if I'm forced to but I'd prefer it not be that way. Like I said before, it will become like other titles on console which it is not aiming to be. Most people will just quit. That was my experience on Asseto Corsa, start with 14-16 players in first lap. Due to tuning everyone is spread so far out, by fourth or fifth lap everyone but 2 or 3 people quit. Then lobby became empty. Now it's all drifting lobbies.

well then.. you do not have to play the tuned rooms.. just like I do not have to play the "one car" rooms.. and if tuning is not allowed, people we soon be leaving this game due to boredom like all online games.

Why should we be forced to play your game the way you want to play? I have not said it should be taken out. Simply said it should be added to the list so those that want to enjoy the full game would be able to. Because you choose not to utilize the full game mechanics, does not mean everyone else should not as well.

It's called Sport because they don't have Gran Turismo 7 yet, lol. And nothing you said changes anything. They took tuning off because it will make Sport mode boring and unbalanced. It's called Sport mode because of the ratings and competitive nature, not because it's supposed to require tuning.

Sorry mate, but once again you seem to be viewing this as a take all or leave it scenario.

Can we not have one event that opens tuning?
I'm not by any means suggesting that every single Sport mode event from this time forward allows tuning.

What on earth is wrong with that?

well then.. you do not have to play the tuned rooms.. just like I do not have to play the "one car" rooms.. and if tuning is not allowed, people we soon be leaving this game due to boredom like all online games.

Why should we be forced to play your game the way you want to play? I have not said it should be taken out. Simply said it should be added to the list so those that want to enjoy the full game would be able to. Because you choose not to utilize the full game mechanics, does not mean everyone else should not as well.

Tuning is already not allowed, lol. And I'm not going nowhere, Sport mode caters to my liking. I don't play nothing but Gr. 4 and Gr.3, and if they duplicate two events one with tuning one without, sure. If there is only one event, then it should be competitive racing with no tuning assists. That tuning based elitist mentality where people talk down those who use abs can be found on PC with AC and Iracing. Hell, I would build a PC if I played more games than those two to justify the price. For that hardcore racing experience. Gt Sport does a great job at making it competitive without going too far and singling out their fan base.

Sorry mate, but once again you seem to be viewing this as a take all or leave it scenario.

Can we not have one event that opens tuning?
I'm not by any means suggesting that every single Sport mode event from this time forward allows tuning.

What on earth is wrong with that?

See above.

Why will they allow tuning for online races?

Online should be a level field so no Tuning is absolutely fine.

Not everyone has the time to dig in,have knowledge and tune and test so no Tuning is great.

Don't get this tuning in online race at all.

GT League is coming. Tune there.

Also why you created a thread is beyond me.

I'm really sick of all these arguments....over and over again.

First off, there wont be a levelled playing field ever! The balance always favours one car over the other...
Second, if you say you don't have the time to tune, you surely don't take time to practice on a track too, right!? This is pretty much why we have the crash sport races with Beetles and Meganes only. Just pick the fastest car and ram everything in sight. Breaking points? Who cares with the beetle train...

Tuning wont hurt the people who don't want to tune, period! If you're too lazy to setup your car, its Ok, noone forces you. But the fixed setups hurt everyone else. Everyone that wants to setup their favourite car. Some are just undrivable with the fixed settings...

I could go on forever, but I'll end it here. I just hope PD finally realizes that tuning is a HUGE part of GT

I'm saying what happens to the people who don't qualify,qualifying is not mandatory in Sport mode before entering a lobby,so what does it go off of? Previous qualifying times from when you did a race before?

Sport mode seems to sort a lobby based on SR and DR, then once in the lobby qualifying times are used to sort the grid.

Tuning is already not allowed, lol. And I'm not going nowhere, Sport mode caters to my liking. I don't play nothing but Gr. 4 and Gr.3, and if they duplicate two events one with tuning one without, sure. If there is only one event, then it should be competitive racing with no tuning assists. That tuning based elitist mentality where people talk down those who use abs can be found on PC with AC and Iracing. Hell, I would build a PC if I played more games than those two to justify the price. For that hardcore racing experience. Gt Sport does a great job at making it competitive without going too far and singling out their fan base.

See above.

You are allowed to adjust brake balance and TCS / ABS levels so some limited tuning is allowed, does than need to be locked now as well? ;) :P The no assists "elitist" mentality exists in sim racing, yes, but it really has nothing to do with the ability to adjust car settings.

