Which book are you currently reading?

I haven't posted in this thread in awhile, but I've reached the halfway point of my 40 book goal for 2017.

halfway.JPG

I would be even further, but quite a few of the books have been on the longer side. And before you ask, HGTTG and The Shining are both re-reads.

"Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: The Mavericks Who Plotted Hitler's Defeat"

A team of determined warriors who played by no rules

Not brilliantly written, but a gripping and unique tale

0227_churchill-01-1000x681.jpg

The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith

In 1956, Nikita Khruschev made the so-called "Secret Speech", a condemnation of Joseph Stalin and Stalinism. The story follows Leo Demidov, an inspector in the Homicide Division - a secretive detective bureau set up to investigate crimes that do not officially exist - as he looks into a series of murders and suicides related to Khruschev's speech. He soon discovers that something much more sinister is at work.

The Late Show by Michael Connelly.

New character for Connelly - Renée Ballard, an LAPD detective who lives out of her van. She has been exiled to "the late show", the graveyard shift, after a complaint about a superior officer's sexual harrassment fell through. Ballard spends her nights catching cases that she never closed because in the morning she has to turn them over to the other detectives. While opening the case of a transsexual prostitute beaten to within an inch of her life, Ballard is pulled into the periphery of a mass shooting at a nightclub.

It's standard Connelly fare so far. He's at his best when he's balancing several narrative threads, a technique that he's perfected for some time. But I'm not completely sold on Renée Ballard - she feels like a solution to the Harry Bosch problem: Bosch has been fired, re-hired, semi-retired, reinstated and transferred so many times that there's not much more that can be done. The Wrong Side of Goodbye effectively moved him out of the city, but it's obvious that Connelly still wants to write stories in Los Angeles. Ballard seems to be a way around that without having to invent an excuse to bring Bosch back. She feels like one of his regular partners, but I don't see why an established character like Talisa Soto or Kiz Rider wouldn't work. But I do find her introduction interesting since Connelly has another Bosch novel coming out later this year.

The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith

In 1956, Nikita Khruschev made the so-called "Secret Speech", a condemnation of Joseph Stalin and Stalinism. The story follows Leo Demidov, an inspector in the Homicide Division - a secretive detective bureau set up to investigate crimes that do not officially exist - as he looks into a series of murders and suicides related to Khruschev's speech. He soon discovers that something much more sinister is at work.

Oooooh, this looks interesting from the synopsis. I'm assuming it's fiction?

Oooooh, this looks interesting from the synopsis. I'm assuming it's fiction?
Yes, it's fiction. But it's built around historical events.

It might also be worth reading Child 44, the first in the Leo Demidov series. The Secret Speech is stronger, but Child 44 sets up some of the sub-plots involving Demidov's family. Don't bother with the film adaptation, though.

Aussie Grit by Mark Webber

On the one hand, it's the story of an annoyingly arrogant bastard. On the other, it's a compellingly interesting story of a single-minded progression of a career with a goal of F1. The very frank inclusion of his relationship with a person his family disapproved of is an important part of the tale, since she multiplied his determination. I'm mostly over my distaste for Webber's arrogance since firstly, the rest of the story is engaging and, secondly, I'm sure that without a surfeit of self-confidence, one doesn't make onto an F1 team. Recommended.

Currently reading Surface Detail by Iain M Banks.

Shamefully I didn't read anything by him until after his death. I'm making up for that now.

Just finished reading Crisis of Conscience & In Search of Christian Freedom by Raymond Franz. He was a JW for decades & spent 9 years of that time on their governing body; in these books he uncovers all the things that go on behind the scenes that are hidden from the average member. I consider these books to be absolutely essential reading for anyone even remotely associated with the JW's. They are a real eye opener!

I'm currently reading Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan. It's about his experience of being indoctrinated into the Moonies cult in the 70's, how he escaped, & then started to work in the field of helping others exit destructive cults. Very interesting stuff!

images

Phil Gaimon's stories of his rise to pro status and all that goes with it. Very informal and funny, almost like he's telling you the tales in a pub over a beer. Borrowed it from a friend and at half way through I'm really enjoying it, laughing at some of the stories as some of the crap he got up to is pretty mad.

Probably not of interest to anyone who isn't in to bikes, compared to Lance Armstrong's book which anyone could read, but for a cyclist or racing fan it's worth checking out and somewhat educational.

The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus

It was quite striking as I was reading though the first pages. Unexpected to say the least (I had no prior knowledge of the book content, only knew about the myth in itself).

Tom Clancy's Duty and Honor written by Grant Blackwood
29952888.jpg

My first foray into Tom Clancy's novel since reading my Grandaddy's copy of "The Hunt for Red October" as a thirteen-year-old.
I'm nearly half way through the book, and I am really enjoying it. Need to go back and read the other Jack Ryan novels.

Started it at the cottage last month, but haven't gotten around to finishing it quite yet:

51SrWRJAjUL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm on the fence about it, which I suppose should be expected of DFW. Infinite Jest still stands as one of my favourite books of all time, but that was work. This is too, and so far the payoff hasn't been quite worth it.

