When will they allow Tuning for Daily Races?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 151 comments
The arguments about how unfair tuning would make races in sport mode are all basically not accurate or just plain false due to the way races are supposed to be matched in sport mode.

With the matchmaking first using SR, then secondly using DR to separate racers and then using lap times to set the final matches from the available online pool of racers then even if "alien tunes" actually existed and turned a driver from turning a 2:03.00 lap time into a driver now turning a 1:59.00 lap time because of this tune with the same car differences just being tunes then the law of averages says that you may have raced against this driver turning the 2:03.00 lap time because you turned a 2:03.50 but now that he is turning a 1:59.00 he is placed in a different lobby with faster racers.

Actually the tune, what car he is driving within class, whether he has a custom livery with gold plated wheels does not matter either, none of it has absolutely anything to do with which lobby he is in but his rankings and "speed" or lap time out of the currently available pool of entrants are the only factors that determine who you are matched against.

Locking tuning will just unnecessarily shorten the life span of the game for many players due to boredom and repetition of the same old thing by denying a big part of a racing games challenges.

The limited choices in the daily races, the BoP unbalance in certain classes and the lack of tuning which gives no reason to spend time developing settings that cannot be used have already started to effect the amount of time I am spending playing the game.

Eventually allowing tuning may not matter as the racing pool could possibly be void and empty of racers!

Weren't you complaining earlier about Sport mode matching lower ranked drivers with much higher ranked ones?

Because i do like to win from time to time.....

And about search a tune in a forum. I can do that but not every gamer does that know that or want that.

Like i said i get the point but just keep it seperated. 3 dailys as they are now and 3 with setups etc then there is no problem.

About “alien” tunes, i dont have to explain that 1 sec a lap faster is a done race for the one whitout that tune.

Also i dont get that all or nothing plan, i suggest to please bothand i get 3 quotes saying in short that i am wrong and thats it ;)

You maybe didnt know but not everybody is racing sweaty and just want to have fun. I know 1 friend that will stop playing when this will happen. Notme but he snd manny others.

Poly needs find a way to please all of us and they will. Be patience or for now create and organize sweaty races with setup trough this forum i dont see the problem.....

Don't argue with these people, they want to come off as more 'hardcore' than others or better drivers than others, they aren't. They need tune to offset their driving deficiencies. The A drivers can do better than everyone else with any car in Gr.3 without tune. As you said if there are two Gr.3 daily races, same course one with tuning and one without, that would be fine. Of course they could make their own lobbies online and arrange all that. PD should just balance Gr.4, and Gr.3 is pretty balanced. 911 is good but there are other cars just as good.

I give up you guys dont want to understand, iam not against it i get your point but also get the point that people dont want that. I dont give a * wat happends i will addept but guys like us/ u are not all the players just a small group......

Also some u guys take this game waaaaaaaay to serious its a GAME not real life...... i think there are more realistic race games for u guys out there......

About the earn it part, i win enough races so no problem there.

Last post here u guys are way on edge. Good luck.

Weren't you complaining earlier about Sport mode matching lower ranked drivers with much higher ranked ones?
And since the last update where they changed the ranking criteria I am seeing that issue to be much less common than previous to the update. All online racing actually reverts back to a good matchmaking system if it is going to be close competitive racing it has to be matched with drivers running similar or very close to the same lap times.

The SR and DR rankings get drivers together in the same ballpark, the lap times determine the league they should be placed in compared to the others online wanting to race at the same time. The earlier criteria for the rankings did not have the drivers numbers balanced well enough across the pool of available racers, the new system seems to be more balanced allowing better lobbies.

I do not see what this has to do with whether a car has a tune or not affects what lobby a certain lap time, DR and SR ranking WOULD AFFECT IN THE LOBBY IT WAS PLACED.

From what people are saying the beta had the option so clearly their must have been some sort of issue or reason behind removing it.

Because people will look to abuse the crap out of it. i.e ride height bugs, camber bugs and tranny flips (although how you find these unless you are looking for them is beyond me).

I'd be interested to see population stats of lobbies with and without tuning if PD introduced the choice. People are losing sight of the fact this is a simcade racer for the masses. You want a "sim", there are 2 or 3 out there already to play with full tuning, tyre temps, track temps the lot, and yet here we are discussing turning GTS into mimicking those titles.