There are 3 events, why do they all need to be locked? Why can't the game offer a choice, if you don't like to race with setup then you can choose not to race in it, you will have a choice to race one of the other two events however, I really don't understand why it should be an all or nothing situation!

Note: they still need to enforce the BoP in Group classes.

Their narrative is pretty much "I can't do it, so it's unfair other people can"
If they do bring it in, I hope it comes with tutorials and guides on how to actually set a car up.

Setting up a car is something I’m horrible at but would like to learn. I don’t see why games, GT especially hasn’t catered to this presumably large share of their audience.

IMO there should be weekly cups, one for tuned cars and one for stock.

If they do bring it in, I hope it comes with tutorials and guides on how to actually set a car up.

Setting up a car is something I’m horrible at but would like to learn. I don’t see why games, GT especially hasn’t catered to this presumably large share of their audience.

IMO there should be weekly cups, one for tuned cars and one for stock.

you know.. if you select an item, it gives details about what it does and how it affects the car in the right window.

And a lot of it, is just simple trial and error until you get what you want. You can read the forums for basic starting places and most of them at least that I have read, even give reasons to why they did what they did. You then adjust what you think could help and see what happens to fit your nature.

If you dont understand, spend some time and either google or ask in the forums.

I agree with the difficulty of learning to tune.
It isn't an easy thing to get your head around.

But it shouldn't be a factor in introducing the option to do so.
You can tune in open lobbies with BoP applied, so why the resistance in Sport mode?

The descriptions in GT Sport, while perhaps accurate, don't help all that much, but at least give a basic description of the end result.
So experimenting is what you are left with.
Perhaps a Crew Chief like PC2 could help.
But ultimately, and l realise you still need to know what you are looking for, but a data logger type app is needed.

Trying to tune camber without tyre temps. is a guessing game.
So l pray we get something to provide more data soon.

I'm decent driver on lobbies (you can meet me especially at Nordschleife gr.3 rooms) but I'm not playing sport mode because of tuning and field full of Porsche which make me sick every fkin' time (when tuning is allowed this is not that good car at all)
if tuning would be allowed then I could ride with my Mustang or Toyota and be competitive, now I can't
and I'm not a master of tuning but it annoys me that I am forced to drive a car that does not run as I wishes (even if it is OPrsche, which is not fantastic in stock but still the best in field without tunes)
tl;dr:
I would prefer to lose with the masters of tuning, but in MY prefered car whos run the way I want rather than win with shi.tty stock Porsche vs other Porsches

Last edited:
I agree with the difficulty of learning to tune.
It isn't an easy thing to get your head around.

But it shouldn't be a factor in introducing the option to do so.
You can tune in open lobbies with BoP applied, so why the resistance in Sport mode?

The descriptions in GT Sport, while perhaps accurate, don't help all that much, but at least give a basic description of the end result.
So experimenting is what you are left with.
Perhaps a Crew Chief like PC2 could help.
But ultimately, and l realise you still need to know what you are looking for, but a data logger type app is needed.

Trying to tune camber without tyre temps. is a guessing game.
So l pray we get something to provide more data soon.
I agree, I'd also personally like Sport mode to have zero assists forced.

Yeh, the assists debate is an interesting one.

I'm not ashamed to admit that without ABS I'ld be in a world of pain.
Could l learn to drive without it?
Who knows, but it would be a long, slow process.

So the question is where do we draw the line calling things "assists"?
At the end of the day l guess that means all.
It's not a problem, if I'm not good enough I'm not good enough, and l need to practice more.
But full blown "no assists" is really reaching the pinnacle of driving so my guess is there wouldn't be too many takers.

Last edited:
Yeh, the assists debate is an interesting one.

I'm not ashamed to admit that without ABS I'ld be in a world of pain.
Could l learn to drive without it?
Who knows, but it would be a long, slow process.

So the question is where do we draw the line calling things "assists"?
At the end of the day l guess that means all.
It's not a problem l guess, if I'm not good enough I'm not good enough, and l need to practice more.
But full blown "no assists" is really reaching the pinnacle of driving so my guess there wouldn't be too many takers.

