When will they allow Tuning for Daily Races?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 151 comments
So in your world everyone has the ability to play on a level field as long as they jump on the over powered Bop bandwagon and drive the same car as all the other bandwagon hero's!
Drivers and racers that have more of an interest in a realistic balance or racing experience in my opinion would much rather try to make the car they prefer to drive perform the best they can and feel an accomplishment as they can see there work pay off in improved lap times and consistency rather than ride the games bandwagon. I guess that is the difference in someone that wants to get the most possible out of their racing experience and those that are content just being bandwagon jumpers.
No I'm simply saying that if you feel as if that car is op you can use that car to level your playing field,IMO the group classes are a pretty level playing field but I personally have never used those cars I'm pretty loyal to the M4 and M6 and I usually place in the top 3 in qualifying and races,I've raced against those op cars and never felt like they were overwhelmingly better (maybe they had bad driver idk).But if someone really feels as if those cars are super op they have every opportunity to use that car.

In the closed beta, you were able to change the settings for all of the races in sport mode. It was the best part of playing the game in my opinion. I don't know why people are worried about it creating an unbalanced situation for matchmaking. Whether you decided to tune or not, you will still be matched with those at your skill level. Being able to test new new settings with different cars is the whole reason to play a game like this. It's been frustrating to not have the ability to use any settings in sport mode. The only other option is through a lobby but no matter how "clean" the room is, it's not the same as sport mode. I wish they'd at least give us 1 race from sport mode with open settings.

Between drivers who take the time to learn how to setup a car and those that don't, sure. But with time-based qualifying, I don't see how that's a problem. We will see more variety between cars on the grid and everyone will still have someone at their pace to race against.
Well that's the problem,time based qualifying isn't mandatory before entering a lobby,if it was I wouldn't have a problem but it's not,someone who put down a lap time of 2 minutes is in the same lobby as someone who put down 2.20 and those who didn't do qualifying at all,to incorporate tuning you will have to rework the system to match up with people who qualified similar to you.

No I'm simply saying that if you feel as if that car is op you can use that car to level your playing field,IMO the group classes are a pretty level playing field but I personally have never used those cars I'm pretty loyal to the M4 and M6 and I usually place in the top 3 in qualifying and races,I've raced against those op cars and never felt like they were overwhelmingly better (maybe they had bad driver idk).But if someone really feels as if those cars are super op they have every opportunity to use that car.
I just went and checked again and on the N A servers in today's daily gr4 race 9 of the top 10 spots on the leader boards are the Megane. So you are saying if I want to win I should just give in and drive that huh? 9 OF THE TOP 10 BEING THE SAME CAR TURNING THE FASTEST TIMES SHOW THERE ARE PROBLEMS!

I'll briefly chime in and say that at this minute on the Oceania servers, the leaderboard for Gr.4 at Suzuka has a Scirocco 3rd, a Megane 8th, and every other position in the top 10 is held by the 4C.

Strange but true.

GR4
I'll briefly chime in and say that at this minute on the Oceania servers, the leaderboard for Gr.4 at Suzuka has a Scirocco 3rd, a Megane 8th, and every other position in the top 10 is held by the 4C.

Strange but true.
The top position on the NA servers is a 4c at 2:06.772 the next 9 are Megane's with number 2 being 2:07.103

The top position on the NA servers is a 4c at 2:06.772 the next 9 are Megane's with number 2 being 2:07.103
Apologies, as my reply was a little off-topic (or was it?)
And l guess there's a fair bit of "follow the leader" influence involved here.
But it does show that what may be happening in one part of the world isn't necessarily the case the world over.

Directly on topic, unfortunately all I'm reading is "l don't have time" or "l don't know how" and therefore " it isn't fair".
Sorry, but bollocks to all that.
Setting up a car is part of motorsport.

There is already significant inbalance in Sport Mode events
Between superior cars and the spread of qualy times in the field, a "balanced" race it is not.
So arguing tuning will upset the balance is pointless.

I can perhaps understand, let's say, locking aero and transmission.
As much as standard gearbox's suck with the delay between shifts, keeping the cars acceleration and top speed is probably fair enough.
But for the love of God PD, give us access to suspension and diff.

If it's only for 1 event of the Sport Mode races, so be it.
But "options", give us options.
What's wrong with that?

Apologies, as my reply was a little off-topic (or was it?)
And l guess there's a fair bit of "follow the leader" influence involved here.
But it does show that what may be happening in one part of the world isn't necessarily the case the world over.