Don't argue with these people, they want to come off as more 'hardcore' than others or better drivers than others, they aren't. They need tune to offset their driving deficiencies.

This part clearly shows that YOU haven't understood anything people said in here.
You simply won't get it and the only impression you leave me with is this: :banghead:

It's like arguing with a feminist :scared:

Their narrative is pretty much "I can't do it, so it's unfair other people can"

Nope. I can tune very well. I don't need a tune to be fast and completely understand why, at this time PD have removed it from sport. Great drivers can drive bad cars. Bad drivers can't.

Why are you not playing AC, IR or PC2 if that is what you are after?

Shouldn't have to play those for something as basic as doing a setup.

Why don't you play them though if that's what you are after?

Bare in mind, I can tune very well and I don't need it to enjoy GTS. I like GTS because it's trying to be different. Don't try to turn it into another sim, which you end up not playing.

No you couldn't.

If they allowed tuning the Porsche would improve by an equal margin and you'd still be slow...
what tf are u talking about?
u ever competed on lobbies with tuning?
I smash all that Porsche and other trash cars with my Mustang

Why are you not playing AC, IR or PC2 if that is what you are after
Funny you mention that- I went back to my PC this weekend and booted up PC2 again. I definitely prefer the handling in that game to GTS. There is so much more detail to it. Trouble is, the replay audio in that game is lacking (no Doppler shift) and photo mode is a joke.

If we're honest, those are the only reasons I'm still playing Sport so sure, maybe it's for the best it stays the way it is. I'm not sure I really care anymore. Maybe setups really are kind of a joke considering how watered down the handling is now anyway.

what tf are u talking about?
u ever competed on lobbies with tuning?
I smash all that Porsche and other trash cars with my Mustang

Maybe the people in the Porsche didn't tune, or were bad at it. The better cars would improve improve further with a good tune.

In GT5 I was part of a racing league doing a 550pp FR series. Tuning allowed. Nobody used anything other than the RX7 Aspara Drink. You could tune any other car to your hearts content, but the RX7 would win out because a good tune on a good car with a good driver trumped everything else. Tuning didn't change the outcome. In GT6 I raced road cars and the LFA and M3 dominated along with the Audi R8 on some tighter tracks... With tuning allowed.

I will play GTS however PD decide we should play it. If tuning comes in, I will use it. If they decide to keep it locked for sport mode, I will continue to play.

I do hope they manage to balance the cars to balance the performance so we see less one make grids. I want to use anything and feel competitive in terms of laptime to other cars while keeping the unique feel of each cars characteristics, but I don't feel tuning will solve any issues.

Tuning is already allowed in lobbies and should remain there, people who complain about "casuals" make me laugh, this is a video game, what the hell else should people be?

Funny you mention that- I went back to my PC this weekend and booted up PC2 again. I definitely prefer the handling in that game to GTS. There is so much more detail to it. Trouble is, the replay audio in that game is lacking (no Doppler shift) and photo mode is a joke.

If we're honest, those are the only reasons I'm still playing Sport so sure, maybe it's for the best it stays the way it is. I'm not sure I really care anymore. Maybe setups really are kind of a joke considering how watered down the handling is now anyway.

I played Pcars and AC. I enjoyed both for sound and realism. I didn't enjoy the online in either, or the dynamic weather. When it rained mid race, half the lobby would quit.

AS much as I thought I wanted a more "real" feeling driving game, when I got it, I found I didn't enjoy them as much as GT5 or 6. Yes the GT series are watered down, but nothing else feels as close to real, without being over indulgent. Easy to pic up but feels sim like.

I feel GT sits somewhere that no other game does and it needs to stick to whatever values it feels are right. It doesn't need to chase the likes of IR, AC or PC. They are what they are. I don't want GTS to turn into those games.

I hope that babble made sense lol.

Nope. I can tune very well. I don't need a tune to be fast and completely understand why,
If you can "tune very well" then you fully understand that in many cases adjusting suspension settings is more about eliminating certain handling traits that a not so good base tune may allow to surface not to always go faster.

If ride heights, Aero and top speed settings remained locked which I have no problem with at all then most actual "speed" gains would not then be possible.
Then the only performance to be gained would be through adjustments where the base tune caused a handling problem or was not possibly optimum for a particular driving style. I still do not understand why all the opposition or objection to an option which already exist within the game that any gains should be compensated for in the matching lobby that assigns what race and what opponents you will be racing against.

