Which book are you currently reading?

Is this your first foray down the path of the beam? If so, get ready cause it gets even weirder after the 4th book.

Yes and no. I've tried reading the series before, but this last try is the first time I really got into them.

Of course there is a gray area since I've read plenty of King's other books and quite a few are set in the same universe (so I should also be somewhat prepared for any weirdness :lol:).

I'm currently about 2/3 through the 4th book, so I'm making progress. It should go faster now that it's getting warmer and I prefer reading outside.

Been looking forward to this arriving...

D77RsQ2WkAEmXP_.jpg

Ooh, I'm happy to have found this thread! Here are some of the books I've read earlier this year,
6066433.jpg

Which is a biography of Napoleon's stepson. Eugene is one of the most admirable military men of his time.

403044.jpg

This was a good one, focusing on Scottish mercenaries from the 1400s-1700s. Excellent read.

2583181.jpg

Which is a German novel written in the 17th century, set against the Thirty Years War. This was an entertaining but strange book.

And I just finished reading this excellent book by Christopher Duffy:
479542.jpg

And I plan on starting In the Wake of Napoleon: Being the Memoirs (1807-1809) of Ferdinand Von Funck, Lieutenant General in the Saxon Army and Adjutant General to the King of Saxony as soon as finals are over in one week. I look forward to reading this interesting memoir.

45945337.jpg

SiQfzcLl.jpg

Just finished the section on the Hour of the Wolf, getting into the bulk of Aegon III's regency with him having just married his cousin Jaehaera.

Remembered that I’d been meaning to read Naked Sun by Asimov for many years so got one brought back from Taiwan recently. Nearly finished it, easy read, but very enjoyable.

Sorry, that joke's probably more one for British readers. You could google 'British Prime minister sex with pigs head' if you wanted a starter for ten.
Gotcha. You had me flipping through the pages looking for a connection, though!

:lol:

8A454EAC-BAC9-46A1-AFF7-957674B473B9.jpeg

Currently half way through this bizarre tale. Can’t really picture where it’s going, only that it’s a really surreal story that I’m enjoying. I just hope the second half doesn’t disappoint.

About halfway through the first book of the Gentlemen Bastards series, "The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's a rather good book that tells the story of Locke, and a group of con men called, as you might expect, the Gentlemen Bastards, he is sold too.
Seems like a pretty solid take on the "evil" side of a fantasy novel. It does tend to jump from present to past a lot though, which can throw you off of you're not paying attention.

91pbvnDj5FL.jpg

I just finished listening to the second book of the Locke Lamora, "Red Seas Under Red Skies" authored by Scott Lynch and narrated by Michael Page. A great pair of fantasy books about the misadventures of a con man. Lynch developed quite a good set of characters and does a really good job of misdirecting his foreshadowing. And page was a far better narrator than I was anticipating. He does a great job bringing these characters to life.
Now I am taking a departure from my norm of listening to audio books and have blown the dust off this old classic.
81z2CP0cdlL.jpg

The collection of Black Company books by Glen Cook. More misadventures of miscreants! I've actually had this book for about 20 years and have only read the first story. Also about 20 years ago. Definitely looking forward to digging into this one. Perhaps I'll go so far as to read it to my son as well. He's a few months shy of 2, so he won't likely understand the contents, but he does enjoy books and being read too.

Just got a whole pile of about 20 books from a friend who’s leaving town. Mostly sci-fi, some I’ve already read, I’ve picked Author. C. Clark’s A Fall of Moondust to start with.

It took far longer than I intended it to, but I've finished the main Dark Tower books! Overall it was a very good read and I'm happy I gave the series another go!

Next up for me is Circe by Madeline Miller. I honestly don't know what to expect going into it, but the summary sounds interesting and the cover looks cool so I figured I would give it a shot.

40195463.jpg

A Hole In My Life by Jack Gantos

It's an autobiography about his aspiration to a writer and how he ended up in prison for smuggling hash. He is mostly known for his children's books.

I got the book in high school, almost 14 years ago. I had some time so I decided to pick it up. This is about the second book I read outside of education/textbooks since then. :boggled:

Last month I read Winston S. Churchill's magnificent biography of his ancestor John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough: Marlborough: His Life and Times. My library had all six volumes of the original American edition (the British series only had four volumes) and I was fortunate to have easy access to read them. All six volumes were superb. I can't imagine many people would enjoy these books now, but I would still recommend them wholeheartedly.

This month I've been reading through the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S Forester and am currently on book number 10, Lord Hornblower.

upload_2019-9-12_16-27-5.jpeg

Wildly different from the movies, I’m half way through and struggling to put it down. Such a great bit of story telling.

Wildly different from the movies, I’m half way through and struggling to put it down. Such a great bit of story telling.
That was the last book I read. Very good. And not at all like the movie.

Currently reading The Dogs of War.

I think that's almost a universal truth, movies being very little like the books. Back when I was 11, Jurassic Park was the big movie out in theaters. Before I could see it my mom made me read the book. I equally loved and was disappointed by the movie. Taught me a good lesson though. If it's already out, watch the movie first to temper the disappointment. I wish I had waited a couples years to read Ready Player One....

Latest Posts

Back