Directly on topic, unfortunately all I'm reading is "l don't have time" or "l don't know how" and therefore " it isn't fair".
Sorry, but bollocks to all that.
Setting up a car is part of motorsport.

There is already significant inbalance in Sport Mode events
Between superior cars and the spread of qualy times in the field, a "balanced" race it is not.
So arguing tuning will upset the balance is pointless.

I can perhaps understand, let's say, locking aero and transmission.
As much as standard gearbox's suck with the delay between shifts, keeping the cars acceleration and top speed is probably fair enough.
But for the love of God PD, give us access to suspension and diff.

If it's only for 1 event of the Sport Mode races, so be it.
But "options", give us options.
What's wrong with that?
I agree fully, I would like the option to at least adjust the rear gear ratio's, I think it was the GR4 Porsche Caymen maybe at the Suzuka track but it was topped out in high gear at 3/4 the distance down the straight stretch. It would be nice to at least have the gearing match up better to the track.
Some cars you never even get into high gear on many tracks. If I could only adjust one thing gearing would be my choice.

I just went and checked again and on the N A servers in today's daily gr4 race 9 of the top 10 spots on the leader boards are the Megane. So you are saying if I want to win I should just give in and drive that huh? 9 OF THE TOP 10 BEING THE SAME CAR TURNING THE FASTEST TIMES SHOW THERE ARE PROBLEMS!
If you feel they're op then sure, I dont see what's stopping you except pride, this doesn't seem like a tune problem this seems like a PD balancing problem,how would putting the ability to tune help when there is a op car? All that would do is make the car even more op.

Last edited:
I don't see how. Your grid position is always based on your qualifying time and there is always a large spread of times across the grid. Tuning or no tuning doesn't change anything about that.
I'm saying what happens to the people who don't qualify,qualifying is not mandatory in Sport mode before entering a lobby,so what does it go off of? Previous qualifying times from when you did a race before?

If you feel they're op then sure, I dont see what's stopping you except pride, this doesn't seem like a tune problem this seems like a PD balancing probably,how would putting the ability to tune help when there is a op car? All that would do is make the car even more op.
Not always, the current OP car may be benefiting from a much better overall base tune and additional tuning may not add to the performance where other cars may not have as good of a tune as its base and could gain quite a bit. Neat part of tuning sometimes better performance or lap times is there sometimes it is just making a car more stable or easier to run on a specific track consistently. Sometimes but rarely the base tune will be the best that there is across the board.

Just because tuning is allowed BoP adjustments would not cease.

I'm saying what happens to the people who don't qualify,qualifying is not mandatory in Sport mode before entering a lobby,so what does it go off of? Previous qualifying times from when you did a race before?
Sorry, but I'm struggling to follow your logic regarding qualifying.

Isn't everything you fear already happening?
Allowing car setups wont suddenly make that situation worse.

In fact I would argue it would improve the situation.
I, for one, would tune my car in the practice area so l know what I'm doing is relevant to race conditions.
Therefore it would encourage more people to actually set qualifying times.
And qualifying times they spent a decent amount of time on.
Also, it probably removes this "false" qualifying, because people are more inclined to race the car they tuned, as opposed to setting a qualifying time in an OP car and then race in another car, pretending they set their qualy time in that car. (which I'm sure we all agree is happening as it stands).

So if anything, qualifying, and in turn the race groupings, are actually more reliable and accurate.

As a sideline, being able to setup a car to suit your own personal driving style, also goes a long way to removing the advantage an OP car on fixed settings has.
So all l see is a win/win situation here.

Last edited:
I always see people without qualifying times placed at the back. Beyond that, I imagine it orders them based on DR. I don't see what that has to do with setups though.

If you feel they're op then sure, I dont see what's stopping you except pride

I would much rather race a car that I like than a car that is the bandwagon of the week that I do not like at all. Enjoyment in driving a particular car is a lot of the reason I prefer to race in certain classes and not in other classes.

Although this is getting off topic I fully support that to enter a sport mode race that you must qualify the car you are going to race to be allowed entry and all aids you will be using in race must be active during qualifying to be used in the races. If you cannot spend 6 minutes to post a Q time then you do not have the time to be racing.

Also Fast lap times within a race if faster than your Q time should then immediately become your new Q time for the day to prevent Sandbagging during Qualifying and affecting future races for that day in that class on that track.

But back to the subject that none of that should affect tuning being allowed in Sport races. Rankings and Q times are all that set the field, tuning does not change any of those variances.