I also use ABS and would struggle without it, but being forced to deal with it would change how I drive and approach corners as well as overtaking. If people who dive bombed did so by locking all wheels and just sliding off into walls, or the guys who mount kerbs in order to bash you off the line suddenly lost the rear end of their cars and spun out... at the very least it would prevent SR-S races being such a mess :lol:

I also use ABS and would struggle without it, but being forced to deal with it would change how I drive and approach corners as well as overtaking. If people who dive bombed did so by locking all wheels and just sliding off into walls, or the guys who mount kerbs in order to bash you off the line suddenly lost the rear end of their cars and spun out... at the very least it would prevent SR-S races being such a mess :lol:
:)
Let the mayhem commence.

I get the concept, and if l was more inclined l would/should probably pursue it.
But l think the participation rate, or lack there of, would quickly kill these events.

Assists, to a point, help create an even starting point given the variety of input methods the game has. Forcing zero assists is just making life unnecessarily harder for those that don't have wheel set-ups, and damned near impossible for those (for instance) that still use X/Square. I'm on the fence in terms of wheel vs. controller, but I'd bet more people would lose more time when using a controller with no assists, than using a wheel with no assists.

I agree there should be limits to how prevalent they are, but zero is being absolute just for the sake of it - and it's also not reflective of real life - some race cars have, and do, race with traction control systems and anti-lock braking systems.

Assists, to a point, help create an even starting point given the variety of input methods the game has. Forcing zero assists is just making life unnecessarily harder for those that don't have wheel set-ups, and damned near impossible for those (for instance) that still use X/Square. I'm on the fence in terms of wheel vs. controller, but I'd bet more people would lose more time when using a controller with no assists, than using a wheel with no assists.

I agree there should be limits to how prevalent they are, but zero is being absolute just for the sake of it - and it's also not reflective of real life - some race cars have, and do, race with traction control systems and anti-lock braking systems.
I use a controller and I struggle with not locking up, hence why I use ABS. I agree that it would be harder and that people with proper wheel setups would benefit.
But Sport mode doesn't really reflect actual racing all that much.

But we are going off on a bit of a tangent now :lol:

I just make the point that I see so many videos of people running deep and mounting kerbs and then just stamping on the throttle. Or people smashing into other drivers and having the stability assist make sure they are a-ok

I'm decent driver on lobbies (you can meet me especially at Nordschleife gr.3 rooms) but I'm not playing sport mode because of tuning and field full of Porsche which make me sick every fkin' time (when tuning is allowed this is not that good car at all)
if tuning would be allowed then I could ride with my Mustang or Toyota and be competitive, now I can't
and I'm not a master of tuning but it annoys me that I am forced to drive a car that does not run as I wishes (even if it is OPrsche, which is not fantastic in stock but still the best in field without tunes)
tl;dr:
I would prefer to lose with the masters of tuning, but in MY prefered car whos run the way I want rather than win with shi.tty stock Porsche vs other Porsches

No you couldn't.

If they allowed tuning the Porsche would improve by an equal margin and you'd still be slow... and other cars can easily complete with the RSR... the RCZ and Z3 being just 2 examples.

ps; no need for the swear filter avoidance ;)

If they allowed tuning the Porsche would improve by an equal margin
I discussed this earlier in the thread but it depends on why those other cars are deficient compared to the Porsche. If a car is simply slower, it should be easy to balance. Usually though, it's because one car put its power down in a controllable manner. That is something that can often be fixed through suspension setup. Making those same changes to the car that already powers out of corners well won't help it.

I discussed this earlier in the thread but it depends on why those other cars are deficient compared to the Porsche. If a car is simply slower, it should be easy to balance. Usually though, it's because one car put its power down in a controllable manner. That is something that can often be fixed through suspension setup. Making those same changes to the car that already powers out of corners well won't help it.

I don't know how skilled a driver you are, but traction is rarely the lap time limiter if you're at the faster end of the field - all cars (including the RSR) would benefit from lower LSD accel settings, but this wouldn't really make them any faster, just a bit easier to drive.

What would reduce lap times is being able to remove the +ve rear toe and high LSD decel that all cars have stock... building in a load more entry and mid corner rotation.

Unfortunately, this would disproportionately benefit the higher skilled drivers much more than the lower skilled, further increasing the gap between fast and slow(er).

I don't know how skilled a driver you are, but traction is rarely the lap time limiter if you're at the faster end of the field - all cars (including the RSR) would benefit from lower LSD accel settings, but this wouldn't really make them any faster, just a bit easier to drive.