If you do not want to tune that is fine and should not affect you by those that do if the matchmaking is working as designed.

Why don't you play them though if that's what you are after?

Bare in mind, I can tune very well and I don't need it to enjoy GTS. I like GTS because it's trying to be different. Don't try to turn it into another sim, which you end up not playing.

Using your logic, why don't you go play Mario Kart if you want a dumbed down racing game?

I/we shouldn't have to play an entire different racer to do something that has been prevalent in both simcade and hardcore sims for a long time. There's nothing really "hardcore sim" about doing a setup at all and it's laughable (and kind of sad) that people seem to think of it that way.

This is supposed to be the competitive mode for GT after all. It's especially frustrating to see such nonsense posted in this thread (like it being unfair) considering how easy it is to find a setup for whatever car you're into. It's not hard to do a quick search on gtplanet or youtube with your phone while playing and copy those setups into the game. But, apparently even that is too difficult for these snowflake gamers.

Last edited:
I played Pcars and AC. I enjoyed both for sound and realism. I didn't enjoy the online in either, or the dynamic weather. When it rained mid race, half the lobby would quit.

AS much as I thought I wanted a more "real" feeling driving game, when I got it, I found I didn't enjoy them as much as GT5 or 6. Yes the GT series are watered down, but nothing else feels as close to real, without being over indulgent. Easy to pic up but feels sim like.

I feel GT sits somewhere that no other game does and it needs to stick to whatever values it feels are right. It doesn't need to chase the likes of IR, AC or PC. They are what they are. I don't want GTS to turn into those games.

I hope that babble made sense lol.
I'm against tuning but I think gear ratios should be unlocked at some point in the future.

If you can "tune very well" then you fully understand that in many cases adjusting suspension settings is more about eliminating certain handling traits that a not so good base tune may allow to surface not to always go faster.

If ride heights, Aero and top speed settings remained locked which I have no problem with at all then most actual "speed" gains would not then be possible.
Then the only performance to be gained would be through adjustments where the base tune caused a handling problem or was not possibly optimum for a particular driving style. I still do not understand why all the opposition or objection to an option which already exist within the game that any gains should be compensated for in the matching lobby that assigns what race and what opponents you will be racing against.

If you do not want to tune that is fine and should not affect you by those that do if the matchmaking is working as designed.

If we're cherry picking what tunes should be unlocked I would say, for simplicity sake that all the tuning you need is the diff. That alone can negate a lot of handling problems and there are only 3 things to learn about it.

I can play with or without tunes and enjoy it. I see why PD have left it out of sport. Maybe the FIA races should and use the free practice feature to dial a car in, but for me, the best option would be to balance the cars via BOP properly so all cars in class are on pace, then the problem is fixed IMO.

If we're cherry picking what tunes should be unlocked I would say, for simplicity sake that all the tuning you need is the diff. That alone can negate a lot of handling problems and there are only 3 things to learn about it.

I can play with or without tunes and enjoy it. I see why PD have left it out of sport. Maybe the FIA races should and use the free practice feature to dial a car in, but for me, the best option would be to balance the cars via BOP properly so all cars in class are on pace, then the problem is fixed IMO.
My reason for picking out the items I did was solely for the issue of not changing the BoP ratings and maybe making a car faster through actual overall MPH gains giving non tuner supporters something else to whine about.

I do hope they manage to balance the cars to balance the performance so we see less one make grids.
but this is not balance problem, can u understand it? the biggest problem for me and a lot % of ppl whos want tuning is that fact we can't have a car that drives the way we want - THIS IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM of non tuning, I just don't like performance of stock suspension, I don't like fact that I can't choose between more grip on corners and speed on straights, I hate basic gearbox ratios too
Why I should adapt to the car? Adjustment setup to mine preferences is not the better option? (and more naturally option in the world of racing)

why they can't just add 2 racing with tunes and 2 without for gr.3 and gr.4?

however, I also see and understand other perspective and I think they should also add option to block tuning in lobbies (like in past) because I has a lot friends whos prefer races without tunes and they can't do that with few friends and randoms in lobby because always someone has faster car with tune

Last edited:
IIRC, they removed it with the same update that changed the race rotation to daily instead of weekly.