Sorry, but I'm struggling to follow your logic regarding qualifying.

Isn't everything you fear already happening?
Allowing car setups wont suddenly make that situation worse.

In fact I would argue it would improve the situation.
I, for one, would tune my car in the practice area so l know what I'm doing is relevant to race conditions.
Therefore it would encourage more people to actually set qualifying times.
And qualifying times they spent a decent amount of time on.
Also, it probably removes this "false" qualifying, because people are more inclined to race the car they tuned, as opposed to setting a qualifying time in an OP car and then race in another car, pretending they set their qualy time in that car. (which I'm sure we all agree is happening as it stands).

So if anything, qualifying, and in turn the race groupings, are actually more reliable and accurate.

As a sideline, being able to setup a car to suit your own personal driving style, also goes a long way to removing the advantage an OP car on fixed settings has.
So all l see is a win/win situation here.
Someone was saying that you're placed in a lobby based off of your qualifying time,and I was just wondering how do they determine where to put people who who haven't qualified because I've been in lobbies where a lot of people don't bother qualifying so how would it be fair to place fast lap times with people who haven't put a lap time down before they entered a lobby. I just don't think that's what they intended Sport mode to be that's why they made another mode to cater to those who wanted to tune,I guess the compromise would be to add a tune section to the selction of available races.

I just don't think that's what they intended Sport mode to be that's why they made another mode to cater to those who wanted to tune
And what mode would that be that has on line races available that fills the race grids by matching rankings and times of the people online wanting to race?

Someone was saying that you're placed in a lobby based off of your qualifying time,and I was just wondering how do they determine where to put people who who haven't qualified because I've been in lobbies where a lot of people don't bother qualifying so how would it be fair to place fast lap times with people who haven't put a lap time down before they entered a lobby. I just don't think that's what they intended Sport mode to be that's why they made another mode to cater to those who wanted to tune,I guess the compromise would be to add a tune section to the selction of available races.
I'm not going to pretend l know how these things work, because l simply don't know.
But yes, clearly on some level, you are grouped according to your qualy time.

But you'll find people who haven't put down a qualifying time in most events, regardless of your DR or SR rating.
Whether they wish to setup a car (tune) is completely irrelevant to that situation.

Some people are more than happy to enter an event without even practising first.
It's as simple as that.

I think it's completely asinine to jump into a game that allows tuning suspension/aero/tuning, then dislike that people want those abilities turned on for the main attraction of the game because you don't have time to learn it. So go play another game. I'm not saying that in a "you can't sit here" type of way either. I'm literally saying that you aren't hurting for racing games to choose from in this console generation.

Tuning a car to suit your driving style and the track has always been a huge part of Gran Turismo and racing in the real world, period! Even a spec series, where everyone has the same exact car allows tuning for track and driver. The excuses that "some people are better at tuning/I don't have time" are ridiculous and, quite frankly, not anyone else's problem.

Last edited:
Why will they allow tuning for online races?

Online should be a level field so no Tuning is absolutely fine.

Not everyone has the time to dig in,have knowledge and tune and test so no Tuning is great.

Don't get this tuning in online race at all.

GT League is coming. Tune there.

Also why you created a thread is beyond me.

He created the thread because other people may share his opinion. Also he is entitled to express his opinion. You didn’t have to read it though...

On a side note, what is unfair and/or unlevel about tuning? Everyone would have the option to play around with their car? Not everyone drives a car the same way and crafting a tune that fits your driving style would be rather useful for serious drivers. After all they make you wait 10-20 min inbetween races... you would have so much time to work on a tune.

The problem is that people can create alian tunes that i cant make because my tuning skills are bad. So the people who spent ours and ours because they have that time will win from the people who just want to race some races after work and dont have time after a work day of 12 hours 2 kids a wife and a cat to tune there car first.

Go to custom lobbys or maybe poly can make races beside the normal races where you can tune but not normal races gone and only tuning races.

The problem is that people can create alian tunes that i cant make because my tuning skills are bad. So the people who spent ours and ours because they have that time will win from the people who just want to race some races after work and dont have time after a work day of 12 hours 2 kids a wife and a cat to tune there car first.

Go to custom lobbys or maybe poly can make races beside the normal races where you can tune but not normal races gone and only tuning races.
Again, the tuning sub forum has everything you need. It requires actually trying to use it though.

The problem l have with that response is two fold.