Tom Clancy's Duty and Honor written by Grant Blackwood
29952888.jpg

My first foray into Tom Clancy's novel since reading my Grandaddy's copy of "The Hunt for Red October" as a thirteen-year-old.
I'm nearly half way through the book, and I am really enjoying it. Need to go back and read the other Jack Ryan novels.

You do realize it's not an actual Clancy novel, right?

I would suggest reading them in chronological order, it's a very good series sans a few books. I started a couple years ago and have gotten to Threat Vector, which I plan on starting after my current book (Vince Flynn's Term Limits).

You do realize it's not an actual Clancy novel, right?

Both Grant Blackwood and Mark Greaney co-wrote Jack Ryan books with Clancy when he was still alive so they both do a pretty good job continuing the series from what I've heard, granted Greaney is the better of the two. There's a couple new authors taking the series over though so who knows how it will go from here.

The Pokemon Adventures manga, nearly finished the Yellow Chapter.

For some reason unlike the Anime, the Manga is able to get away with such violence as suffocation, limbs being ripped off and having a body pierced through and still be in the Kids section in my book store (because Pokemon)

I haven't posted in this thread in awhile, but I've reached the halfway point of my 40 book goal for 2017.

View attachment 655963

I would be even further, but quite a few of the books have been on the longer side. And before you ask, HGTTG and The Shining are both re-reads.

10 more books and you'd equal Bill Gates's reading quota for the year.
I've heard that Warren Buffett spends 80 percent of his time reading. What the heck is he reading anyway? Stock reports?
Just kidding . . . but seems like reading can be a lucrative business.

Among the many books I'm ripping through right now is:

Canada's First Nations - A History of the Founding Peoples from Earliest Times. Olive Patricia Dickason. (Oxford University Press.)

IMG_1480_zpsyqxhbwwn.jpg

Reading this makes me realize that the tina who was fey enough to rub cake in her face on video recently (shortly after the Charlottesville debacle) while 'supporting' indigenous folk would only make Amerindians aghast at her ignorance.
Why don't people actually talk about what they know?
Then again . . . the internet has taken 'freedom of expression' to a whole new level.

Last edited:
Finding that many people are really unaware of what the history books say (before they are all burned) about the American Civil War, I had to drop in a synopsis about it in our discussion about 'America' . . . and so had to hit these books at length, gleaning facts and figures that I could compile into a smooth and readable account reported as objectively as possible.

In the end, it turned out to be great reading. Again.

IMG_1492_zpsd23u8txi.jpg

Almost finished with 1984 by George Orwell. An actually engaging writting style with so much to learn from it.

And then I'll start with Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Another classic of which I have 0 expectations because nobody I know has read it

Over the last 2/3 weeks:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
I wasn't quite sold when I first finished it but it has grown on me. Liked the premise a lot. Planning on watching the TV adaptation eventually but I have a lot to watch/read at the moment!

I, Robot
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire

All by Isaac Asimov. Managed to score the entire Robots/Foundation series at a charity shop so I dove straight in. Love all of these books, very sharply written, strikingly prescient and the 1600 odd pages absolutely flew by. Going to take a break from Asimov before I jump into the Foundation series.

News of a Kidnapping - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
This is currently my 'throw in a bag and read it when you're waiting for a bus' book. I'm more familiar with his fiction work so to see his evocative style applied to long form journalism is a treat. Nearly done with it.

Also of note since I last posted:

Crime and Punishment, and The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Anna Karenina
, and (the big one) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

all trans. by Pevear and Volokhonsky. They're all amazing books that dig deep into humanity. There's just so much life in all of them and their reputation as difficult books is a bit misplaced - the names can be a little confusing but you quickly get used to it.

Last edited:
Picked up a copy of Philip Pullmans latest not quite prequel/sequel to His Dark Materials Trilogy.

la-belle-sauvage.jpg

a couple of chapters in and it already feels very familiar and homely.

Finished the first four Foundation books:

Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge

I'm thoroughly Asimov'd out by the end of Edge (even though it was really good), so I'm currently reading What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami which has been really helpful for my own training. There's even some valuable perspective/life lessons to be had. I didn't realise he started writing (and running) in his early 30s, which gives me hope for the path I'm currently on.

I'm also reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, love his style and take on the Western genre. Definitely quite horrific and gruesome at times though.

I've finished reading for the year and have covered 20,739 pages over 40 books. That's 5,389 pages and 12 more books than what I did last year.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/52400155?

I'm thinking of keeping my goal for 2018 at 40 as I plan on re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire in the (small) hope that The Winds of Winter will eventually release.

Finished and just about reread Oathbringer. Also rereading Warbreaker. Once i finish those two i plan on reading Black Company. Ive had the book for years but havent read beyond the synopsis.
I've finished reading for the year and have covered 20,739 pages over 40 books. That's 5,389 pages and 12 more books than what I did last year.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/52400155?

I'm thinking of keeping my goal for 2018 at 40 as I plan on re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire in the (small) hope that The Winds of Winter will eventually release.
Jeez! Those are some numbers! Ive read over 40 as well, but 37 of those were on Audible, so i am not to key on counting them as "read" since i didnt do the hard work.

Back