They removed it as N 200 or so races were polluted by downrated N400 cars. I suspect once they've found a way to fix that then they might re-allow it.....

Personally I think only very limited tuning should be allowed such as suspension and gearing. No mileage points upgrades etc.

Too often tuning in GT6 etc became about finding glitches to exploit and dialling out all the unique aspects of each car.

Tuning in my personal opinion needs to be realistic and only available in limited quantity as despite some posts here the reality is that it requires time and many of GT target audience do not have that time available on a consistent basis.

Don't argue with these people, they want to come off as more 'hardcore' than others or better drivers than others, they aren't. They need tune to offset their driving deficiencies. The A drivers can do better than everyone else with any car in Gr.3 without tune. As you said if there are two Gr.3 daily races, same course one with tuning and one without, that would be fine. Of course they could make their own lobbies online and arrange all that. PD should just balance Gr.4, and Gr.3 is pretty balanced. 911 is good but there are other cars just as good.

So if people can do better without a tune than those running with, there is no problem allowing a race with tuning right?

The rest of that post is complete bollocks though...

Last edited:
They removed it as N 200 or so races were polluted by downrated N400 cars. I suspect once they've found a way to fix that then they might re-allow it.....

Personally I think only very limited tuning should be allowed such as suspension and gearing. No mileage points upgrades etc.

Too often tuning in GT6 etc became about finding glitches to exploit and dialling out all the unique aspects of each car.

Tuning in my personal opinion needs to be realistic and only available in limited quantity as despite some posts here the reality is that it requires time and many of GT target audience do not have that time available on a consistent basis.

Well put.

Using your logic, why don't you go play Mario Kart if you want a dumbed down racing game?

I/we shouldn't have to play an entire different racer to do something that has been prevalent in both simcade and hardcore sims for a long time. There's nothing really "hardcore sim" about doing a setup at all and it's laughable (and kind of sad) that people seem to think of it that way.

This is supposed to be the competitive mode for GT after all. It's especially frustrating to see such nonsense posted in this thread (like it being unfair) considering how easy it is to find a setup for whatever car you're into. It's not hard to do a quick search on gtplanet or youtube with your phone while playing and copy those setups into the game. But, apparently even that is too difficult for these snowflake gamers.

Snowflakes? You're the one that wants the game changing to help you. I can take it or leave it on the tuning. I tuned comprehensively online in GT 5 & 6. You do know tuning is subjective and dependent on driving style? An alien tune won't work for everybody, and there you have it. People should adapt to fast tunes but you wont adapt to a stock tune?

FIA races are competitive yes. The dailies? Not so much IMO. That's the core game if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm out. Bye.

*Double post, sorry

The N200/N400 issue is a design problem, not a problem with tuning. All PD has to do is limit entry to one class of car and problem solved. IMO tuning should be quite limited in sport mode both in scope and in the number of races available. No tuning events are popular and should remain. Tuning lobbies should be an addition to the game. Like you said no upgrades, no transmission flipping etc. It should reflect real world tuning that would be allowed in a particular series they are trying to mimic. GT3 cars should have a couple of sets of gears and that's it. Add in LSD, suspension and aero and you're done. Street cars could all come with the same gearbox, a close ratio six speed that works on all tracks, no LSD tuning and only limited camber adjustments for balance.

People should adapt to fast tunes but you wont adapt to a stock tune?
I am not looking to adapt to any tune but to tune to adapt the car to what handling traits I prefer that the car is capable of. For so many that want to knock tuning it sure seems that they do not really understand the concept of what it is capable of doing as far as personal preference.

All I keep hearing is I do not have the time and it is not fair because then I am racing against tuned cars. Just because it is tuned does not always mean it is faster. Sometimes it is just more stable making it not be as subject to spinning out under acceleration or the car is not turning into a corner to the best of the cars capability and through suspension adjustments you can alter the way the car behaves or handles.
PD should just balance Gr.4, and Gr.3 is pretty balanced. 911 is good but there are other cars just as good.

Balance of Power has absolutely nothing to do with tuning and if you read many of the post in this thread you would be able to grasp that concept. I have to agree with Mike V27, Mario Kart may be a good game if you prefer the dumbed down racing game concept!

Last edited:
Is that a roast?

I would think they already have a way to fix that- it's a matter of just locking down the power and weight adjustments and leaving the others open, like the TCS and brake bias are now.

Latest Posts

Back