What "alien tunes"?
From my experience, and from what l read and see, there are no unworldly setups.
Most things seem to be behaving as they should.
And even if they weren't, it would become public knowledge pretty fast.
So why choose to deny those that wish to tune their cars the opportunity?

Also, why must tuning be banished to open lobbies?
If you wish to argue about it, why is there no "Fixed settings" option in open lobbies?
Surely they should include that.

Not all of us enjoy One Make races, and yet PD are happy to force, more than often, these events on us.
Can you not see that one event in Sport Mode could be used as something other than a "Fixed settings" event?

I struggle to see the difference when it comes to everyone's personal preferences.

*Edit*
I should add this, the "l don't have the time" excuse needs to go.
Some people can't afford/don't wish to spend money on a wheel.
So let's ban all wheel users too.
Honestly, where does this "I'm personally disadvantaged" argument stop?

Last edited:
I'm not going to get into a long discussion about it, balance the Gr.4 cars and don't allow for tuning on Sport mode. Maybe for the tournaments since that is more competitive. Sport mode is mostly for casual racing, as not many people make private lobbies. If you are a more competitive driver, it will match you with better drivers. No need for tuning on Sport mode or it will unbalance the game.

I'm not going to get into a long discussion about it, balance the Gr.4 cars and don't allow for tuning on Sport mode. Maybe for the tournaments since that is more competitive. Sport mode is mostly for casual racing, as not many people make private lobbies. If you are a more competitive driver, it will match you with better drivers. No need for tuning on Sport mode or it will unbalance the game.

wow.. you are totally out of scope of the game. It is called "Sport" for the fact that it is a competitive game of racing based on the GT series. And in all seriousness, people that take this game for that, expect tuning which then allows for a more competitive game and enjoyable as it then caters to their personal style of driving.

Yes, to "tune" you actually have to take a few minutes and drive the car and practice. Practice makes perfect after all. And the beauty of this game, it has the ability to save setups.. so you can create one for each track.

And it is about driving a car you like. It is not about the "driver" vs "car". That is what the "one make" races are all about

wow.. you are totally out of scope of the game. It is called "Sport" for the fact that it is a competitive game of racing based on the GT series. And in all seriousness, people that take this game for that, expect tuning which then allows for a more competitive game and enjoyable as it then caters to their personal style of driving.

Yes, to "tune" you actually have to take a few minutes and drive the car and practice. Practice makes perfect after all. And the beauty of this game, it has the ability to save setups.. so you can create one for each track.

And it is about driving a car you like. It is not about the "driver" vs "car". That is what the "one make" races are all about
Tend to agree.
We already have multiple one make races every day.
The question has to be asked though, what exactly is the issue with allowing tuning for one of the Sport Mode events?
Noone is being forced to enter these events.
There are others if people aren't interested.

Some seem to be taking the approach that it's an all or nothing situation.

Curious as to why Adam thinks it will "unbalance the game" though.

Last edited:

Well the creators of the game seem to disagree with you, lol. Tuning will make Sport mode boring. People who tune aren't more hardcore than others or better drivers. Anyway doesn't seem like PD wants to lose the mainstream casual gamers who make up most of their sales. People who take it that seriously probably have time to play all tournaments and tuning could be allowed there.

Well the creators of the game seem to disagree with you, lol. Tuning will make Sport mode boring. People who tune aren't more hardcore than others or better drivers. Anyway doesn't seem like PD wants to lose the mainstream casual gamers who make up most of their sales. People who take it that seriously probably have time to play all tournaments and tuning could be allowed there.

you are rather naive. If you had read the original postings before release of the game about it's intent and the reason it was called "sport" vs "GT#", you would not of posted such absurdity.

Granted, there was a little "backlash" regarding the fact it was full online and PD has back peddled a little on that. From where I sat, I and those around me did not have an issue as they understood the direction PD was going with this version. And in fact tuning was allow before and now we are stuck with "one make" races regardless of the title of the game.

Well, yep.
It would seem the developers do indeed disagree.
At this point in time at least.

Sport mode, when the game first released and we could tune our cars, was anything but boring.

And please don't confuse the fact that people who wish the opportunity to tune their cars are being elitist.
Many people, of varied skill sets, would like this option.

And at the end of the day, it is nothing more than that.
An option.

Who knows, perhaps you might enjoy the challenge.
If nothing else, by participating in such events at least you may learn something you might already not understand fully.
We all started tuning wondering what this black science was all about.
But slowly things start falling into place.

Last edited:
Back