What would reduce lap times is being able to remove the +ve rear toe and high LSD decel that all cars have stock... building in a load more entry and mid corner rotation.

Unfortunately, this would disproportionately benefit the higher skilled drivers much more than the lower skilled, further increasing the gap between fast and slow(er).

I don't really see how benefiting higher skill drivers can be seen as a bad thing, The numerous aids in-game are mostly there to make it easy for pad users, If slower players have a bigger gap between them and the faster drivers then they need to do what the faster drivers do and practice more. Aka Getting Good.

If you just want to run some races casually after work, why does that matter? You won't be competing against those people anyway, with or without tuning.
Because i do like to win from time to time.....

And about search a tune in a forum. I can do that but not every gamer does that know that or want that.

Like i said i get the point but just keep it seperated. 3 dailys as they are now and 3 with setups etc then there is no problem.

About “alien” tunes, i dont have to explain that 1 sec a lap faster is a done race for the one whitout that tune.

Also i dont get that all or nothing plan, i suggest to please bothand i get 3 quotes saying in short that i am wrong and thats it ;)

You maybe didnt know but not everybody is racing sweaty and just want to have fun. I know 1 friend that will stop playing when this will happen. Notme but he snd manny others.

Poly needs find a way to please all of us and they will. Be patience or for now create and organize sweaty races with setup trough this forum i dont see the problem.....

Last edited:
but traction is rarely the lap time limiter
You're getting sidetracked by semantics. Let's just go with the example I used previously- some cars can drive over the apex curbing with no trouble while others cannot. That can be somewhat mitigated with setup.

Why is that unfortunate? Isn't that how it should be?

Because i do like to win from time to time.....
Earn it.

I like to win too. It feels good. I haven't won a race since I reached DR.B three weeks ago though and I understand that- only the best win at this level. I'm not there yet.

3 dailys as they are now and 3 with setups etc then there is no problem.
There is no need to separate the fields. You will still be positioned near people with similar qualifying times. That's the point I keep trying to make. I think it's a bigger imbalance getting matched with people using ASM and CSA, to be honest.

If you start breaking up the races for various combinations of settings, the grids will start to dwindle.

The problem is that people can create alian tunes that i cant make because my tuning skills are bad. So the people who spent ours and ours because they have that time will win from the people who just want to race some races after work and dont have time after a work day of 12 hours 2 kids a wife and a cat to tune there car first.

Go to custom lobbys or maybe poly can make races beside the normal races where you can tune but not normal races gone and only tuning races.

The arguments about how unfair tuning would make races in sport mode are all basically not accurate or just plain false due to the way races are supposed to be matched in sport mode.

With the matchmaking first using SR, then secondly using DR to separate racers and then using lap times to set the final matches from the available online pool of racers then even if "alien tunes" actually existed and turned a driver from turning a 2:03.00 lap time into a driver now turning a 1:59.00 lap time because of this tune with the same car differences just being tunes then the law of averages says that you may have raced against this driver turning the 2:03.00 lap time because you turned a 2:03.50 but now that he is turning a 1:59.00 he is placed in a different lobby with faster racers.

Actually the tune, what car he is driving within class, whether he has a custom livery with gold plated wheels does not matter either, none of it has absolutely anything to do with which lobby he is in but his rankings and "speed" or lap time out of the currently available pool of entrants are the only factors that determine who you are matched against.

Locking tuning will just unnecessarily shorten the life span of the game for many players due to boredom and repetition of the same old thing by denying a big part of a racing games challenges.

The limited choices in the daily races, the BoP unbalance in certain classes and the lack of tuning which gives no reason to spend time developing settings that cannot be used have already started to effect the amount of time I am spending playing the game.

Eventually allowing tuning may not matter as the racing pool could possibly be void and empty of racers!

Last edited:
From what people are saying the beta had the option so clearly their must have been some sort of issue or reason behind removing it.

From what people are saying the beta had the option so clearly their must have been some sort of issue or reason behind removing it.
IIRC, they removed it with the same update that changed the race rotation to daily instead of weekly.

IIRC, they removed it with the same update that changed the race rotation to daily instead of weekly.

The worst change they made so far!
Pd should've added one daily race (without tuning) for people who want more variety during the week. With the limited amount of tracks and cars, 2 weekly events were perfectly fine.
I really miss them....and tuning. :(

Back